Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview

Transformers News: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview

Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 6:57PM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Anonymous.   Views: 27,422

Transformers 'Ongoing' is continuing as scheduled. Newsarama has gotten the scoop and offers a 5-page preview of the 2nd chapter of the series. In addition to the drastic change in aesthetics to many characters, more have been re-established within 'Ongoing'. Notables are Blurr, who no longer takes the form of the Blurr we saw in his IDW Spotlight, but more of the Blurr that was in Animated. Another change would have to be Jetfire, who looks unfamiliar with a bulkier form.

The covers, description and one page can be sampled below.

Transformers #2

Mike Costa (w) • Don Figueroa (a) • Figueroa, Andrew Wildman (c)

“Things Fall Apart,” Part 1: After the shocking events at the end of last issue, the AUTOBOTS are in total disarray. An unexpected leader rises, and unlikely alliances are made as writer Mike Costa and superstar artist Don Figueroa continue their era-defining run!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview
Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview
Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview
Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview

The rest can be seen at your own discretion here. Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 is set for release on news stands on December 9. Till then...

...keep it at Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!
Credit(s): Newsarama.com

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024761)
Posted by autobot-jolt on December 3rd, 2009 @ 7:00pm CST
first post
Yay!

This looks really cool, especially with omega supreme!

I still need to read issue 1, though!
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024766)
Posted by Mkall on December 3rd, 2009 @ 7:14pm CST
Say what you will about the art, that Omega Supreme looks bad ass
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024774)
Posted by Rodimus_NZ on December 3rd, 2009 @ 7:36pm CST
who is the bot behind Jazz and Mirage in the last panel??
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024778)
Posted by Tigertrack on December 3rd, 2009 @ 7:55pm CST
The Omega does look really good. The Hot Rod on page 7 of the set looks like crap. Good to see Brawn though. I hope he punts Hot Rod into next week.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024781)
Posted by Tigertrack on December 3rd, 2009 @ 8:01pm CST
rabstanz wrote:who is the bot behind Jazz and Mirage in the last panel??

Since Streetwise is on Earth in disguise, I call that guy Hot Spot. Although I think he looks a bit more like RID Fire Convoy, but I do believe it is Hot Spot, leader of the Protectobots.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024805)
Posted by Mechastrike on December 3rd, 2009 @ 9:39pm CST
is that Spike or Daniel with a girl? anyways i like the artwork on Omega Supreme.

who's that behind "Jazz" on page 5? (i put in "Jazz" because i don't know who it is.)
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024824)
Posted by Random on December 3rd, 2009 @ 11:09pm CST
Simply put...WOW. Omega looks awesome, as does Jetfire. I'd like to see Omega's alt mode, because it looks like he has tanks on his shoulders now...
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024827)
Posted by MYoung23 on December 3rd, 2009 @ 11:31pm CST
I like the body designs mainly due to the fact that they dont have chicken legs or wheel feet.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024829)
Posted by Aeros on December 3rd, 2009 @ 11:58pm CST

Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024832)
Posted by King Henrik on December 4th, 2009 @ 12:05am CST
tigertracks 24 wrote:
rabstanz wrote:who is the bot behind Jazz and Mirage in the last panel??

Good call! i totally forgot about streetwise so i agree it probably is hot spot, although the orange chest looks a bit weird. also very nice to see brawn. i don't think i've seen him since the dreamwave ongoing.
and is it just me or does jetfire look like an overgrown energon skyblast?

the only problem i have is with hot rod. I actually do like what he is saying and think it makes alot of sense, but i don't buy the drastic change. After disobeying orders to look for sunstreaker (who he said he didn't even like)in maximum dinobots, after all the guilt from his "failed" mission from his spotlight, and after getting ironhide killed leading a rescue operation he begged prime to let him do, i can't believe he would just pick up leave his comrades behind.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024833)
Posted by Mechabreaker on December 4th, 2009 @ 12:05am CST
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024834)
Posted by Ronynus Prime on December 4th, 2009 @ 12:17am CST
Aeros wrote:I know I'm going to come off as a huge dick for this but to the person who put the News topic "BAD ARTWORK" on the main page, Do you have any kind of degree in any form of art? You can't call it bad art just because It's different. I'm not a fan of this style myself for this continuity especially when we're so used to the new age G1 style we've seen in previous IDW works

Well-stated Aeros. I completely think that the title splash on the homepage was in poor taste and was immediatelt displeased by it. I personally love the artwork and think that Don's angles and scene settings capture what tone the faces supposedly lack. I actually think that the facial design is better because the reader can create more depth with each character by pondering what they are thinking or feeling without immediately seeing it drawn out on the page for them. As far as taking this in-fiction, these robots have been at war for very little for millions of years... wearing your emotions on your sleeve usually goes out the window early on for battle-hardened warriors and career soldiers.

Mechabreaker wrote:I don't like how they are putting the names of the autobots near the characters in the comic issue. It was fine in issue one, but I know who Optimus Prime is, I don't think I would have forgotten what the characters look like just after one issue.

This a very oriental way of respecting and introducing key characters (specifically the "good guys") within a story that takes place in a more far-removed setting from previous stories. We see it in Asian cinema all the time, and it has even been homaged in the all-CG 'TMNT' film.

Anyway, I love that Furman wrote Hot Rod a tad more serious due to the war and his choices, and now I am loving this story so far. Great work by both the writer and the artist in my opinion, though I suppose many already knew where I stood on this series.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024836)
Posted by Anonymous. on December 4th, 2009 @ 12:25am CST
[color=darkgreen]I'm just going to say one thing and that is all. We've got a very bias Generation One-oriented older fanbase. When something breaks that mold of Generation One goodness, shits going to start flying. It's something that some of you new folk might not understand. For the old folk who have been G1-ers and like the mix between Movie + G1 aesthetics, then realize that most of your brethren do not like the change.

While there have been positive comments towards Dons work, there's going to be just as many negative comments. That's how equilibrium works. There are others who can attack the artwork just as well as you can defend it.

If you're offended or taken back by 'The Bad Artwork' title, then you need to get out into the world a bit more. This isn't being subjective, it's just an opinion. Your opinion of the artwork shouldn't be deterred or changed by what a title says. Look at the artwork yourself and formulate your own opinion. That's the beauty of comics and artwork.

I'm sorry that some others don't have the same opinion as you. Too bad.

Personally, I don't have a bias towards the artwork being good or bad because I like everything Transformers. [/color]
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024838)
Posted by Seibertron on December 4th, 2009 @ 12:27am CST

I put it up on the homepage because I am extremely disappointed with this art direction. I've owned this site for almost the past 10 years, I pay quite a bit of money to have this site available for all of you to enjoy, and I feel that I am entitled to some form of editorial opinion on the homepage of my site from time to time. I generally refrain from expressing my opinion on the homepage of this site. However, I feel so strongly against this art style which I feel is a poor expression of the characters we have grown to love over the past 25 years that I feel it is necessary to express my opinion which I feel is shared by many other fans that do not have the ability to express their opinion as loudly as I can.

I think it is obvious that I strongly dislike Don's art style. What I dislike even more, is why WE have to deal with this art style. From what I understand, Don wanted to draw Transformers his way. He was tired of drawing Transformers in the style to which we have been accustomed. Again, from what I understand about this was that he only agreed to come back to drawing Transformers comics if he could draw them the way that he saw fit. He had apparently picked up this new art style during his absence of drawing Transformers comics over the past couple of years. I strongly dislike that he was allowed to come back to drawing Transformers comics on this pretense. If he was able to express his views, I should be able express mine in a way that I see fit when necessary.

I apologize if you feel that this is inappropriate. I am only doing what I feel is best for the Transformers fandom and Transformers brand overall. Thank you for expressing your opinion against me. I welcome opposing views and expressing oneself.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024844)
Posted by Seibertron on December 4th, 2009 @ 12:43am CST
I just went through several pages of this artwork. The faces on the Autobots is essentially the same in all of Don's new artwork. Drawing the same expression on the different characters (not to mention the same "face designs") is simply either lazy or really shoddy artwork IN MY OPINION.

Where's a smile? Where's a grin? Where's a different looking face? Where's something that makes these characters stand out from one another other than their bodies from the neck down?

The unique facial designs of the primary Transformers characters is one of their greatest traits (and attributes). To make all of their faces similar is a strong dis-service to these characters that we've known for the past 25 years.

To me, it'd be like drawing all of the X-Men or the Justice League with the exact same faces, just different costumes. I don't think people would like if Superman and Batman had the exact same face and facial expressions but with different costumes.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024846)
Posted by Seibertron on December 4th, 2009 @ 12:47am CST
I changed the title of the spotlight on the homepage to say "Everyone's Got The Same Face" instead of "Bad Artwork: Part 2". Hopefully this expresses my opinion better.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024852)
Posted by Seibertron on December 4th, 2009 @ 1:27am CST
Aeros wrote:I remember when the movie designs came out everyone was like "What in the name of Primus is that shit" But i think Most ppl are a bit more accepting of that "art" of the movieverse and accept it for what it is.

And I got Megatron's head changed by doing the "Transformers 101" stunt back in early 2007 or late 2006 because of me using the homepage on this site to call them out on how terrible the first version looked. I don't express my opinion on the homepage of this site that often, but when I do ... it's because I feel pretty strongly about something that I think just isn't right. It's been since the first reveal of Movie Megatron since I've expressed my opinion. I feel strongly enough about Don's artwork that I feel it is time to do it again. You are welcome to disagree with me. I'm just expressing my opinion.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024853)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on December 4th, 2009 @ 1:29am CST
Let the Haters hate away. Hate, Hate, hate.

"It's so easy... To destroy something..."

As for this Blue Autobot here, I'm enjoying every bit of this art style and I hope we see TOYS based on the ACTUAL WORKING TRANSFORMATIONS that are CAREFULLY DRAWN IN someday. If fan reaction to the art style stays this divided, we may see someone more popular take over. So I'm gonna BUY as many of IDW's G1 ongoing products as I can to support this book. That's all I can do, so that's what I'm gonna do. I feel great sadness for everyone that can't just sit back and enjoy this wonderful book that IDW is carefully crafting for us.
B-)
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024856)
Posted by Savage on December 4th, 2009 @ 1:52am CST
I like the IDEA of a G1/Movie style blend. I do think a lot of the art is this series looks...lazy. And the faces bother me. It's TOO MUCH detailing and shading. It doesnt make it look more mechanical, it doesnt even make them look more like the live-action movie bots. It just makes them looked elderly and hawkish. Honestly, I have never been a fan of Don's work. Different strokes for different folks.

Oh, and Ryan, while I agree with your points about the art. I can see where some people's concern comes up. The simple "Bad Artwork" statement just comes off as a bit abrasive. I'm thinking of people who may not visit this site often, or are perhaps visiting for the first time. They might be a bit put off by it. Now, this is your site, which you've put a lot of work into over the years, so you're definitely more than entitled to say whatever the bloody heck you may catch a whim to say anywhere you want on the site. But, might I suggest an alternative that may actually further your cause? Write a news article, outlining all of the faults in the art. Don't pull any punches, go through it in detail. Sticky the article. Entitled it "Bad Artwork: Seibertron Speaks Out". This way, people can read it as a mission statement to voice our likes and dislikes to IDW. Also, the rest of us could reply in agreement to show the strength of our opinion. And those with contradicting views can express them as well. This idea would also serve to quarantine all the opinionated discussions of the art into one thread, instead of having the argument come up in every single thread posted about this series which merely compounds this divisive issue.

Anyway, that might be more effort than you have time to do at the moment. But it was a thought I had that would definitely get your voice (and the overwhelming opinion of the entire Seibertron.Com community) heard. Perhaps it might catch IDW's attention. And either way, I think it would be a service to the fandom to give them an opportunity to speak out as a resounding group rather than one or two single voices. And you still get your "Bad Artwork" title on the frontpage, but this time with a whole slew of evidence and voices behind it.
Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview (1024863)
Posted by Convotron on December 4th, 2009 @ 2:16am CST
Aeros wrote:Do you have any kind of degree in any form of art?

A degree can help inform an opinion. A background in art, either as an artist or education in art, can also help. However, appreciation, which includes critical analysis, of art doesn't require formal education or a stamp of approval such as a degree.

I'm speaking as someone who is pursuing education and training as an artist(formerly of Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario, Canada, currently seeking an atelier to enroll at). The only reason I feel it's relevant to mention this is that I've witnessed some artists wave the "you have no right to criticize art unless you're an artist" card, which I see as something that parallels the approach of questioning of someone's credentials in order to invalidate criticism of artwork.

A person doesn't have to be a professional cook in order to say something tastes good or bad. The processing, analyzing, and ultimately forming judgment of visual information isn't something that requires a degree.

Aeros wrote:You can't call it bad art just because It's different.

I have yet to read anyone's opinion at this forum state that they do not like the artwork or that it's bad artwork simply because it's "different".

Ryan/Seibertron has recently posted the factors involved in his opinion of Don's artwork, specifically the way he portrays the Transformers' faces.

More than one person, including myself, have expressed similar criticism of how Don draws faces in previous threads discussing the ongoing monthly Transformers comic.

Aeros wrote:Different art, yes. Will it take some time(Maybe A LOT)to get accustomed to, Sure. But "Bad Artwork" it is not.

Maybe it's not "bad artwork" to you but the way in which you posted your opinion comes off as assertion of fact rather than a personal judgment of the artwork.

Personally, while I don't particularly like Don's current style with regards to the faces, it's not as simple as not liking the faces. My criticism is that the faces seem to possess little emotive potential beyond a few expressions. All of the expressions I've seen so far involve closed mouth deadpan faces, baring of teeth in grimaces or open mouthed showing of anger or pain, and what could be a smile but looks more like a rictus grin.

I think Don's intent was to create simulated facial features with mechanized components to bridge the gap between the humanistic G1/typical anime Super Robot faces and the mechanically heavy features of the live action movie Transformers designs. Unfortunately, he ends up creating very sinister facial features. I actually think this style of facial design, as Don is utilizing it so far, is great for the Decepticons but isn't successful when used for Autobots. Don did a great promotional piece for the comic where the Autobots and Decepticons are having an all out fight with Optimus Prime and Megatron in the center. Seeing this style of facial design on Megatron was very cool.

To me, Don's current style for the bodies of the Transformers characters is great. I have a definite bias because I'm a big fan of mechanical design(I love the complex designs of the live action movie CG models and I'm a fan of the Binaltech/Alternators and Alternity toy lines). My nostalgic side definitely enjoy the G1 style of blocky late 70s/early 80s anime robot designs but my eye for mechanical designs developed over the years of mecha fandom enjoys the more detailed style that Don is currently employing.

It's a shame that a lot of negative attention is centered around Don's facial style. I haven't read a lot of comments all around the internet on the rest of his artwork, for better or worse.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Reissue G1『SUNSTREAKER』MISB - Time Remaining: 6 days 17 hours 55 minutes 24 seconds
Transformers Animated Shockwave Voyager Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 6 days 10 hours 11 minutes 33 seconds
Transformers Animated Blitzwing Voyager Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 6 days 11 hours 12 minutes 18 seconds
Transformers Animated Lugnut Voyager Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 6 days 10 hours 28 minutes 1 second
Transformers Animated Grimlock Voyager Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 6 days 10 hours 43 minutes 33 seconds
Transformers Animated Earth Optimus Prime Voyager Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 6 days 9 hours 44 minutes 30 seconds
Transformers Reissue G1『SUPERION』Giftbox Set MISB - Time Remaining: 6 days 19 hours 29 minutes 32 seconds
Transformers Animated Starscream Voyager Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 6 days 9 hours 45 minutes 3 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #149 - Titans Arrive