Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers News: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release

Friday, October 11th, 2013 8:24AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 16,368

Last night we reported that IDW Publishing would be releasing an all new Transformers/G.I. Joe Crossover series drawn and co-written (along with John Barber) by Tom Scioli. We now have the official press release from IDW Publishing announcing the upcoming project, which will release next summer and will apparently be an on-going series. Check out the full press release below:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Worlds Collide In New TRANSFORMERS/G.I. JOE Ongoing Series!
The Crossover Of The Century At IDW In 2014

San Diego, CA (October 11, 2013) – Two of the most popular comic book franchises of all-time, TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE, will be going head-to-head in a brand-new ongoing series debuting next summer! Written and drawn by comic luminary Tom Scioli (Godland, American Barbarian) with co-writer and TRANSFORMERS veteran John Barber (TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE, FALL OF CYBERTRON), these classic characters will explode off the page like never before!

Transformers News: Re: IDW Announces New Transformers/G.I. Joe Crossover Written and Drawn by Tom Scioli

Based on the iconic Hasbro brands, this stand-alone seriesis set to explore the intriguing encounter between these starkly different teams. Cosmic in scale, the series will utilize Scioli’s unique artwork to traverse the perils of space and pit the G.I. JOE team against the ominous threats of CYBERTRON. Featuring the characters synonymous with both TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE this will be a team-up for the ages!

“This is a dream project for me,” says Barber, “and I’m blown away by the imagination and the unique take that Tom Scioli is bringing to this project. It harkens back to classic comic traditions—and to the origins of the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE characters—but feels constantly, irrepressibly new!”

“This feels like the comic I was born to make,” says Scioli. “We’re asking big questions. Is war an inevitable condition of life? What is free will? What is the future of man and machine as the line between them becomes increasingly blurred? The G.I. JOE team is trained to deal with dangerous situations and this is the ultimate test of their training. The TRANSFORMERS characters push the boundaries of what shapes life can take in this infinite universe of ours. Perhaps it will be a machine that teaches us what it is to be human.”

Both brands have found immense success over the decades with action figures, feature films, cartoons, comics and more; and have each found unique and avid fanbases. With influential and iconic characters, the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE brands are globally renowned as multi-media powerhouses.

“We’ve been waiting for the right opportunity for this event, and the anniversary of both TRANSFORMERS and G.I.JOE in 2014 is definitely the perfect time," said Michael Kelly, Hasbro's Director of Global Publishing. "We are very excited to be working with IDW on this project, and I for one can’t wait to read the next chapter of this adventure.”

The event of the year begins next summer only at IDW!

About Hasbro, Inc.
Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) is a branded play company dedicated to fulfilling the fundamental need for play for children and families through the creative expression of the Company’s world class brand portfolio, including TRANSFORMERS, MONOPOLY, PLAY-DOH, MY LITTLE PONY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF and LITTLEST PET SHOP. From toys and games, to television programming, motion pictures, digital gaming and a comprehensive licensing program, Hasbro strives to delight its global customers with innovative play and entertainment experiences, in a variety of forms and formats, anytime and anywhere. The Company's Hasbro Studios develops and produces television programming for more than 170 markets around the world, and for the U.S. on Hub Network, part of a multi-platform joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK). Through the company's deep commitment to corporate social responsibility, including philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to build a safe and sustainable world for future generations and to positively impact the lives of millions of children and families every year. It has been recognized for its efforts by being named one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" and is ranked as one of Corporate Responsibility Magazine's "100 Best Corporate Citizens." Learn more at http://www.hasbro.com.

share on Twitter Send WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS/G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! to friends on Facebook Digg Reddit

About IDW

IDW is an award-winning publisher of comic books, graphic novels and trade paperbacks, based in San Diego, California. Renowned for its diverse catalog of licensed and independent titles, IDW publishes some of the most successful and popular titles in the industry, including: Hasbro’s The TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE and MY LITTLE PONY; Paramount’s Star Trek; Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; 2000AD’s Judge Dredd; The Rocketeer; Toho’s Godzilla; Wizards of the Coast’s Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons; and the Eisner-Award winning Locke & Key series, created by best-selling author Joe Hill and artist Gabriel Rodriguez. IDW is also home to the Library of American Comics imprint, which publishes classic comic reprints, Yoe! Books, a partnership with Yoe! Studio, and the multiple award-winning Artist's Edition imprint.

IDW’s critically- and fan-acclaimed series are continually moving into new mediums. Currently, Jerry Bruckheimer Films and Disney are creating a feature film based on World War Robot; Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Warner Brothers are producing a film based on Ashley Wood's Lore; and Michael Bay‘s Platinum Dunes and Sony are bringing Zombies vs. Robots to film.
Credit(s): IDW Publishing

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523206)
Posted by rdrunr89 on October 11th, 2013 @ 8:34am CDT
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523207)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 11th, 2013 @ 8:36am CDT
rdrunr89 wrote:Are we going to see Cobra Commander called "Snake" and then try to say "Cobraaaa" and start coughing?
Is that the extent of TF/Joe crossovers you've seen?
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523259)
Posted by T-Macksimus on October 11th, 2013 @ 10:42am CDT
Not even sure why I'm asking myself the same rhetorical question that every fan of the cross-overs throughout the years has asked, especially since Hasbro will be shoving truckloads of horrid movie-verse toys down our collective throats, but I don't suppose there is any chance whatsoever that there will be any official cross-over toys produced THIS time around???

Yeah, I didn't think so. Like I said, it's a rhetorical question and we aren't going to get anything official hitting the mainstream market. Sad because not only would it be a great money maker for them but would help re-ignite the basic Joe toy sales since they have pretty much gone to crap over the recent years. The line is barely a shadow of its former self.
Past crossover projects have come up with not only some great ideas for new Joe vehicles but also some truly inspired alt modes for the TF's and I think they would have run well in the Universe line (and helped keep that line going) had anyone actually followed through with them.
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523261)
Posted by AutoBorst on October 11th, 2013 @ 10:53am CDT
That cover art is horrifying.
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523301)
Posted by Bubbah on October 11th, 2013 @ 12:55pm CDT
Awesome! I can't wait to see this. But I am curious ... Due out next summer, about the same time as TF4, which just so happens to be the start of the next trilogy and a new direction for the movie franchise. Hmmm, I wonder if there's any coincidence .... :-?
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523320)
Posted by Antron on October 11th, 2013 @ 2:48pm CDT
SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!! I have always loved the G.I. Joe / Transformers crossovers. If I could afford to collect a 2nd toyline it would be G.I. Joe. I'm about 6 months behind on the Joe comics. Does any one know if this affects or ties into the Devils Due comics at all or will it all be the IDW and sort of Marvel universe(s)? If it doesn't, being 6 months behind really won't matter.
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523339)
Posted by rdrunr89 on October 11th, 2013 @ 3:48pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Is that the extent of TF/Joe crossovers you've seen?

Sabr - That was sarcasm. And no its not. I have all the original Marvel TF and Joe comics, including the crossovers. I was actually watching the 80s TF cartoon with my son the other day and we watched that episode. That's why it was in my head and I just wanted to make a sarcastic comment. :BOOM:
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523381)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 11th, 2013 @ 10:13pm CDT
rdrunr89 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Is that the extent of TF/Joe crossovers you've seen?

Ah, I see. Sarcasm and the Internet don't mix well without emoticons. ;)
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523409)
Posted by michael alex kawa on October 12th, 2013 @ 3:33am CDT
I like the art ,and I have always loved G.I.Joe :GIJOE: and Transformers :BOT: crossovers . The one during G2 :G2BOT: will always be my favorite .Maybe because it affected the main comics of both series . I have been asking IDW for more and I got my wish .
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1523423)
Posted by Dead Metal on October 12th, 2013 @ 5:01am CDT
Whaaat? IDW lets 12 yearolds draw and write now?
Re: WORLDS COLLIDE IN NEW TRANSFORMERS / G.I. JOE ONGOING SERIES! - Official Press Release (1524148)
Posted by Va'al on October 16th, 2013 @ 3:33am CDT
Comics news site Multiversity Comics has uploaded an episode from the Robots from Tomorrow podcast in which the hosts interview Tom Scioli after NYCC, talking about the upcoming IDW Transformers/G.I. Joe crossover comic. You can also directly download the podcast here.

It’s just been announced that IDW Publishing has brought in Tom Scioli to create a brand new Transformers/G.I. Joe comic. We talk about what it’s like to be handed the reigns to such iconic licences, as well as what he plans to bring to the title in terms of art and narrative. With the long-running Godland coming to a close, and Transformers/G.I. Joe on the horizon, we also take the time to talk about Tom’s career as a whole. He’s an artist who seems to always push his art in new directions, experimenting with line and color to deliver different types of stories in different ways. We’re excited for What he’s got in store for the Joes and the Autobots, and after this talk, you will be too!
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok