Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown

Transformers News: Transformers: Age  of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown

Saturday, April 12th, 2014 4:08AM CDT

Categories: Movie News, People News, Media, Interviews
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 40,170

As we've seen yesterday, Entertainment Weekly has had a chat with Michael Bay, getting some interesting information about the upcoming Transformers: Age of Extinction movie being the first of a new trilogy (not a reboot - a new installment of three films). What we didn't mention is the fact that Bay also talked more about the still relatively enigmatic character of Lockdown and his ship. Read on below for the details, or head here for the full article!

It’s actually a Transformer who is neither Autobot or Decepticon, a bounty hunter named Lockdown, whose alternate form is a Lamborghini Aventador.

“Lockdown is an interesting character. He travels the galaxy, he works for somebody else. And he’s here for one person, one alien, and then he’s out of here,” Bay says. “So he doesn’t really want to take sides. The cause and balance of the galaxy is kind of messed up when different species play with different species. And that opens up a whole other gigantic world for Transformers.”

[...]

“Lockdown’s ship has a lot of meaning that can go into other movies. There’s a lot of backstory about that ship that’s not laid out here,” he says. “You’re going to see a few things where you’re like ‘What is that? And what is that?’ And you’re going to see a couple shots like, ‘Wait a minute, who are they?’ But we don’t answer those questions.”
Credit(s): EW

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564661)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on April 12th, 2014 @ 4:27am CDT
Holy crap, Bay is thinking like a director instead of a pyrotechnics junkie. He's actually said something that makes me think "Wow, I want to see how this develops!" instead of saying something that makes me think "Yeah, I'll just ignore that and take the movie at face value."
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564663)
Posted by Crosshairs on April 12th, 2014 @ 4:34am CDT
Am I the only one thinking Quintessons, or am I giving Bay too much credit?
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564665)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on April 12th, 2014 @ 4:43am CDT
Crosshairs wrote:Am I the only one thinking Quintessons, or am I giving Bay too much credit?

I'm in the same boat. Cautiously optimistic. Who would send a bounty hunter after Optimus Prime (if it's even Optimus that Lockdown is after!)? For all we know, he's after Megatron/Galvatron, or Bumblebee! Maybe that message I sent into space asking for that yellow f**kers head was finally answered!

Or he could be there until the end of the movie where he's killed in a less than two minute fight scene.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564669)
Posted by OptimusPrimeval on April 12th, 2014 @ 5:15am CDT
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564671)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on April 12th, 2014 @ 5:22am CDT
OptimusPrimeval wrote:I hope Lockdown's ship is Unicron's head. I don't know how Bay could pass up the possibility of a movie Unicron, it could be one of the best scenes in sci-fi if it was made suitably epic!

I dunno, that might be a little too CEREBRAL for Bay. ;)
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564694)
Posted by Nisus on April 12th, 2014 @ 8:08am CDT
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:

Maybe Lockdown isn't even there after a Transformer? To quote Bay, "Lockdown is an interesting character. He travels the galaxy, he works for somebody else. And he’s here for one person, one alien, and then he’s out of here". To me it sounds like he may be after a human. From the Transformers, and other species, point of view (especially those that haven't been to Earth) wouldn't we be the aliens?

Or am I also giving Bayonnaise too much credit?
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564704)
Posted by eyl on April 12th, 2014 @ 8:53am CDT
Maybe Lockdown was sent to capture Mark Wahlberg's character. Being the only person that can use a Cybertronian weapon, that make him unique.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564706)
Posted by ishigoto on April 12th, 2014 @ 9:03am CDT
Ezrakel wrote:
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:

Or am I also giving Bayonnaise too much credit?

Nah, If you look at the superbowl trailer you can see a brief clip of Optimus held upside down in Lockdown's ship. Lockdown's probably on the payroll of some Decepticons wanting vengeance on Optimus.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564707)
Posted by BERSEKAEL on April 12th, 2014 @ 9:08am CDT
Or after Grimlock... the dinobots are a special ops team that came to earth before the fallen's time after all.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564708)
Posted by Deathscythetransform on April 12th, 2014 @ 9:21am CDT
I sincerely hope that the others for who lockdown works arent the Quintessons.

I have always hated them with a passion and I dont miss them. I really would have liked to see them die in the third season after the return of optimus prime, but it didn,t happen.

still, it would be a good surprise... but I would still hate them
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564710)
Posted by T-Macksimus on April 12th, 2014 @ 9:39am CDT
That having been said, don't be surprised if you do see trinkets like Predator helmets (I'm thinking a pair hanging from the "rear view mirror" like fuzzy dice in a hot rod) or Alien skulls (now I could see one of those making for a cool gear shift handle) or other stuff like that thrown in for shits and giggles inside Lockdowns ship. You see Easter Eggs like those and you can bet that that was Bay's handiwork. And ffs don't respond with the typical "...but a Transformer would crush an Alien skull if it was used as a shifter handle. That's just stupid!" Those were just amusing examples off the top of my head. If anyone bitches about that in all seriousness then they need to be slapped up side the head with 3 feet of limp Cybertronian undercarriage.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564713)
Posted by Deadput on April 12th, 2014 @ 10:29am CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:If anyone bitches about that in all seriousness then they need to be slapped up side the head with 3 feet of limp Cybertronian undercarriage.

