Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

This September, IDW Gets Animated!

Transformers News: This September, IDW Gets Animated!

Thursday, June 13th, 2013 12:20PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Press Releases
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 14,603

A bit of fun news from our friends over at IDW. As part of a new advertising stunt, the covers of a number of their titles this coming September will feature classic cartoon styled covers, including Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #21! Check out the press release below for more information, and check out the cover mirrored below.

This September, IDW Gets Animated! (Note: not TFA)

Prepare for your favorite IDW comics to get a little more animated than usual this September! All month long, IDW will be publishing special “IDW GETS ANIMATED” variant covers rendered in vein of classic cartoons! Ever wondered what The X-Files’ Mulder and Scully would look like as colorful, hijinks-having monster chasers? Ever wanted to see the mighty Judge Dredd as a rubber-jointed 70’s warrior? OF COURSE YOU HAVE!

Luckily for you, intrepid reader, so have we! This September only, eager fans will be able to find the following titles with special “IDW GETS ANIMATED” variant covers:

While the content of the books will be the same, these variant covers are going to be a vivid blast of cartoon madness. It’s going to be a fun month to say the least, so fans are urged to drop their local comic shop a line and reserve their copies now!

Black Dynamite #1 by Six Point Harness Studios
Danger Girl: The Chase #1 by Loston Wallace
Doctor Who #13 by Blair Shedd
Ghostbusters #8 by Dan Schoening
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #194 by Jim Rugg
Judge Dredd #11 by Phil Postma
Popeye Classics #14 by Jack Mendelsohn
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles New Animated Adventures #3 by Tanya Roberts
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #2 by The Sharp Brothers
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #21 by Andy Suriano
The X-Files: Season 10 #4 by The Sharp Brothers

This September, IDW Gets Animated! (Note: not TFA)
Credit(s): IDW Publishing
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494950)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 13th, 2013 @ 12:30pm CDT
Someone doesn't understand what "animated" means.

Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494953)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 13th, 2013 @ 12:36pm CDT
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494954)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2013 @ 12:36pm CDT
Surely they just mean animated series? As in cartoons? :-?

I don't see the issue you have with it, could you please explain?
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494956)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 13th, 2013 @ 12:37pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:Damn, for a moment there I thought this had something to do with a TFAnimated comic continuation :sad:
Me too. Thought this might be season 4 in comic form. :-(
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494966)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2013 @ 12:57pm CDT
Misleading news headline is misleading :(
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494973)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 13th, 2013 @ 1:19pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Surely they just mean animated series? As in cartoons? :-?

That's what "animated" implies, but there's no mention in there of an animated/cartoon series. They're just talking about comic book covers. Unless those covers have embedded video screens, they're not animated.

ScottyP wrote:Misleading news headline is misleading :(

The headline should be "The September, IDW Uses a Different Illustration Style on their Covers!"
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494977)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 13th, 2013 @ 1:25pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Me too. Thought this might be season 4 in comic form. :-(
Me three. This press release could have benefited from an "Animated: disambiguation" disclaimer.

Then again, that leg of the franchise is probably so old in Hasbro's eyes that continuing it would have to be part of "Guess what's coming Back From The Dead!" week alongside a continuation of the War Within and Energon comics next Infestation crossover. I can see it now:

EGON: "I told you crossing the 'dream-wave' streams could only keep these universes stable for another 6 issues, tops! They've been dead for over a decade!"

DONATELLO: "You're right, there's no keeping linear continuity going any longer!"

BRAINSTORM: "So any events beyond the final defeat of this Unicron will just have to occur after a total restart. It happens. We're used to it by now."

Ah well, Regeneration One and The Hub keep telling us it could happen...
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494979)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 13th, 2013 @ 1:32pm CDT

I only got my hopes up seeing Animated but, then reading the article made it clear that I was a silly fanboy.
The title did not say "IDW gets Animated license" Or will make comics based on Animated", it refers to the fact that all IDW comics series will receive a cover homaging a famous animated show. And in that context the title makes sense. Sure it's nothing I'm interested in or can get exited about but still.
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494983)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2013 @ 1:43pm CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:
Va'al wrote:Surely they just mean animated series? As in cartoons? :-?

ScottyP wrote:Misleading news headline is misleading :(

That's the title of the press release, not much I can do but add a disclaimer!
Though, as Dead Metal said, the post makes clear immediately what is meant, or so I thought. :-?

And the cartoon series are mentioned: if you look at the image (as well as read the press release), you can see the style of some of the covers, like X-Files using the Scooby-Doo font and setting. It's a marketing title, so it's obviously not going to be informative, but rather attention-seeking, instead. :D
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494984)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 13th, 2013 @ 1:43pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:Oh come on this is going a bit far, the headline is not misleading nor is it incorrect.

It implies that the comics are going to be animated. How is that not misleading and incorrect?

I'm not blaming you, Va'al; I'm blaming whoever wrote the press release. Someone needs to give them a dictionary and show them what the word "animated" means. Unless these covers have moving images, they're not animated.
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1494986)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2013 @ 1:48pm CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:

See my previous post. ;)
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495005)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 13th, 2013 @ 2:43pm CDT
Crap, thought there would be some sort of cartoon animation of the comics, more specifically our Transformers comics.

Admittedly, I didn't think of Animated to begin with. :-(
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495013)
Posted by rpetras on June 13th, 2013 @ 2:58pm CDT
I see this as good news.

As a recovering comic collector (I have my 6 month chip!) I won't be tempted to get back into buying comics with this news.

As a huge TFA fan, a TFA comic series might be too much for me to resist.
(Just one issue ... no, just one title .. that's all I need, really!) :D
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495014)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 13th, 2013 @ 3:01pm CDT
rpetras wrote:I see this as good news.

As a huge TFA fan, a TFA comic series might be too much for me to resist.
(Just one issue ... no, just one title .. that's all I need, really!) :D
You do see the "(Note: not TFA)" bit in the title, right?
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495020)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 13th, 2013 @ 3:12pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:You do see the "(Note: not TFA)" bit in the title, right?

It needs another note: "Note: it's not really being animated."
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495021)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2013 @ 3:13pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
rpetras wrote:I see this as good news.

As a huge TFA fan, a TFA comic series might be too much for me to resist.
(Just one issue ... no, just one title .. that's all I need, really!) :D
You do see the "(Note: not TFA)" bit in the title, right?

I think that's what he meant: it's not TFA, so he can't fall back into comics. :D
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495022)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2013 @ 3:14pm CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:You do see the "(Note: not TFA)" bit in the title, right?

It needs another note: "Note: it's not really being animated."

They are based on animated series. It's a headline.
People can read the article, and all will be revealed. :D
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495031)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 13th, 2013 @ 3:28pm CDT
rpetras wrote:I see this as good news.

As a huge TFA fan, a TFA comic series might be too much for me to resist.
(Just one issue ... no, just one title .. that's all I need, really!) :D

Come on, Marvel Dead of Night featuring Man-Thing. He rips people apart while they scream "F**k, f**k f**king F**K! F**King help me your F**king guys!"
You know you want to ;) :lol:
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495039)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2013 @ 3:47pm CDT
First post updated with the AWESOME SAMURAI JACK COVER.
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495044)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 13th, 2013 @ 4:03pm CDT
Va'al wrote:First post updated with the AWESOME SAMURAI JACK COVER.

Wow, even the buildings are Samurai Jack-ish.

So when they mean "animated", they mean new covers done in the styles of other cartoons? :-?
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495045)
Posted by Noideaforaname on June 13th, 2013 @ 4:05pm CDT

Samurai Jack Rodimus is pretty cool, kinda wish it was more than just him, though. It's a rather dull cover.
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495047)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2013 @ 4:13pm CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:.... oh, "animated" not "Animated". With how Ghostbusters and TMNT seem to be using their respective classic cartoon looks, I was expecting Transformers to do the same. Basically, this.

That full cast poster is magnificent. :shock:
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495063)
Posted by rockman_fan on June 13th, 2013 @ 5:48pm CDT
rodimus jack? :-?
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495170)
Posted by camzilla51 on June 14th, 2013 @ 4:51am CDT
Is anyone else getting a Samurai Jack feel from this?
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495212)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 14th, 2013 @ 9:36am CDT
camzilla51 wrote:Is anyone else getting a Samurai Jack feel from this?

No, to me it looks more like Dragonball Z
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495218)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 14th, 2013 @ 9:57am CDT
Dead Metal wrote:
camzilla51 wrote:Is anyone else getting a Samurai Jack feel from this?

No, to me it looks more like Dragonball Z

I assume you're just joking. That couldn't be any more obviously a Samurai Jack homage.
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495229)
Posted by Va'al on June 14th, 2013 @ 10:23am CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
camzilla51 wrote:Is anyone else getting a Samurai Jack feel from this?

No, to me it looks more like Dragonball Z

No no, you can clearly see the planet Vegeta in the background. Image
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495277)
Posted by Optimizzy on June 14th, 2013 @ 12:56pm CDT
wait....there's an X-files comic??!??!?!
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495285)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 14th, 2013 @ 1:25pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
camzilla51 wrote:Is anyone else getting a Samurai Jack feel from this?

No, to me it looks more like Dragonball Z

No no, you can clearly see the planet Vegeta in the background. Image

Plus it has sharp edges and corners and looks all Japanesy and it has orange and we all know Goku wears orange :lol:
Re: This September, IDW Gets Animated! (1495529)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 15th, 2013 @ 5:11am CDT
Kinda disappointed that none of the TF covers seem to homage the old G1 Sunbow style.
We know Guido Guidi can do it, and it would have been kinda cool to see a modern TF redesign in that style. Especially due to the 30th being round the corner.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars