Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby TK415 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:10 pm

william-james88 wrote:We are all working on the list right now together as we speak :) Nothing is set in stone. But Generations/Classics wouldnt work in this list since the amount of toys which purpusefully are not show accurate outweigh the ones that are, so if we are talking about a line as a whole, it wouldnt make as much sense to include it over another line.


Sounds good. Also, thanks for the clarification, makes sense for what I wrote, turns out we are on the same page, I double posted because I thought I hit edit, and I thought that I wrote that Gen reinvented characters so much so that line wouldn't work. I think I was thinking that if there was some sub line that did a good job, that I wouldn't want to leave them out, and used Cyclonus as an example.

This list is looking pretty strong

Top 5 Most Screen Accurate Transformers Toy Lines

5. Transformers Prime
4. Transformers Beast Wars Transmetals
3. Transformers Masterpiece
2. Transformers Animated
1. Transformers Cybertron (I would call these different lines.)
TK415
Fuzor
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby ExciKaiser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 am

william-james88 wrote:Excellent idea. But that means I will end up using Beast machines tankor again for the 100th time :lol: Razorclaw/Tigerhawk comes to mind too. That would also finally be the place to put that first movie Leader Optimus. Thats 3 down, who else would I include :-?


- G1 Jetfire, if not the winner.
- Prime Magnus (the first version)
- Beast hunters as a whole/
My Collection - Transformers Go Combiner Teams onboard !
Image
Looking for the claw-shield-gun which comes with Magna convoy.
User avatar
ExciKaiser
Vehicon
Posts: 382
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: France
Buy from ExciKaiser on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby william-james88 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

ExciKaiser wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Excellent idea. But that means I will end up using Beast machines tankor again for the 100th time :lol: Razorclaw/Tigerhawk comes to mind too. That would also finally be the place to put that first movie Leader Optimus. Thats 3 down, who else would I include :-?


- G1 Jetfire, if not the winner.
- Prime Magnus (the first version)
- Beast hunters as a whole/

jetfire again, wow, he too is in a ton of lists I have so far.

But I think this is really indicative of great designs we have had over the years. If a toy is good, regardless of whether or not it is show accurate, it will be rememberd and loved. hence why so many of these toys already made my lists.

Prime Magnus wouldnt make it though, I have never seen love for that toy. I saw it for the Cyberverse version only, since they share the same engineering and its far more impressive at the cyberverse scale while the voyager feels like they just oversized the smaller one . I know I personally really dislike that toy and it sold very poorly in Japan.

But you are definitely onto something with the Beast Hunters line though I dont know where to fit it. Those toys are not necessarily innacurate, they are just versions of characters we never saw. Like Transmetal Rhinox. At that point its not that different than listing toys of characters that were never seen on the show.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 19908
News Credits: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby ExciKaiser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 pm

william-james88 wrote:jetfire again, wow, he too is in a ton of lists I have so far.

But I think this is really indicative of great designs we have had over the years. If a toy is good, regardless of whether or not it is show accurate, it will be rememberd and loved.


Too bad it's not a Hasbro/Takara one Image

But I still think if you do this list, it should wins, because where all the others are inaccurate because of artistic adaptations etc, this one was inuccurate in the show on purpose. Nothing can beat that.
My Collection - Transformers Go Combiner Teams onboard !
Image
Looking for the claw-shield-gun which comes with Magna convoy.
User avatar
ExciKaiser
Vehicon
Posts: 382
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: France
Buy from ExciKaiser on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby TK415 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 pm

william-james88 wrote:
ExciKaiser wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Excellent idea. But that means I will end up using Beast machines tankor again for the 100th time :lol: Razorclaw/Tigerhawk comes to mind too. That would also finally be the place to put that first movie Leader Optimus. Thats 3 down, who else would I include :-?


- G1 Jetfire, if not the winner.
- Prime Magnus (the first version)
- Beast hunters as a whole/

jetfire again, wow, he too is in a ton of lists I have so far.

But I think this is really indicative of great designs we have had over the years. If a toy is good, regardless of whether or not it is show accurate, it will be rememberd and loved. hence why so many of these toys already made my lists.

Prime Magnus wouldnt make it though, I have never seen love for that toy. I saw it for the Cyberverse version only, since they share the same engineering and its far more impressive at the cyberverse scale while the voyager feels like they just oversized the smaller one . I know I personally really dislike that toy and it sold very poorly in Japan.

But you are definitely onto something with the Beast Hunters line though I dont know where to fit it. Those toys are not necessarily innacurate, they are just versions of characters we never saw. Like Transmetal Rhinox. At that point its not that different than listing toys of characters that were never seen on the show.

Hey guys,
WJ, If you find a few toys are on too many lists then maybe count them as a number where you think they rank, like #3 on the list, write a brief reason, and then make it a top 6 list to show some other toys. I remember you putting in links on a list before, like Tankor to the other lists where Tankor showed up. Just brainstorming here, might not be a good idea, but it is a way to respect and appreciate a toy but if they show up too much then we keep it brief and give the spotlight to some others.
TK415
Fuzor
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby ExciKaiser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Or in the contrary, made a top5 of most mentionned TF in other top5 Image
My Collection - Transformers Go Combiner Teams onboard !
Image
Looking for the claw-shield-gun which comes with Magna convoy.
User avatar
ExciKaiser
Vehicon
Posts: 382
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: France
Buy from ExciKaiser on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby william-james88 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:39 pm

ExciKaiser wrote:Or in the contrary, made a top5 of most mentionned TF in other top5 Image

:lol: I think I would seem a bit too full of myself. Maybe when we are past the 100 mark but not yet.

And I wouldnt want to deny the rightful place of a toy on a list just because he has already been mentioned. Good toys will get mentionned more, its how it goes. But for now instead of just going for the obvious, I need to think of some toys that were not show accurate but rocked none the less. I am sure there are a ton more we are not thinking of. Beast Machines Nightslash Cheetor for instance.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 19908
News Credits: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby Black Hat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 am

Motto: "Destroy, Devour, Desolate!"
Weapon: Chomping Rotor Blades
A few I can think of...

MP-03 Starscream (the original releases). Not at all accurate, especially in the greenish-grey, but the jet mode is gorgeous and it's the most stable of all the MP Seekers.

BW Megatron (the original). Wrong colour and lots of design differences from the show model, but still an amazing figure.

BM Obsidian. It deviates fairly heavily from the actual show model, but the toy is still pretty cool. I'd argue the rotor-fans are much cooler than the show's diddy little propellers.
User avatar
Black Hat
City Commander
Posts: 3979
News Credits: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 am
Location: 199X
Alt Mode: Swarm of Locusts
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: N/A
Courage: ???
Firepower: N/A
Skill: 1

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby Black Hat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:20 am

Motto: "Destroy, Devour, Desolate!"
Weapon: Chomping Rotor Blades
Oh, and top 5/10 off screen BW toys is a great idea. I can vouch for Transmetal Waspinator as an amazing figure, I'd certainly recommend him. His robot mode, kibbly though it is, has a Seeker vibe about it, the wasp mode is delightful and his jet mode is actually cool!
User avatar
Black Hat
City Commander
Posts: 3979
News Credits: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 am
Location: 199X
Alt Mode: Swarm of Locusts
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: N/A
Courage: ???
Firepower: N/A
Skill: 1

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby Kurona » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:39 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
While it's subjective, I think we need to make allowances for what's "screen-accurate" or not since there's differences between how a figure and their show counterpart look all the time aside from the likes of Cybertron and Energon. The original BW Megatron is still very, very accurate to how he looked in the show -- I think we should be looking for figures with extremely different visual cues and characteristics to the show/character models to the point of not really looking alike. G1 Jetfire and BM Obsidian are excellent examples of this.

It of course gets a bit harder when it comes to borderline cases like 2007 Movie Optimus -- a lot of the similar cues are still there, and it's obvious it's still meant to be a representation of that character even if it fails in certain areas. That's the sort of thing that I'd put in honourable mentions and/or should be up to the discretion of the list maker imo.
Complete and utter IDW DOOP-onwards Transformers fangirl. Also loves Beast Wars, Animated, TFP and that one TFCC story that made Alpha Bravo and Offroad great

Image
User avatar
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 7876
News Credits: 73
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Rank: 8
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby william-james88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 am

Black Hat wrote:A few I can think of...

MP-03 Starscream (the original releases). Not at all accurate, especially in the greenish-grey, but the jet mode is gorgeous and it's the most stable of all the MP Seekers.

BW Megatron (the original). Wrong colour and lots of design differences from the show model, but still an amazing figure.

BM Obsidian. It deviates fairly heavily from the actual show model, but the toy is still pretty cool. I'd argue the rotor-fans are much cooler than the show's diddy little propellers.

OOuuuu that MP 03 Starscream is an excellent idea. Definitely gonna be there.
And MW Megatron is the wrong colour? He might be but I never really felt that. I remember getting him for christmas and thinking he was prety spot on aside from the weird mask and lack of a left hand.

I will look into Obsidian, thanks for the tip!

Black Hat wrote:Oh, and top 5/10 off screen BW toys is a great idea. I can vouch for Transmetal Waspinator as an amazing figure, I'd certainly recommend him. His robot mode, kibbly though it is, has a Seeker vibe about it, the wasp mode is delightful and his jet mode is actually cool!


That list is trickier than I thought since quite a few that I would have mentioned did get included in the Japanese cartoons.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 19908
News Credits: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby Kurona » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
TR Nautica might also be a decent pick for the list. She doesn't look like her comic counterpart at all aside from the arm kibble and the face - and even then it's missing a lot of important things like the flip-down visor - but it's made from the excellent Blurr mold and it still looks cool.

I'm also gonna go ahead and nominate the TR Astrotrain/Sentinel Prime mold! A lot of people complained that his alt-modes didn't look like his alt-modes, but they're still bloody cool and it's still a bloody cool toy.

Then again would this list be going by the "made during the time the show/comic was still ongoing" thing that the most-accurate list would be going by?
Complete and utter IDW DOOP-onwards Transformers fangirl. Also loves Beast Wars, Animated, TFP and that one TFCC story that made Alpha Bravo and Offroad great

Image
User avatar
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 7876
News Credits: 73
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Rank: 8
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby Black Hat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 am

Motto: "Destroy, Devour, Desolate!"
Weapon: Chomping Rotor Blades
Yeah, that's a good point actually. Still, most of the Transmetals and Transmetal 2s didn't get used in Japan (at least as far as I know) so there is that. Also, if we want to get technical, most of the offscreen characters that got used in BWII/Neo were either redecoed for the show or later got redecos that weren't used in any fiction (at least, at the time).

Whilst I can't really speak for them as I don't own them, some I'd recommend would be:
Injector (because LIONFISH HORNET)
Scavenger (because his ant mode rocks, his robot mode is pure evil and his vehicle mode...well, his vehicle mode is a washout but it's not really necessary)
Buzzclaw (also available in a variety of really cool colours- collect them all!)
Sea Clamp (I have handled a junker Sea Clamp and he's a pretty cool toy. plus he looks absolutely nothing like his show model so I think we can excuse him. Alternatively go for Tripredacus himself as I hear that for his age he's a solid combiner and never appeared in the cartoon)
Most of the "offscreen" Transmetal versions of onscreen characters, if that counts? Waspinator as mentioned before is a fun little figure.
Transquito (for being the single most absolutely terrifying Transformer toy ever made)
User avatar
Black Hat
City Commander
Posts: 3979
News Credits: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 am
Location: 199X
Alt Mode: Swarm of Locusts
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: N/A
Courage: ???
Firepower: N/A
Skill: 1

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby william-james88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am

Kurona wrote:TR Nautica might also be a decent pick for the list. She doesn't look like her comic counterpart at all aside from the arm kibble and the face - and even then it's missing a lot of important things like the flip-down visor - but it's made from the excellent Blurr mold and it still looks cool.

I'm also gonna go ahead and nominate the TR Astrotrain/Sentinel Prime mold! A lot of people complained that his alt-modes didn't look like his alt-modes, but they're still bloody cool and it's still a bloody cool toy.

Then again would this list be going by the "made during the time the show/comic was still ongoing" thing that the most-accurate list would be going by?


We kinda nixed that and chose to not make it only about toys released during the show. Because in the end I realized it didnt matter. Especially when show accuracy is a reverse engineered concept since all toys before 2007 were made before the character models. So since the causality of what contributes to the toy switches around, its not fair either way. And thus an MP which is based on a now existing show model would be on equal footing as a First Edition Optimus Prime toy or an Animated Ultra Magnus which is also based on an existng model.

Not sure about nautica since she's a retool. its not like they had her in mind principally when making that mold as opposed to others, like Astrotrain for instance, which is an excellent example. This list is haping up well.