Why?

is no one allowed to have a different opinion?

I didn't know you were god.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564731)
Posted by SlyTF1 on April 12th, 2014 @ 12:21pm CDT
Deathscythetransform wrote:I sincerely hope that the others for who lockdown works arent the Quintessons.

still, it would be a good surprise... but I would still hate them

I hope it's Unicron. I could care less about Quintessons. I just don't care about them at all.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564736)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on April 12th, 2014 @ 12:37pm CDT
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564742)
Posted by Deadput on April 12th, 2014 @ 1:38pm CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:your all wrong lockdown is working for.........THE GOBOTS!!!!!! After years of being outcasts & shunned by most they are finally getting their revenge. But joking aside what id like to see is another race of transformers that actually looks like normal transformers so that way we can all see that those older design would actual work on the big screen. I hope its not unicron cause it would be a shame to see him turned into something stupid. The quintessons i wouldnt mind since they havent had a major role in the franchise in a while but only if they are done right & not just thrown in half assed.

If your talking about blocky G1 style then no that would never work on the big screen unless this was a minecraft movie.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564802)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 12th, 2014 @ 7:03pm CDT
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564809)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on April 12th, 2014 @ 7:59pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:I think all of you are giving Bay too much credit. You might want to throw that credit (or scorn) in Ehren Kruger's direction. It's Bay's job to get filled in on the back-story as he goes along since he's the public "face" of the project. He may have had an outline or vague idea but it was Kruger's job to flesh it out, fill in the details and make it work while staying somewhat in continuity with what has come before it in the first 25+ years of lore. Bay has been cranking out other projects in the last few years and hasn't had time to research the price of a pack of toilet paper much less the details of Transformers history like Unicron and the Quintesons.

Personally, I'm glad that Bay was receptive towards Kruger's scriptwriting. Bay was all "don't push the anti kid-fun button" with O&K--his own words from the DVD commentary.

To give credit where it's due, though, Kruger is an improvement over O&K since he's actually a TF fan, and is more knowledgeable with TF lore.

Overall, I'm very happy with what I see in AoE as the first of a new trilogy. Moving away from Sam's story is the wisest thing they did. The "boy and his car" thing was Spielberg's idea in the first place. It was more or less forced onto Bay, who doesn't do "Saturday matinee" movies.

With AoE, Bay is in his element--macho characters (Cade, the Nascar guy), bromance moments (Cade and Optimus). You see these things in his pre-TF movies, and he does pretty well with them. I think he can finally take the TF's more seriously because all his preferred elements are there. And coupled with Kruger's better scriptwriting, everything just falls into place.

He just doesn't do well with a quirky character like Sam, IMO. And if the lead character isn't someone you like, your creative instinct just tries to fight you all the way.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Sabrblade wrote:All past evidence (trailer footage, CinemaCon footage descriptions, etc.) points to Lockdown coming after Optimus.

That scene of Optimus hanging upside down in Lockdown's ship does make it pretty apparent.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564819)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 12th, 2014 @ 8:34pm CDT
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:

Not to mention that, in the descriptions of the CinemaCon footage, while Optimus is having his street fight with Galvatron, Lockdown's ship arrives on the scene and Lockdown gets out to beat up and capture Optimus, accidentally scooping up Tessa as well.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564828)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on April 12th, 2014 @ 9:14pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:

I think I missed the Cinemacon post.

From your description, it's almost definitely OP.

I'm really curious as to who Lockdown's client is. From Bay's description, it it's almost definitely the Quintessons. But just between you and me, I think he/it/they might fit the description of the Quints (a species of manipulative, scheming aliens with ulterior motives towards the TF's) but might not be Quintessons per se.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Michael Bay Gives Further Details on Lockdown (1564882)
Posted by megatronus on April 13th, 2014 @ 1:25am CDT
My mind naturally gravitates towards toy matters... will the AOE toy be a better or worse stand-in for Classics Lockdown than the ROTF version?

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers OMEGA SUPREME *Complete In Box* *Vintage 1985 G1* - Time Remaining: 3 days 2 hours 47 minutes 36 seconds
MEGATRON Assembly Sheet Transformers G1 Vintage 1984 Hasbro Great Condition - Time Remaining: 3 days 2 hours 8 minutes 42 seconds
Transformers Universe SNARL New RARE RID - Time Remaining: 2 days 7 hours 25 minutes 9 seconds
Hasbro Transformers G1 Astrotrain triple changer reissue - Time Remaining: 2 days 10 hours 41 minutes 39 seconds
NEW IN PACK 2001 Transformers RID Robots in Disguise LEVEL 1 X-Brawn SCOURGE - Time Remaining: 3 days 9 hours 59 minutes 26 seconds
TRANSFORMERS HASBRO MOVIE 2007 LEADER CLASS BRAWL NEW MISB - Time Remaining: 2 days 15 hours 6 minutes 1 second
TRANSFORMERS COMBINER WARS LEGENDS CLASS SHOCKWAVE NEW - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 52 minutes 5 seconds
MISB Transformers MASTERPIECE MP-17 PROWL AUTHENTIC 1ST PROD RUN - Time Remaining: 2 days 16 hours 22 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016