Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint?

Transformers News: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint?

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 11:07PM CST

Categories: 3rd Party News, Rumors, Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 101,019

When the first computer renders and prototype images of TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team combiner started popping up fans speculated we might be looking at a set of Neo-Protectobots. We soon learned that wasn't the case, but some still saw the potential for a Defensor repaint somewhere down the line. Last month we got our first hint that TFC Toys might also have the repaint on their minds when a new image of the team's leader showed up on ACToys in Hot Spot deco.

Now we have little more information on the potential repaint from ACToy's Hsaio Red, who's been the source of almost all of the images and information regarding the Dino-Combiner team and Star Cats team. According to his post on ACToys the set will receive a Protectobot repaint limited to 1000 sets. Concept sketches have also been posted of a Defensor head and chest, the other concept drawing in the image is for the Dino-Combiner's head.

We've mirrored the previously seen Hot Spot redeco image, concept Defensor head sketch, and a few images of the molds that would be used below form ACToys. Could this work as the Protectobots with the right colors and maybe some new head molds?

Credit(s): Hsaio Red of ACToys

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313134)
Posted by Mkall on November 16th, 2011 @ 12:07am CST
I think these guys need some serious retooling or a damn good paintjob before I get them as Defensor.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313143)
Posted by dinogeist on November 16th, 2011 @ 1:03am CST
2012 is gonna be a big year for me & very exspensive. because I plan to buy a few 3rd party TF toys that are obviously G-1 toys/characters in disguise.

the star cats rescue vechicle combiners isn't on my 2012 buy list because it wasn't designed after a TF toy/character. it was designed after another toy lines robot toy/character.

These 3rd party TF toys are not cheap. combiners are really exspensive. when I buy 3rd party TF toys,I weigh all the scales with the negatives & positives then make a decision to buy or not buy.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313212)
Posted by Sodan-1 on November 16th, 2011 @ 7:17am CST
I'll plead ignorance as I have no clue as to what Star Cats is or how accurate this set is to the source material. My point though is I'm not sure whether to compare the one figure to Streetwise or First Aid, but given it's robot mode I'd say Freedom Gundam is the most likely candidate.

The Protectobots are the only Autobot combiners I've ever owned, and a limited run (and therefore probably highly expensive) repaint of a set not originally intended to be them just isn't something I can get behind. A good looking set all the same.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313232)
Posted by Requiem Prime on November 16th, 2011 @ 8:37am CST
Looks good to me. I'm cool with just a redeco, since this was another project to begin with. Seeing as our only alternative to a Classics-grade Defensor seems to be nothing, I don't mind inaccuracies. If the Star Cats version comes off better with a united color scheme, I'll probably look it's way too.

Also, the sketches of heads I like the lower left corner for the dino-combiner. It aludes to War Within Grimlock, which looked powerful without looking monstrous. The one we saw before was too skull-like.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313235)
Posted by rpetras on November 16th, 2011 @ 8:53am CST
Not too bad.

It would not be terribly hard to modify the tanker truck into a fire engine either.

It does not appear that he tanker or the goofy shoulder cannons have anything to do with the transform, so those could go. Pop them off, pop on a ladder and viola!

The police car, ambulance and copter would work as-is, just the mototcycle is too futuristic, but he'd be OK. If he could swap spots to be a leg that would be better.

I could be pretty happy with this.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313274)
Posted by El Duque on November 16th, 2011 @ 10:02am CST
rpetras wrote:Not too bad.

I could be pretty happy with this.

The tanker actually has a ladder across the top, it's just not very visible in the images I posted. I assume it's supposed to some sort of futuristic firetruck.

Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313276)
Posted by Rated X on November 16th, 2011 @ 10:03am CST
All I see is a big maybe. It's way too off to really be the protectobots in any of it's modes.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313333)
Posted by waaaaghlord on November 16th, 2011 @ 12:16pm CST
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313360)
Posted by Scaleface on November 16th, 2011 @ 1:46pm CST
waaaaghlord wrote:Depending on how these guys size up against the 6" Titaniums I can see this working as a War Within set of Protectobots.

The individual limbs are about as big as a 6 inch titanium, the tordobot is LARGER!
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1313494)
Posted by Maldroth on November 16th, 2011 @ 8:21pm CST
As a repaint these guys will fit in well as perhaps cybertronian versions of the protectobots. I can deal with that. I'm interested in seeing the final paint shots.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1358659)
Posted by robotmel on March 15th, 2012 @ 11:25am CDT
>:oP
With the latest news from TFC Toys and their Technobot sketches, does anyone know what evolved from the Star Cats/Protectorbots repaints which where rumoured some 6 odd months ago? :???:

I'm happy to give those guys space in my display cabinets if they make it to production..! ;)
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1395515)
Posted by Mkall on June 29th, 2012 @ 10:52am CDT
I don't always necrobump, but when I do, I always post new content >:oP

Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1395540)
Posted by zodconvoy on June 29th, 2012 @ 12:22pm CDT
Not the right scale for my collection. That and the only Protectobot I care about is First Aid and this will look nothing like him.

Easy pass. >:oP
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1395556)
Posted by Blurrz on June 29th, 2012 @ 1:09pm CDT
Oh great. I only had one kidney to sell.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1395610)
Posted by xyl360 on June 29th, 2012 @ 3:05pm CDT
Probably gonna have to pass on this one. The style of the vehicles just doesn't work for me. It's not truly a Transformers homage anyway.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1395685)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on June 29th, 2012 @ 7:28pm CDT
mm, might be one of the only shots at the Protectobots, and not too attached to them I can't squint. Possibility exists...
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1420763)
Posted by Scaleface on September 16th, 2012 @ 8:11am CDT
Artwork posted
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1563918)
Posted by robotmel on April 9th, 2014 @ 10:05am CDT
:D
Seibertron user and all round nice guy Paul Grant/Sir Toys has confirmed this project is still happening and he will be taking pre-orders shortly for not only not-Protectobots/Star Cats but also the Dino-combiner project too!

Reporting via the TFW2005 boards, Paul says he should have these in the coming months and pre-orders will be up on his SirToys.com website soon!

Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1563926)
Posted by Tsutsukakushi on April 9th, 2014 @ 10:28am CDT
No thanks,Their is literally nothing I like about these toys.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1563937)
Posted by Mkall on April 9th, 2014 @ 11:07am CDT
Tsutsukakushi wrote:No thanks,Their is literally nothing I like about these toys.

Agreed.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1563985)
Posted by craggy on April 9th, 2014 @ 2:21pm CDT
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1564142)
Posted by robotmel on April 10th, 2014 @ 5:48am CDT
craggy wrote:at a low enough price point I might consider it, as a Classics Knock Off Defensor. (you know those sets at the dollar stores, all over ebay as Chinese Reissues?) but it'd have to be a really low price. It looks like a fun enough toy, but without proper TF character nostalgia and no overwhelming ideas in my mind about how to repurpose them, it'd have to be a great price.
:APPLAUSE:
I could go for that too, just throw a little blue paint or stickers around and squint a bit!
I wonder if TFC are still producing this or if they have sold on the moulds?
TFCs combiners are too pricey for my wallet, so if this is still their project it will be interesting to see the price point, as they are robots which transform but are not anything to do with Transformers, unlike their other combiners? :-?

By the way, it has been suggested that these may come in two different scales also, which could explain the difference in the two photos Paul/Sir Toys took! ;)
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1564682)
Posted by robotmel on April 12th, 2014 @ 6:47am CDT
:D
Listings are up on Sirtoys.com (via their Wish List option) for both the Voyager and Deluxe versions with prices to follow soon.

Voyager

Deluxe
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1564738)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on April 12th, 2014 @ 12:52pm CDT
There's no real use for this with their Protectobots combiner in the works.
Re: TFC Toys Star Cats Rescue Team to Receive Protectobot Repaint? (1564907)
Posted by robotmel on April 13th, 2014 @ 7:53am CDT
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:There's no real use for this with their Protectobots combiner in the works.
:-?
Where some folk are looking towards a more tradional look to their combiner homages, I am thinking that figures like these can play the part as individual characters, not combiners, which have yet to see a Classics Generations make over. ;)

With their futuristic looks* and modern articulation, these guys could find a place amongst collectors various Transformers collections, repurposed as an existing character which has yet to be updated? :-$

Im onboard for a set as long as the price is right! :D

*Cybertronian vehicle?