New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Shuttershock wrote:At this point, I think we can really take or leave the Aligned model. Aside from Cliff's horns and Bee's disappearing voice, there's very little to connect the games to Prime.
Uh...

Image
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35570
News Credits: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Seibertron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Sabrblade wrote:
Shuttershock wrote:At this point, I think we can really take or leave the Aligned model. Aside from Cliff's horns and Bee's disappearing voice, there's very little to connect the games to Prime.
Uh...

Image


Like he said, there's very little to connect the games to Prime. That series seemed extremely forced. Now, had Arcee, Prime or any of the other characters appeared in that series alongside the Dinobots and had one of the Dinobots (namely Grimlock) had gone on to season 3 to battle Predaking, it'd be a different story and I'd be commending them for the effort. But without that, this just ranks slightly above fan-fiction in my book.
Image
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 13345
News Credits: 3505
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Shuttershock wrote:At this point, I think we can really take or leave the Aligned model. Aside from Cliff's horns and Bee's disappearing voice, there's very little to connect the games to Prime.
Uh...

Image


Show me the Dinobots IN a Prime episode and that has bearing with me.
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
It's Hasbro's fault for granting so much leeway and creative freedom to each individual branch instead of picking one design aesthetic and asking each branch to kindly stick to that.

But hey, just goes to show how little Hasbro cares about visual consistency compared to how much the fans do.

At least they all got Cybertron's Core and the Nemesis looking them same across the board:
Image
Image

Image
Image

It's obvious that they wanted them to all be the same story, but the variety of looks have put off many to the very idea.

And yet, Beast Machines and G1 have staggeringly different aesthetics yet so many will argue to the grave that those two are connected.

From a storytelling perspective, it was a bad idea for Hasbro to first give us WFC and then Prime immediately after. Doing that was the equivalent of watching Beast Machines immediately after the first three episodes of G1.

If they could just publish that Binder of Revelation of theirs (cuz that Covenant of Primus book was hardly an acceptable substitute), fans could consider that the true canon of Aligned and discard all other games, books, cartoons, comics, etc. (WFC/FOC and Prime included in that mass discarding).
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35570
News Credits: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Sabrblade wrote:It's Hasbro's fault for granting so much leeway and creative freedom to each individual branch instead of picking one design aesthetic and asking each branch to kindly stick to that.

But hey, just goes to show how little Hasbro cares about visual consistency compared to how much the fans do.

At least they all got Cybertron's Core and the Nemesis looking them same across the board:
Image
Image

Image
Image

It's obvious that they wanted them to all be the same story, but the variety of looks have put off many to the very idea.

And yet, Beast Machines and G1 have staggeringly different aesthetics yet so many will argue to the grave that those two are connected.

From a storytelling perspective, it was a bad idea for Hasbro to first give us WFC and then Prime immediately after. Doing that was the equivalent of watching Beast Machines immediately after the first three episodes of G1.

If they could just publish that Binder of Revelation of theirs (cuz that Covenant of Primus book was hardly an acceptable substitute), fans could consider that the true canon of Aligned and discard all other games, books, cartoons, comics, etc. (WFC/FOC and Prime included in that mass discarding).


The design incongruities are what amounts to a circle jerk in the Aligned world. WFC had a planet core, Prime copied that core design. Prime had the Nemesis and CJ's horns, FOC took those aspects.

It's just irritating that these stories, good and and bad in their own ways, would be shoehorned together by executive mandate. See also "Rise of the Dark Spark", which amounts to a cheap knock off Cybertron game being forcibly lashed to the movie universe in spite of drastically different art styles and directions.
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Seibertron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Sabrblade wrote:And yet, Beast Machines and G1 have staggeringly different aesthetics yet so many will argue to the grave that those two are connected.


That's an interesting point ... one of which I'm sure there are many fans who equally despise the fact that Beast Machines is the swan song to G1. I could care less either way. At the time, it was really nice to see the Beast Wars era tie-in with G1. There had never been a precedent of multi-universes in the world of Transformers yet so it made sense at the time, hence the acceptance of many fans. But these days, with so many multi-universes of Transformers that if Hasbro says "this is all the same continuity", they had better dot their i's and cross their t's. Otherwise, it's just back to basics with fans connecting the dots.

Hasbro needs a story editor who oversees all of the different iterations of the Transformers and does their damnedest to make everything flow together that is supposed to.
Image
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 13345
News Credits: 3505
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Shuttershock wrote:See also "Rise of the Dark Spark", which amounts to a cheap knock off Cybertron game being forcibly lashed to the movie universe in spite of drastically different art styles and directions.
At leat that game has the benefit of keeping WFC/FOC and AOE as separate alternate universes rather than foolishly putting them together.

That game even had G1 as another separate world from the G1-inspired WFC/FOC, so even regardless of whether or not WFC/FOC was a part of Aligned, Rise of the Dark Spark hammers in the fact that WFC/FOC is a different reality from G1.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35570
News Credits: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Seibertron wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:And yet, Beast Machines and G1 have staggeringly different aesthetics yet so many will argue to the grave that those two are connected.


That's an interesting point ... one of which I'm sure there are many fans who equally despise the fact that Beast Machines is the swan song to G1. I could care less either way. At the time, it was really nice to see the Beast Wars era tie-in with G1. There had never been a precedent of multi-universes in the world of Transformers yet so it made sense at the time, hence the acceptance of many fans. But these days, with so many multi-universes of Transformers that if Hasbro says "this is all the same continuity", they had better dot their i's and cross their t's. Otherwise, it's just back to basics with fans connecting the dots.

Hasbro needs a story editor who oversees all of the different iterations of the Transformers and does their damnedest to make everything flow together that is supposed to.


Captain John Barberosa of the Good Ship Continuity, perhaps?

Image
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Seibertron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Sabrblade wrote:
Shuttershock wrote:See also "Rise of the Dark Spark", which amounts to a cheap knock off Cybertron game being forcibly lashed to the movie universe in spite of drastically different art styles and directions.
At leat that game has the benefit of keeping WFC/FOC and AOE as separate alternate universes rather than foolishly putting them together.

That game even had G1 as another separate world from the G1-inspired WFC/FOC, so even regardless of whether or not WFC/FOC was a part of Aligned, Rise of the Dark Spark hammers in the fact that WFC/FOC is a different reality from G1.


It seemed pretty obvious to me that FOC ended right where the G1 cartoon should have started. I thought for sure that in 2014 we'd have gotten a FOC sequel to commemorate the 30th anniversary complete with true-blue 30th anniversary toys ala Masters of the Universe Classics that would have been basically retail versions of Masterpiece figures but with modern looking vehicles. Apparently my pipe dream was wrong!
Image
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 13345
News Credits: 3505
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Seibertron wrote:Hasbro needs a story editor who oversees all of the different iterations of the Transformers and does their damnedest to make everything flow together that is supposed to.
I agree with this, but... sadly, Hasbro just doesn't care as much as we do. "Continuity" to Hasbro means what "Continuity Family" means to us.

However, let me ask you this. Would you have been more accepting to the idea of Prime and WFC being related if we started with WFC first, then got more media that continued onward from where WFC left off, with all of the fiction being released in chronological order, and then several years later, after a LARGE amount of the story had been told (the launch from Cybertron, the space-faring plant-hopping journey, the long-awaited arrival on Earth, the establishing of the Autobot's Earth base, etc.), we then got finally Prime, at which point we would have seen the evolution of aesthetics from G1-based to Movie/Animated-based occur over time (as we did with G1 --> Beast Wars --> Beast Machines)... instead of how we got the two as we did with us jumping from WFC straight into Prime?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35570
News Credits: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Heckfire » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Motto: "Nothing is impossible, just improbable."
Weapon: "Claw" Flame-Throwers
...wow, what a surprise, more "Alligned" so-called continuity that contradicts itself, I am so shocked...*yawn*
"Grab a shovel, I'm one skull away from a Mouseketeer reunion." - Bender
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy...all right, give me the bomb." —Ultra Magnus
Image
You got WRECK-ROLLED!
Heckfire
Vehicon
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:37 am
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 4
Rank: 1
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Hasbro needs a story editor who oversees all of the different iterations of the Transformers and does their damnedest to make everything flow together that is supposed to.
I agree with this, but... sadly, Hasbro just doesn't care as much as we do. "Continuity" to Hasbro means what "Continuity Family" means to us.

However, let me ask you this. Would you have been more accepting to the idea of Prime and WFC being related if we started with WFC first, then got more media that continued onward from where WFC left off, with all of the fiction being released in chronological order, and then several years later, after a LARGE amount of the story had been told, we got finally Prime, at which point we would have seen the evolution of aesthetics from G1-based to Movie/Animated-based occur over time (as we did with G1 --> Beast Wars --> Beast Machines)... instead of how we got them with us jumping from WFC straight into Prime?


If it means a proper evolution of characters over time and a seeing the stories of people we grow to love (and hate) go all the way to the end, then absolutely yes. But you'd almost have to stick to one medium to do that.

To me, the problem of aligned universes across multiple forms of media is that you might not get the whole story if you ONLY play games or ONLY watch the show or ONLY read the comics. And because of the different demographics and tones of each medium (not to mention development time), there will certainly be inconsistencies between the characters.
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Seibertron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Sabrblade wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Hasbro needs a story editor who oversees all of the different iterations of the Transformers and does their damnedest to make everything flow together that is supposed to.
I agree with this, but... sadly, Hasbro just doesn't care as much as we do. "Continuity" to Hasbro means what "Continuity Family" means to us.

However, let me ask you this. Would you have been more accepting to the idea of Prime and WFC being related if we started with WFC first, then got more media that continued onward from where WFC left off, with all of the fiction being released in chronological order, and then several years later, after a LARGE amount of the story had been told (the launch from Cybertron, the space-faring plant-hopping journey, the long-awaited arrival on Earth, the establishing of the Autobot's Earth base, etc.), we then got finally Prime, at which point we would have seen the evolution of aesthetics from G1-based to Movie/Animated-based occur over time (as we did with G1 --> Beast Wars --> Beast Machines)... instead of how we got the two as we did with us jumping from WFC straight into Prime?


That sounds less appealing to me. I'm just not into WFC/FOC being part of Transformers Prime. It was unnecessary. WFC/FOC should have given G1 fans a modern retelling of G1 that could have tied in with IDW if it had to tie in with something (or just let fans use their imaginations to what it ties in with) or just kept it as a background story for G1 cartoon which we hadn't gotten that much of in the past (but that would've meant rewriting major parts of WFC/FOC or retconning parts of G1 which fans would have complained about as well, hence the idea of working it into IDW universe where those issues could be dealt with easily. That would have been wonderful, could have tied in with the current Generations toy line, kept similar aesthetics, and probably have been much more accepted. But to try to force WFC/FOC into Prime instead of a G1 Universe just has seemed silly since day one to me. Mind you, WFC/FOC was rolled out before the new Hasbro team came onboard so the idea of working with IDW to come up with ways to tie in Generations just wasn't around (even though I'd been saying it since day one of Classics toys and IDW comics).
Image
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 13345
News Credits: 3505
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Seibertron wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Hasbro needs a story editor who oversees all of the different iterations of the Transformers and does their damnedest to make everything flow together that is supposed to.
I agree with this, but... sadly, Hasbro just doesn't care as much as we do. "Continuity" to Hasbro means what "Continuity Family" means to us.

However, let me ask you this. Would you have been more accepting to the idea of Prime and WFC being related if we started with WFC first, then got more media that continued onward from where WFC left off, with all of the fiction being released in chronological order, and then several years later, after a LARGE amount of the story had been told (the launch from Cybertron, the space-faring plant-hopping journey, the long-awaited arrival on Earth, the establishing of the Autobot's Earth base, etc.), we then got finally Prime, at which point we would have seen the evolution of aesthetics from G1-based to Movie/Animated-based occur over time (as we did with G1 --> Beast Wars --> Beast Machines)... instead of how we got the two as we did with us jumping from WFC straight into Prime?


That sounds less appealing to me. I'm just not into WFC/FOC being part of Transformers Prime. It was unnecessary. They should have used WFC/FOC to give G1 fans a modern retelling of G1 that should have tied in with IDW. That would have been wonderful, could have tied in with the current Generations toy line, kept similar aesthetics, and probably have been much more accepted. But to try to force WFC/FOC into Prime instead of a G1 Universe just has seemed silly since day one to me. Mind you, WFC/FOC was rolled out before the new Hasbro team came onboard so the idea of working with IDW to come up with ways to tie in Generations just wasn't around (even though I'd been saying it since day one of Classics toys and IDW comics).


Funny that, especially when WFC Prime, Megs, BB and Soundwave were all made Generations figures, and were some of the best designs in that early line.
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Autobot032 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:05 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Seibertron wrote:It's like Hasbro's right on the very edge of getting "it" and just won't reach over and grab it. So, it doesn't surprise me if they made the aligned continuity a mess. I'd hate to be the guy they hire to come in with a catch all story that goes back and fixes everything and ties up all the loose ends, that would be a hellish job.


I think you hit the nail on the head here. I'm sure some employees at Hasbro do get it. The problem is that Hasbro's got a marketing department, a sales department, a bunch of white shirts, a development team in the US and in Japan, and everyone has their own ideas of what needs to happen to make this brand make money. I think what we ultimately end up seeing at retail with the finished products are a lot of compromises to make all of the different departments and people at the company happy and employed in these crazy times where there is so much to compete with Transformers besides transforming robots like there were back in the 80s.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9051
News Credits: 668
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:16 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Shuttershock wrote:If it means a proper evolution of characters over time and a seeing the stories of people we grow to love (and hate) go all the way to the end, then absolutely yes. But you'd almost have to stick to one medium to do that.

To me, the problem of aligned universes across multiple forms of media is that you might not get the whole story if you ONLY play games or ONLY watch the show or ONLY read the comics. And because of the different demographics and tones of each medium (not to mention development time), there will certainly be inconsistencies between the characters.
The multiple mediums thing did make it difficult to follow, which goes to show how ambitious and confident Hasbro felt in the whole thing, believing fans would be willing to play all of the games, watch all the shows, read all the books, follow all the comics, etc. Evidently, though, their expectations were too high, and ironically almost none of the people behind this whole project are even at Hasbro anymore.

But, from a business standpoint, it made sense for them to want to broaden their horizons rather than stifle themselves into just one or two mediums. It's just that not every fan was willing to goal along with their visions and goals for a multimedia world. And sadly, that unwillingness seems to fit within the same mindset as those fans who look down upon new and different ideas that steer the brand further away from its G1 roots, and that mindset can simply be summed up as this: "The Transformers fandom is resistent to 'change'."

Think about it. Every time Hasbro or Takara does something that pays homage to the past (like the G1-based Generations or Masterpieces, or the occasional Beast Wars or Unicron Trilogy nod), they get praised for it. But every time something new and strikingly different from G1 enters the scene (like Beast Wars at first, Beast Machines still, Animated, the movies, Prime, or the upcoming RID series), it receives far less praise and more ridicule than the aforementioned tributes to the past do.

