Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art

Transformers News: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art

Monday, May 7th, 2012 8:59PM CDT

Categories: Collector's Club News, Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 40,758

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The official Transformers Collectors' Club has posted Robby Musso's official artwork for next year's membership incentive figure Depthcharge, a redeco of HFTD Terradive. The figure and artwork were shown at the BotCon 2012 TFCC panel, but here's a better look at the artwork.

All new and current members who have an active membership as of March 16th, 2013 will receive DEPTHCHARGE, the Transformers Collectors' Club exclusive membership incentive deluxe figure. DEPTHCHARGE is scheduled to ship Spring 2013. You won't want to miss out on this amazing figure!


Also on tap for later THIS year, the all-new Transformers Figure Subscription Service (TFSS). The service will consist of SIX exclusive figures you can only purchase through the Transformers Collectors' Club.


Image
Credit(s): TFCC
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377869)
Posted by vaporretarder on May 7th, 2012 @ 9:38pm CDT
easy pass,...hands down,...
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377873)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on May 7th, 2012 @ 9:45pm CDT
Sorta Dreamwavey but with less puffiness and panel lines, anyone agree? Image
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377876)
Posted by Alpha Weltall on May 7th, 2012 @ 9:58pm CDT
This looks pretty decent and I wouldn't mind getting it at all.

However, I think that the Emperor Palpatine/Imperial Shuttle would make a much better Depthcharge. The white version would be very easy to work with and you could probably use the head from a BW Depthcharge. Not to mention it would be closer to the size of the Beast Wars toy too.


Image
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377877)
Posted by LiKwid on May 7th, 2012 @ 10:11pm CDT
Some info on the subscription service would be great..kthanxbye :P

Cant wait for this fig( well actually I guess I have too ) The rest of the subscription figures look amazing too!
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377878)
Posted by LiKwid on May 7th, 2012 @ 10:15pm CDT
bvzxa wrote:
LiKwid wrote:
Wheeljack35 wrote:Well this is disappointing.It makes me NOT want to re-up on my membership



So you make that call based on a free figure? Puzzling.... #-o

I'll re up for this and the other tasty figures to come..


It's not "free", if you did not pay for said subscription to 6 15-page magazines, there would be no figure. Oldest sales trick in the book. at least the Hot Wheels Red Line Club admits to the "free" car never really being free, so I don't see the difference.

If they didn't offer an "incentive" (which it is) then people probably would laugh at the $65 or or $45 you spend for basically a shiny newsletter.

Also they don't use a totally new mold, it's a repaint or repaint/head swap. So really what it costs them to reproduce from the mold with a few minor changes actually doesn't hurt them at all.

I didn't join in 2011 because I did not like Rodimus Sideburn. So I missed a whole year and did not get the G2 Ramjet. So if he does not like what he sees he's smart not to re-up for early-inside information that would only be revealed within a few more days anyway.

Can't blame dude at all for the dislike.



I agree with everything you said. I was merely commenting on the decision to not want re rejoin so he can "avoid" gettting a figure you dont like, just seemed like flawed logic but hey :P

I've seen the other subscription service figures and believe me..it's worth re uppin..
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377894)
Posted by prmlove1 on May 7th, 2012 @ 11:29pm CDT
After two years of truly exceptional free figures, I must admit I am very underwhelmed by this figure. No matter, I will get it regardless...
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377910)
Posted by xyl360 on May 8th, 2012 @ 1:10am CDT
I think we all saw this repaint coming, though I must admit I expected it from Hasbro directly, not the club, especially given the fact that his face already resembles Depth Charge and the dude even comes with a trident. I certainly expected this repaint long before I ever expected Space Case (which is what we got instead).

I'm down for some more Beast Wars love, so bring him on. He'll be my pre-Beast Wars Depth Charge, now all I need is a Starhopper (and a Transwarp Cruiser for X-9 Ravage ;)).
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377921)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on May 8th, 2012 @ 3:50am CDT
Hold up. I think I found a small loophole. Remember how the subcribtion deadline for Runamuck was extended to around 20th March due to their systems crashing? So, say someone signed up on 18th march this year, and got a Runamuck. So it expires 18th March 2012 and he gets another Depthcharge? :lol:

Dayum, I should have thought of that before i eagerly signed up in January.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377939)
Posted by Vicalliose on May 8th, 2012 @ 7:23am CDT
gavinfuzzy wrote:Hold up. I think I found a small loophole. Remember how the subcribtion deadline for Runamuck was extended to around 20th March due to their systems crashing? So, say someone signed up on 18th march this year, and got a Runamuck. So it expires 18th March 2012 and he gets another Depthcharge? :lol:

Dayum, I should have thought of that before i eagerly signed up in January.

