Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images

Transformers News: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images

Thursday, April 11th, 2013 6:52PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 24,717

The official BotCon 2013 website has posted new images of Obsidian in his new updated color scheme. Obsidian will join Strika, Hoist, Megaplex, and Skywarp in this year's convention exclusive Machine Wars: Termination box set. Check out the images mirrored below.

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed

For comparison here's a side by side with the initial reveal:

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed
Credit(s): BotCon

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478304)
Posted by Rated X on April 11th, 2013 @ 7:01pm CDT
I do like this much better. Although it is very similar to G2 Powerdive, they wont be on the same shelf.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478305)
Posted by Mkall on April 11th, 2013 @ 7:02pm CDT
I like this a lot better. Finally, The Club scores some positive points.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478310)
Posted by Poyguimogul on April 11th, 2013 @ 7:23pm CDT
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478311)
Posted by Noideaforaname on April 11th, 2013 @ 7:23pm CDT
Much better.

Didn't notice it before, but the rotors are evidently translucent.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478315)
Posted by TK415 on April 11th, 2013 @ 7:46pm CDT
Old color scheme = hurts my eyes
New color scheme = beautiful!

Lime green can make a fun toy but it’s a bit bright on the screen, though it has been a long day at work. He looks pretty wicked in dark green. And I don't mean "wicked or wizard," I mean he looks intimidating. You don't get intimidating from lime green. Rated X is right, he is now pretty similar to Powerdive, but the purple guns on Powerdive’s hips work to diminish his wickedness.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478325)
Posted by RAcast on April 11th, 2013 @ 8:32pm CDT
I still have a soft spot for the toy's colors, but it makes more sense to do the screen-accurate colors I suppose.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478326)
Posted by Henry921 on April 11th, 2013 @ 8:45pm CDT
And his eyes turned green. Um, why?

While I like the new color scheme better overall, I do think the head looks a bit less menacing now.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478329)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on April 11th, 2013 @ 8:54pm CDT
Poyguimogul wrote:I honestly wanted the green one... I have never seen the BM show so I have no connection to those colors...

Well, I DID see all of Beast Machines, and therefore have trouble saying anything about BM that doesn't turn into some sort of incitement to violence, so I'll just leave it at that...

...but before I watched the show all the way through, Obsidian was one of the few toys I had from the line, and there was something I always liked about it, so I would've really preferred the bright green too. I guess it came out around the time he debuted on the show, but because his toy came out so long before Strika's, his blinding color scheme carries a prehistory connotation in my mind, like black Ironhide, so it would've made more sense to me in that respect if these are Obsidian and Strika's bodies back in G1-ish days. Despite how much happier I'd be if the 'toon never existed, I did sort of appreciate the later toyline's attempts at show-accuracy out of general principle, but a show-accurate color scheme on a mold that's not exactly more show-accurate isn't necessarily better...but the new head makes it work, I suppose. I don't have Power-sack yet, but I was also looking forward to an Obsidian as different from him as possible. But again, the new head compensates...is three approaching a record for the number of different official heads a mold has had? I've lost track of all the new heads Fun-Pub has done.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478334)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 11th, 2013 @ 9:56pm CDT
Henry921 wrote:And his eyes turned green. Um, why?
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478335)
Posted by Henry921 on April 11th, 2013 @ 9:58pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Henry921 wrote:And his eyes turned green. Um, why?

Fair enough.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478336)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 11th, 2013 @ 10:01pm CDT
...Now I'm even more willing to buy this (never going to happen, though), seeing Obsidian in that deco. =P~
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478338)
Posted by Heckfire on April 11th, 2013 @ 10:10pm CDT
OK, NOW I want him.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478360)
Posted by rpetras on April 12th, 2013 @ 12:53am CDT
Heckfire wrote:OK, NOW I want him.

^^
This.

I may actually pick this guy up on the aftermarket.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478445)
Posted by g1grimlock on April 12th, 2013 @ 12:14pm CDT
I really like the new color. Not only is it better on the eyes but it's more accurate to the show. It' a win win! :KREMZEEK:
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478497)
Posted by El Duque on April 12th, 2013 @ 3:19pm CDT

The official BotCon 2013 website has posted the box art for this year's Machine Wars: Termination convention exclusive set, which features Obsidian, Strika, Skywarp, Megaplex, and Hoist. The box will feature a cut out window reminiscent of the original Machine Wars packaging along with General Obsidian artwork. Check out he box art below.

[quote]The five-figure boxed set, which includes General Obsidian, General Strika, Commander Megaplex, Clone Warrior Skywarp, and Autobot Hoist, will be presented in an illustrated display box but, for the first time ever for BotCon, will also feature a cut out mimicking the style of the original MACHINE WARS packaging. This set can be displayed alongside all of your previous BotCon sets and/or your classic Machine Wars toys! Also included with the set is a certificate of authenticity, tech specs and figure weapons.[/quote]

Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478498)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 12th, 2013 @ 3:21pm CDT
With only Obsidian as the packaging art for 5 figures? Weird move.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478499)
Posted by rpetras on April 12th, 2013 @ 3:25pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:With only Obsidian as the packaging art for 5 figures? Weird move.

I'd showcase him too.
He's the only one of the bunch that doesn't suck out loud.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478506)
Posted by Seibertron on April 12th, 2013 @ 3:46pm CDT

I agree. I would've preferred the "scene" artwork depicting the 5 characters in an action shot or moment similar to previous years. It would've been interesting to see a mock-up of the box done in a hybrid G1 Combiner giftset with Machine Wars styling.

What I don't like about this style is too much emphasis on one character when it should be about the set as a whole. Hopefully this point doesn't get lost on the comics like it has during the past 4 or 5 BotCons since the 2010 sets onward.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478520)
Posted by Hoitytoity on April 12th, 2013 @ 4:15pm CDT

Beast Machine Wars all the way, apparently.
Re: Updated BotCon 2013 Machine Wars Obsidian Images (1478527)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 12th, 2013 @ 4:21pm CDT
Hoitytoity wrote:I get where they're going, and like it. What I don't like is the only characters/figures visible in the art aren't Machine Wars characters >____>

Beast Machine Wars all the way, apparently.

Technically speaking, only MW Hubcap was a Machine Wars original character, the rest was a collection of returning G1 characters. Obsidian and Strika, while Beast Machines originals, had their backstory roots in pre-Beast Wars (read G1) time if we're to believe their fame in the show.

Ending Soon On eBay

SILVERBOLT Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager SUPERION PART - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 43 minutes 26 seconds
Transformers Movie Target Deep Space Starscream MISB New Mint - Time Remaining: 3 days 15 hours 22 seconds
TRANSFORMERS MARVEL CROSSOVERS IRON MAN - Time Remaining: 3 days 21 hours 31 minutes 46 seconds
Transformers Marvel Legends Crossover Spiderman Motorcycle Hasbro Action Figure - Time Remaining: 3 days 21 hours 31 minutes 41 seconds
Transformers Marvel Crossovers X-Men Wolverine NIB - Time Remaining: 3 days 21 hours 31 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers Action Figure RID The Ultimate Battle,Optimus Prime VS Megatron new - Time Remaining: 4 days 11 hours 39 minutes 20 seconds
Transformers Energon Robots In Disguise Galvatron - Time Remaining: 26 days 16 hours 8 minutes 15 seconds
Transformers Dark of the Moon Optimus Prime DOTM Mechtech 2010 Voyager Class - Time Remaining: 4 days 21 hours 44 minutes 53 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #151 - SDCC 2016