Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme

Transformers News: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme

Sunday, June 2nd, 2013 2:00PM CDT

Category: Movie News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 19,116

Back in April Paramount announced they had entered a Cooperation Agreement with Jiaflix Enterprises and the China Movie Channel, and since then we've learned that China would play a major part in "Transformers 4" with filming, Chinese stars, and even a reality show with the prize being a role in the film.

Marc Ganis, president of Jiaflix Enterprises, has went even further stating that Transformers 4 will have a China-centric theme.

The film has a great deal to do with China. Effectively, China is a character in it

He also states there will only be one "worldwide" version of the film rather than releasing a version specific to China with additional footage starring Chinese actors like the recently released "Iron Man 3".

There is going to be a single version (of the film) worldwide with a very significant Chinese component

The full article can be found on xinhuanet.com by click here.
Credit(s): xinhuanet.com
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492157)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 2nd, 2013 @ 2:06pm CDT
Interesting. Everyone remember to keep tabs on China.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492159)
Posted by dabattousai on June 2nd, 2013 @ 2:16pm CDT
I can already see the subtitle they will go with...

TransFormers: Made in China
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492166)
Posted by Eagleblaster on June 2nd, 2013 @ 2:50pm CDT
I see a trend and the direction that these (Ironman, Wolverine and Transformers 4) super hero movies are going. And I'm all with it. Theres much more Transformers 4 info that's more than meets the eye comming. Maybe those movies I mentioned all was just to lead up to this upcoming blockbuster Bayverse movie 8)
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492167)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on June 2nd, 2013 @ 2:50pm CDT
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492168)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 2nd, 2013 @ 2:52pm CDT
Doubledealer93 wrote:Um, whhhyy? Im not against it im just wondering why the love of china all of a sudden?

To be fair, we owe China shitloads.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492170)
Posted by Burn on June 2nd, 2013 @ 2:56pm CDT

China has been opening up more and more in recent years. They're one of the biggest economies in the world and thanks to their opening up, are more welcoming of big Hollywood movies.

It's strictly an economic move.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492173)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:04pm CDT
Burn wrote:

It's strictly an economic move.

ohh ok. makes sense now.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492181)
Posted by zatara1701 on June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:53pm CDT
I will say this only to point out a fact about China... I refuse to jump into the speculation as fact bandwagon...

China for SEVERAL years now is on the forefront of archaeological finds regarding dinosaurs.

Just saying...
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492193)
Posted by Xephon0930 on June 2nd, 2013 @ 4:23pm CDT
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492196)
Posted by BeastProwl on June 2nd, 2013 @ 4:28pm CDT
Well, because, you know, Drift and all that...
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492197)
Posted by Burn on June 2nd, 2013 @ 4:35pm CDT
BeastProwl wrote:On the whole china note, I hope we get a bunch of ninja and samurai designs on and off the screen.

That's Japan ...
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492199)
Posted by Capt.Failure on June 2nd, 2013 @ 4:36pm CDT
Eagleblaster wrote:I see a trend and the direction that these (Ironman, Wolverine and Transformers 4) super hero movies are going.

Actually Wolverine is set in Japan and the character as a good chunk of his backstory set there since forever.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492201)
Posted by Eagleblaster on June 2nd, 2013 @ 4:43pm CDT
Capt.Failure wrote:

China and Japan are both the far east rite.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492204)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 2nd, 2013 @ 4:49pm CDT
Eagleblaster wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:

China and Japan are both the far east rite.

Yes, China and Japan are part of the area designated as the Far East.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492211)
Posted by Metrosuplex on June 2nd, 2013 @ 5:31pm CDT

I'm not sure why the replies weren't more blunt: CHINA FUNDS MOVIES.
Emerging economy, lots of Chinese TF fans, blah blah blah. But the reality is that China has $$$ to spend, and has funded U.S. presidency bids, as well. Why not court them for some sweet TF Movie budget? :x But on that note, it's a little disturbing to see Chinese dollars invested in so many U.S. enterprises and politics... It's culturally dangerous for Hollywood types to blindly accept foreign money and tailor American movies to foreign cultures. A little is fine, of course, but too much and it's total culture war... Won't be long before these movies begin depicting the USA as more and more comically incompetent (this is, after all, how a lot of the world depicts the USA, at best). :shock:

Xephon0930 wrote:So is this film going to go the route of Gosei Sentai Dairanger where all the Transformers know Shaolin Martial Arts? A Kirin transformer would be awesome as well.

BeastProwl wrote:Well, because, you know, Drift and all that...

Eagleblaster wrote:China and Japan are both the far east rite.

You're probably unaware, but this is a GREAT way to insult both Chinese and Japanese people. It's like saying, "Isn't Mexico and USA part of North America?" So, you know, why not compare Americans to Mexicans. Same sort of thing, I mean. :roll:

Anyway, my point is that the Asian countries really don't like each other over in the East. Making ignorant comparisons between them or alluding to two countries being the same is INCREDIBLY INSULTING to Asians. Keep that in mind if you ever join a conversation with a group of Asians. I've made pretty ignorant comments before myself, when I was unaware of how nationalistic Asians are as a whole. #-o
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492214)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 2nd, 2013 @ 5:44pm CDT
Metrosuplex wrote:

I'm not sure why the replies weren't more blunt: CHINA FUNDS MOVIES.

Mindmaster wrote:
To be fair, we owe China shitloads.

This wasn't blunt enough?

[quote]

BeastProwl wrote:Well, because, you know, Drift and all that...

I know you guys mean well, fellow TF fans, but your comments come off as extremely racist. I mean, if China were to depict Americans, should they have cowboy hats, eat french fries, and play football all the time? I really hope Bay can depict China with less racist undertones. :roll: [/quote]

I'm pretty sure China views us that way anyway.

[quote]
Eagleblaster wrote:China and Japan are both the far east rite.

[/quote]

The guy was asking a damn question, calm yourself.
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492217)
Posted by Eagleblaster on June 2nd, 2013 @ 5:50pm CDT
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492224)
Posted by Xephon0930 on June 2nd, 2013 @ 6:29pm CDT
Metrosuplex wrote:

I'm not sure why the replies weren't more blunt: CHINA FUNDS MOVIES.

BeastProwl wrote:Well, because, you know, Drift and all that...

Eagleblaster wrote:China and Japan are both the far east rite.

Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492225)
Posted by Brakethrough on June 2nd, 2013 @ 6:56pm CDT
Maybe they could do the angle from the early IDW comics, where several Decepticons are recovered and become guardians of various countries around the world (with hidden goals of their own, naturally)
Re: Transformers 4 Will Have a China-centric Theme (1492249)
Posted by Metrosuplex on June 2nd, 2013 @ 8:55pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:

Mindmaster wrote:
To be fair, we owe China shitloads.

This wasn't blunt enough?

We owe China sh*tloads could also be interpreted as, "China makes the toys and we owe em!" So no, not really blunt enough. :grin:

Mindmaster wrote:
I'm pretty sure China views us that way anyway.

I got it now - so since China is racist, we are racist, too. Or is it that we're racist, and then China is racist because of that. Either way, racism all around FTW! :lol:

Mindmaster wrote:
The guy was asking a damn question, calm yourself.

I was trying to save him some social awkwardness. Like I said, it is a bad thing to say when speaking to an Asian of any country. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was mad. It's not like I'm in favor of being politically correct all the time, but neither do I approve of lazy generalities by people who don't care if they're pissing someone off.

It's like, can I call someone FATTY if I don't know their name and they're fat? Well, what if I don't mean it in a bad way? :grin:

Help a fellow TF fan not look like an ignorant fool! :-? It's what Optimus would do.

Eagleblaster wrote:Mexicans are Americans just as much as long time Americans. They also helped and shape tye USA. If someone said something like the Alamo. Two totally different cultures from the same place. Technically there are more similarities between japan and china than Mexicans and Americans. They are both part of the same region.

Yeah, I agree. Lots of similarities. I wasn't trying to make you feel stupid for making that statement - I was just saying it's insulting to the Asians themselves. To be fair, my Mexican analogy didn't do the trick I intended it to. Anyway, the reasons they hate each other is very historical, and in the case of China and Japan, it's even bordering on the idiotic - you haven't heard of the Senkaku Islands, have you? Look, I don't care if you call them "Orientals". I love that word. I was just trying to caution you guys about the unintended racism. :grin: Haha! Talk about a hot topic. Didn't I mention how I don't think you guys are racists???? I know you don't mean it in a bad way, which was why I was trying to emphasize how this isn't a conversation to have with an ACTUAL CHINESE PERSON or JAPANESE PERSON! :oops:

Xephon0930 wrote:How is my comment the slightest bit racist? Have you ever seen the awesomeness of Gosei Sentai Dairanger?

I'm sorry! :oops: I wasn't intending on calling you racist. I was saying that China = samurai or ninja or martial arts is a racist thing to think.

The comments sounded like this to me:
"Hey! I know this Chinese kid who likes TF's!!!"
"Cool! So does he know kung-fu, too? Can he put his TF's in cool Kung-fu poses?!" :lol:

I was just putting up a CAUTION: RACISM AHEAD sign! Not saying you're racist! Sorry!

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #136 - The Gathering