Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers)

Transformers News: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers)

Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 6:32PM CST

Categories: Movie News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 53,302

Video website M1905 has posted four more videos relating to the upcoming Transformers: Age of Extinction movie. They feature interviews with producer Lorenzo DiBonaventura, director Michael Bay and cast member Mark Wahlberg and Jack Reynor and Li Bingbing. The videos contain several spoilers about the plot, so we've picked out some of the highlights in the spoiler banners below.

You've been warned!

Di Bonaventura mentions the connection between the military officials and government members in Beijing to the attack taking place in Hong Kong, as well as the presence of a factory in mainland China that will play a major role. He also confirmed that most of the film is set in both mainland China and Hong Kong, making it easier to work with the Chinese actors during shooting.

Bay and Wahlberg talk about the appeal of the Asian setting and reveals that Li Bingbing's character is the owner of the special factory and the addition of a scene to make the most of her fighting skills. There is also an Autobot character who speaks only in Mandarin. They also mention how Wahlberg's character Cade Yaeger and Optimus Prime really connect, as they both have to rise to an occasion bigger than themselves. Cade must make a choice to save his and his daughter's lives, similar to a scenario Optimus finds himself in.

Reynor mentions the relation between his character Shane, an Irish racecar driver (who does a lot of his own stunts), Nicola Peltz's character Tessa and Mark Wahlberg's character Cade: they are secretely dating, as Cade's wife has died and a 'no dating rule' exists in the Yaeger house - which Tessa disagrees with. He saves both characters' lives very early on in the movie, and the dynamics change throughout the film.
Credit(s): M1905

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534371)
Posted by Dr Va'al on December 10th, 2013 @ 6:33pm CST
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534382)
Posted by First-Aid on December 10th, 2013 @ 7:18pm CST
So am I the only one who is taking from this that they are focusing on the parallel between Prime and Cade, and by extension, really exploring some aspects of Prime's character? That is actually promising.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534384)
Posted by YRQRM0 on December 10th, 2013 @ 7:22pm CST
Lots of human details. Hopefully at least a few TFs get some really good character development.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534385)
Posted by Diem on December 10th, 2013 @ 7:23pm CST
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534387)
Posted by autobot1979 on December 10th, 2013 @ 7:56pm CST
The E-jet Chinese car is an Autobot ?
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534392)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on December 10th, 2013 @ 8:11pm CST
Va'al wrote:Anyone who speaks Mandarin, please let us know if anything else comes out of Li Bingbing's video!

My Mandarin's pretty rusty (not a native speaker, mind you) but here's the gist of it.

She plays a strong female character (who she adds, is similar to previous female leads in the TF movies as being strong and capable characters). Her character was hired by Stanley Tucci's character because only she could "make it happen" (probably referring to the "Mother of TF's" thing.)

Trivia: She says Bay either commented or complimented on her ability to do high kungfu kicks, as seen when she did promo photo shoots for AOE or something.

Bay also asked if she was comfortable doing stunts and fight scenes, to which she replied, yes. And so, the bike chase scene was either added to the movie, or she was allowed to do her own stunts.

She comments that "foreign" stunt coordinators are much more attentive when it comes to the safety of the actors.

She says that the most difficult part is trying to understand what Bay was saying to her. She admits her command of English isn't great, and had to concentrate very hard to understand Bay's every word, as he did not speak any slower or try to enunciate his words just because she wasn't American.

She says Bay has a penchant for getting his female actors to run around in high heels.

To the question of what she thinks of Bay, she says he's a bit of a "super intelligent, mad genius." He never wastes resources, and does only what he needs to do to get a scene shot.

There was some other stuff, but some of the terms were very "local", slangs that only a native of China or Beijing would understand. Either way, it doesn't seem to involve TF's.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534395)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on December 10th, 2013 @ 8:44pm CST
Diem wrote:I was going to say that the idea of a Transformer who speaks (only?) Mandarin is a really interesting choice and that it would be nice to have the series take cultural cues from places other than the US and Japan. And then I realized that this is a Bay movie and that such a character can be safely expected to have a metal Paddy Hat and prominent robo buckteeth.

Not likely, IMO. Not sure if it's the producers that are reigning Bay in, or if Bay's trying to avoid any further controversy, but ever since the Twins appeared in ROTF, there haven't really been any "racially offensive" TF's in the movies. NOTE: Whether they are racially offensive or not is a matter of opinion, though.

In DOTM, the Twins themselves were removed, and the Wreckers who everyone predicted would be stereotypical rednecks turned out to have British accents.

In AOE, what with China being such a big investor in the film, I doubt Bay would do anything to offend the Chinese. Even if he does, Paramount would almost certainly put a stop to it.

...probably. :???:
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534400)
Posted by Autobot Megatron on December 10th, 2013 @ 9:36pm CST
Oh Primus, when I first read it I took it as Tessa and Cade were secretly dating. That would have been, well, I don't even know what to say.
Anyways, getting off of the creepy topic, a Mandarin speaking Transformer sounds interesting, although I think I remember (I think it was from the novel, though, which may not technically count) that the Autobots learned English so quickly from the internet. If that's true, then, shouldn't the mystery bot be able to speak English as well, as should the rest of the Autobots be able to speak Mandarin? Never the less, I'm excited for it, although I hope it isn't simply a stereotypical character.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534402)
Posted by ILL-Star on December 10th, 2013 @ 9:49pm CST
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534407)
Posted by T-Macksimus on December 10th, 2013 @ 10:27pm CST
ILL-Star wrote:I don't like hearing that a TRANSFORMER speaks only a specific Earth language. It's not the same as only speaking Cybertronian. Unless of course it came to life in that part of the world. But still, Optimus and the other Autobots seemed to learn a new language quite easily. Even the twins had to learn a new language. The idea of an alien robot being restricted like that seems stupid and unnecessary.

Whoa!

Restricted?? At what point does it mention that he's restricted by this? As far as I'm concerned and until I learn otherwise, this Autobot speaks only Mandarin BY CHOICE! And THAT is a decision that I happen to applaud.
And saying that you don't like hearing that they speak only a specific language... WTF do you think they were doing in the first 3 films??? Speaking SPECIFICALLY ENGLISH, that's what! Fine, some Cybertronian too but Megatron came right out of cold storage speaking English and he crashed and froze long before spoken language even existed on the planet.
Screw the arrogant, elitist, western culture. Make all the damn Yanks have to read sub-titles in this film and actually have to put some conscious thought into the experience instead of sitting on their ever-widening western asses letting their brains atrophy as they watch explosions, scant cleavage and crude bodily function humor. (and yes, I am an American and I am proudly slamming my own culture and country. Suck it! You all KNOW the rest of the world sees us as dumb, fat, gun toting hill-billies and yet we do nothing to counter that image and in fact create reality shows glorifying the stereotype)
Their may yet be some hope for this film after all if it actually has the slightest hint of intellectual influence and manages to piss off a portion of the fandom just because it makes them have to think for once. Whoever this 'Bot is, I'm picking up every incarnation, every action figure of his character and building a shrine to him.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534426)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 10th, 2013 @ 11:39pm CST

The only-Mandarin-speaking TF? I think it is a positive to have a little diversity, whether it's by choice or not.

And having to read subtitles throughout the whole movie? Probably not a good idea, considering Bay's erratic and ADD-fueled editing. It's already hard enough to figure out what goes on during action scenes, if the audience has to read a subtitle that might be on screen for 1 second or less, it might take away from the experience of a movie that looks to be actually better than the 1st 3. If you want to read subtitles throughout, see it in another country that shows the film with them.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534431)
Posted by SlyTF1 on December 11th, 2013 @ 12:39am CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:I hope they keep at least the teen drama to a minimum, with the whole "no dating rule" angle.

Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534441)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 11th, 2013 @ 2:02am CST
SlyTF1 wrote:There were subtitles in the first movie and ROTF. They were on the screen long enough.

Yeah, but they were single lines during slow scenes. Can you imagine having to read an entire conversation between characters while giant robots shoot it out around them? With a conversation, the lines might not be on the screen long enough in order to keep up with the actors talking, and combining that with explosions and quick edits would be distracting.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534489)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 11th, 2013 @ 8:26am CST
I'd imagine that the Mandarin-only bot will probably not be a major character with big blocks of dialogue, instead just being a secondary character who only speaks some lines here and there. Like as much as Ratchet spoke in the first three films.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534542)
Posted by Diem on December 11th, 2013 @ 1:51pm CST

Well this gets into a deeper argument (and maybe proves we think too hard about children's cartoons), which is:

When the Autobots are chatting in American English in the Ark back in 1984 when no humans around, is the situation

a) They're actually speaking Cybertronian, and it's being "translated" for us, the viewer.

b) They're speaking American English for some in-universe reason (ie practice, English being more useful for describing situations on Earth in the Eighties than a millions-of-years old language from another planet, psychological attempts to fit in)

c) They're speaking American English for an out-of-universe reason (ie. the writers and expected viewers are both English speakers, casual American Exceptionalism)

Oddly these questions only come to mind if the character is speaking English in an English language production. There's no objective reason why an Autobot speaking only Mandarin should be any stranger than one speaking only English.

But I'm sorry to say that there's a very unfortunate undertone in your comment. "But still, Optimus and the other Autobots seemed to learn a new language quite easily. Even the twins had to learn a new language." The implication of your comment is that all Autobots SHOULD learn English, regardless of their origins. That speaking a non-English language only is something that needs to be fixed but speaking only English is a-okay. Given that the movie looks to be set in China that's hard to swallow.

I personally salute this choice to include a Mandarin-speaking Autobot for several reasons:

a) It brings more cultural opportunities to the table for storytelling and characterization reasons. And why not? As long as we can avoid sterotypes or flat characterization it would be great to see more of an international effort.

b) It's good for non-American, English or Japanese fans too. Japanese fans got their own regional TFs for Cybertron Satellite so why shouldn't different nations get theirs?

c) The fact that there's conversation about which language an Autobot speaks at least means that an Autobot will be speaking in a Bay movie!
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534636)
Posted by hinomars19 on December 11th, 2013 @ 9:20pm CST
T-Macksimus wrote:

Whoa!

I could be wrong, but maybe he meant restricted in terms that, as his point makes, these are alien robots with the tech to learn new languages in an instant, so, when the need arises, why only speak one language? Movie 1 states they learned Earth's languages via the internet-this was in direct response to Jazz's speech pattern, not particularly that they spoke English. It's fair to assume any cybertronian would not be restricted to one language. And yes, I DO see only knowing one language a restriction. I'll get back to that.
I'm guessing he speaks Mandarin because he has lived in China. But, when he comes in contact with our Autobots and possibly the human characters (was Wahlberg's character in China?) why not learn to speak the English they speak? I think that is the point of view some people have-HOWEVER why doesn't Op and the others just learn Mandarin, if this is the case? :D

For me, if I had a robot brain, and could download languages from the internet, I'd do it in a flash the minute the need presented itself. I'm British, thus I only knew English. Until I met foreign people I had no need to know another language. This isn't ignorance, it's life. We all need a first reason or experience of some sort to want to break out of our native language. I got interested in Japanese culture (please don't laugh, but it first happened when I was 8 with the Ninja Turtles :grin:) As I grew up I loved anime and then to toku and movies and dramas, and finally met some Japanese people, and now have many friends from both Japan and China. Seriously If I had the capabilities as a Cybertronian, I'd learn FAST! Sadly, I don't so I'm doing it the old fashioned way.

Please note above I make the argument that either side could do the same. Op and the others could switch to Mandarin when in China just as easily. This won't happen because we are watching a western movie. Without inciting race rows...an american movie isn't going to shift to Mandarin for 3/4 of a film. For various reasons, and many of them have nothing to do with cultural ignorance. I hate racism and cultural ignorance, but I'd like to think I am objective enough to not see it everywhere.
Given they can do what they can, as we know from movie 1, it's a pretty fair question to ask; why does he only know one language? Why do ANY of the TFs only know one language?
Simplest answer is, like Jetfire's Cane and the wreckers speaking with British accents-it's nothing more than a way of bringing individuality and character to each robot. A lot of people ripped apart Jetfire being old and rusty because TF's can repair easily being robots and all, but that was before we saw the film. He was old and rusty because he had been away from any and all cybertronian life and activity for years, so then in context it made sense, as I am sure this mandarin speaking fellow will, if indeed you need it to make sense at all :)
I get some people are instinctively defensive to this issue, but I'm not sure we need to accuse everyone who questions why one lone bot speaks Mandarin only in a predominantly English movie. Yes, really it only takes few seconds to think on it-'Oh yeah, a large portion of this movie takes place in China-that's why' But...y'know not everyone does that. If anything it gets people talking about it, so consider this the eye opener to some, because honestly, do any of us know what's outside our own walls until something else shows us?

