Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82

Transformers News: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82

Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 8:56AM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 38,806

Courtesy of the deviantART accounts of colorist Josh Burcham and artist Guido Guidi we have retailer incentive cover for IDW's upcoming Transformers: Regeneration #81 and "Dinobot Month" cover for #82. The issue 81 retailer incentive cover features retro style art by Geoff Senior. Take a look below.

Thats right folks! Geoff Senior is back! [for a cover...but hey! the important thing is he's back!]

So anyways, this was shown off at Botcon this last weekend [photos of it have cropped up here and there on the web] and I figured i'd give you guys a little clearer look

This cover was truly momentous for me. Geoff Senior is hands down my favorite artist to ever draw Transformers. EVAR. and he's been a huge inspiration/influence on my own drawing style as well

So its a pretty big deal to me being able to color this cover!

After getting it i pondered ever so briefly about tackling it just about how i would any other piece of TF art i do but just felt that going that route wouldnt feel right. I had to go old school. So I busted out my 80s Marvel/DC color palettes i've run across online and colored this bad boy up. [and that yellow background! totally helps sell the feel i wanted for this too. Its so 80s xD]

So anyways! Thats my story! This is our cover! And I hope you guys all check out Regeneration One when it hits [Free comic book day is when the "first" book comes out. Nab that up and get yourself up to speed for the proper release!]

Special TFRG1 #82 "retro" cover* for the IDW's "Dinobots month".
Since it has been publicly revealed at the Botcon IDW's panel (and throught various reporting fansites) it should be safe to post it here too.

Fineliners/markers on art board, done on '80 retro style.
More to come!

Credit(s): Josh Burcham and Guido Guidi
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376382)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 3rd, 2012 @ 9:14am CDT

As for the cover art, I like the retro look, but the first one looks too much like some of the UK covers I've seen. And "Dinobot month?" The Dinobots should have their own series.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376398)
Posted by RhA on May 3rd, 2012 @ 9:37am CDT
SENIOR?!

I mean...

How nice.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376438)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:56am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:So it's Galvatron, Shockwave, and Bludgeon. Good to see that Shockwave's fate will be explained. Last he was shown in the US was when he was attacked by both Megatron and Galvatron.
Up until Regeneration One was conceived, it was pretty much assumed that he was killed in the Ark crash when Ratchet forced it down in an attempt to take out four powerful Decepticons--Megatron, Shockwave, Galvatron II, Starscream--at once, along with himself.

Though, Galvatron II survived the crash, but was then defeated by Fortress Maximus afterward.

And the G.I. Joe comics leading up to the G2 comics revelaed Megatron's survival as well, who would go on to revive Starscream too.

So, so much for Ratchet's efforts. :|
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376457)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 3rd, 2012 @ 11:28am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

So, so much for Ratchet's efforts. :|

Who knows, maybe he survived as well. :P Afterall, in the comics, he was Optimus's best friend.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376471)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 3rd, 2012 @ 11:45am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

So, so much for Ratchet's efforts. :|

Simon Furman hinted at Ratchet's survival in Regeneration One. And he was indeed revived in the Classics comics (in his Henkei! Henkei! toy body, no less). But it's still a shame that he kicked the bucket in the original G1-G2 version of the story.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376583)
Posted by Death's Head 35 on May 3rd, 2012 @ 5:03pm CDT
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376701)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:37pm CDT
Death's Head 35 wrote:What about Generation 2 series which was written by Simon Furman, wasn't that a continuation of from issue 80? And if so, does that mean that series will be ignored? :-?
Yes and no. There will be elements of the G2 comics in these (like, there are images of Jhiaxus and budding in 80.5), but the overall story of the G2 comics is out of continuity with Regeneration One. There will be no Swarm, no Liege Maximo, etc.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376929)
Posted by Adimus Prime on May 4th, 2012 @ 2:34pm CDT

When you look at the artwork from ANY Transformer books in the last ten years you can see a radical improvement from the original series.

Geoff had/has potential maybe. But the awkward poses, misshapen anatomy in every panel, it all just looks like he's not giving them the respect they deserve. He doesn't capture the awe that the TFs should invoke. The shading is often confusing. It all looks rushed.

I hate to be the complainer. But I was 11 years old and frustrated that my TFs were poorly drawn.

And yes, my friends and I always envisioned poseable, proportioned Tfs. Finally the Laser Rods launched the era of poseablitlity. Why Hasbro didn't do this much earlier baffles me. I mean, kids can imagine ways to make TFs way better. I'm glad that the toy makers are a lot more in tune with the fans than they were then. I love the G1 toys. But poseability and some measure of uniform sizes are a great improvement.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1376977)
Posted by Death's Head 35 on May 4th, 2012 @ 4:37pm CDT
Adimus Prime wrote:My favorite comic was the G1 Transformers. I got hooked from Headmasters #3. While I loved the stories, I personally hate Geoff's art. In fact, I hated all the artists that ever did Transformers G1 with one exeption, Andy Wildman. Wildman totally revolutionized the imagery of the book.

Overall I loved most of the artists. The only person I never got into was Dan Reed. Don't get me wrong he does some great work, I just never thought his art was right for Transformers, to me it didn't look right. For me Andrew Wildman, Geoff Senior and Lee Sullivan were my favorites, they could do know wrong, and as young kid tried to copy there art style, with poor results!

I do agree that the artwork has improved and currently the artwork on the recent Transformer titles have been nothing short of superb, some really great stuff.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379039)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on May 11th, 2012 @ 9:28pm CDT
Guido Guidi has revealed on his facebook page, his retro variant cover for Transformers: Regeneration One #81. This cover features lineart and colors by Guido. The cover has been mirrored below.

Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379046)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on May 11th, 2012 @ 9:43pm CDT
Artwork looks neat. Makes me want to read it with its crazy colours and retro sci fi comic look.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379068)
Posted by BeastProwl on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:06pm CDT
Somebody show this to rodimus...
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379073)
Posted by Seibertron on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:18pm CDT
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379076)
Posted by Powermaster Jazz on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:24pm CDT
It's so awesome that this is happening! :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379080)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:32pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:Interesting seeing Hot Rod in his comic book colors, but Soundwave is in his blue instead of purple comic colors. Soundwave might be argued to be blue though because, if I recall correctly, he was blue in the UK, purple in the US.
Good point.

My guess is that, since ReG1 is strictly Marvel U.S. continuity (no UK stuff), Soundwave may have changed his colors to blue within the 20-year time period, but Hot Rod just stayed magenta. :-?
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379094)
Posted by Seibertron on May 12th, 2012 @ 12:53am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Good point.

In my opinion, the inclusion of Ultra Magnus as well as Soundwave's role being more akin to his UK self negates the "no UK stuff", not to mention the British spelling of a few words such as "defence".
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379133)
Posted by griftimus prime on May 12th, 2012 @ 6:51am CDT
this art is too good for this comic. too modern looking in comparison. also whats with the purple knee caps?
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379137)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 12th, 2012 @ 7:24am CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Good point.

But Simon Furman basically said "no UK stuff" at his BotCon panel. He said that the Wreckers would be appearing in ReG1 but wouldn't be the same as those who appeared in the previous UK issues (like, if Springer's a member of the ReG1 Wreckers, he wouldn't be the same Springer who was in the Marvel UK Wreckers).

And he said that this would Ultra Magnus's first appearance in this continuity, since he was only in the UK stuff (and in the Marvel adaptation of the 1986 movie and "The Big Broadcast of 2006" issue, which both are kinda hard to put into main Marvel U.S. timeline).

It's kinda like how the Galvatron who showed up during the latter chapters of the Marvel U.S. run wasn't the same Galvatron as the one who showed up during the previous UK chapters, only that this time everything's from the same timeline instead of all the different alternate timelines.
Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379165)
Posted by Seibertron on May 12th, 2012 @ 9:57am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Good point.

Re: Transformers Regeneration Covers: #81 Geoff Senior Retailer Incentive and #82 (1379169)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 12th, 2012 @ 10:08am CDT
Seibertron wrote:You brought up the Wreckers which would be yet another UK element. Furman can say "no UK stuff", and perhaps that's what he had to tell IDW, but the UK side of the original Marvel run will most definitely have influences as you can already see from issue 80.5.
Well, yes, there will be things influenced from Marvel UK, but I mean that Furman said that the events of the Marvel UK issues will have not existed or taken place in the timeline of ReG1. Like, with the Wreckers of ReG1, this will have been the first time they appear in this continuity, as they wouldn't had any of the adventures that the Wreckers of Marvel UK had.

Ending Soon On eBay

Takara Transformers Beast Wars Metals C-40 Optimus Primal New in Box Unopened - Time Remaining: 5 days 18 hours 42 minutes 33 seconds
Transformers : Fall of Cybertron Optimus Prime Deluxe Class MOC - Time Remaining: 14 days 19 hours 57 minutes 57 seconds
For Hasbro Transformers BW raid Platinum Edition Optimus Prime captain orangutan - Time Remaining: 8 days 1 hour 15 minutes 23 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 GEN 1 ORIGINAL DECEPTICON CYCLONUS FIGURE WITH GUN - Time Remaining: 6 days 19 hours 31 minutes 7 seconds
Transformers Generations : Thundercracker Deluxe Class MOC - Time Remaining: 21 days 22 hours 46 minutes 23 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 ORIGINAL HEADMASTER WEIRDWOLF FIGURE NEAR COMPLETE - Time Remaining: 6 days 19 hours 51 minutes 7 seconds
Bludgeon Transformers TFCC subscription service 4.0 2016 - Time Remaining: 1 day 12 hours 26 minutes 13 seconds
TRANSFORMERS ALTERNATORS CHEVROLET CORVETTE BATTLE RAVAGE ACTION FIGURE-MIB 2004 - Time Remaining: 13 days 12 hours 47 minutes 4 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #156 - Gestalt Theory