They added a month onto my subscription once due to an inconvenience. It doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I'm still not resigning myself to conformity. Y'all are just easily bought.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377950)
Posted by Heavy B on May 8th, 2012 @ 8:23am CDT
Vicalliose wrote:
gavinfuzzy wrote:Hold up. I think I found a small loophole. Remember how the subcribtion deadline for Runamuck was extended to around 20th March due to their systems crashing? So, say someone signed up on 18th march this year, and got a Runamuck. So it expires 18th March 2012 and he gets another Depthcharge? :lol:

Dayum, I should have thought of that before i eagerly signed up in January.

They added a month onto my subscription once due to an inconvenience. It doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I'm still not resigning myself to conformity. Y'all are just easily bought.

Thats right buddy. You're a nonconformist, just like EVERYONE else.

I like the figgure (always had a soft spot for Beast Wars). I'm just dissipointed that, with ALL the possible molds, we don't get a pre-beast wars "Protoform X". We insted get "Circuit" and "Kick Off".
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1377955)
Posted by Vicalliose on May 8th, 2012 @ 8:40am CDT
Dr. Heavy B wrote:Thats right buddy. You're a nonconformist, just like EVERYONE else.
I'm hardly a "nonconformist" in general, I won't lie. I'm just not tolerant of the club anymore. I was hoping they would die after this year's debacle, but it seems plenty of people are ready to jump back on the bandwagon after they showed off their exclusives. But the transformers fandom in general has a "take what we get" attitude, which is something I really despise. Hell, that attitude it's what's wrong with the world in general from my point of view.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378005)
Posted by zodconvoy on May 8th, 2012 @ 11:12am CDT
I'm in. I'm not a fan of either the mold or Depthcharge but because I enjoy being a member of the Club. I like the little magazine and it's brief flashes of comic story and insight into the history of the brand.

Depthcharge will be stuck with the 10th Anniversary Primel & Megatron, U2.0 Dinobot & Cheetor, and the repaint of Backstop in Rhinox's colors. Seriously, how are there not more Beast Wars Classics figures?

Alpha Weltall wrote:This looks pretty decent and I wouldn't mind getting it at all.

However, I think that the Emperor Palpatine/Imperial Shuttle would make a much better Depthcharge. The white version would be very easy to work with and you could probably use the head from a BW Depthcharge. Not to mention it would be closer to the size of the Beast Wars toy too.


Image


But he's clearly a Jhiaxus waiting to happen. Even the head has the same overly detailed organic look that Jhiaxus had in the G2 comics!
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378020)
Posted by Mkall on May 8th, 2012 @ 12:24pm CDT
Vicalliose wrote:
Dr. Heavy B wrote:Thats right buddy. You're a nonconformist, just like EVERYONE else.
I'm hardly a "nonconformist" in general, I won't lie. I'm just not tolerant of the club anymore. I was hoping they would die after this year's debacle, but it seems plenty of people are ready to jump back on the bandwagon after they showed off their exclusives.

It wasn't the exclusives that did it for me. Hell, I was ready to abandon ship this year too after what happened. What changed my mind however was that the first thing Brian Savage did at the Club panel was apologize for it all and give us signs that things are improving. There are questions whether or not they can handle the figure subscription; maybe they can and maybe they can't but I'm going to let them try.

I don't want The Club to die off. It's not because of any real loyalty to them, but if The Club were to go away, then someone else will try to take their plae and we'd have to suffer through years of watching the replacement try to get things going.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378031)
Posted by Kibble on May 8th, 2012 @ 1:12pm CDT
I agree with what was said in the podcast, Scourge shoulda been the freebie and this just in the subscription. I'm not a fan of that Laser Prime mold (although I have found my problem with it is much more as Prime than the mold itself...though it's a bit wonky, the repaints have actually come out pretty nice looking) but I have enough interest in Scourge that I would have for sure kept my membership. As it is, I'm leaning toward not renewing. Don't care at all about this fig, I'm starting to lean toward just skipping the one fig I wanted in Breakdown and instead waiting for him as part of a 3rd Party combining Menasor, and Scourge I could probably even live without or have a local order an extra.

Funny how FunPub was talking about "if you think this year's Club figs are something, just wait till you see next year's!" I'm starting to think anytime you hear that, be prepared to be utterly underwhelmed...even without the hype machine trying to pump you up and tell you to hold onto your seat. Despite 7 new figs on tap, I think this next year's offering will be the weakest in years.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378048)
Posted by Counterpunch on May 8th, 2012 @ 2:18pm CDT
Question: Why does anyone who does not own the 2006 BotCon Dawn of Future's Past box-set give a damn about getting this toy?

I mean, good on me. I have a group of figures who will welcome a new addition (after five years since Airrazor). But...why should anyone without that set care about Depthcharge?
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378059)
Posted by Rhinox23 on May 8th, 2012 @ 2:46pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:Question: But...why should anyone without that set care about Depthcharge?


I'm not a TFCC member but I'm considering becoming one for this figure. To answer your question, as a big BW fan I just want this guy to go with my Transmetal Depthcharge. I think it would be cool to have his Maximal but pre-beast form too. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth spending the $45 though. I'm not entirely convinced. Does anybody have any major pros or cons of becoming a TFCC member. $45 is a lot for one figure...
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378060)
Posted by xyl360 on May 8th, 2012 @ 2:51pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:Question: Why does anyone who does not own the 2006 BotCon Dawn of Future's Past box-set give a damn about getting this toy?

I mean, good on me. I have a group of figures who will welcome a new addition (after five years since Airrazor). But...why should anyone without that set care about Depthcharge?

Because in my opinion, the Dawn of Future's Past set SUCKS and is way overpriced and because I have these (which I've made massive improvements on over the past several months since my painting and modding skills have improved).
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378074)
Posted by Heavy B on May 8th, 2012 @ 3:37pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:Question: Why does anyone who does not own the 2006 BotCon Dawn of Future's Past box-set give a damn about getting this toy?

Answer: Because Depthcharge was a a cool character. Its like why are people excited about a classics breakdown when, A) the others aren't likely to see release (except for dragstrip who actually came out) And B) they can't combine. Combining is a pretty important part to the stunticons. They just want the bloody toy. What do you care?
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378082)
Posted by Mkall on May 8th, 2012 @ 4:04pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:Question: Why does anyone who does not own the 2006 BotCon Dawn of Future's Past box-set give a damn about getting this toy?

I mean, good on me. I have a group of figures who will welcome a new addition (after five years since Airrazor). But...why should anyone without that set care about Depthcharge?

I'm slapping an Autobot sticker on him and putting him in with my Generations figs.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378090)
Posted by Counterpunch on May 8th, 2012 @ 4:38pm CDT
Dr. Heavy B wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:Question: Why does anyone who does not own the 2006 BotCon Dawn of Future's Past box-set give a damn about getting this toy?

Answer: Because Depthcharge was a a cool character. Its like why are people excited about a classics breakdown when, A) the others aren't likely to see release (except for dragstrip who actually came out) And B) they can't combine. Combining is a pretty important part to the stunticons. They just want the bloody toy. What do you care?


First off, your comparison does not work.

This is a BW character who has been given a non-beast alt. It would be like getting a Breakdown who turns into, oh let's say a woodpecker. Now you have exactly one G1 figure with a new beast alt mode. Give him a whole shelf to himself. The combination aspect has nothing to do with it.

Just "wanting the bloody toy" is a perfectly reasonable excuse. I just asked a question that was calling the Club's decision into question, not other people's personal tastes. So, do me a favor and get agro somewhere else.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378094)
Posted by xyl360 on May 8th, 2012 @ 4:51pm CDT
I guess if Hasbro/Takara can make Dark Steel (i.e. BW Quickstrike) then the club can make Depth Charge.

A lot of people dig on Depth Charge, so I can see why they picked him, especially given that this mold (and even its weapon in a way, given that a trident has more to do with the sea than the air) very much resembles Depth Charge.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378096)
Posted by LiKwid on May 8th, 2012 @ 5:01pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:
Dr. Heavy B wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:Question: Why does anyone who does not own the 2006 BotCon Dawn of Future's Past box-set give a damn about getting this toy?

Answer: Because Depthcharge was a a cool character. Its like why are people excited about a classics breakdown when, A) the others aren't likely to see release (except for dragstrip who actually came out) And B) they can't combine. Combining is a pretty important part to the stunticons. They just want the bloody toy. What do you care?


First off, your comparison does not work.

This is a BW character who has been given a non-beast alt. It would be like getting a Breakdown who turns into, oh let's say a woodpecker. Now you have exactly one G1 figure with a new beast alt mode. Give him a whole shelf to himself. The combination aspect has nothing to do with it.

Just "wanting the bloody toy" is a perfectly reasonable excuse. I just asked a question that was calling the Club's decision into question, not other people's personal tastes. So, do me a favor and get agro somewhere else.



You totally said woodpecker... :BOWDOWN:
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378127)
Posted by xyl360 on May 8th, 2012 @ 7:08pm CDT
Non-beast alt mode or not, I think he fits perfectly on a Beast Wars shelf.

The series itself set a precedence for the Maximals and Predacons not having beast alt modes originally.

To me, this form simply represents his form before he got his beast mode after crash landing on prehistoric Earth.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378331)
Posted by Kibble on May 9th, 2012 @ 11:37am CDT
xyl360 wrote:I guess if Hasbro/Takara can make Dark Steel (i.e. BW Quickstrike) then the club can make Depth Charge.

A lot of people dig on Depth Charge, so I can see why they picked him, especially given that this mold (and even its weapon in a way, given that a trident has more to do with the sea than the air) very much resembles Depth Charge.


I don't think that they picked him is so much the issue, but more that he's THE incentive figure. Not much of an incentive to many, or dare I say most?
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378381)
Posted by xyl360 on May 9th, 2012 @ 1:38pm CDT
Kibble wrote:
xyl360 wrote:I guess if Hasbro/Takara can make Dark Steel (i.e. BW Quickstrike) then the club can make Depth Charge.

A lot of people dig on Depth Charge, so I can see why they picked him, especially given that this mold (and even its weapon in a way, given that a trident has more to do with the sea than the air) very much resembles Depth Charge.


I don't think that they picked him is so much the issue, but more that he's THE incentive figure. Not much of an incentive to many, or dare I say most?

Maybe, but there was a lot of fanbuzz about the possibility of a Depth Charge repaint as soon as we got a look at Terradive, and you might be surprised at just how many die-hard Beast Wars fans there are out there.

I personally think it's refreshing to see a different line being focused on a bit, rather than rehashing the same G1 characters over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378396)
Posted by Tigertrack on May 9th, 2012 @ 2:23pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:I personally think it's refreshing to see a different line being focused on a bit, rather than rehashing the same G1 characters over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.


I guess I don't see it as them rehashing the same characters over and over again from G1 or anywhere else.

Sideburn and SkyByte were both from 2000's Robots in Disguise.

Air Razor was BW homage.

In fact, I don't think the club, minus their foray into Shattered Glass, has redone any characters that have been popularly done over and over from G1.

There giveaways previously were all new characters using Energon combiner limbs.

Runamuck and Runabout have only seen really two homages between them by HASBRO not the club, and those were pretty sucky toys (repaint of Armada Sideswipe, and a repaint of Legends Jazz).

Drift was Shattered Glass.

I'm just not seeing the club focus on G1 that you are, and certainly not in characters that have been rehashed over and over again. If it is G1, it's usually odd ball characters, or characters that they made up like the Star Wars Expanded Universe/Offscreen character pieces.

Overlord and Metalhawk? One release ever, and not even in the US market for G1? Not rehashed rehashes.

The rehashing is the in the club's Shattered Glass universe, which allows them to do easy repaints of existing characters often times without doing anything, but changing the colors.

I'm impressed that the club is going to try a subscription service. I hope it's affordable, and it would be nice to be able to be a part of it without having to ante up for the general membership? Or be able to choose to trade the general membership figure for one of the club subscription figures. I know, too difficult.

I just don't know that this subscription figure is going to be very popular, and that if they really wanted to win folks back into believing in them with the best free exclusive ever... well maybe it should have been a different choice. I think a SCOURGE repaint would have created a lot more interest from the fandom, and probably result in more memberships.

Again, I'm not sure how the subscription service works when compared with membership.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378404)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 9th, 2012 @ 2:41pm CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:Sideburn and SkyByte were both from 2000's Robots in Disguise.
Yes, but neither are the same character as the RiD versions. Both of the Club/BotCon versions are G1 guys homaging the RiD characters.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378409)
Posted by Tigertrack on May 9th, 2012 @ 2:47pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:Sideburn and SkyByte were both from 2000's Robots in Disguise.
Yes, but neither are the same character as the RiD versions. Both of the Club/BotCon versions are G1 guys homaging the RiD characters.


How can a G1 guy homage a guy who came after them? Oh my god, timeline continuities are killing me.

And club fic aside, they still homage RID characters.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378435)
Posted by xyl360 on May 9th, 2012 @ 4:07pm CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:
xyl360 wrote:I personally think it's refreshing to see a different line being focused on a bit, rather than rehashing the same G1 characters over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.


I guess I don't see it as them rehashing the same characters over and over again from G1 or anywhere else.

Sideburn and SkyByte were both from 2000's Robots in Disguise.

Air Razor was BW homage.

In fact, I don't think the club, minus their foray into Shattered Glass, has redone any characters that have been popularly done over and over from G1.

There giveaways previously were all new characters using Energon combiner limbs.

Runamuck and Runabout have only seen really two homages between them by HASBRO not the club, and those were pretty sucky toys (repaint of Armada Sideswipe, and a repaint of Legends Jazz).

Drift was Shattered Glass.

I'm just not seeing the club focus on G1 that you are, and certainly not in characters that have been rehashed over and over again. If it is G1, it's usually odd ball characters, or characters that they made up like the Star Wars Expanded Universe/Offscreen character pieces.

Overlord and Metalhawk? One release ever, and not even in the US market for G1? Not rehashed rehashes.

The rehashing is the in the club's Shattered Glass universe, which allows them to do easy repaints of existing characters often times without doing anything, but changing the colors.

I'm impressed that the club is going to try a subscription service. I hope it's affordable, and it would be nice to be able to be a part of it without having to ante up for the general membership? Or be able to choose to trade the general membership figure for one of the club subscription figures. I know, too difficult.

I just don't know that this subscription figure is going to be very popular, and that if they really wanted to win folks back into believing in them with the best free exclusive ever... well maybe it should have been a different choice. I think a SCOURGE repaint would have created a lot more interest from the fandom, and probably result in more memberships.

Again, I'm not sure how the subscription service works when compared with membership.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean the club exclusively. I meant Hasbro, Takara, the club and Botcon.

Right now we have TFP, which is based on the movies and animated, which are both primarily based on G1 characters. From Botcon we have Shattered glass, which is all G1 (though a mirror universe of G1, it's still just opposite versions of G1 characters).

I guess I'm just bored with the whole 'geewun' thing and seeing stuff like this (and even RiD Sideburn and Skybite, though I'm not an RiD fan) are a breath of fresh air to me.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378574)
Posted by Tigertrack on May 10th, 2012 @ 6:55am CDT
xyl360 wrote:I guess I'm just bored with the whole 'geewun' thing and seeing stuff like this (and even RiD Sideburn and Skybite, though I'm not an RiD fan) are a breath of fresh air to me.


Absolutely understand when every line has an OP, a Megs, a Starscream, a BBee, etc.

I wouldn't mind if they did more BW stuff, 'cause then I could ignore/not buy 75% of it.

You are right fresh air would be good. That was somewhat of what HBRO touted when they brought in Energon, paraphrase it's not OP versus Megatron... There's Scorponok instead, and no BBee, etc.

But then Megatron showed up, and Starscream, etc.

Bw even had G1 show up in it, so it seems to be an inescapable destiny. :D :D
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378588)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 10th, 2012 @ 8:05am CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:Sideburn and SkyByte were both from 2000's Robots in Disguise.
Yes, but neither are the same character as the RiD versions. Both of the Club/BotCon versions are G1 guys homaging the RiD characters.


How can a G1 guy homage a guy who came after them? Oh my god, timeline continuities are killing me.
LOL :lol: Well, they're just later-year G1 characters. ;)

Wings Universe is G1, but a variant of it (specifically, a variant of Cartoon G1).
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378592)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on May 10th, 2012 @ 8:49am CDT
Actually, he might not look that bad with my Movie autobots. The Terradive mold is too movie for my classics shelf, and I don't own a single beast wars figure (Except Uni2.0 Dinobot, who I got for $6) ;)
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378616)
Posted by orangeitis on May 10th, 2012 @ 11:08am CDT
Counterpunch wrote:But...why should anyone without that set care about Depthcharge?
Well I don't have the set, and I care about DC because he's awesome and free. :michaelbay:

tigertracks 24 wrote:How can a G1 guy homage a guy who came after them? Oh my god, timeline continuities are killing me.
By the magical system known as retconning. :grin:

It's simple. The universe that G1 took place in was never fully explored by G1 fiction. We never saw every single Transformer that existed in said universe. FunPub is taking this opportunity to fill those unexplored areas in with homages of characters which out-of-continuity made after G1 already finished. Nothing in G1 was harmed or altered(I assume), and it gives a nice little home to these homages.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378620)
Posted by Tigertrack on May 10th, 2012 @ 11:29am CDT
orangeitis wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:How can a G1 guy homage a guy who came after them? Oh my god, timeline continuities are killing me.
By the magical system known as retconning. :grin:

It's simple. The universe that G1 took place in was never fully explored by G1 fiction. We never saw every single Transformer that existed in said universe. FunPub is taking this opportunity to fill those unexplored areas in with homages of characters which out-of-continuity made after G1 already finished. Nothing in G1 was harmed or altered(I assume), and it gives a nice little home to these homages.


Yeah, but a character in an explored section of G1 cannot pay homage to a character who comes later in time/contiuity unless they time travel that is what I am referring to.

The continuity for me is all muddled...
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378633)
Posted by orangeitis on May 10th, 2012 @ 12:18pm CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:
orangeitis wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:How can a G1 guy homage a guy who came after them? Oh my god, timeline continuities are killing me.
By the magical system known as retconning. :grin:

It's simple. The universe that G1 took place in was never fully explored by G1 fiction. We never saw every single Transformer that existed in said universe. FunPub is taking this opportunity to fill those unexplored areas in with homages of characters which out-of-continuity made after G1 already finished. Nothing in G1 was harmed or altered(I assume), and it gives a nice little home to these homages.


Yeah, but a character in an explored section of G1 cannot pay homage to a character who comes later in time/contiuity unless they time travel that is what I am referring to.

The continuity for me is all muddled...
Last time I checked, RiD wasn't in G1 continuity though. Or were you talking about Depth Charge...?
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378671)
Posted by xyl360 on May 10th, 2012 @ 3:31pm CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:
xyl360 wrote:I guess I'm just bored with the whole 'geewun' thing and seeing stuff like this (and even RiD Sideburn and Skybite, though I'm not an RiD fan) are a breath of fresh air to me.

