Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers News: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 12:00AM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 20,477

Our friends at IDW Publishing have provided a preview of this week's Transformers comic offering, Transformers: Regeneration One #85. Pick up your copy this Wednesday, November 7th. For now enjoy the preview below.

Transformers: Regeneration One #85
Simon Furman (w) • Andrew Wildman (a) • Wildman, Guido Guidi (c)
ONE WILL FALL! As the first Regeneration One arc concludes, two Transformers legends clash—for the last time! This one’s so packed with triumph, tragedy and
everything in between, we can’t say much more. If you’re a fan of titanic, all-out action, this is the one for you. If you're of a sensitive disposition—look away now!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant Covers:
Geoff Senior variant cover!

Bullet points:
• Legends Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman rock you like no one else can!
• A story so powerful, it should come with a warning!

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview

Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview
Credit(s): IDW Publishing

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437500)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on November 6th, 2012 @ 2:08am CST
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437588)
Posted by Marcdachamp on November 6th, 2012 @ 12:20pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:Can't wait. I'm gonna get covers A and B, but that Magnus cover looks hideous. Ugly art.

Disagree. Senior's stuff was always a lot of fun in the old UK comics, so I like that cover! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437672)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on November 6th, 2012 @ 3:45pm CST
That cover of Prime holding Megatron is quite touching, for some reason.
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437676)
Posted by Dr Va'al on November 6th, 2012 @ 4:20pm CST
Looking forward to this.
Both Simon and Andrew have done a good job of hyping it up!

I really like cover A, but wouldn't mind B either.
I agree, Banjo-Tron, it is quite touching.
The tension and chemistry between Megatron and Optimus has definitely been cranked up in recent years (apart from the dip in Animated, where they really did not know each other), so I guess an end-all battle will leave either survivor with a sense of something missing.

Also, pretty colours.
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437708)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on November 6th, 2012 @ 6:09pm CST
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437721)
Posted by Neurie on November 6th, 2012 @ 7:11pm CST
Already read the issue, its quiet good.
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437780)
Posted by Super Megatron on November 6th, 2012 @ 10:15pm CST
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437812)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on November 7th, 2012 @ 12:27am CST
Super Megatron wrote:Looks pretty good. Too bad the idea of Optimus Prime beating, much less killing, Megatron is a bit of a stretch...

Why? It's not like it's never happened before. I'm not even talking about DotM, even in '86, if Hot Rod hadn't jumped in, Prime would have killed Megatron.
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437817)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on November 7th, 2012 @ 12:57am CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:So is "Auntie" an UK thing? Because in the original US comics there was no mention of this program. The Ark was referred to as just that, The Ark.

Aunty was name-checked in the very first US issue, not sure if it was used in the US after that, though.
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437954)
Posted by El Duque on November 7th, 2012 @ 12:04pm CST
The official Transformers facebook page has posted the Creator Commentary for today's release, Transformers: Regeneration One #85. Artist Andrew Wildman gives shares some of his thoughts on this issue in the session mirrored below for those without facebook access.

[quote]PAGE 4: We’re starting a little late in the issue with this commentary, so as not to spoil a shocker earlier on… we get to Optimus Prime and Megatron fighting it out, just as they’ve always done. Did you find it hard to get back into drawing the classic characters like them again? Did you have to re-teach yourself how to do it?

ANDREW WILDMAN: No. I have been drawing these two guys a lot over the years in the form of sketches at conventions so they still feel very familiar. Cool bit about this scene is that I had the opportunity to start knocking chunks off of them :-)[/quote]

[quote]PAGE 5: How much free reign are you given to draw a particular panel? Do you always follow what is specified in the script or break away from that if you feel it would look better?

ANDREW WILDMAN Simon and myself have had a long creative relationship and we understand each other’s way of working. It is always clear to me that Simon has this all very well worked out in his head. It is rare that anything is not clear in the script. That said, occasionally I feel that something needs to be staged slightly differently. We discuss it and just work out what is the best solution. Our experience in TV is showing up a lot as well. Simon’s scripts often read more like a TV script and my art is looking more and more like a series of storyboards. But I like all that. I think it is giving it a more cinematic feel.[/quote]

[quote]PAGE 6: With Kup struggling as the battle continues—how long would this page have taken you to draw? And did you go through many revisions on it before you came to how it looks now?

ANDREW WILDMAN: Very few revisions. Don’t have time for that. As soon as I read it I get an image in my mind as to what the page will look like. I then do a quick thumbnail on the script itself and then just draw it up full size. The majority of these pages take the same amount of time i.e. two pages a day. I often find that if you ponder a page for too long it loses life. trust your instincts and get it down quick. That way it retains more life and vibrancy[/quote]

[quote]PAGE 5: Prime and Megatron continue their battle while Auntie poses a bigger threat... Did you go back and look at all of their previous fights to get an idea of how to approach this one?

ANDREW WILDMAN: Nope. Just piled in.[/quote]

[quote]PAGE 6: At this stage, can you see yourself penciling every issue in Regeneration One or having some other input if another artist should come in?

ANDREW WILDMAN: I have been asked that a lot. Will have to see. Couldn’t possibly say ;-)[/quote]
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437956)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on November 7th, 2012 @ 12:06pm CST
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1437974)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on November 7th, 2012 @ 1:37pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:So I just finished reading the issue, and [spoiler]I'm somewhat disappointed. It was definitely a clever way to kill Megatron, and save Optimus's honor and life at the same time. But the fight itself was just average. I was expecting a lot more ass-kicking on both sides. Oh well. 1 thing did make me happy, though: Springer got offed by Megatron. I never liked him. Good riddance. Can't wait until Grimlock's story starts up. Should be more exciting than this 1st arc was, not that this was bad. Just average. At least Galvatron is back. Now, hopefully it will be explained what happened to Shockwave.[/spoiler]

Yeah I just read it and actually enjoyed it. I was not keen on [spoiler]Springer biting[/spoiler] it though.

[spoiler]Maybe this can also usher back in Fort Max in some shape or form[/spoiler]??
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438025)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on November 7th, 2012 @ 4:28pm CST
Cyber Bishop wrote:[spoiler]I kind of had a feeling that was why Megs was Keeping Ratchet around and also was the reason he was able to access the Ark and have the knowledge to lobotomize the Decepticons like he did. I was wondering when Galvatron would be coming back and now that question is answered.. I am VERY curious as to how Scorponok is back though unless it had something to do with the Last Autobot causing the rebirth of Cybertron (as was explained) back in issue 80.[/spoiler]?

[spoiler]The real Scorponok never died. Lord Zarak did. The real Scorponok's head was stored away on nebulos, along with Max and the others who went there, and all had to be done was getting a new body built for himself. Just like he built Grimlock his original transforming body to lure him into the deal. Hopefully this will be told in a flashback or something in the next few issues.[/spoiler]
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438027)
Posted by KNM2012 on November 7th, 2012 @ 4:30pm CST

I have to agree with you. I picked up the issue only because I was expecting more from Furman. But instead, I felt it was mediocre to the point it has put the upcoming story arc at risk for me - Especially since I do not want to pay $4 for something that does not even give me the same excitement that I get from Transformers: All Spark. :BOOM:

But I must confess... I liked how Scorpinok was drawn in the end. So we will see. :-?
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438030)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on November 7th, 2012 @ 4:52pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:
[spoiler]The real Scorponok never died. Lord Zarak did. The real Scorponok's head was stored away on nebulos, along with Max and the others who went there, and all had to be done was getting a new body built for himself.[/spoiler]

Oh yeah.. Duh...
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438216)
Posted by norwichchris on November 8th, 2012 @ 1:26pm CST
I bought this wednesday and felt it was good end to the story and was very glad to see Galvatron return at the end.

The part with Ratchet was also very well done, glad they did something with that where as in Generation two they totally ignored it completely.

Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438323)
Posted by KNM2012 on November 8th, 2012 @ 7:02pm CST
norwichchris wrote:The real question is will the zombie decepticons come back to life as Galvatrons new army? I really do hope that he does have a fight with Optimus Prime in the end he should do.

The answer is no. If you recall [spoiler]Megatron retained the knowledge he shared with Ratchet, when it came to both reanimating and controlling the Cybertronian zombies. So when Ratchet was killed by Kup, it is assumed that the general knowledge and control was lost. Meaning that unless Galvatron wanted to control them, he needs to undo Ratchet's death.[/spoiler] :-B
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438343)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on November 8th, 2012 @ 7:57pm CST
norwichchris wrote: Scorponok I was kinda hoping he wouldn't come back again as his time has passed for good and did have a really good death scene with Unicron burning him alive whilst defending Cybertron.

Once again, [spoiler]the real Scorponok never died. Lord Zarak did. The real Scorponok's head was stored away on nebulos, along with Max and the others who went there, and all had to be done was getting a new body built for himself[/spoiler].
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438617)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on November 9th, 2012 @ 12:37pm CST

[spoiler]Also, I get the feeling that Starscream may still be alive, seeing as he had some concept of what was going on. Otherwise, that whole sub-plot was a red herring. Hopefully we will see more of him. I'm irritated that Spike survived as well, and was hoping that he would have died destroying Auntie. Circuit Smasher sucks.[/spoiler]

I think it's amazing that in 5 issues not a great deal has happened, IMO. I guess that is modern comic techniques for you; lots of decompression everywhere. Still, it was a decent story arc and I can't wait for the next. The trade paperback is now up for pre-order as well.
Re: Transformers: Regeneration One #85 Preview (1438691)
Posted by F Prime on November 9th, 2012 @ 4:09pm CST
Banjo-Tron wrote:I thought the issue was pretty good. [spoiler]I was sad to see 3 characters bite the big one, and I can't quite accept that the remaining 15 issues will not feature Megatron in some shape or form. But why did Prime kill Megatron when he didn't know that Auntie was beaten? He could have easily subdued him, seeing as he kept ripping bits of him off. He took a punt that Megatron was bluffing, or he just didn't care about obliterating the earth and all his comrades? Is he that jaded?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I am guessing that the missiles would have flown had Megatron been subdued. Maybe that would have been part of the "stalemate option" Megatron mentioned? I interpreted that to mean that if no one killed the other *and* it didn't look like that was going to happen then launch away.[/spoiler]