Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy

Transformers News: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy

Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 7:51AM CDT

Category: Movie News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 18,883

TheArnoldFans, an Arnold Schwarzenegger fansite, has posted a brief interview with Transformers: Age of Extinction star Titus Welliver. If you're wondering what the connection is here, Welliver is a big Arnie fan, and the interviewer is a Transformers fan. See Welliver's comments on his character, Savoy, below:

TheArnoldFans: What can you tell me about your role in the upcoming Transformers?

Titus Welliver: I basically play the shark, like the shark of JAWS. I play this (Navy) Seal who has been tasked with eradicating the world of Transformers. Since the battle in Chicago in the previous film, they've now become outlawed so i'm in charge of a group of guys who are doing that.

TheArnoldFans: Were you familiar at all with the Transformers universe when you cam on the project?

Titus Welliver: Very much so. I have three children and they were actually my encyclopedia for that. I watched all the films but any questions that I had, I just talked to my 14 year old, and my 12 and 8 year old.

TheArnoldFans: Do your kids have the toys too?

Titus Welliver: Yeah, they have the toys. Michael Bay had a conversation with my 12 year old and then Michael came back to me afterwards and he said, 'I just had a conversation with your son and he might know a little bit more about these films than I do, and I made them." So I had a great source with m kids.
Credit(s): TheArnoldFans
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562251)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 3rd, 2014 @ 7:53am CDT
So, James Savoy is a Navy Seal, eh? Or, was Welliver just comparing him to one?

And, I'm not surprised that his kid knew more about the movies than Bay did.
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562298)
Posted by T-Macksimus on April 3rd, 2014 @ 10:22am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:So, James Savoy is a Navy Seal, eh? Or, was Welliver just comparing him to one?

And, I'm not surprised that his kid knew more about the movies than Bay did.

I think the better description for the character is to describe him as a former Navy S.E.A.L. Common practice for govt. agencies, especially those routinely involved in planning the "Black Ops." that some of our elite military is ordered to carry out, is to recruit out of the elite units of the armed forces. You wouldn't find a typical, active military SEAL willing to "Work the girl" as Attinger had ordered him to do, especially on a fellow American and a kid at that, but the guys they enlist/recruit into the "other" agencies... those boys don't think twice about such an order. They'd shoot their own grandmother for the promise of a Klondike Bar and a pat on the back at the end of the Op. Not quite the behavior of a typical elite unit member. Yeah, the SEAL's and Special Forces boys are nasty but it takes a special kind of nasty to do the governments dirty work and enjoy it as much as Welliver's character seems to.

And yes, I'm not all that surprised at Bay's statement either. I do hope he looks back on that and realizes just how profound a remark that really is. That should honestly tell him something about how he's handling the franchise.
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562373)
Posted by Flashwave on April 3rd, 2014 @ 1:25pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:

And, I'm not surprised that his kid knew more about the movies than Bay did.

You're absolutely right, but I also feel like that's in part a comment on this franchiseitself. Michael made the movies, and hat is certainly he main topic, but here were books, comics, even within the movie verses, it takes on a life of its own and we fans really don't make their jobs any easier because we take every little thing, be it subtle details, ironies, continuit points, and we run with it.
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562395)
Posted by bluecatcinema on April 3rd, 2014 @ 1:59pm CDT
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562411)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 3rd, 2014 @ 2:26pm CDT
bluecatcinema wrote:So after the Autobots saved humanity's collective asses, they got outlawed? That's gratitude for you.

Well, here's a (possible) explanation: there was already distrust between the Autobots and the United States to begin with, as the US government kept the Ark's presence on the moon a secret from the Autobots. The fact that the Decepticons launched a full-scale invasion on Earth didn't positively affect the relationship between human society and Cybertronians, either. After the Decepticon invasion was successfully defeated, the trust between humanity and Cybertronian had already withered, regardless of faction.

Simply put, Earth does not want to be involved with an intergalactic war between two very destructive factions, even if one of them intended no harm to begin with. Best way to stay out? Kill 'em all.
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562416)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 3rd, 2014 @ 2:50pm CDT
Basically like what happened at the end of All Hail Megatron. Even though the Autobots saved us, too much damage had already been done to mend any relationship between the Autobots and humanity. Come the Costa era, Skywatch starts gunning for all Cybertronians.
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562417)
Posted by DeadCaL on April 3rd, 2014 @ 2:57pm CDT

I made a comic about that :-)

Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562733)
Posted by TurboMMaster on April 4th, 2014 @ 4:01pm CDT
Well, we all shall remember that Human allies are the only reason why Autobots survived that long. Humans were always the stronger part of alliance in this universe and they saved Autobots from total failure few times... It's not like Autobots stayed on Earth so they could protect us, they are hiding on our planet and are supported by our troops. Some boy saved Optimus once and revived him the second time, and only because of him Autubots are still alive.
Re: Titus Welliver Talks about Transformers: Age of Extinction Charater Savoy (1562815)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 4th, 2014 @ 11:27pm CDT
And now we've come to where Optimus starts gunning down humans in order to survive. Yay. :roll:
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism