Transformers News: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl

Friday, May 9th, 2014 7:33AM CDT

Categories: Movie News, Media
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 33,139

Brazilian Facebook fan page Transformers Dioramas have posted images of two promotional packages, showing off two more dinobots from Transformers: Age of Extinction. We have already seen the likes of Grimlock, Slug, Scorn, Slash and Strafe (some standing in for others or just new additions to the roster) - but we now have a look for what looks like Sludge and Snarl! The former, which we hear may be called Slog, takes up the Apatosaurus alt-mode, while Snarl looks like a spiky ankylosaurus with stegosaurus ancestry. Check them out below!

Credit(s): Transformers Diorama
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572490)
Posted by shockblast2 on May 9th, 2014 @ 7:52am CDT
Sludge was actually my favorite dinobot because I used to love Brontosaurus's. I know, I know Apato whatever. Brachio whatever. To me, dinos like him will always be brontosaurus's. So, even though I thought I would not be buying any AOE toys, I just might have to pick it up if they make on of him.

Besides, these are the only two, besides Slag, that do not look like dragons instead of dinosaurs.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572494)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 9th, 2014 @ 8:08am CDT
Snarl looks more like a Kentrosaurus with his spikes arranged the way they are.

And due to his own spikes, Slog might be a stylized variation of an Amargasaurus or Ampelosaurus.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572499)
Posted by Va'al on May 9th, 2014 @ 8:14am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Snarl looks more like a Kentrosaurus with his spikes arranged the way they are.

They all look finosaurs to me. Maybe I'll visit them, and they'll say "We're glad you came-n-saurus".
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572501)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 9th, 2014 @ 8:15am CDT
Va'al wrote:They all look finosaurs to me.
Yeah, I guess they do look pretty fine. :P
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572504)
Posted by Spleenzorio on May 9th, 2014 @ 8:20am CDT
It will interesting to hear why they chose Slog over Sludge. Also I wonder if these two will be in the movie or just in the video game?
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572514)
Posted by lupinesithlord on May 9th, 2014 @ 9:05am CDT
Hey Spleenzorio,

As to why did they change the names there is a simple answer....Michael Bay. He has messed with names at every opportunity in the franchise. I was so looking forward to a non-Bay Transformers film.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572516)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 9th, 2014 @ 9:11am CDT
lupinesithlord wrote:Hey Spleenzorio,

Erm, Hasbro's the one who has all the names, here. They made the call on "Slag to Slug" back in Fall of Cybertron, as well as "Swoop to Strafe" here because they felt the two-headedness was too different from the typical Swoop look for him to be Swoop. "Sludge to Slog" is probably another one of these cases.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572531)
Posted by Twitchythe3rd on May 9th, 2014 @ 9:45am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
lupinesithlord wrote:Hey Spleenzorio,

Or "Slog" was easier to copyright than "Sludge".
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572533)
Posted by Noideaforaname on May 9th, 2014 @ 9:48am CDT

Wonder why they went with "Slog"? It's even more similar to "Slug" than "Sludge" was.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572545)
Posted by shockblast2 on May 9th, 2014 @ 10:06am CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:More Dinobots is always a good thing. Hope these two actually get toys (I'm assuming Snarl's would be green, given the Kre-O, dunno about Slog. Yellow, maybe? They already got most of the other colors, I think).

They need to be the colors they are in the photos. A yellow version of this design would kill my interest for sure.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572547)
Posted by Va'al on May 9th, 2014 @ 10:09am CDT
shockblast2 wrote:

Yellow would be brilliant! Purple Slug, green Snarl, orange-brown-grey Grimlock, red Scorn, blue Strafe. Yellow is indeed missing. :D
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572557)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on May 9th, 2014 @ 10:26am CDT
Yes ;) I look forward to more Dinobots, even if they're not in the movie. I kind of like toys that aren't in the fiction as the comics or even personal canon can take more liberty in their characterization.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572566)
Posted by #Sideways# on May 9th, 2014 @ 10:49am CDT

I agree on Snarl looking like a Kentrosaurous. But that depends on his size compared to the other Dinobots -- the Kentrosaur was always the smaller of the "stego" types. One thing that would have been awesome is that if they made, instead of Scorn with a Spinosaur, they could have done an Ankylosaur, and give him a morning star as a weapon. That would have been epic.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572597)
Posted by Mkall on May 9th, 2014 @ 12:35pm CDT
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572599)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 9th, 2014 @ 12:43pm CDT
Mkall wrote:It's a shame that Sludge/Slog is probably only going to be deluxe-sized. I would've liked him bigger.
The giant list from Hasbro customer service system from way back that revealed a lot of these toys ahead of time had a "Slog" listed under the Voyager assortment.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572600)
Posted by Va'al on May 9th, 2014 @ 12:45pm CDT

Wasn't there a Voyager-sized rumour..? :-?

Can't seem to find it now.. AHA!

[quote]TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER ADRIAN A7947
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER AUTOBOT DRIFT A8118
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER AUTOBOT HOUND A7946
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER DUKE A7946
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER GALVATRON A7947
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER GRIMLOCK A6515
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER IVAN A6515
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER OPTIMUS PRIME A6514
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER SLOG A8117 [/quote]

From: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ate/28707/
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572620)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on May 9th, 2014 @ 1:54pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Well that's good at least.

I'd prefer to see these designs in a more natural, static pose instead of the "dog playing fetch" sprint they have them in.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572627)
Posted by BERSEKAEL on May 9th, 2014 @ 2:17pm CDT
I remember some one from hasbro telling "if you like dinosaurs you will love this"... I think was sarcasm.
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572631)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on May 9th, 2014 @ 2:35pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
Wasn't there a Voyager-sized rumour..? :-?

Can't seem to find it now.. AHA!

[quote]TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER ADRIAN A7947
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER AUTOBOT DRIFT A8118
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER AUTOBOT HOUND A7946
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER DUKE A7946
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER GALVATRON A7947
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER GRIMLOCK A6515
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER IVAN A6515
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER OPTIMUS PRIME A6514
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER SLOG A8117

From: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ate/28707/[/quote]
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Potential First Look at Sludge (Slog) and Snarl (1572641)
Posted by Zeek99g on May 9th, 2014 @ 3:24pm CDT
OptimalOptimus2 wrote:Yes. Slog an old Transformer name that has only been used in G1. I know that these Dinobots aren't going to be in the movie, even though they look as tough as nails. :-P
Va'al wrote:
Wasn't there a Voyager-sized rumour..? :-?

Can't seem to find it now.. AHA!

[quote]TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER ADRIAN A7947
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER AUTOBOT DRIFT A8118
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER AUTOBOT HOUND A7946
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER DUKE A7946
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER GALVATRON A7947
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER GRIMLOCK A6515
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER IVAN A6515
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER OPTIMUS PRIME A6514
TRA MV4 GEN VOYAGER SLOG A8117

From: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ate/28707/

Some people have wondered if there were going to be any characters that'll sell as toys that weren't in the movie. This answers their question. Good job for bringing that up! ;)^[/quote]

Who are Duke, Adrian, and Ivan? :-?

I looked at the list and it seems that Toy Fair was only the first and second wave. Maybe the next waves will be revealed at Bot Con? Well, there is obviously more to come.

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #136 - The Gathering