Bw even had G1 show up in it, so it seems to be an inescapable destiny. :D :D

Yep, Beast Wars did have G1 show up, but that's because Beast Wars was actually a continuation of the existing G1 cartoon continuity.

That alone allowed them to reference (and even on rare occasions feature) G1 characters, but the entire primary cast of characters were all non-G1, new characters (again, with the exception of a few cameos).

It would be nice to see Has/Tak do something, ANYTHING that gets away from the Diaclone/Microchange roots like Beast Wars and a few other series did. But now it remains, always Optimus vs Megatron, Autobots vs Decepticons, the same old story 'came to Earth from Cybertron' and 'fighting over Energon'.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they do it. It allows them to draw from a very rich history of characters and plots and also attempts to avoid alienating us die-hard fans that grew up on the franchise while trying to bring in today's generation of kids as well, but I just feel that a lot could be done that isn't a re-hash of the same old stuff. BW was an example of that, with the entire concept being approached from the point of view of a dramatic science fiction series, and even the movies (which drew most of their ideas from G1), tried to change things up similarly.

I guess I'm just wondering how many versions of the same characters us collectors will buy before we finally stop collecting because we've had enough, but I guess if it hasn't happened after all these year, it's not going to so I'm likely one of the few who is likely to soon end up dropping out of a beloved hobby for lack of interest in seeing the same old stuff over and over again.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378676)
Posted by orangeitis on May 10th, 2012 @ 4:05pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:attempts to avoid alienating us die-hard fans that grew up on the franchise
Yeah, I think that kinda stopped when they abandoned the original continuity. I personally think fans would be more than happy if they went on to tell the stories of new primes after Optimus/Rodimus and introduce totally new characters. They could still release new versions of old characters when plot permits(how they brought Optimus back in season 3, for instance)

Buuut it's a mess of continuities now. Oh well, at least they're still robots that turn into things. That has always been the best thing about the franchise.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378713)
Posted by xyl360 on May 10th, 2012 @ 7:15pm CDT
orangeitis wrote:Yeah, I think that kinda stopped when they abandoned the original continuity.
I think they did that simply to keep from alienating the new generation(s) so they don't need to go back and watch a 1980's TV show and movie in order to get caught up with what the heck is going on.

orangeitis wrote:I personally think fans would be more than happy if they went on to tell the stories of new primes after Optimus/Rodimus and introduce totally new characters. They could still release new versions of old characters when plot permits(how they brought Optimus back in season 3, for instance)
Agreed. Not to mention all that time (300+ years?) between the end of season 3 and Beast Wars, but sadly that continuity is dead now.

orangeitis wrote:Buuut it's a mess of continuities now. Oh well, at least they're still robots that turn into things. That has always been the best thing about the franchise.
Now it's a new 'unified' continuity, meaning nothing created can blatantly contradict or conflict with the details written in Hasbro's new Transformers Unified Continuity Bible. That includes Prime and the video games, though that bible itself is based on G1 at its core, at least with regards to core characters and basic elements like Autobots, Decepticons and Cybertron. More specific details are pretty much up for grabs/individual writers' interpretations. Of course, that's also what I hate about it. It's essentially a stripped down re-boot of G1. In my mind it is neither inferior nor superior to G1, but just a derivative of it instead of something more original. It just doesn't offer anything new or very interesting for a fan like me, but I'm probably just being to picky.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1378719)
Posted by orangeitis on May 10th, 2012 @ 7:42pm CDT
I'll keep this reply short, as to not be off-topic too much.
xyl360 wrote:I think they did that simply to keep from alienating the new generation(s) so they don't need to go back and watch a 1980's TV show and movie in order to get caught up with what the heck is going on.
Good point, but there would always be directions the story would go to keep from alienating it's new viewers. Between wars in that universe, for instance.

xyl360 wrote:Now it's a new 'unified' continuity, meaning nothing created can blatantly contradict or conflict with the details written in Hasbro's new Transformers Unified Continuity Bible. That includes Prime and the video games, though that bible itself is based on G1 at its core, at least with regards to core characters and basic elements like Autobots, Decepticons and Cybertron. More specific details are pretty much up for grabs/individual writers' interpretations. Of course, that's also what I hate about it. It's essentially a stripped down re-boot of G1. In my mind it is neither inferior nor superior to G1, but just a derivative of it instead of something more original. It just doesn't offer anything new or very interesting for a fan like me, but I'm probably just being to picky.
Well maybe this generation of children might have fond memories of Transformers on the level that we had with G1. It might be different memories though, but still.

Also, I am kinda glad Hasbro is taking the effort to keep continuity together and all(despite the inconsistencies, though they're different mediums/universes).

And keeping on-topic: I love this mold. I wouldn't mind 3, especially since the 3rd is free with a club membership. On the other hand, I usually don't object to having multiples of the same mold, usually if the characters are different. Plus, I'm short on Maximals.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1379885)
Posted by ssilipino on May 14th, 2012 @ 7:35pm CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:
xyl360 wrote:Bw even had G1 show up in it, so it seems to be an inescapable destiny. :D :D


But at least when G1 showed up in BW, it wasn't a homage, it WAS G1.

While I think it great they are pre-beasting more BW characters, especially Depth Charge, I really don't approve of the mold. Its small, doesn't off any sie comparison to the actual BW Depth Charge mold, minus the head and the trident.

I had originally planned to transform Galaxy Force Soundwave into DOFP Depth Charge, mainly because a majority of the DOFP's set used Galaxy Force molds, and Soundwave has an appropriate head for Depth Charge. Also his chest piece is similar to the (generic) chest piece on the pre-BW body we can sort of see in "Deep Metal".

I had also planned on repainting Galaxy Force Menasor into DOFP's Protoform-X. I felt he offers enough menacing features for him. Any comments?
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1379889)
Posted by orangeitis on May 14th, 2012 @ 7:39pm CDT
ssilipino wrote:=While I think it great they are pre-beasting more BW characters, especially Depth Charge, I really don't approve of the mold. Its small, doesn't off any sie comparison to the actual BW Depth Charge mold, minus the head and the trident.=
I had the same thoughts about Tigatron. And the opposite of Airazor. Though I had bigger issues with Airazor aside from size...
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1379893)
Posted by xyl360 on May 14th, 2012 @ 7:45pm CDT
ssilipino wrote:But at least when G1 showed up in BW, it wasn't a homage, it WAS G1.
EXACTLY :D!

ssilipino wrote:While I think it great they are pre-beasting more BW characters, especially Depth Charge, I really don't approve of the mold. Its small, doesn't off any sie comparison to the actual BW Depth Charge mold, minus the head and the trident.

I had originally planned to transform Galaxy Force Soundwave into DOFP Depth Charge, mainly because a majority of the DOFP's set used Galaxy Force molds, and Soundwave has an appropriate head for Depth Charge. Also his chest piece is similar to the (generic) chest piece on the pre-BW body we can sort of see in "Deep Metal".
I could totally see GF SW as a pre-BW DC :).

ssilipino wrote:I had also planned on repainting Galaxy Force Menasor into DOFP's Protoform-X. I felt he offers enough menacing features for him. Any comments?
For Protoform-X, I actually just got a Hasbro Rampage (I use a Takara one to actually represent Rampage from the show) and removed all of his kibble. Based on the sillouette you see during the show of him on Cybertron, that's pretty much what he looks like. Just Rampage without the crab kibble. A LOT of the 'Cybertronian' Maximals and Predicons shown during BW and BM seemed to not really have alt modes at all. For those, I actually used a bunch of Action Masters. I just repainted them to make them match the color schemes/patterns I observed during the few occasions they were shown throughout the series (Action Master Bumblebee makes a great Cicadacon with some red and silver paint ;)).
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1379978)
Posted by Tigertrack on May 15th, 2012 @ 6:58am CDT
xyl360 wrote:
ssilipino wrote:But at least when G1 showed up in BW, it wasn't a homage, it WAS G1.
EXACTLY :D!

ssilipino wrote:While I think it great they are pre-beasting more BW characters, especially Depth Charge, I really don't approve of the mold. Its small, doesn't off any sie comparison to the actual BW Depth Charge mold, minus the head and the trident.

I had originally planned to transform Galaxy Force Soundwave into DOFP Depth Charge, mainly because a majority of the DOFP's set used Galaxy Force molds, and Soundwave has an appropriate head for Depth Charge. Also his chest piece is similar to the (generic) chest piece on the pre-BW body we can sort of see in "Deep Metal".
I could totally see GF SW as a pre-BW DC :).

ssilipino wrote:I had also planned on repainting Galaxy Force Menasor into DOFP's Protoform-X. I felt he offers enough menacing features for him. Any comments?
For Protoform-X, I actually just got a Hasbro Rampage (I use a Takara one to actually represent Rampage from the show) and removed all of his kibble. Based on the sillouette you see during the show of him on Cybertron, that's pretty much what he looks like. Just Rampage without the crab kibble. A LOT of the 'Cybertronian' Maximals and Predicons shown during BW and BM seemed to not really have alt modes at all. For those, I actually used a bunch of Action Masters. I just repainted them to make them match the color schemes/patterns I observed during the few occasions they were shown throughout the series (Action Master Bumblebee makes a great Cicadacon with some red and silver paint ;)).



That's some very creative creating there. Sounds like some good projects. :APPLAUSE:
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1380560)
Posted by Bounti76 on May 17th, 2012 @ 2:40am CDT
I lost interest in the brand in the late 80s/early 90s, and only got re-interested again when the live-action movies came out. So I completely missed Beast Wars, RID, Unicron Trilogy, etc. For that, I'm mostly glad, since the Unicron Trilogy seems completely overloaded with characters and concepts. Too much to focus on. My major point in saying all that is that Beast Wars holds no interest for me, and thus nor does this Depthcharge. I AM however interested in some of the other characters they're going to be releasing for the Subscription service.

I'm TOTALLY over the moon that they're going to be releasing Slipstream as a remolded and repainted Prime FE Starscream. I love me some fembots, and I've always thought he had a really feminine body shape, so making Screamer's mold into a fembot just saves me the trouble :grin: I'm not so thrilled about the color choices they made for her (I'd always seen or imagined her with a G2 Ramjet deco) in Thundercracker blue, Hot Spot blue, silver and black, but I'll take what I can get with fembots. Now all I need is a Knockout repainted into Freezon (which will never happen since she's too obscure) and Bumblebee repainted into Nightracer (also not happening for a number of reasons).
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1380561)
Posted by Bounti76 on May 17th, 2012 @ 2:44am CDT
oops, hit send too soon...

I may just try those projects myself. I figure since Nightracer was something of a Bumblebee redeco, his altmode would work for hers, and Freezon is red anyway, so Knockout's mold should serve as a good and easy donor with minimal repainting. Does anyone else redeco existing molds into fembots?
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1380584)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 17th, 2012 @ 7:21am CDT
Bounti76 wrote:I lost interest in the brand in the late 80s/early 90s, and only got re-interested again when the live-action movies came out. So I completely missed Beast Wars, RID, Unicron Trilogy, etc. For that, I'm mostly glad, since the Unicron Trilogy seems completely overloaded with characters and concepts. Too much to focus on. My major point in saying all that is that Beast Wars holds no interest for me, and thus nor does this Depthcharge. I AM however interested in some of the other characters they're going to be releasing for the Subscription service.
Fiction-wise, G1 seemed to have more characters than all of the Beast Era, RiD, and Unicron Trilogy shows combined.

Bounti76 wrote:I'm TOTALLY over the moon that they're going to be releasing Slipstream as a remolded and repainted Prime FE Starscream. I love me some fembots, and I've always thought he had a really feminine body shape, so making Screamer's mold into a fembot just saves me the trouble :grin: I'm not so thrilled about the color choices they made for her (I'd always seen or imagined her with a G2 Ramjet deco) in Thundercracker blue, Hot Spot blue, silver and black, but I'll take what I can get with fembots.
She sure looks correctly colored (in purple, teal, some black, some slivery gray) to me.

Image
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1380592)
Posted by RAcast on May 17th, 2012 @ 7:59am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Bounti76 wrote:I lost interest in the brand in the late 80s/early 90s, and only got re-interested again when the live-action movies came out. So I completely missed Beast Wars, RID, Unicron Trilogy, etc. For that, I'm mostly glad, since the Unicron Trilogy seems completely overloaded with characters and concepts. Too much to focus on. My major point in saying all that is that Beast Wars holds no interest for me, and thus nor does this Depthcharge. I AM however interested in some of the other characters they're going to be releasing for the Subscription service.
Fiction-wise, G1 seemed to have more characters than all of the Beast Era, RiD, and Unicron Trilogy shows combined.


That's absolutely true. There were TONS of active characters at any given time, and many were introduced only to be seen again once or twice. And given the 2-D medium, it was easy to pull that off.
With the 3-D models, it's not quite so easy to make hundreds of different characters and make sure they ALL get at least some screentime. Also, with smaller casts, you can actually get some character development.

So, starting with Beast Wars, they cut back the cast size to give the individual characters more depth.
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1380593)
Posted by Flux Convoy on May 17th, 2012 @ 8:00am CDT
orangeitis wrote:Last time I checked, RiD wasn't in G1 continuity though.

You should have checked more thoroughly. ;) RID is a far flung continuation of G1. Brave Max is simply Fort Max.
:BOT:
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1380596)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 17th, 2012 @ 8:12am CDT
Flux Convoy wrote:
orangeitis wrote:Last time I checked, RiD wasn't in G1 continuity though.

You should have checked more thoroughly. ;) RID is a far flung continuation of G1. Brave Max is simply Fort Max.
:BOT:
Image
Re: TFCC 2013 Membership Incentive Figure Depthcharge Art (1380610)
Posted by RAcast on May 17th, 2012 @ 10:01am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:
orangeitis wrote:Last time I checked, RiD wasn't in G1 continuity though.

You should have checked more thoroughly. ;) RID is a far flung continuation of G1. Brave Max is simply Fort Max.
:BOT:
Image


The short version is, it's a continuity headache. Just go with the logical route and call it a splinter continuity.

Click here to view an additional 55 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014