Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Transformers News: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Friday, December 9th, 2011 11:16PM CST

Category: Movie News
Posted by: Mach   Views: 41,421

According to IGN, Transformers Dark Of The Moon has been shortlisted to run for the Oscar's Best Visual Effect award for this year.

DOTM is among the total 15 films that have been selected. Check out the full list below:

"Captain America: The First Avenger"
"Cowboys & Aliens"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2"
"Hugo"
"Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"
"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides"
"Real Steel"
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows"
"Sucker Punch"
"Super 8"
"Thor"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
"The Tree of Life"
"X-Men: First Class"

You can read the full article here.

Seibertron, Ultimate Transformers Resource!
Credit(s): IGN

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321434)
Posted by BeastProwl on December 10th, 2011 @ 12:02am CST
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321441)
Posted by dinogeist on December 10th, 2011 @ 12:14am CST
BeastProwl wrote:you watch it in HD BLU-RAY 3D, you'll see why it won, even without 3D or HD DOTM Was (and still is) Jaw-Droppingly realistic

it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

Personally I think Dotm deserves to win the oscar for "achievement in visual effects."

However I don't think dotm is gonna win this "visual Effects" oscar. BECAUSE People voting have to actually think the visual effects COMPLIMENTED a great story plots filled with a talented team of actors,with decent spoken dialogue words. needless to say,the dialoge spokem in the Three TF movies are horrible,cheesy,outdated & lame-o. their are no decent stories in the Three TF movies that keep viewers entertained & challenges their minds. all the top rated actors in the three TF movies got small parts,while all the horrible or amatuer actors got huge starring roles.

Personally i'm sick & tired of micheal bay & shia le bouf. I want the Dotm movie to LOSE this oscar in visual effects to embrass micheal bay.

I don't want micheal bay to win this oscar because this will encourage the man to do a TF 4 movie. I'm looking for this nightmare roller coaster ride to end. I want a reboot,with a talented director & a starring cast not from any previous nickoladeaon TV series.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321443)
Posted by Burn on December 10th, 2011 @ 12:19am CST
I'd give it to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Those Apes were bloody amazing. Should be nominated for best actor!
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321446)
Posted by YRQRM0 on December 10th, 2011 @ 12:26am CST
Yeah, probably gonna go to Planet of the Apes. But I feel like the scope of the effects for DOTM was just incredible, every Chicago shot had digital city damage in the background, you just can't beat the stuff they did.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321459)
Posted by Mechastrike on December 10th, 2011 @ 1:33am CST
.... yey? :???:
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321528)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on December 10th, 2011 @ 7:33am CST
Finally! I might be a little biased, being a fan of the TFers, but I always felt that each movie should have gotten some kind of award for it's special effects, the first movie got nominated, but it didn't win anything, and ROTF wasn't even nominated! Like, I can't imagine how much work goes into the models, there's so much stuff.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321546)
Posted by SlyTF1 on December 10th, 2011 @ 8:25am CST
DOTM had better win. But those dumbass monkeys will probably win.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321548)
Posted by SlyTF1 on December 10th, 2011 @ 8:30am CST
Tidalwavex wrote:

it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

Then take your ass on somewhere else and go watch your boring ass movies with "plots". Nobody wants to hear that bs, it's a category for visual effects, not that crap you're talking about. Damn, it's too early in the morning for this crap. >:oP
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321559)
Posted by dinogeist on December 10th, 2011 @ 9:53am CST
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tidalwavex wrote:

it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

SLYFY1,I didn't insult you nor bully around your opinion. please show me the same polite repect i've shown you.

At the end of the day,the decision of who wins these Academy awards are up the people selected who vote for them. You can't expect movies to win any category if the oscar voters loate & hate them.

No one or thing is entitled to win these oscars. very few get handed out each year. those who win these oscars earn them. their not handed them to please the masses.

their wasn't enough screen time thus not enough dialogue words for the CGI robots because micheal had shia/sam & his crew of humans steal all the screen time & all the dialogue words. having CGI robots barely squueze out a few words is just horrible. VIEWERS PAID TO SEE THE CGI Robots NOT Chapters in sam's/shia's life.

Like I said in a previous reply. viewers want to see CGI compliment a well written story,with decent spoken dialogue words & a talented crew of actors/actoresses.

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321567)
Posted by BluePhirePB on December 10th, 2011 @ 10:15am CST
Not to be a Negative Nancy but I doubt DOTM will win. They'll probably give it to Hugo because it's artsy. Honestly, TF1 should have beat out The Golden Compass in 2008.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321570)
Posted by amtm on December 10th, 2011 @ 10:17am CST
I haven't seen all of these movies, but frankly, of the ones I've seen, none of them had anything in it that I'd consider an "achievement". It's all been more of the same old computer graphics bashing and zipping and exploding. Big deal.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321576)
Posted by SlyTF1 on December 10th, 2011 @ 10:36am CST
Tidalwavex wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tidalwavex wrote:

it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

Well I'm sorry. It was early in the morning and I was pissed off already so...

[quote]That's a rather horrible excuse... Their are plenty of CGI movies out their with great well written story plots. decent spoken dialogue words & a talented crew of actors/actresses.

CGI & Visual effects mean zero if their their placed in what the majority think are awful movies. CGI & Visual effects need to have a soul & viewers need to connect with them.[/quote]

Those movies bore me. And I did connect with the characters in ROTF and DOTM. Not so much the first movie though...

[quote]Micheal bay doesn't know how to use CGI nor visual effects properly. micheal bay uses CGI as a bully weapon. he throws these huge CGI robots in viewers faces & all the CGI models do is bully their way down the street,stomping & ripping stuff apart. [/quote]

That's the awesome part. And I'm pretty sure the TFs showed emotion throuought the movie.

[quote]Advatar is another perfect example of the CGI designs taking up the majority of the screen time & spoken dialogue words.[/quote]

Avatar didn't bore me, but I hated it the second time I saw it.

[quote]Titanic is a perfect example of CGI & Visual effects used for a well written story. with a crew of talented actors/actresses[/quote]

Again, another movie that bored the p!$$ out of me...
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321609)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 10th, 2011 @ 12:55pm CST
Wow, there are way too many nominees. There should only be 5. And DotM should win. But, if any other flick takes it, I also think it will be Planet of the Apes.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321640)
Posted by Burn on December 10th, 2011 @ 3:09pm CST
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tidalwavex wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:Then take your ass on somewhere else and go watch your boring ass movies with "plots". Nobody wants to hear that bs, it's a category for visual effects, not that crap you're talking about. Damn. >:oP

Well I'm sorry. It was early in the morning and I was pissed off already so...

Time and again Sly I have asked you to watch your language, i'm sick and tired of the excuses. You're old enough to know better. Grow up and start showing some respect.

[quote][quote]Planet of the apes is a awesome example of CGI & Visual effects used properly. the CGI apes had persona & they felt like real things. viewers looking at the CGI apes climbed into their heads & related to all their emotion,rage & dark persona's. they did a excellent job using the CGI to capture the emotion in the apes faces & body movements.[/quote]

That movie bored me. They're just damn monkeys. You can go to the zoo and see them for real. Why the hell would I want to see a CG version of something I can see in real life?[/quote]

Really? You can see hyper-intelligent apes at a zoo? Apes that can talk? Wow, tell me where this zoo is because i'd love to see them too!

Seriously, have you considered a career as a movie critic? Because you clearly don't take the time to really watch a movie before criticising it.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321643)
Posted by OlivusPrime on December 10th, 2011 @ 3:20pm CST
Out of all of them, DOTM probably deserves it the most, not just for the realism involved, but also for the effort put into all three films (ILM made two of their biggest, most detailed models for these movies).

Unfortunately though, I have a feeling that Hugo will get it, because of its high critical acclaim. I hope RotPotA doesn't get it, to be honest - I never thought that those apes were particularly realistic (despite everyone else's opinions of them), and it would be like The Golden Compass again if it won.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321703)
Posted by cotss2012 on December 10th, 2011 @ 5:51pm CST

Of the movies that I've seen, I'd go with X-Men.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321742)
Posted by Evil_the_Nub on December 10th, 2011 @ 6:52pm CST
cotss2012 wrote:The apes looked totally perfect in scenes where they weren't moving much. Unfortunately, during the high-motion scenes, I think the CGI people added a bit too much motion blur, and the effect became a bit cartoony. DotM didn't have that problem... it had a different one. Namely, the robots are made of too many tiny indistinguishable parts with the same rusted-over dark gray texture, so you can't really see what's what.

Of the movies that I've seen, I'd go with X-Men.

You might want to see an optometrist. I have great vision and nothing looked indistinguishable and the only one that looked rusted over was Megatron.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321764)
Posted by cotss2012 on December 10th, 2011 @ 7:17pm CST
This is what I'm talking about:

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321807)
Posted by Kiyza on December 10th, 2011 @ 8:59pm CST

And you know what? It's probably going to lose out to a movie that garners more critical respect, like the aforementioned Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Why? Because people in charge of these awards are biased. They can't look at a film specifically for one thing and one thing only.

It's hard to argue that the first Transformers film didn't look fantastic in terms of visual effects, and a lot of work was spent on the special effects, certainly more than The Golden Compass that it lost to. But the reason that that film won is, of course, because it has more "class" than a movie with giant robots beating the crap out of each other and gratuitous amounts of explosions. You know, despite the fact that according to Rotten Tomatoes, Transformers received a fair bit more critical and audience praise.

If you asked some person on the street which they thought looked more amazing between these films, I'd wager they'd say Transformers. If Transformers was a well received drama film with giant robots in the in the mix, the critics Transformers might have a chance of winning. But keep in mind, these are snooty pricks who can't appreciate good special effects if they're in a film that doesn't cater to their tastes.
Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects (1321837)
Posted by Evil_the_Nub on December 10th, 2011 @ 10:15pm CST
cotss2012 wrote:This is what I'm talking about:

That's Ironhide's face, and I believe that's mid transformation. I still don't see the problem.
Kiyza wrote:You know, if there's any one award that this film deserves, it's in the visual effects department. Even if critics don't consider it up to par with a number of other films in terms of plot, drama, characterization, etc., it's hard to argue that the special effects aren't absolutely amazing.

That's why I hate the academy awards, it's just a way for these guys to stroke their own egos.

Ending Soon On eBay

DW 2002 TRANSFORMERS ARMADA #1 OPTIMUS PRIME LOT OF 25(C1) - Time Remaining: 11 days 7 hours 46 minutes 28 seconds
BADCUBE OTS-02 BRAWNY Transformers Masterpiece Brawn MP G1 3rd Party - Time Remaining: 3 days 22 hours 46 minutes 26 seconds
TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION HOT SHOT AND DINOBOT SLASH - Time Remaining: 5 days 6 hours 35 minutes 6 seconds
2002Transformers G1 Commemorative Serie IV Reissue Skywarp Action Figure MISB - Time Remaining: 3 days 6 hours 5 minutes 39 seconds
SDCC Exclusive Transformers Optimus Prime First Edition 2011 MISB - Time Remaining: 3 days 8 hours 7 minutes 40 seconds
Transformers G1 Omnibot Red Overdrive Car 1984 Mail Away Autobot W/O ascessories - Time Remaining: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes 49 seconds
Transformers G1 Shrapnel 1984 TAKARA JAPAN ORIGINAL Hasbro Action Figure - Time Remaining: 3 days 23 hours 52 minutes 55 seconds
Transformers G1 Swoop 99% Complete 1985 Vintage Hasbro Pteranodon Dinobot - Time Remaining: 3 days 22 hours 52 minutes 52 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016