Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers News: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Friday, April 12th, 2013 6:08PM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 21,341

IDW's Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 hits retailers this coming Wednesday, and as always we have a preview to whet your appetite. Be sure to pick up or download the full copy, but for now enjoy the sneak peek below. Full issue review coming early next week.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #16
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a) • Griffith, Casey Coller (c)
FINAL BATTLE! The leadership of Cybertron will be decided once and for all! It’s all-out war against the forces of MEGATRON! Will the Autobots wrest control from their attackers—or will the DECEPTICON flag fly over Cybertron forever? Heroes will fall, and nothing will stay the same.
*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant Covers:
Marcelo Matere variant cover!

Bullet points:
The soul-shattering conclusion to the story began in RID #1!
The beginning of a powerful new direction—if anybody survives this issue!
Heroes will fall—and one shall lead!

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview
Credit(s): IDW Publishing
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478570)
Posted by sabrigami on April 12th, 2013 @ 7:22pm CDT
Wow, Ironhide can jump pretty high :shock: I am kinda interested in this, but Metalhawk really turns me off of this. Watch, he'll die a Martyr and never get what's coming to him :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478578)
Posted by Henry921 on April 12th, 2013 @ 7:47pm CDT
So Rumble is red again.

And in his United tank body.

I am okay with both these things.
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478588)
Posted by Anonymous. on April 12th, 2013 @ 8:17pm CDT
I hope Turmoil gets it :P
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478601)
Posted by sabrigami on April 12th, 2013 @ 8:50pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:I hope Turmoil gets it :P

Me too, but not before metalhawk. Sad when I'm rooting for the heroes to die before the merciless villians :-P
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478627)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 12th, 2013 @ 10:43pm CDT
What, Starscream?! WHAT IS THE THING WITH OPPORTUNISTS?!

I look forward to this. Was anyone else really turned on when Arcee threatened to tear out Rumble's Spark with her teeth? Or am I just a really sad specimen? :lol:
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478743)
Posted by T-Macksimus on April 13th, 2013 @ 10:18am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote: ...Was anyone else really turned on when Arcee threatened to tear out Rumble's Spark with her teeth? Or am I just a really sad specimen? :lol:

It's not just you. That was actually pretty damn hot. :P
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478785)
Posted by cybercat on April 13th, 2013 @ 1:20pm CDT
I feel like the only person who likes Metalhawk.

And Turmoil.

;-;

Personally, I can't stand Bumblebee, but it's in that sort of 'OH GOD I LOVE HATING YOU' hateboner way.

HK, FOREVER ALOOOOOOONE
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1478796)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 13th, 2013 @ 2:19pm CDT
hellkitty wrote:I feel like the only person who likes Metalhawk.

I quite like Metalhawk too, actually!
I'm a fan of all the neutrals, really, as they're relatively new characters, and offer some perspective on the story.

But I'm not feeling this issue from the preview.
Which is a shame, as I really enjoyed RiD up to Megatron's return.
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479108)
Posted by KNM2012 on April 14th, 2013 @ 3:08pm CDT
I know that I'll probably say this until Takara Tomy makes a Masterpiece version of Wheeljack, reissues Masterpiece Grimlock, makes a Masterpiece Skyfire, reissues both Chromedome and MegaZarak, and reissues most of the Masterforce/Victory/Zone figures... But I like Metalhawk as well. Same with Arcee. Because the whole unaligned aspect is the only thing that helps make the franchise interesting to me. ^^;

Oh, and I wonder if Bumblebee will sacrifice himself and later return as Goldbug. :p
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479144)
Posted by AltarofPlagues on April 14th, 2013 @ 4:50pm CDT
Im not a fan of how Ironhide is somehow now omnipotent. We all know he exists past the war ending, and now that means hes somehow super Ironhide and can jump up and punch devastator?
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479394)
Posted by BATTLEMASTER IIC on April 15th, 2013 @ 11:35am CDT
I don't think Ironhide necessarily has super powers. I think Sludge hit him with his tail like a baseball for a home run on Devy.
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479613)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 16th, 2013 @ 11:31am CDT

Times are a-changin'
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

That cliché inhibitor really was crushed

Story

Everyone's fighting, robots are fighting, there is some fighting and some more fighting too. So far, mostly fighting. And talking. But no Shockwave. Superion's gone, Prowlestator is on a rampage, things look bad for most characters. Did I mention fighting?

Oh, and this happens

Apparently, this is supposed to be the conclusion to the first story-arc, started in issue 1, after the split from MTMTE. And I guess it does do that, after a fashion. There is a sense of closure for some of the storyline's aspects that started with the series' inception, but not really that much, and some aspects of the plot are just left hanging, in my opinion.

The boxes are yellow too!

Bumblebee's voice is the narrative thread running through the entirety of the issue, in the usual Barber caption commentary. I understand the need for something other than pure action sequences, but having the little boxes showing up all over gives me the impression of trying to fit too much into one arc/issue/volume.

Megatron's cliché inhibitor is also awol

Mind you, the writing in the captions is good, but some of the scenes in the issue really didn't do it for me. Either too silly, or predictable, I feel. There are some good points, though, like the legacy of other Cybertronians we've seen so far, and a little resolution, plus a set-up for a promising expansion of the setting for the series in the near future. And a good, if not entirely surprising, conclusion, too.

Art

The artwork, on the other hand, is gorgeous. While I have still some concerns with some of the characters' faces, I really enjoyed the details that Griffith, Shearer and Ketcham added to each of the players in the battle: damage, scarring, cracks, creaks, and so on and so forth – no one is as clean as after a Hollywood movie battle scene, and that is an excellent thing.

See? Battle damage redeco all over

There are some amazing soundwords too, and the lettering for them is brilliant. Lee has really put himself into these! Additionally, Perez' colours, especially in some of the bigger resolution moments – which I will not spoil for anyone – are gorgeous. And I love the tones of the last pages, especially in the final panel.

...rumblar?

So yes, the art-colour-lettering jobs definitely bring up the issue a notch, allowing it, in my judgement, to pass. They're not just aesthetically pleasing, they're well done, and convey exactly what this type of situation would entail in a physical scenario.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

I wasn't a fan of this one, I have to admit. There was the same sense of prolongued fighting as the previous issue, and it tried inserting some tension relief with secondary characters like Swindle and the Dinobots, which may or may not have entirely worked. The conclusion is not entirely unexpected, but pleasing enough, though!

Er.. can we?

There are some loose ends still to tie up (and where is Shockwave?!), but there are some excellent scenes in terms of artwork, colouring and page-span. There were ups, and as I said, this may lead into something a lot better, but for now, I'm a little disappointed. Here's hoping for better with the next arc.

. :CON: :CON: :CON: out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:

Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479670)
Posted by sabrigami on April 16th, 2013 @ 4:58pm CDT
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479673)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 16th, 2013 @ 5:15pm CDT
sabrigami wrote:Disappointing to hear, but not surprising. I'm tempted not to pick it up but I do want to know what happens. I think the need to fix Costa's mess has really hurt this. I wish they just dropped some of it instead of trying so hard to make it fit. hopefully the next ark can finally try to put these old plot points to rest and move on to new stuff. I still have some faith that Barber can pull this off.

Yeah, that is the general feeling among the couple of reviewers I've spoken to.
Hopefully, as you say, after this issue Barber will be able to do his own stuff - but it would've been nice if he had started doing it already, rather than feeling the need to sew on continuity patches.
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479698)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 16th, 2013 @ 7:59pm CDT
Va'al wrote:

Yeah, that is the general feeling among the couple of reviewers I've spoken to.

Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479743)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 17th, 2013 @ 5:10am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:I agree, but I also believe that Costa's ( and even McCarthy's) run needed the patches. The comics have been so riddled with continuity holes since Furman's run was cancelled.

That is true. But it could have been done without having to sacrifice originality, I believe.
Or at least, I would've liked to see Barber do it.

However, [spoiler]we are now finally back to the end of All Hail Megatron, as if the Costa run never happened! (Except for the references.)[/spoiler]
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479745)
Posted by burning_sirius on April 17th, 2013 @ 6:03am CDT

Its loads better than Dreamwave.
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479747)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 17th, 2013 @ 6:33am CDT
I'll copy and paste what sums up my thoughts about Costa's run from the IDW boards.

[quote]* Good, interesting ideas with terrible execution

* ZERO subplots or development for future mysteries/questions/narrative

* Absolutely decompressed storytelling - even compared to other writers like Bendis - i've done the stats.[/quote]

And I'm a big fan of War Within so I suppose we just don't agree. :D
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479748)
Posted by AltarofPlagues on April 17th, 2013 @ 6:45am CDT
I didnt mind the stories for costas run. I just hated the artwork when they changed them all to look more realistic. Figueroas wierd bayverse look. Horrible. Much better art now
Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #16 Preview (1479751)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 17th, 2013 @ 7:08am CDT
burning_sirius wrote:Costa's run is the most unappreciated in all of Transformers. Mike Costa is a great writer who tried to insert realism into the Transformers story. Blame Andy Schmit for all the continuity errors as he was a really bad at that as an editor. Now, we have John Barber who is great at continuity. Mike's run had characters make *gasp* mistakes and was really decompressed. But hey, what do I know. I have loved Transformers all my life and his run ranks up there.

You bring up some valid points. I don't hate Costa's writing (in fact I think he does a pretty decent job with G.I. joe), I just don't think it does the Transformers justice. What I didn't like was how he had to screw with Prowl's scheming ways - it was just too indecisive for my taste.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Generations - Scattershot Combiner Wars Action Figure (Hasbro) - Time Remaining: 3 days 9 hours 27 minutes 1 second
FansToys Transformers FT-03 Quakewave G1 Masterpiece Shockwave - Time Remaining: 17 days 7 hours 12 minutes 7 seconds
Vintage 1986 Hasbro Transformers G1 Decepticon Predacon - Headstrong - Time Remaining: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes 14 seconds
Vintage 1985 Hasbro Transformers G1 Autobot Blaster - Time Remaining: 3 days 20 hours 26 minutes 56 seconds
TRANSFORMERS: ALTERNITY: OPTIMUS PRIME: CONVOY-RED VERSION: NISSAN GTR. NEW/MISB - Time Remaining: 5 days 3 hours 45 minutes 39 seconds
BRAND NEW TRANSFORMERS G1 REFLECTOR REISSUE COLLECTION MISB - Time Remaining: 3 days 19 hours 1 minute 41 seconds
Transformers Classics Universe Generations Lot/5 w/Hound, Tracks, Smokescreen - Time Remaining: 2 days 20 hours 1 minute 46 seconds
NEW 2016 Transformers Collectors Club Ramjet Exclusive w/Tech & Instructions MIB - Time Remaining: 5 days 19 hours 18 minutes 5 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #159 - Imperfect Specks