Ummm... TR Astrotrain, Universe tankor, G1 Jetfire, MP 03 Starscream, BW Tigerhawk and Movie 1 leader Prime. I think we got a top 5 and an honourable mention right here. Now time for me to rank em and write it up!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 19908
News Credits: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby william-james88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:09 am

Black Hat wrote:Alternatively go for Tripredacus himself as I hear that for his age he's a solid combiner and never appeared in the cartoon)

Oh ****! Thats my number 1 right there for the other non show accurate list. Kurona might get her wish of seeing Movie 1 Prime in the honourable mentions.

So glad we can have these discussions, it really helps me not forget characters that might be obvious to others.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 19908
News Credits: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby william-james88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:42 pm

I will have to go back on my word for Astrotrain. The toys dont have to come out at the same time as the show they are based on but they have to be based on a character (or vice versa with character model based on toy). And Astrotrain thus doesnt work because if we can include a classics toy, then the list becomes no different than "top 5 CHUG toys" since all of them are meant to be updates in designs and thus different from the character models. And thats not what this is about really, at least not to me. It has to be a show based toy, and Astrotrain aint that.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 19908
News Credits: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby Kurona » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Fair, fair. I think at some point though we should do a CHUG version of the list since a lot of the designs before Thrilling 30 deviated so far from the source material but were so cool and unique in their own way. Sunstreaker, Tankor, Megatron, Grimlock... not to mention some figures after that point; like the aforementioned TR triple changers.
Complete and utter IDW DOOP-onwards Transformers fangirl. Also loves Beast Wars, Animated, TFP and that one TFCC story that made Alpha Bravo and Offroad great

Image
User avatar
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 7876
News Credits: 73
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Rank: 8
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Re: Master List for Top 5 Best Transformers Lists (first post always updated)

Postby william-james88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Kurona wrote:Fair, fair. I think at some point though we should do a CHUG version of the list since a lot of the designs before Thrilling 30 deviated so far from the source material but were so cool and unique in their own way. Sunstreaker, Tankor, Megatron, Grimlock... not to mention some figures after that point; like the aforementioned TR triple changers.

But I dont see them that different to post thrilling 30. That CW Megatron looks nothing like any version we had before either. its just as much a new take as Clasics Megatron. Same thing with CW Prime, motormaster, dragstrip, trailbreaker, prowl, Blackjack, warpath, Starscream and so many others. Starscream looks more like a style before thrilling 30 than the actual classics toy we got before thrilling 30 which was closer to g1.

All in all, I do not believe the aesthetic or idea about updating concepts has changed from when the line first began. They are all updates, but some are closer to their G1 selves than others and those few have been found all throughout the varying lines encompassing CHUG (also, CHUG includes Generations, which is still ongoing).

I am better off doing a list of top 5 for each line, which I am already doing for Combiner Wars. Top 5 thrilling 30 toys would be pretty good, same for top 5 FOR/WFC toys. Oh, I just realized I wouldnt want to write that last list, aside from like 2 toys I really dont like the rest.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 19908
News Credits: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Previous

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Universe Classics Autobot Hound Action Figure Extremely Rare w/ Gun - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 20 minutes 2 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Devastator Brand New Sealed - Time Remaining: 18 days 14 hours 20 minutes 26 seconds
Playskool Heroes 10" Salvage Transformers Rescue Bots 2014 Hasbro C-023E sealed - Time Remaining: 1 day 12 hours 26 minutes 9 seconds
Transformers Generations Skywarp and Thundercracker - Time Remaining: 2 days 13 hours 28 minutes 4 seconds
SDCC Exclusive 2016 GI Joe Transformers Scarlett Vs. Zartan Soundwave Set HASBRO - Time Remaining: 2 days 3 hours 29 minutes 47 seconds
Transformers hunt for the decipticons hftd Voyager highbrow Misb rare lot - Time Remaining: 7 days 11 hours 33 minutes 9 seconds
Transformers Dark of the moon DOTM Human alliance roadbuster  Lot - Time Remaining: 7 days 19 hours 34 minutes 19 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Generations - GDO - Voyager, Megatron Action Figure - Time Remaining: 2 days 15 hours 34 minutes 27 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent
Twincast / Podcast #188:
"Mutinous Intent"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 13th, 2017