Take Prime Wheeljack, for instance. When asked by the Prime creators which character they could use for a Wrecker/warrior type, Hasbro said Wheeljack. It was a new take on an older concept that was redone from the ground up, minus his visual look being a decent throwback to the original. Yet, just because he wasn't exactly like G1 Wheeljack in personality, he got bashed by a huge amount of the fandom that also wrongfully accused him of being a knockoff of G1 Drift (which is completely ludicrous since Drift was never a Wrecker nor had any real personality whatsoever at that point, unlike Wheeljack who was oozing with personality) and wrote off the character simply for his being different.

Bottom line, a large part of the fandom is stuck in the past while Hasbro wants to keep moving forward. That's partly why Hasbro keeps showing resistance to making a new G1 cartoon or a new G1-based movie, leaving only things like comics and video games being allowed to rehash G1. Hasbro very obviously is trying to get away from G1 in their most mainstream media, though being willing enough to throw in some nods and small homages here and there, but more willing to make things look and be new and distinct on their own, without having to constantly fall back on the decades-old media.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35570
News Credits: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby K2vox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Motto: "If you don't believe in the ridiculous absurdity of your genius, than who else will?"
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
those stickers or tampo sigils are fugly barf.. :SICK: :SICK: :SICK: how did they think that would look good. I like the design though. Is it really too hard to give these guys elbow joints though? They'd rock with those. I do want to get the small legion class ones though if they have a complete set of the show to go along with my prime verse, but I'm not spending money on them if it's incomplete and I'm not buying the bigger ones.

:BOT:
K2vox
Micromaster
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: California
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 4
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Flashwave » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Ah, Continuity...

The thing to be kept in mind, I think, is that all of these stories were written independently and simultaneously by different people and companies. You'll never iron out inconsistancies, becase High Moon, IDW, and the Prime producers (who was that?) were not all talking to each other, and Hasbro was not leaning over their shoulders telling them what to write.

In general, that seems to be the preferred way, or that's the impression I am getting. Hasbro lays out the basics in the Production Bibles, and then like kids on Christmas, tells the writing staff to "Go Play", hoping maybe to spark ifferent imaginatiions and play patterns. Maybe their being too lassiaz-faire (my apologies to the French for butchering that) but it seems like I've read on here about other toylines/manufacturers controlling the story too much that the writing comes out robotic.
Image
User avatar
Flashwave
City Commander
Posts: 3425
News Credits: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:42 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Shuttershock wrote:If it means a proper evolution of characters over time and a seeing the stories of people we grow to love (and hate) go all the way to the end, then absolutely yes. But you'd almost have to stick to one medium to do that.

To me, the problem of aligned universes across multiple forms of media is that you might not get the whole story if you ONLY play games or ONLY watch the show or ONLY read the comics. And because of the different demographics and tones of each medium (not to mention development time), there will certainly be inconsistencies between the characters.
The multiple mediums thing did make it difficult to follow, which goes to show how ambitious and confident Hasbro felt in the whole thing, believing fans would be willing to play all of the games, watch all the shows, read all the books, follow all the comics, etc. Evidently, though, their expectations were too high, and ironically almost none of the people behind this whole project are even at Hasbro anymore.

But, from a business standpoint, it made sense for them to want to broaden their horizons rather than stifle themselves into just one or two mediums. It's just that not every fan was willing to goal along with their visions and goals for a multimedia world. And sadly, that unwillingness seems to fit within the same mindset as those fans who look down upon new and different ideas that steer the brand further away from its G1 roots, and that mindset can simply be summed up as this: "The Transformers fandom is resistent to 'change'."

Think about it. Every time Hasbro or Takara does something that pays homage to the past (like the G1-based Generations or Masterpieces, or the occasional Beast Wars or Unicron Trilogy nod), they get praised for it. But every time something new and strikingly different from G1 enters the scene (like Beast Wars at first, Beast Machines still, Animated, the movies, Prime, or the upcoming RID series), it receives far less praise and more ridicule than the aforementioned tributes to the past do.

