help with c++

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

help with c++

Postby tequila stu » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:53 am

Hey, I am just wondering if anyone on here knows c++.

I have got a piece of coursework to do for the 10th of April that requires a random number generator and the ability to save and re-call the numbers. now as I have never used a R.N.G before I am absolutely stumped. I can get it to generate the numbers but can't quite seem to figure out how to store them.

Any help is appreciated.

*edit*

almost forgot, this is the generator I am using.

Code: Select all
    {
    srand((unsigned)time(0));
    float lowest=-10, highest=10;
    float range=(highest-lowest)+1;
    for(float index=0; index<8; index++){
        rw1 = lowest+float(range*rand()/(RAND_MAX + 100));
        cout << setprecision(2) << setiosflags(ios::fixed);


        cout << endl;
        system ("pause");

        }
tequila stu
Gestalt
Posts: 2696
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:36 am

Postby Predaprince » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:54 am

Motto: ""Destruction is the fate of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Sonic Rifle
I wish I could help, but I don't know much of C++. I use Python for most of my programming.

Good luck with it, though.
User avatar
Predaprince
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17277
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 7:33 am
Location: Char
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: N/A
Courage: 10
Firepower: ???
Skill: Infinity

Postby Stormwolf » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:57 am

Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
I haven't used C++ in over 4 years, I can't remember a thing about it, sorry :-(
Image
Stormwolf
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 7839
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:39 pm
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Rank: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Re: help with c++

Postby The Happy Locust » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:41 am

Motto: "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools- Douglas Adams"
Weapon: Black Magic
funny, looks like that code isn't printing anything.

Okay, the easiest way to store the random numbers is either in an array or a linked list.

the current code:
Code: Select all
for(float index=0; index<8; index++){
        rw1 = lowest+float(range*rand()/(RAND_MAX + 100));


updated code
Code: Select all
for (float index=0; index<8; index++){
    randomArray[index] = lowest+float(range*rande()/RAND_MAX + 100);


just make an array of whatever number of objects you need and save the random number directly to it. Obviously, you need to create the array first. hope that helps.
Next up on Pimp My Jeager.
Image


LocustManX2: New Episodes now showing!
Famous Characters, Locustized! now taking requests.

Psycho Warrior wrote:for this reason, that is why I like to be around Locust. fun stuff happens.
User avatar
The Happy Locust
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35282
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:46 pm
Location: In dreams, in nightmares, in embarrassing fantasies.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 3
Skill: 10

Postby Bed Bugs » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:15 am

Motto: "The Bigger The Buffet, The Better!"
Weapon: Dual Heat-Seeking Missile Launcher
Damn, I learned C++ and Java a year and a half ago and forgot most of it. Hence why I'm not a programmer anymore. :lol:
Image
Botcon: The Legacy Collection
Bed Bugs
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6543
News Credits: 46
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Under Your Bed at Botcon
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby The Happy Locust » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:56 am

Motto: "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools- Douglas Adams"
Weapon: Black Magic
Fender Bender wrote:Damn, I learned C++ and Java a year and a half ago and forgot most of it. Hence why I'm not a programmer anymore. :lol:


Don't feel bad. I've got a degree and I still had to look up my old homework to remember that.
Next up on Pimp My Jeager.
Image


LocustManX2: New Episodes now showing!
Famous Characters, Locustized! now taking requests.

Psycho Warrior wrote:for this reason, that is why I like to be around Locust. fun stuff happens.
User avatar
The Happy Locust
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35282
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:46 pm
Location: In dreams, in nightmares, in embarrassing fantasies.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 3
Skill: 10

Re: help with c++

Postby tequila stu » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:34 pm

The Happy Locust wrote:funny, looks like that code isn't printing anything.

Okay, the easiest way to store the random numbers is either in an array or a linked list.

the current code:
Code: Select all
for(float index=0; index<8; index++){
        rw1 = lowest+float(range*rand()/(RAND_MAX + 100));


updated code
Code: Select all
for (float index=0; index<8; index++){
    randomArray[index] = lowest+float(range*rande()/RAND_MAX + 100);


just make an array of whatever number of objects you need and save the random number directly to it. Obviously, you need to create the array first. hope that helps.


yeah...i just realised i forgot to paste in the part that shows the numbers..


thanks for the help man....much appreciated.
tequila stu
Gestalt
Posts: 2696
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:36 am


Return to General Discussion

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Mastermind Creations MMC R-27 Calidus Hot Rod in Stock - Time Remaining: 2 days 18 hours 51 minutes 24 seconds
HASBRO TRANSFORMERS REVEAL THE SHIELD SOLAR STORM  GRAPPEL ACTION FIGURE! NEW! - Time Remaining: 2 days 10 hours 52 minutes 38 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Primus Unleashed Optimus Prime NEW MIB - Time Remaining: 2 days 16 hours 53 minutes 27 seconds
TRANSFORMERS 2000s Original Advance Daybill Movie Poster Megan Fox - Time Remaining: 1 day 8 hours 4 minutes 30 seconds
Transformers Cybertron STARSCREAM Voyager 2005 From vs Vector Prime Set - Time Remaining: 27 days 12 hours 5 minutes 34 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Prime Deluxe Class RATCHET Rid Robots In Disguise - Time Remaining: 5 days 13 hours 8 minutes 21 seconds
TRANSFORMERS 5 THE LAST KNIGHT DINOBOT SLASH ACTION FIGURES PREMIER EDITION TOY - Time Remaining: 7 days 18 hours 12 minutes 12 seconds
Transformers Rid Prime ARCEE Complete Deluxe Figure - Time Remaining: 3 days 4 hours 13 minutes 58 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #186 - NYCC 2017
Twincast / Podcast #186:
"NYCC 2017"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, October 16th, 2017
Website Security Test