Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images

Saturday, February 15th, 2014 8:58PM CST

Categories: Event News, Game News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 26,362

Our friends at Activision dropped by with a couple of additional images from their just announced Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark video game. We took a moment to chat with Andrew Petrie and Rob Fleischer them about game at Hasbro Media Day. They describe the game as the universes of Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and Transformers: Age of Extinction colliding. The game will feature both campaign and online modes including escalation. All items and bonuses unlocked or earned in one mode will carry over to the other. So any weapons or abilities you've acquired in campaign mode will follow into multi-player, and vice versa. We were able to view some in-game footage, which featured Transformers: Age of Extinction Grimlock stomping, chomping, and bashing his way through the environment and enemies alike. Unfortunately no video was allowed of the in-game footage. This game will be available on all major gaming platforms, with a special Nintendo DS version. We can expect a full announcement on Monday, but for now check out the in-game images below.

Transformers News: Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Listed on Amazon

Credit(s): Activision
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551153)
Posted by #Sideways# on February 15th, 2014 @ 9:24pm CST
Words cannot describe how little I'm looking forward to this. :-(

I mean, what even is going on with this? These designs don't look too congruent. It'd be like doing an Animated meets G1 crossover. Hint: It would be horrid-looking.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551155)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on February 15th, 2014 @ 9:27pm CST
interesting concept but it could go horribly horribly wrong, your taking the best TF continuity (excluding the TFP part cause i still say its not part of the cybertron universe) & merging it with one of the worst. hopefully its more like war for cybertron & less like fall of cybertron & dark of the moon.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551157)
Posted by Wageboo on February 15th, 2014 @ 9:37pm CST
If they're making similar gameplay to Fall of Cybertron, at least let us be able to see the FRONT of our characters as well! So you could do a 360 degree turn or something like that. It would be something I would like to see.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551158)
Posted by Wageboo on February 15th, 2014 @ 9:40pm CST
#Sideways# wrote:It'd be like doing an Animated meets G1 crossover.

Animated was pretty much a G1 reboot itself, with some not g1 characters.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551162)
Posted by ricemazter on February 15th, 2014 @ 9:50pm CST
Though I'll reserve my judgments for when we have a more in depth look at the product, I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be something akin to Fall of Cybertron 1.5. From the images seen so far, the assets in the cybertron corner look copy pasted from FoC, with the only new content being the AoE stuff. I have to wonder if this isn't something that could have been simple dlc for FoC with new skins. Then again, I'm not a game dev, so what do I know?
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551163)
Posted by ricemazter on February 15th, 2014 @ 9:52pm CST
Gah! double post
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551168)
Posted by KingEmperor on February 15th, 2014 @ 10:03pm CST
I'm looking forward to this, but I really wanted a true FoC sequel.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551175)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 15th, 2014 @ 10:55pm CST
#Sideways# wrote:Words cannot describe how little I'm looking forward to this. :-(

Well, G1 Optimus Prime did cameo in the Japanese dub of Animated, in which he and Animated Optimus briefly talked together about the next upcoming episode, albeit in audio form only. ;)

And there was that "Bee in the City" live script reading crossover between Animated and TransTech, in which a few Animated character met Beast Wars Megatron. :P

And there's also been crazier crossovers in the 3H BotCon stuff and the TCC stuff. :-B
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551181)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 15th, 2014 @ 11:05pm CST
I'm...not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this. Am I supposed to like it?

[strike]who[/strike] [strike]why[/strike] when did they decide putting to completely different franchises together was a golden idea?

I'm being too harsh. Too early to tell. I'll think about it more after some sleep.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551190)
Posted by PrymeStriker on February 15th, 2014 @ 11:36pm CST
The films and the Aligned continuity cross dimensions?

Interesting.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551191)
Posted by SlyTF1 on February 15th, 2014 @ 11:45pm CST
I hope this combining of 2 TF universes gives way to some crazy ass Bioshock Infinite ending type of feel to the game. I've always wanted something like that for Transformers. But I don't think it's ever been done. And I won't be surprised in the slightest if that doesn't happen here, but considering how many universes lie in the Transformers multiverse (franchise), I'm surprised no one has done that yet.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551192)
Posted by SlyTF1 on February 15th, 2014 @ 11:45pm CST
Accidental double post.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551220)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 16th, 2014 @ 2:49am CST
Agamemnon wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:*Sigh* Well, it looks like I can finally cut myself off from these video games. It may be awesome in playability, but what drew me to WfC and FoC was the definite G1 tie in. I do not like the tie in to the movies (or even Prime, for that matter.)

WFC/FOC are not G1 though, they are (or where if this is going to be connected to the movies) Aligned, which means Prime.

True, but I find that more of a retcon. It seems clear to me that WfC, in particular, was meant to align with G1, or at the very least throw back to it. (Compare BB with G1 and Prime/the movies, and I think this is pretty clear.)

Also, I should state that I don't like Hasbro's attempts to "align" everything. They own the properties, so they get to do what they want. But I think it is wrong of them to stifle the imagination of their customers, which is what I think they are doing whether intentional or not. But, that's just my opinion...

No it's not, if you look at the behind the scenes stuff, the interviews, and the fact that the story is basically the same as all the other Prime prequel material it's clear that it's always been intended to serve as a tie-in to Prime. High Moon even said that they just wanted to let it look as close as possible to the G1 cartoon because that was their favorite incarnation and the one they grew up with.
If by looking vaguely like G1 is all it takes to convince you that it's supposed to be G1, then you probably also view Animated as G1.

So it is a crossover and not a real sequel to FOC? Lame, it doesn't even have High Moon attached from what I can tell.
Skipping this.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551228)
Posted by Cyhwuhx on February 16th, 2014 @ 3:58am CST
I'm afraid Activision is now framing this as Call of Duty: Transformers. The previous games were already moving towards that line, but the current setup of having you unlock stuff in single- and multiplayer implies that there's no way Actvision will provide us with a large (story-based) campaign.

The basic equipment will probably unlock in single throughout the campaign, while in multiplayer it'll take you just a few battles, further equipment trickling in through in-game purchases, DLC or season passes. Or. Very. Slow. Grinding. The two worlds colliding thing is just there to generate more content (and recycle assets from the previous games). This also makes sense considering Transformers Universe flip-flopped from being an online multiplayer shooter towards a LoL-clone.

We'll be lucky if we'll get a four hour campaign out of it, I think. On the other hand, this might just be the 'movie tie-in', and in that respect this sounds much better than any of the other preceding movie games. >:oP
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551243)
Posted by cowardlyzebra on February 16th, 2014 @ 5:41am CST
Um two universes? Does that mean they can connect to each other like doing some Spiderman edge of time stuff
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551254)
Posted by starwarrior1227 on February 16th, 2014 @ 7:12am CST
At first I was actually excited, but after thinking about this, it just looks like a cheap cash in. The Idea of these two universes colliding just SCREAMS the material was scraped off from past projects in order to make a new profit.

These are the two biggest universes out right now, but the only people who actually know that the Aligned and Bay-verse universes are not the same are those that actually spend as much time as we(the TF fandom) do. It's important to remember because why couldn't they just have the two universes "bleed" into one when the portion of the game's market never knew or cared that the universes were different. Then the cliche' MULTI-VERSE COLLISION ARC wouldn't have to be used to make what could be a great game.

This game will be rushed and undone, as its Activision and High Moon is no longer a studio.
And unless done with Bio-Shock-esque physics/story, there won't be a good reason for the two worlds colliding.I think the only way this could be acceptable on a cannon base story would be if FOC Shockwave tries to rebuild the space bridge after FOC and something goes wrong (though i would be skeptic from the start because Shockwave is too smart to make a mistake resulting in a space bridge opening a portal to another dimension completely).

This being said i'm sure i should just shut-up, stop being so picky, and enjoy the AWESOME THAT WILL ENSUE!!! WOOO!! IM CHOOSING FOC ALL THE WAY!! SCREW THE BAY-VERSE!!! :P
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551279)
Posted by Rated X on February 16th, 2014 @ 8:49am CST
So does this mean I can pick my favorite bayformer and have him blast off FOC Omegas stupid monkey arms ? This might make it worth buying an xbox, ps4 or whatever it is people play these days...
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551293)
Posted by Agamemnon on February 16th, 2014 @ 10:35am CST
Dead Metal wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Skipping this.

But, see, that's the same problem I'm having with Hasbro. Why must this align in a way that takes the customer, i.e. us, out of the creative process? Why not leave it open to interpretation how we all want to see it?

And, no, please don't put words/thoughts in my mouth. I can see a resemblance between BB of G1 and WfC, not Animated. If this was always intended to be Prime/aligned, then why not make BB look more like Prime BB? Because they wanted to have that G1 tie in, or throwback. The stories of WfC and Exodus, while not entirely consistent with the G1 cartoon mythology, could be reasonably integrated with each other, as long as one doesn't get too picky, in my opinion. Perhaps my memory is a little fuzzy, but I thought the aligned continuity idea came during WfC development. Now, granted, I didn't see the behind the scenes interviews, so I will gladly defer to you on that info. But, given how the game looked, the references to G1, it has the feel of decisions being made part way through to make changes to "align" things more.

But I do agree with you. I don't like the crossover idea at all and will be skipping this altogether.
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551308)
Posted by gamerdude62700 on February 16th, 2014 @ 11:22am CST
awesome game can't wait till the movie!
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Coverage: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Images (1551343)
Posted by Mindmaster on February 16th, 2014 @ 1:43pm CST
During the craze of Toy Fair 2014, we hope you gamers out there got a kick out of the next game featuring our favorite transforming robots, Rise of the Dark Spark. In any case, the company developing the title, surprisingly, is not High Moon Studios. No, instead the game will be developed, Examiner.com reports, by Edge of Reality.

[quote]High Moon Studios, who developed Transformers: War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron, is not developing Rise of the Dark Spark. Edge of Reality, who previously worked on the Mass Effect Trilogy and Dragon Age: Origins, are developing Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark and the game will be available for the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PC, Wii U, and 3DS.[/quote]

On a side note, for the 3DS version, the developer will be Way Forward, who is known for making Duck Tales: Remastered and other games.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers AGE of Extinction Platinum Edition Autobots United Bumblebee - Time Remaining: 5 days 1 hour 42 minutes 42 seconds
ULTRA MAGNUS Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Leader Class 2015 - Time Remaining: 3 days 11 hours 3 minutes 50 seconds
Takara Transformers Car Robots 2000 RID D-001 GIGATRON Predacon Leader Megatron - Time Remaining: 4 days 13 hours 36 minutes 56 seconds
TRANSFORMERS~Cyber Stompin’ Optimus Prime 11″ Talking 2006  Movie Figure Hasbro - Time Remaining: 3 days 6 hours 57 minutes 8 seconds
Transformers Crossovers Marvel Captain America & Iron Man lot - Time Remaining: 3 days 19 hours 42 minutes 7 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Deluxe Autobot Crosswise (2005). - Time Remaining: 4 days 17 hours 57 minutes 1 second
Takara Tomy Transformers G2 Ressiue Encore 20A Devastator  New - Time Remaining: 3 days 20 hours 27 minutes 46 seconds
Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-30 Ratchet Action Figure Nissan Cherry+COIN - Time Remaining: 3 days 15 hours 37 minutes 35 seconds
Website Security Test