Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed

Transformers News: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 8:50AM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Reviews
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 31,905

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Dinobot Month is upon us! Run for your lives! (or not)

Previously...Issue #81 left off in perfect cliffhanger style. After just getting introduced and proving their metal in this issue, The Wreckers faced an onslaught of Megatron launched nukes. Caught with their afts in a bind, the end looked to be quick, and clean.

Would we be saying goodbye to the Wreckers as soon as we met them? Who would tell the Autobots on Cybertron of what has become of Earth?

Holy Explosive Endings! Same bot time same bot channel... (one month later-ish)


'Loose Ends: Part 2', Issue #82 opens with S P O I L E R S...okay not really, because the five page preview will show you the Wreckers fate of...escape pods! Yes, they had time to get to escape pods (just barely) and shoot to Earth where they regrouped and prepared for Megatron’s onslaught. It was very ‘we only have one chance’ ala the Superfriends, but honestly, how else were they really going to survive? Forgiveable, I suppose.

Wait...Megatron’s onslaught you may question. He’s only one bot. Ah, yes, but he has a small army of familiar lobotomized zombie-like Decepticons to help him and had 21 years to plot his revenge. No more free will for his pawns... Megatron’s orders are followed no matter what. Failing will never be the fault of one of his ‘followers’ again, although I am sure he will find some way to blame the inevitable failure of this trap on them (Starscream, most likely).

Image
Can you tell if I'm wearing a piece?

Let the petrorabbit hunt begin! Instead of petrorabbits though, Wreckers are the endangered species. And as Megatron’s undead horde searches for the Wreckers, the Wreckers try to collect their bearings, their injured comrades, stay low, and then attempt to find a communication array to contact Cybertron.

Ssseeerrvos. SSSEEERRVOS.


August is Dinobot month, remember? For good reason. We now switch to Grimlock en route to Nebulos to find a cure for his (and others) nucleon enhanced and cursed forms. He wants to transform again and thinks the key to that is somewhere on Nebulos.

Viewing a data slug with information on it by ‘Project Lazarus’ senior scientist, BORX, Grimlock believes he can be helped by the scientists working on this project which happens to be taking place on Nebulos. What is this project? Many of you might be able to guess, but I don’t want to spoil it for you. It could prove to bolster both Autobot and Decepticon ranks, if successful.

Grimlock lands on Nebulos finding it to be much less populated than he remembered. Then he is attacked by what appear to be humanoids under some sort of mind control. In a fairly un-Grimlock like moment, he reflects that he must not use lethal force on them to defend himself. And then gets himself concussed and a familiar appendage or two appears in panel to gather him up.

Image
This what new touchy-feely Grimlock get...


By the way, Magnus gets very frustrated and has himself a moment...using once again, the curse word he became so famous for... directing his anger at Kup and Grimlock for being rule breakers without him (more or less).

Image
I can't hand...oh just move on.

Back on Earth. Kup is captured by Zombie Skywarp and has yet another kooky chapter to add to his war story arsenal. Megatron gloats. Megatron sets and baits a trap for..who else? As we near the end of this issue Rack N’ Ruin make a discovery, finding the first group of human survivors, and their protector, a warrior with He-man’s hair and Black Vulcan’s superpowers. And a somewhat familiar name. End issue.

Image
Is it circuit breaker with a newish name?

I am starting to enjoy this series more. Yes, I know it is only the second (second and a half) issue, but I enjoyed this one a lot. Very, very familiar feel, and yet, not as campy feeling as all the previous vintage issues were (most of the time). I found it entertaining. I like this bat crazy, and yet ultimately intelligent Megatron-- I don’t care if I inspire my followers, I’ll simply lobotomize them and easily command them to do exactly what I want. Dude, really? Wow.

And the horrible, twisted situation Megatron has Ratchet in...

Image
I'm at a loss of words too...

Image
Used Ratchet for sale! High miles, but really, really quiet. Runs great!
Contact MANICALMEGS@con.com


Kup’s inner and exterior dialoguing prove again to be fantastic, adding more and more to his character. His revelations about the Autobots lack of ‘cleaning up after themselves’ even after 21 years have passed, his devotion to taking responsibility for it, and doing something about it, are what sets this book apart from the previous 80 in the series.

Image
Wait didn't Unicron...oh well. Turbo Revvin' Dead Con.

Springer dons much more of a leadership role, as he should, and Grimlock’s characterization is well done, building on his new found (late in the original series) appreciation for all life, and trying to fight to protect those that are weaker than he is.

All the main Autobot characters in fact, seem to be reacting to and dealing with different responsibilities, and how they do this is obviously effecting their choices, and relationships. I like this a lot.

As the second issue in the series, we are now beyond the introduction, catch up, and setup, we are now getting more into the characters, and into the deeper action. I also particularly enjoy seeing things that have been happening in the ‘missing’ 21 years... Project Lazarus for one.

And the art is growing back on me. It’s comfortable, and I enjoyed practically every panel of it. There really are some fantastic examples of the more classical Transformers style. Action sequences are excellent, and as a fellow podcaster said, it’s very easy to recognize who is doing what in the panels.

Not much to bag on here, the beginning escape of the Wreckers was a little convenient, but ultimately acceptable. The worst thing is I have to wait another month to read the next issue. Kudos to Simon, Andrew, and the rest of the team for this. You now have the responsibility to continue to keep it up... please!

Pick this issue up Wednesday at your LCS. Don’t miss out.

:CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: .5 out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Credit(s): tigertracks 24
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1406054)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 31st, 2012 @ 9:31am CDT
Yeah, this is definitely bringing back old and great memories. The original series (especially Furman's final 25 issues) is the reason I am a Transfan. More so than the toys, and definitely more than the original cartoon. The '86 movie is an exception, but otherwise the cartoon was what it was, an 80s toys commercial.

Anyway, hopefully Furman kept Grimlock as his favorite, and has big things in store for him, as he is also my favorite comics character, hopefully joined by Hot Rod in this series. I never cared for the Wreckers, but I tolerate them. I just hope they don't stay the main focus of the story, because that will get boring, and quick. I can't wait until tomorrow, I got both covers of #81, but I will only get Cover A of this issue, as I really don't like Grimlock's alt mode as it is drawn. But the story is top notch, and hopefully it stays that way.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1406527)
Posted by Seibertron on August 1st, 2012 @ 2:15pm CDT
Didn't even notice the familiar legs in the panel the first go around until you pointed it out, Matt, which go to pick up the fallen Grimlock. Nice catch ... and that was the one character that I was hoping Furman would find a way to bring back. Woo hoo! This character is one of the more complicated characters from this comic series and it's nice to see Furman decided to "regenerate" him as well.

Didn't see you mention it in your review, but does everyone know who these Zombified Decepticons are that Megatron has under his control? They're all the (presumed) left over Decepticons from the Underbase saga (Marvel TF #50). You know what would be a nice twist is if they all regain control of their minds and seek revenge on Starscream on some level for what he did to them. That would be awesome. I'm surprised that plot point got picked up and that I never once thought "hey, who's going to pick up all of those 'dead' Transformers back on Earth from the Underbase saga?" I guess I was always just caught up with what was in print and never gave it much thought that the surviving Decepticons wouldn't have picked up their fallen comrades or that the Autobots would have just left the dead Decepticons behind. The 1980s were a much simpler time indeed.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1406590)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 1st, 2012 @ 6:11pm CDT
Now that you say that Ryan, it does make sense. I have not gotten back to the 'Underbase saga' in awhile, so the connection for me was not there yet, but now that you say it, yes, those cons were the ones that got slagged.

Thanks for the opportunity to read and review it. It's turning out to be a good series... 2.5 issues in. :D
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1406617)
Posted by omarvance on August 1st, 2012 @ 8:03pm CDT
I like that the Headmaster characters will live again, they just won't be Headmasters. I have to feel sorry for poor Ratchet tho. And where is Shockwave? He was on the Ark.

As for the zombies, if they were from the Underbase attack, why weren't they transported to Cybertron by Primus? Even the injured bots were beamed back for battle. Earth should have been empty except for those on the Ark.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1406687)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 2nd, 2012 @ 5:32am CDT
Shockwave was last seen being attacked by both Galvatron and Megatron. Galvatron then subsequently got bitch slapped by Fortress Maximus and now (presumably) resides at the bottom of a lake. Megatron made it out of the crashed Ark, but Shockwave wasn't shown. So it was just assumed he either died in the crash (hard to believe) got torn apart my Megs and Galvy (a little less harder to believe, but still hard, as Shockwave is very tough and smarter than both of those nutjobs combined) or he's deactivated but not dead in the Ark wreckage. (Of course, we're discounting G2 here, in which Megatron gets the Ark rebuilt and presumably tosses every dead TF off of it.)

As for Starscream's victims, they were by all means dead at the time of Primus's awakening. They wouldn't have been recalled, as they would have served no purpose. Then Megatron apparently revived them with few of their cerebro-circuits missing. Trans-zombies. 1 of Furman's top 3 ideas ever.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407043)
Posted by djhiem on August 3rd, 2012 @ 1:47pm CDT
Loving this series. Was it ever explained why Grimlock and co (who showed up mid Unicron battle in #75) weren't teleported by Primus? I can't remember an explanation.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407078)
Posted by omarvance on August 3rd, 2012 @ 3:55pm CDT
djhiem wrote:Loving this series. Was it ever explained why Grimlock and co (who showed up mid Unicron battle in #75) weren't teleported by Primus? I can't remember an explanation.


Not that I know of but I'd assume Primus was only pulling from Earth. He knew the majority were there.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407235)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 4th, 2012 @ 8:56am CDT
omarvance wrote:
djhiem wrote:Loving this series. Was it ever explained why Grimlock and co (who showed up mid Unicron battle in #75) weren't teleported by Primus? I can't remember an explanation.


Not that I know of but I'd assume Primus was only pulling from Earth. He knew the majority were there.


I'm not sure either but Grimlock was busy Nucleoning the fallen bots at that time wasn't he? I haven't read those issues in quite some time.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407300)
Posted by Burn on August 4th, 2012 @ 4:16pm CDT
Loved this issue. It's just fun, and we get to see characters in their true 80's personas. And the artwork, while many would say it's crap compared to modern standards, is fresh and different.
And it's not done by John Romita Jr.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407304)
Posted by Seibertron on August 4th, 2012 @ 4:36pm CDT
Burn wrote:Loved this issue. It's just fun, and we get to see characters in their true 80's personas. And the artwork, while many would say it's crap compared to modern standards, is fresh and different.
And it's not done by John Romita Jr.


I think I finally figured out what's missing or different from Wildman's modern work since computer coloring and his work during the 80s and 90s. It's the absence of cross hatching. It's there a little bit, but not like it used to be back in the day. I love Wildman's unique look for Transformers but his modern work is definitely different than how it was 20 or 25 years ago.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407308)
Posted by Burn on August 4th, 2012 @ 4:52pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:I love Wildman's unique look for Transformers but his modern work is definitely different than how it was 20 or 25 years ago.


It's understandable really. Printing technology it's self has progressed so much in those years.

What's funny though is back then, I didn't really like that unique look of Wildman's. Yet now, I love the uniqueness of it. Probably because "those were the good old days" or the fact I hate the modern sharp sleek angular look of today's TF's.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407473)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on August 5th, 2012 @ 7:27am CDT
Am I the only one having difficulty believing that Megatron (who was in pretty bad shape the last time we saw him in #98, even before crash-landing on Earth) managed to take over the planet and lobotomize everyone? Galvatron, I'd have believed. (And speaking of Galvatron, where is he?) I badly need a flashback, stat.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407494)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 5th, 2012 @ 9:40am CDT
Burn wrote:Probably because "those were the good old days" or the fact I hate the modern sharp sleek angular look of today's TF's.


:APPLAUSE:

My reasoning is exactly the same, along with the stories not being really up to par, or at least not having that "epic" feeling. Though I have yet to read any of the "-ation" series or Stormbringer.

TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Am I the only one having difficulty believing that Megatron (who was in pretty bad shape the last time we saw him in #98, even before crash-landing on Earth) managed to take over the planet and lobotomize everyone? Galvatron, I'd have believed. (And speaking of Galvatron, where is he?) I badly need a flashback, stat.


It's not that inconceivable. Last time we saw them, Megs and Galvy tag-teamed Shockwave, but it's unclear how that ended. Then in #79, "The Last Autobot" Fort Max put the pimp hand to Galvatron as he was insanely tearing up some random town, apparently surviving the Ark crash without much damage. By this we could safely assume that Megatron survived it is similar condition. Last we saw Galvatron he was catching a nap at the bottom of a lake. This points to Megs and Galvy most likely winning their altercation against Shockwave, though not necessarily resulting in Shockwave's death. With Bludgeon gone and Scorponok dead (Lord Zarak, anyway) this left no one in charge of all those forgotten-on-Earth Decepticons except Megatron. With all the Autobots gone, he pretty much had a smorgasbord in front of him. Megatron 1, humanity 0.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407543)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on August 5th, 2012 @ 12:34pm CDT
It's not that inconceivable. Last time we saw them, Megs and Galvy tag-teamed Shockwave, but it's unclear how that ended. Then in #79, "The Last Autobot" Fort Max put the pimp hand to Galvatron as he was insanely tearing up some random town, apparently surviving the Ark crash without much damage. By this we could safely assume that Megatron survived it is similar condition. Last we saw Galvatron he was catching a nap at the bottom of a lake. This points to Megs and Galvy most likely winning their altercation against Shockwave, though not necessarily resulting in Shockwave's death. With Bludgeon gone and Scorponok dead (Lord Zarak, anyway) this left no one in charge of all those forgotten-on-Earth Decepticons except Megatron. With all the Autobots gone, he pretty much had a smorgasbord in front of him. Megatron 1, humanity 0.


You're right, I had somehow totally forgotten the Fort Max/Galvatron fight from #79. Still leaves open the question of where Fort Max is in all this, though I guess we'll see him sooner rather than later. I suppose in a lot of ways this Megatron story isn't terribly different than what happened in G2 (Megatron survives the Ark crash, goes crazy on Earth to get Optimus Prime's attention) only this time we don't bother with the new body business (or the GI Joe stuff).

As a side note, I'm curious to see how they're going to get away with this "Circuit Smasher" business. It's obviously an attempt to reference Circuit Breaker without actually using her, because she's owned by Marvel. But if his origin doesn't reference her, that would seem pretty dumb, no?
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407545)
Posted by djhiem on August 5th, 2012 @ 12:41pm CDT
Not necessarily. I am assuming that maybe after Neo Knights were dropped on Earth after #80, Spike met her. Maybe they had a relationship...she dies in the Megatron uprising or something to that affect. Since she constructed her own suit, she could totally do that for Spike too. She was a computer genius. So if she and Spike hit it off and she died, it would make sense that Spike would be pissed! They could easily show a gravestone with Josie Beller written on it to get around this. Just my 2 cents.
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407564)
Posted by Chaoslock on August 5th, 2012 @ 1:44pm CDT
"'Better than 1 - 80?'" - in my eyes, this issue was good, but not that good. Back in the 80s, the autobots and decepticons fell like flies in the big battles (it was a good side-effect of "To Sell Toys" policy that made the stories more real and kept vulnerability of characters at an understandable level), and the Wreckers toooooo easily survived that missile.

I love Megatrons characterisation, however. If I'm right, he "inherited" some doctor skills from his fusion with Ratchet, and him waiting for the first civilised being to tell his tales to isn't out of character, either.

However, the art... I don't feel that it is on the level of the late Marrvel issues. Some proportions are too out of ordinary, and too "UK".
Re: TF Regeneration #82 'Loose Ends' Part 2- Reviewed (1407718)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 6th, 2012 @ 8:44am CDT
djhiem wrote:she and Spike hit it off and she died


Maybe she died of shock (wow, that's a horrible pun) after finding out he's actually a part of a Transformer.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014