Take Prime Wheeljack, for instance. When asked by the Prime creators which character they could use for a Wrecker/warrior type, Hasbro said Wheeljack. It was a new take on an older concept that was redone from the ground up, minus his visual look being a decent throwback to the original. Yet, just because he wasn't exactly like G1 Wheeljack in personality, he got bashed by a huge amount of the fandom that also wrongfully accused him of being a knockoff of G1 Drift (which is completely ludicrous since Drift was never a Wrecker nor had any real personality whatsoever at that point, unlike Wheeljack who was oozing with personality) and wrote off the character simply for his being different.

Bottom line, a large part of the fandom is stuck in the past while Hasbro wants to keep moving forward. That's partly why Hasbro keeps showing resistance to making a new G1 cartoon or a new G1-based movie, leaving only things like comics and video games being allowed to rehash G1. Hasbro very obviously is trying to get away from G1 in their most mainstream media, though being willing enough to throw in some nods and small homages here and there, but more willing to make things look and be new and distinct on their own, without having to constantly fall back on the decades-old media.


You make a lot of good points. I grew up on Beast Wars, Machines and Armada, so I'm kind of adrift with styles and willing to let artistic choices be fluid. Nowadays I'm more of a story/character hound, so style is less important than substance. I don't like the movies because I don't feel the characters or their struggles have depth. Animated has great storylines once you get past the pallet and some of the rougher elements. I didn't like Prime Wheeljack because he's was a smug unbeatable loner, but those were his character flaws to overcome or not.

I'm not calling you out or saying you're wrong, just giving you the perspective of a fan not tied to G1 or resistant to the prospect of change.
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Shuttershock wrote:You make a lot of good points. I grew up on Beast Wars, Machines and Armada, so I'm kind of adrift with styles and willing to let artistic choices be fluid. Nowadays I'm more of a story/character hound, so style is less important than substance. I don't like the movies because I don't feel the characters or their struggles have depth. Animated has great storylines once you get past the pallet and some of the rougher elements. I didn't like Prime Wheeljack because he's was a smug unbeatable loner, but those were his character flaws to overcome or not.

I'm not calling you out or saying you're wrong, just giving you the perspective of a fan not tied to G1 or resistant to the prospect of change.
And I'm right there with ya on just about all those points (save for Prime Wheeljack, as I did like him and he did overcome those definite character flaws). It just pains me to see how much of this fandom is so grounded in G1 that all else less appealing (not completely unappealing, but still inferior to a degree). It honestly makes me wonder how different things would be if Classics, Universe (2008), and Generations (and by extension, a huge amount of third parties) never existed, as I honestly feel as though those lines have played a huge part in keeping the brand anchored in the past rather than being completely free to sail off on nonstop course into the future.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35570
News Credits: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51 pm

Flashwave wrote:Ah, Continuity...

The thing to be kept in mind, I think, is that all of these stories were written independently and simultaneously by different people and companies. You'll never iron out inconsistancies, becase High Moon, IDW, and the Prime producers (who was that?) were not all talking to each other, and Hasbro was not leaning over their shoulders telling them what to write.

In general, that seems to be the preferred way, or that's the impression I am getting. Hasbro lays out the basics in the Production Bibles, and then like kids on Christmas, tells the writing staff to "Go Play", hoping maybe to spark ifferent imaginatiions and play patterns. Maybe their being too lassiaz-faire (my apologies to the French for butchering that) but it seems like I've read on here about other toylines/manufacturers controlling the story too much that the writing comes out robotic.


I agree with you, but if there's no one trying to keep things in line story/character wise then I'd say they'd be better off considered as independent from one another.
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Shuttershock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Shuttershock wrote:You make a lot of good points. I grew up on Beast Wars, Machines and Armada, so I'm kind of adrift with styles and willing to let artistic choices be fluid. Nowadays I'm more of a story/character hound, so style is less important than substance. I don't like the movies because I don't feel the characters or their struggles have depth. Animated has great storylines once you get past the pallet and some of the rougher elements. I didn't like Prime Wheeljack because he's was a smug unbeatable loner, but those were his character flaws to overcome or not.

I'm not calling you out or saying you're wrong, just giving you the perspective of a fan not tied to G1 or resistant to the prospect of change.
And I'm right there with ya on just about all those points (save for Prime Wheeljack, as I did like him and he did overcome those definite character flaws). It just pains me to see how much of this fandom is so grounded in G1 that all else less appealing (not completely unappealing, but still inferior to a degree). It honestly makes me wonder how different things would be if Classics, Universe (2008), and Generations (and by extension, a huge amount of third parties) never existed, as I honestly feel as though those lines have played a huge part in keeping the brand anchored in the past rather than being completely free to sail off on nonstop course into the future.


True, one man's fond memories are another man's anchor. I don't condemn what CHUG does since at the end of the day they put out (for the most part) solid toys with good engineering and articulation, but that's an interesting thought.

But hey, I'm holding out for a return (comics, shows or otherwise) of Armada Demolishor or Cybertron Thunderblast, so what do I know? If Armada Starscream and RID Sky-Byte can come back in IDW, anything's on the table.
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Seibertron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:29 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
My $40 investment into an early batch of these Tiny Titans has turned into a good investment for our discussion. Thanks everyone for making it worth my while! Love to see all of us discussing our views on all of this. :D
Image
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 13345
News Credits: 3505
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:15 am

Motto: "Contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it."
Seibertron wrote:My $40 investment into an early batch of these Tiny Titans has turned into a good investment for our discussion. Thanks everyone for making it worth my while! Love to see all of us discussing our views on all of this. :D
I didn't participate, but I did learn a few things just reading through. I've been confused by the Aligned stuff since the get-go, perhaps that's why I never got into it much. I never finished either of the games, nor the Prime series. I also thought WFC would be better as a pre-G1 setting, rather than for Prime. I also have the comics mentioned earlier, and I agree that they were rather weak. Nonetheless, they are there, and the aforementioned wish for a person to edit everything together or come in and write some backstory or fill-in to connect all the dots officially, could use that comic story as a basis. But there needs to be a LOT of character development.
.With the left in control, we live in Orwell's 1984,
.only the method of surveillance is social media.
.Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
Posts: 12906
News Credits: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:31 pm

Re: New Galleries: Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015)

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:50 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
In all honesty, I really don't see how WFC/FOC are any more G1-based than some of the other heavily homage-based non-G1 lines like Energon and Animated. Some have even argued that Animated Megatron's Earth Robot Mode looked more like G1 Megatron than WFC Megatron did. The only things about the WFC designs that really look that much directly G1-based to me are most of the head designs and color schemes, the latter of which could even be argued as being much less significant since the aforementioned homage lines already made use of those color schemes to the point that keeping those colors schemes is hardly worth mentioning anymore (and only becomes noticeable with a G1-named character appears in a series in which it doesn't use the G1 deco, like Movie Ironhide being black or Prime Arcee being blue).

So really, it's the just heads that look directly G1-based, and not even all of them.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35570
News Credits: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Blitzwing and Decepticon Hazard" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #284 - Welcome to 2010
Twincast / Podcast #284:
"Welcome to 2010"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, September 12th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers AOE Age of Extinction - FIRST EDITION OPTIMUS PRIME Leader Class" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Generations Fall Of Cybertron FOC Voyager Class Blaster MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Universal Studios Exclusive Transformers The Ride Evac Autobot New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Lot of 4 Transformers BOTBOTS Series 3 & 4 HALLOWEEN Pumpkin Seasons Greeters" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters OPTIMUS PRIME Voyager NEW MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Fall Of Cybertron Generations starscream skywarp and thundercracker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots - Brushfire converts between Robot and Forest ATV" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Blaster Voyager Class Fall of Cybertron Generations Toy New" on EBAY