Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order

Transformers News: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order

Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 11:43PM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 17,867

Amazon has listed Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 [Hardcover] for pre-order. No cover art has revealed, but the release date is listed as September 2nd with a price of $34.83. Descriptions and product details can be found below.

Update: According to a tweet from James Roberts the Phase 2 Hardcovers will also include Autocracy, Monstrosity, and various Spotlights.

James Roberts wrote:In response to questions: as I understand it, the Phase 2 hardcovers will include Autocracy, Monstrosity, the Spotlights and the prose stuff

Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1

The war for Cybertron is over, but Bumblebee and his fellow Autobots struggle to maintain control of a world without Optimus Prime. The provisional government is struggling and Prowl will defend it against the Decepticons at seeminly all costs. Meanwhile, Hot Rod and a group of Autobots and Decepticons embark on an epic quest to the farthest reaches of the Universe. Collects the one-shot Death of Optimus Prime, More Than Meets The Eye issues #1-5, and Robots in Disguise issues #1-6.

Product Details
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (September 2, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1631400401
ISBN-13: 978-1631400407
Credit(s): Amazon, James Roberts
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559430)
Posted by Go-Faster-Wings on March 23rd, 2014 @ 3:28am CDT
This is full of win. Cannot wait!!
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559435)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 23rd, 2014 @ 4:42am CDT
About darn time!

Though, what of all the other things to come out of this era besides MTMTE and RID? Like, how will these compile Autocracy, Monstrosity, Primacy, and the Dark Prelude spotlights when those all take place at differing points in the timeline?
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559447)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on March 23rd, 2014 @ 9:43am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:About darn time!

Well, the other IDW Collections haven't exactly been exemplars of putting things in order. But O imagine that if they were to do so, they would put the Dark Preludes together with Dark Cybertron as well the Road To Dark Cybertron stories. That would be a sizeable read; 4 spotlights, 12 chapters and...was it 5 "Road To" stories?
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559496)
Posted by Climhazzard on March 23rd, 2014 @ 2:52pm CDT

I'm not really sure what is considered "canon" if anything with all these comic release or if it roughly equivalent of extended universe (non-canon) or just fan fiction. Is IDW the only one who releases collections of this sort? What makes one publisher's line of comics different from another in this series?
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559566)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 23rd, 2014 @ 6:58pm CDT
The great and powerful Roberts has Tweeted - https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/447877880161533952

Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559580)
Posted by Nerv103 on March 23rd, 2014 @ 8:23pm CDT
Preordered it as soon as I finished reading about it. Love these collections!! :D :D :D
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559593)
Posted by Stormrider on March 23rd, 2014 @ 9:19pm CDT
I am very happy to hear this news. Been waiting a long time. I just started reading paper trade back MTMTE vol.1 Even though I am hooked on the series already, I am glad I held off buying the rest of the trade backs so I can buy this instead.

Does this Hardcover series signify the end of MTMTE?

Has anyone noticed the preorder for this is $5 more than Vol 1 - 8?
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559600)
Posted by Vicalliose on March 23rd, 2014 @ 10:03pm CDT
Climhazzard wrote:Hey guys first post here, long time Transformers fan. I've actually been wanting to get into the comic books, but it seems like there are just so many to track down. I actually prefer getting comic runs in the collection releases, and was wondering if the Transformers: The IDW Collection Volume 1 - 8 are a good place to start.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Maybe I'm just not reading it correctly.

The IDW universe continuity is only relevant to itself and nothing else. If you're talking other publishers, IDW has the rights to publish ANY existing comic book series, such as those previously owned by Marvel or Dreamwave, but those series have no relevance to the current running series.

Apart from one Transformers/Marvel crossover comic that was randomly placed into one of the collections, everything in the collections is canon to IDW Universe, and the collections so far encompass everything up to the 'split' where the comics were given to two separate writers and turned into More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise.

Also for some reason I can only see your post when I'm looking at the article. When I go to the thread to post, you're not there. Had to manually quote the post. :???:
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559601)
Posted by Nerv103 on March 23rd, 2014 @ 10:05pm CDT
Stormrider wrote:Has anyone noticed the preorder for this is $5 more than Vol 1 - 8?

It is about the same as The Star Date Collection Volume 2 for Star Trek that comes out in April.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559662)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 24th, 2014 @ 9:01am CDT
Nerv103 wrote:

Something similar happened with the 6th volume of the Transformers: Classics TPBs and the upcoming 7th Volume. Volumes 1-5 were $24.99, while volumes 6 and 7 are $29.99. despite their being no bigger than 1-5. I blame the economy.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559663)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 24th, 2014 @ 9:02am CDT
Stormrider wrote:Does this Hardcover series signify the end of MTMTE?
It shouldn't, what with both MTMTE and RID continuing into the new "Dawn of the Autobots" event.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1559705)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on March 24th, 2014 @ 10:14am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Stormrider wrote:Does this Hardcover series signify the end of MTMTE?

Not to mention MTMTE is IDW's most beloved ongoing, and one of the most beloved pieces of TF fiction inna long time, comics-wise.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561022)
Posted by Nerv103 on March 28th, 2014 @ 6:51pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Nerv103 wrote:

Everything keeps going up these days, at least we are not paying cover price. I am just happy that they are continuing to put these out. These books are great and are a great collection to show off on my bookshelf. Now if they would just start issuing the original Marvel run in hardcover like they did with G.I. Joe I would be one happy camper. :CON:
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561879)
Posted by El Duque on April 1st, 2014 @ 4:13pm CDT

Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1

Product Details
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (September 2, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1631400401
ISBN-13: 978-1631400407
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561889)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 1st, 2014 @ 5:09pm CDT
:DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE:
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561908)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 1st, 2014 @ 7:28pm CDT

I mean, the art is good, and I really REALLY like the red - it looks awesome against the black and white.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561929)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 1st, 2014 @ 8:42pm CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Why did they have to use Optimus' head again? Couldn't they have gone with someone they haven't featured before? Ultra Magnus would seem like a good choice.

Ah, but this here is Orion Pax. ;)
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561946)
Posted by T-Macksimus on April 1st, 2014 @ 10:09pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Ah, but this here is Orion Pax. ;)

I can't believe I didn't make the distinction right away. Much easier to tell the difference when he was strapped to the nose of a run-away shuttle. :grin:

Seriously though, it is astounding art and since I'm missing a few back issues along the way this will make the perfect format in which to get some of those caught up as well as any Spotlights I may have missed out on. Besides, I have a few other Transformer books that could use some company upon the shelf and that's as good an excuse as any to pick this one up.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561947)
Posted by Stormrider on April 1st, 2014 @ 10:10pm CDT
El Duque wrote:Amazon has updated their pre-order for Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 [Hardcover] with cover art, which we've mirrored below. The release date is listed as September 2nd with a price of $34.83. Descriptions and product details can be found below.

Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1

Product Details
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (September 2, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1631400401
ISBN-13: 978-1631400407

I hate it. I don't like the styling and they should have put someone other than Prime/Pax or Megatron on the cover. Sad that they are not using main characters from RiD or MTMTE.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561950)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 1st, 2014 @ 10:20pm CDT
They probably went with him because of "The Death of Optimus Prime" issue included in here.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561980)
Posted by Vicalliose on April 2nd, 2014 @ 3:15am CDT
I definitely would have preferred someone else on the cover, really. Eh, it's what's on the inside that counts anyway. Besides, I never see the front of any of the books when they're sitting on my shelf.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1561997)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 2nd, 2014 @ 9:39am CDT
It looks like this art was done by Sarah Stone! :KREMZEEK:

She's posted a larger version of it - http://monsterboysandrobots.com/post/81432300295/this-went-up-on-amazon-so-i-hope-i-can-share

Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1566781)
Posted by Va'al on April 20th, 2014 @ 7:54am CDT
We reported the Amazon listing of the IDW Publishing Transformers: Phase Two Hardcover collection, but we now have news of its antecedent Phase One paperback! Check out the listing here, though still lacking a cover image, and read on below for details on what will be included in this mammoth book, priced at $21.34 (discounted from $29.99 RRP).

Phase One collects the first three arcs of IDW's Transformers continuity, Infiltration, Escalation, and Devastation, written by longtime TF scribe Simon Furman, with art by E.J. Su, Nick Roche, and Robby Musso.

Paperback: 404 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (September 16, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1631401130
ISBN-13: 978-1631401138
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1566791)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 20th, 2014 @ 8:35am CDT
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1566867)
Posted by Darth Jumpy on April 20th, 2014 @ 3:47pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Paperback?! Why didn't they do this with the Phase 1 volumes? That could have said me some money.

I may be misunderstanding something here, but isn't that what this article is about? The Phase 1 collections are now coming out in paperback.

I still think I'll pick up the hardcover versions though. The few volumes I already own are quite nice.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1566872)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 20th, 2014 @ 4:17pm CDT
Darth Jumpy wrote:

I mean, for the paperbacks of the hardcovers that originally came out. Thuis one contains only Infiltration, Escalation, and Devastation. The original hardcover volumes utilized a "suggested reading order" that kept those three particuler mini-series mostly separate and space out between Spotlights and other mini-series like Stormbringer.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1566879)
Posted by Dead Metal on April 20th, 2014 @ 5:00pm CDT
I like the cover art, it's great just like the previous HCs. And I would like it along with the others as posters or something.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572117)
Posted by Stormrider on May 7th, 2014 @ 9:45pm CDT
How are people feeling about getting this series. I love MTMTE reviews. Are the RiD comics good enough to buy this? Or am I better off buying the TBP editions of MTMTE?
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572125)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 7th, 2014 @ 10:09pm CDT
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572130)
Posted by Stormrider on May 7th, 2014 @ 10:39pm CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Storm, IMHO, the early run of RID was better than the concurrent issues of MTMTE (the early run being anything before Starscream banishes the Autobots and Decepticons). So I think this would be worth your while, if you're into somewhat political thrillers.

Thanks.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572152)
Posted by craggy on May 8th, 2014 @ 3:17am CDT
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572194)
Posted by Stormrider on May 8th, 2014 @ 8:31am CDT
craggy wrote:i've always liked MTMTE more, but the early RID was pretty good. I found myself enjoying it less as it went on though, so glad they've changed it up for the new seasons.

Are the later RID comics too slow and little action, or is the story line choppy, or something else?
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572201)
Posted by Va'al on May 8th, 2014 @ 8:38am CDT
Stormrider wrote:

There's a lot of magic hand-waving and not really satisfying explanations for what happens. And Megatron is brought back in an unfortunately disappointing manner, too.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572233)
Posted by daningotham on May 8th, 2014 @ 9:50am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Nerv103 wrote:

I'm actually reading those Classics volumes right now. They are great. I'm half way through volume 5 and already have volume 6. Looking forward to volume 7 in June. Then I will read Regen One and the Gen 2 stuff. Then I'm thinking of reading the UK series.
Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 Pre-Order (1572329)
Posted by craggy on May 8th, 2014 @ 3:39pm CDT
the UK g1 series is my favourite of the old stuff. Did a re-read of the UK Comics recently, and ended up just skipping most of the US originated stuff, because it was getting painful to force my way through it
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction