Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review

Transformers News: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review

Friday, September 7th, 2012 10:08AM CDT

Categories: Game News, Reviews, Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 41,112

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Seibertron.com member baltmatrix has posted a video review of the mass retail version of the Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons. This set of Onslaught, Vortex, Blast Off, Swindle, and Brawl features a much brighter deco than the previously released SDCC 2012 exclusive box set. Check out his review embedded below.

This review takes a look at the Onslaught, Brawl, Swindle, Blast Off and Vortex figures from the Fall of Cybertron TF Generations toy line. Please note that I did not include any of the fan modes or changes. That will be a separate video.

Credit(s): baltmatrix
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417785)
Posted by 5150 Cruiser on September 7th, 2012 @ 10:31am CDT
The colors are just terrible. So are there two versions of FOC Bruticus? One with the game colors and this version? I could have sworn seeing one more like the game version.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417787)
Posted by BeastProwl on September 7th, 2012 @ 10:33am CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:The colors are just terrible. So are there two versions of FOC Bruticus? One with the game colors and this version? I could have sworn seeing one more like the game version.


Game Version was a convention exclusive.

This is the retail version.

Amazon has the G2 version on pre-order.

There is also a Wreckers Repaint/retool of this coming out.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417797)
Posted by NemesisMonkeySupreme on September 7th, 2012 @ 11:01am CDT
Wow. It actually looks better with Swindle and Blast-Off switched. Go figure… :-?

Does anyone know of a pictorial review of all the mods and fan modes. I just can't bear to watch toy reviews on video. no offense, but I haven't watched this one either and don't plan to, just basing my original commet about Swindle & Blast-Off on sample pic in post.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417798)
Posted by Ravage XK on September 7th, 2012 @ 11:03am CDT
Hideous, whoever at Hasbro decided that the game colour version would be a limited exclusive needs their head seen to. The whole point of this line is that its to tie in with the game.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417801)
Posted by baltmatrix on September 7th, 2012 @ 11:14am CDT
NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:Wow. It actually looks better with Swindle and Blast-Off switched. Go figure… :-?

Does anyone know of a pictorial review of all the mods and fan modes. I just can't bear to watch toy reviews on video. no offense, but I haven't watched this one either and don't plan to, just basing my original commet about Swindle & Blast-Off on sample pic in post.


I have a bunch of pics of all the different modes but no fan modes yet. Give me a little bit to get then uploaded.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417802)
Posted by Trikeboy on September 7th, 2012 @ 11:21am CDT
terrible colors and a ugly combined mode. The mixed limbs does look better but it is still ugly. Sorry Hasbro but if you really want to give your customers a reason not to buy third party products, this is not how you make a combiner. The Energon combiner with Fansproject add on's will not be replaced by this.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417803)
Posted by NemesisMonkeySupreme on September 7th, 2012 @ 11:22am CDT
baltmatrix wrote:
NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:Wow. It actually looks better with Swindle and Blast-Off switched. Go figure… :-?

Does anyone know of a pictorial review of all the mods and fan modes. I just can't bear to watch toy reviews on video. no offense, but I haven't watched this one either and don't plan to, just basing my original commet about Swindle & Blast-Off on sample pic in post.


I have a bunch of pics of all the different modes but no fan modes yet. Give me a little bit to get then uploaded.

Coolio. Glad to hear. I'll look forward to them. :D
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417805)
Posted by NemesisMonkeySupreme on September 7th, 2012 @ 11:24am CDT
Trikeboy wrote:terrible colors and a ugly combined mode. The mixed limbs does look better but it is still ugly. Sorry Hasbro but if you really want to give your customers a reason not to buy third party products, this is not how you make a combiner. The Energon combiner with Fansproject add on's will not be replaced by this.

Not only that, but could they pick a slaggin' standard for connexion ports?! :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417817)
Posted by kirbenvost on September 7th, 2012 @ 12:21pm CDT
Blast Off looks amazing, Vortex surprisingly good.

Swindle... not bad, but they really should have painted his face.

Vortex needs a 'Con symbol on his chest too, for that matter. And they all need more detail on the wheels. -_-

Brawl definitely looks great, too bad about the stability.

Onslaught... just kinda sad. He really needed to be a voyager. He's way too scrawny in bot mode, the vehicle mode is a joke, and the fact that he can't move his legs forward is unforgivable.

But overall, good enough for me. It looks pretty good combined and they all look decent or amazing in robot mode, so it's an overall win. The combiner joints look really stable, too, which is great. Looking forward to getting this case!
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417823)
Posted by PrymeStriker on September 7th, 2012 @ 12:25pm CDT
Onslaught's the only accurate color.

Image

Image
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417831)
Posted by NemesisMonkeySupreme on September 7th, 2012 @ 12:40pm CDT
kirbenvost wrote:Swindle... not bad, but they really should have painted his face.

I'm surprised there's no plan (or maybe there is) to retool Swindle as Hot Rod(imus). The arms pipes, the transformation; just add the V-fin a new head, some paint and you're good to go (tho I don't understand why the engine pipes face inward instead of outward). Bonus points: add Brawl's weapon to Swindle's to be very reminscient of Rodimus Prime's weapon and you've got the touch :P
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417840)
Posted by Rhinox23 on September 7th, 2012 @ 1:01pm CDT
First of all, great review! :BOWDOWN:

However, it looks like the figure suffers from the same problems overall. I still plan on getting Bruty, but only the cheapest version, i.e. G2. Some of these colors don't work for me, yet I do like Onslaught's color scheme more than the SDCC version.

Hopefully these sell well enough in retail for Hasbro to give the combiners another go with better sizing, better tabs and improved engineering.

Bottom line though, I really do feel that a lot of the problems/complaints could be solved if Onslaught was Voyager size.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417864)
Posted by gothsaurus on September 7th, 2012 @ 2:17pm CDT
I agree. My biggest gripe with the set is that Swindle is a head taller than everyone. The line REALLY badly needs a Voyager size...

Prime
Onslaught
Shockwave
Megatron

If they pulled out a Voyager Onslaught that combined with the set, that would fix the arm length issue, plus the individual figure size problems. >:oP
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417912)
Posted by XDMan on September 7th, 2012 @ 4:39pm CDT
What do they mean, "brighter deco"? It's much more different. :???:
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417916)
Posted by PrymeStriker on September 7th, 2012 @ 4:44pm CDT
XDMan wrote:What do they mean, "brighter deco"? It's much more different. :???:


Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417927)
Posted by Flux Convoy on September 7th, 2012 @ 5:04pm CDT
If you display the Combaticons in their separate robot modes, you need that Onslaught for accuracy. Oddly enough, you'd still use the SDCC Onslaught for combined mode. Apparently Onslaught has a color shift ability that we never knew about.
:BOT:
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417929)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on September 7th, 2012 @ 5:12pm CDT
PrymeStriker wrote:Onslaught's the only accurate color.

Image

Image


Actually that's from the "Cyber Monday" preview pics, he's got a darker color scheme in the final game.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417930)
Posted by PrymeStriker on September 7th, 2012 @ 5:14pm CDT
Flux Convoy wrote:If you display the Combaticons in their separate robot modes, you need that Onslaught for accuracy. Oddly enough, you'd still use the SDCC Onslaught for combined mode. Apparently Onslaught has a color shift ability that we never knew about.
:BOT:


Really? Aside from the head, the torso looks pretty accurate to the retail Onslaught to me.

Image

But of course, it looks a little different when it has his skittle-color buddies attached to him. All he needs a little bit of a darker deco. Nothing I can't fix. The head needs is a little purple on the sides where it's green here.

Image
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417940)
Posted by germismith on September 7th, 2012 @ 6:06pm CDT
I don't normally like to be the Negative Nancy, but here goes:

Everyone's complaining about the colors. Hasbro can paint 'em any color they like, but at least give me a decent mold! The entire FOC line is pretty disappointing in that department, so far. Onslaught is clearly the worst of these, but Swindle doesn't even have a back. haha. They all look and feel like bad KOs, to be honest. Just horrible.

Best moment of the video: reviewer says he likes Brawl overall, but the robot mode is terrible. So what does that leave you? haha
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417944)
Posted by KNM2012 on September 7th, 2012 @ 6:17pm CDT
All I can say is that I also have no interest in this piece, much less the series. Series-wise, the changes shown in the demo did not bode so well for me despite it having a great story. And the figure... All I will say is that if I wanted a combiner that was reproduced by Hasbro, I would easily choose Piranacon over this piece. However, I am completely fine with my Predaking. >:oP

However, those who have some level of fandom towards this combiner should overlook the colors. Chances are that the bigger fans will have purchased the SDCC variant and will obtain this one as well. And there is no evidence that Takara Tomy will reproduce the SDCC version at all (even though they are going to be working on the current Generations line).

So all I can say is that if you are collecting the line, and/or a fan of the character... Buy it. He may not be the most ideal version, but he is one that does deserve a chance to be part of a collection. That is, if not have a chance to prove its worth in the long run. Even if I, myself, am not buying it. I already have Predaking, and have a long list of other pieces that I hope to obtain. But in the end, I hope to see him in more than one collection shown by the members here. 8)
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1417945)
Posted by fonziechavez on September 7th, 2012 @ 6:18pm CDT
The colors are very bright. If they were made with colors close to the Original G1 designs or maybe have the colors "flat" then this will work. I'll still get them. I like the overall look. :CON:
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418010)
Posted by quickmixed on September 7th, 2012 @ 9:29pm CDT
Nice review. Something so simple as making the connector ports black makes this marginally more appealing. but they kept Swindles purple?
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418080)
Posted by rpetras on September 8th, 2012 @ 12:19am CDT
Good review of a total hot mess.

Each time I look at this POS I just can't help but face palm.
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418324)
Posted by amtm on September 8th, 2012 @ 7:10pm CDT
What were Hasbro's people smoking whem they came up with this paint scheme?
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418327)
Posted by BeastProwl on September 8th, 2012 @ 7:20pm CDT
Is it just me, or does he think that every mode of each of these figurs "Really really works" and the colors are off, but he "really really likes them!" :lol:

Good review though. I hope that not all of the Brawl figures have those flimsy legs though :-(
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418411)
Posted by Roaddbuster on September 9th, 2012 @ 4:22am CDT
:BANG_HEAD: IS THIS GUY COMING TO JAPAN???? I HOPE IT DOES!!!
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418412)
Posted by KNM2012 on September 9th, 2012 @ 4:36am CDT
Roaddbuster wrote::BANG_HEAD: IS THIS GUY COMING TO JAPAN???? I HOPE IT DOES!!!


Takara Tomy is bringing the first wave (currently sans Shockwave) of the 2012 Generations line. This means that unless they have different plans for this line, much like they had when they invented UNITED, we should be hearing something about this set between the end of 2012 and beginning of 2013. >:oP
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418760)
Posted by PhelesDragon on September 10th, 2012 @ 5:07pm CDT
I'm so disappointed that he's only being released in stores in those stupid bright colors. Why is the game-accurate one the exclusive???? That makes no sense!!!!!!!!
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418788)
Posted by KNM2012 on September 10th, 2012 @ 7:15pm CDT
PhelesDragon wrote:I'm so disappointed that he's only being released in stores in those stupid bright colors. Why is the game-accurate one the exclusive???? That makes no sense!!!!!!!!

It does make sense. You just need to drop the rage just to consider the reasons. >:oP

This set was made for those who like playing with their toys, not just those who want to just collect these sets. That is why they sold a complete set at SDCC, and is doing a Generation 2 variant as an online exclusive. Those were aimed at collectors. But these... There is that reason why they are sold individually, not series accurate, and will be owned by young boys who still play with Transformers. >:oP
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418809)
Posted by PhelesDragon on September 10th, 2012 @ 8:53pm CDT
Fair, but what about those who couldn't make it to SDCC and can't afford to spend $200+ on a game accurate one? You'd be hard-pressed to say that Hasbro couldn't sell repaints of their popular figures and appeal to young kids and avid collectors.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
PhelesDragon wrote:I'm so disappointed that he's only being released in stores in those stupid bright colors. Why is the game-accurate one the exclusive???? That makes no sense!!!!!!!!

It does make sense. You just need to drop the rage just to consider the reasons. >:oP

This set was made for those who like playing with their toys, not just those who want to just collect these sets. That is why they sold a complete set at SDCC, and is doing a Generation 2 variant as an online exclusive. Those were aimed at collectors. But these... There is that reason why they are sold individually, not series accurate, and will be owned by young boys who still play with Transformers. >:oP
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418840)
Posted by KNM2012 on September 10th, 2012 @ 10:50pm CDT
PhelesDragon wrote:Fair, but what about those who couldn't make it to SDCC and can't afford to spend $200+ on a game accurate one? You'd be hard-pressed to say that Hasbro couldn't sell repaints of their popular figures and appeal to young kids and avid collectors.


Let me tell you a true story about my collection, as it ties to this: Around the end of November of last year, I decided that I was going to drop any thoughts of collecting comics (as that was an on-off past time for me) and start collecting Transformers. I ordered my very first Transformer on December 7th, and it was the "Gentei! Gentei! Transformers" Dark Skyfire. My plan was to obtain this, get it graded by AFA, and try to obtain its Henkei! counterpart.

Nine months later, I still do not have that piece in my collection. And because of both his scarcity and price on the open-market, I had to drop all plans to obtain any Masterpiece pieces I wanted... Drop any initial ideas of buying anything that is not a reissue piece... And other things. All for an item that was around $50 new, and is now around $200 because Takara Tomy has currently chosen to not reissue this piece (much like they did with Hot Rodimus, which they did not entirely explain why).

Point being is that people who get into the idea of collecting need to accept the fact that they will not be catered to during the time they stick with their collection of choice. Companies like Hasbro cater to the target age group because that is where they make their money in the end. And Takara Tomy does the same while collaborating with others that want to make exclusives that not every collector and/or fan will be able to get in the end. That is why collecting is a business in its own way, and why collectors need to be prepared to only purchase what they want when it is offered to them.

And if it did... Primus! I would have a collection consisting of reissues that include the manga exclusive Targetmasters, all of the 1987 Headmasters, the Dinobots, all Cybertron "Scramble City"-style combiners, Sixshot (and not the Asian market reissue), Metalhawk, Grand Maximus, Star Saber, and Victory Saber. That is, if both Hasbro and Takara Tomy were to cater to the same fans who wanted the SDCC Bruticus reissued for their collection-based needs. ;) But until then... I have to aim for the pieces I need, and sacrifice any others that do not fit into my plan. :BOOM:
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418846)
Posted by PhelesDragon on September 10th, 2012 @ 11:09pm CDT
Wow, story time, totally makes me want to read all of that and agree with you. While I did take time to skim it, I can't find a good reason not to share my discontent with a choice by the company(being that I'm a paying customer, and feedback helps lubricate change). I'm not sitting here cutting myself because store-edition Bruticus has a lousy color scheme, but I'll be damned if I won't express my dislike of it in the hope that something might change.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
PhelesDragon wrote:Fair, but what about those who couldn't make it to SDCC and can't afford to spend $200+ on a game accurate one? You'd be hard-pressed to say that Hasbro couldn't sell repaints of their popular figures and appeal to young kids and avid collectors.


Let me tell you a true story about my collection, as it ties to this: Around the end of November of last year, I decided that I was going to drop any thoughts of collecting comics (as that was an on-off past time for me) and start collecting Transformers. I ordered my very first Transformer on December 7th, and it was the "Gentei! Gentei! Transformers" Dark Skyfire. My plan was to obtain this, get it graded by AFA, and try to obtain its Henkei! counterpart.

Nine months later, I still do not have that piece in my collection. And because of both his scarcity and price on the open-market, I had to drop all plans to obtain any Masterpiece pieces I wanted... Drop any initial ideas of buying anything that is not a reissue piece... And other things. All for an item that was around $50 new, and is now around $200 because Takara Tomy has currently chosen to not reissue this piece (much like they did with Hot Rodimus, which they did not entirely explain why).

Point being is that people who get into the idea of collecting need to accept the fact that they will not be catered to during the time they stick with their collection of choice. Companies like Hasbro cater to the target age group because that is where they make their money in the end. And Takara Tomy does the same while collaborating with others that want to make exclusives that not every collector and/or fan will be able to get in the end. That is why collecting is a business in its own way, and why collectors need to be prepared to only purchase what they want when it is offered to them.

And if it did... Primus! I would have a collection consisting of reissues that include the manga exclusive Targetmasters, all of the 1987 Headmasters, the Dinobots, all Cybertron "Scramble City"-style combiners, Sixshot (and not the Asian market reissue), Metalhawk, Grand Maximus, Star Saber, and Victory Saber. That is, if both Hasbro and Takara Tomy were to cater to the same fans who wanted the SDCC Bruticus reissued for their collection-based needs. ;) But until then... I have to aim for the pieces I need, and sacrifice any others that do not fit into my plan. :BOOM:
Re: Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Retail Combaticons Video Review (1418869)
Posted by KNM2012 on September 11th, 2012 @ 12:54am CDT
PhelesDragon wrote:Wow, story time, totally makes me want to read all of that and agree with you.


Yeah... Thanks. However, the entire point to my "story" is that you need to either plan out how you will obtain what you want... Or move on and hope that you get lucky in the future. Having issues like this will only take away from you enjoying the hobby, and not expanding your collection.

And believe me... It has taken me 20 years (and a lot of other factors) to get to this point. And what you are expressing is one of the factors I faced while jumping from one collection to another. :BOOM:

PhelesDragon wrote:While I did take time to skim it, I can't find a good reason not to share my discontent with a choice by the company(being that I'm a paying customer, and feedback helps lubricate change).


However... In order for them to listen, you need to write them a professional sounding letter that will have them be interested in what you say. And even then, you either need to make up 1% of their annual profits or have enough shares to be heard. Otherwise, you are just another paying customer and not their target customer.

At least that is what the experts have told me and others when it came to this ongoing subject. :-?

PhelesDragon wrote:I'm not sitting here cutting myself because store-edition Bruticus has a lousy color scheme, but I'll be damned if I won't express my dislike of it in the hope that something might change.


Never said you were. However, when it comes to "change"... If you do this every time you are not getting what you want, the change you will see is the one where you quit this hobby and move onto something else you hope will not include this issue.

Hence the point I made when I said that you need to accept the risk of not getting everything you want, and working at getting the pieces that you will enjoy. ;)
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014