To go off topic slightly, the movie that annoyed me as a lover of foreign culture-The Wolverine! Coincidentaly all the people Logan meets magically know perfect English. Nice :BANG_HEAD: But again, that's not strictly racism or ignorance. it's for audience convenience. Does that pander to and feed cultural ignorance, yes. Is that the full intention of the movie studio...no, I don't believe it is. I don't want to be that cynical yet :) And to be fair, how many Chinese and Japanese movies purposefully film a good chunk of the movie in America, and involve American citizens, just to broaden the minds of their target audience? ;)

I'm fairly certain after watching ROTF I posted on these boards asking why Jetfire was British (or Scotish...it was one or the other, and another poster corrected me) It did seem out of place when it happened. I wasn't being negative, I was just curious. If in G1 or Prime a new bot turned up and suddenly had a French accent, would you not question it? You're not a bad person if you do. Judging a character negatively for their accent or language is a bad thing, but naturally being inquisitive and curious about it is good, because we learn that way :)
That's my thoughts.
Hopefully this bot won't be handled in a negatively stereotypical way. However, given the trilogy's track record...I remain skeptical.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534698)
Posted by TurboMMaster on December 12th, 2013 @ 3:36am CST
Just as I thought, another movie centered mostly on human characters...
Also, this is gonna be a really boring
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1534985)
Posted by Triptykon on December 13th, 2013 @ 11:17am CST
Through the course of the Bay films I've always rationalized the Cybertronians having choose their own languages and accents based on their own desires and likes, or the make and model of their chosen vehicular forms national origin. Like Dino speaking with an Italian accent, and Ironhide using an almost 80's action movie tough guy catch phrase style, Jazz took a more middle aged african american man style speak I assumed based on Jazz music stereotypically being associated with that demographic in pop culture.

The twins were just ridiculous, but another good example of this idea. Even Q (Wheeljack) had an old British inventor style very much obviously like Q from the old Bond films.

Basically I always just figured it was by the 'Bots choice how they crafted their style and style of speech. Another of those unspoken Bay'isms he expects everyone to just understand in his films based on his perceived notions of stereotypical roles certain demographics have always played in western popular culture.

As I type this and think about it more, the same could be said for the old G1 cartoon. Scatman Crothers doing Jazz's voice, Powerglide's sort of obnoxious slang, Warpath as well, Brawn being a sort of bluecollar everyman with a limited view on his fellow bots social roles, Soundwave so absorbed in the gathering of information and intelligence that his personality near non existant, Rumble also another rough everyman almost bar brawler-ish.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1535024)
Posted by Tronus_Rex on December 13th, 2013 @ 1:39pm CST
=;

Don't fall for it - just stop!

Personally, I'm not reading the spoilers, accuracy being part of the issue, but also because, sometimes, what is given away can give the wrong impression, these spoilers could make us all angry, only for us to learn on viewing of the film, that in the film it works & the movie is great. The opposite can happen as well, & this has been the norm for the TF sequels.

I've since learned, ignore the strategically planted "leaks", & judge for myself.

You should all do the same. Make no judgments, have no expectations of any kind, see the film & YOU decide if you enjoy it or not.

If you have fun & a positive experience, that's all that matters. Don't worry about "is it a critically acclaimed - quality piece?" Film critics are jaded snobs - and appreciate far too much that is boring, as well as hate far too much that IS good.

"...I can write songs that entertain or please the critics & starve..." >:oP
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - New Plot Details Revealed (Spoilers) (1535032)
Posted by RhA on December 13th, 2013 @ 1:56pm CST
TurboMMaster wrote:Just as I thought, another movie centered mostly on human characters...
Also, this is gonna be a really boring

This is going to be the foutrh movie. My guess is that you are familiar with the gist of a Bay movie. You will not be surprised in any way by this one. Why do you even bother to comment in these threads? It doesn't seem like you're doing yourself any favors by posting here.

Ending Soon On eBay

HASBRO TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS COMBINER WARS VOYAGER CLASS HOT SPOT FIGURE - Time Remaining: 2 days 16 hours 16 minutes 53 seconds
2007 Hasbro Transformers:Movie  Automorph Technology Blackout AFA 90/85/90 WOW!! - Time Remaining: 1 day 13 hours 33 minutes 48 seconds
Megatron Transformers Gen 1 Wall Art by Plart in 3-dimension image - Time Remaining: 2 days 15 hours 49 minutes 27 seconds
HASBRO TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS COMBINER WARS VOYAGER CLASS CYCLONUS FIGURE - Time Remaining: 2 days 19 hours 5 minutes 44 seconds
Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Motormaster  NIB!!! - Time Remaining: 10 days 8 hours 6 minutes 31 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Classics Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp RARE Target Exclusive MISB - Time Remaining: 2 days 12 hours 7 minutes 45 seconds
Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Optimus Prime NIB!!! - Time Remaining: 10 days 14 hours 13 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers G1 1985 SKIDS hasbro takara - Time Remaining: 1 day 23 hours 11 minutes 11 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #148 - And Rom The Space Knight
"And Rom The Space Knight"
Posted: Monday, June 27th, 2016