This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Masterpiece Grimlock Available On TRU.com, Priced At $79.99

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Masterpiece Grimlock Available On TRU.com, Priced At $79.99

Postby Megatron Wolf » Fri May 30, 2014 1:12 am

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
what the hell i thought he was $60, i passed on him the first time cause of the high price point & it looks like ill be doing it once again. I knew TRU didnt come to their senses their just a greedy as hasbro. And just a few days ago i said screw it & put $60 aside for grim. oh well guess ill take my money elsewhere, maybe ill get me another invicta or just keep it set aside so i can pick up the new NECA Alien & Predator figures when they come out.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby G1COLLECTOR » Fri May 30, 2014 6:44 am

I guess I'm not getting him, even at $80.00 .
I never like (Shell Formers) bot, when half or more is covered up with large panels to cover up bot mode. This I never liked about Grimlock. I know many love him, so that just one more for you guys.
Now if this was MP Soundwave, I would buy 2 more.
G1COLLECTOR
Micromaster
Watch G1COLLECTOR on YouTube

Postby MenaceRX » Sat May 31, 2014 12:37 pm

Came in the mail today. No visible issues, improved packing from TRU over Soundwave. No marks on the box. Time to break him open! Woot.

Noticeable differences between the Takara release and Hasbro....

Knee joints overly tight on Hasbro version, plastic crown. Takara's was diecast. Slight color variation in the grey silver. Not major.

MenaceRX
Fuzor

Postby six6dbl5321 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:53 pm

I just got back from my local TRU store. MP-03 Grimlock was in abundance there. However, the price was $92.99. I thought I would try my luck and try and get a 'price match' using the image of the receipt from our friend in Texas.

IMAG0987(1).jpg
IMAG0987(1).jpg (154.58 KiB) Viewed 19628 times

It worked!

IMAG0990(1).jpg

I can't say it will work for everyone. But why not give it a try.
six6dbl5321
Mini-Con

Postby nullrayz » Sat May 31, 2014 2:08 pm

buy me one at 59.99 price match and I'll pay you $20 more+ shipping
nullrayz
Mini-Con

Postby six6dbl5321 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 pm

If I can I will gladly do it. PM me. I'll go tomorrow and see if there are more in stock.
six6dbl5321
Mini-Con

Postby william-james88 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
hey guys, what is the main difference between this release and MP-08X Masterpiece King Grimlock?
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4470
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:19 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
william-james88 wrote:hey guys, what is the main difference between this release and MP-08X Masterpiece King Grimlock?

King Grimlock is a different color scheme meant to evoke the look and feel of Grimlock's appearance in the Marvel run of comics. Most notably, the black plastic is switched out for a blue color (not bright blue, but blue), the front of the feet have yellow detailing like the 2010 Hasbro release, and the silver/grey of the dino is marginally different. Also, the box is unlike any other MP box out there, as it's made to look like a comic cover.

MP-08X is, through and through, a piece for serious Grimlock fans and MP completionists only. Most aren't balking at the current $260 asking price for the second run because it got up to near, and sometimes over, $1000 in the secondary market due to the very limited quantities of the first run.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby william-james88 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:42 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
ScottyP wrote:
King Grimlock is a different color scheme meant to evoke the look and feel of Grimlock's appearance in the Marvel run of comics. Most notably, the black plastic is switched out for a blue color (not bright blue, but blue), the front of the feet have yellow detailing like the 2010 Hasbro release, and the silver/grey of the dino is marginally different. Also, the box is unlike any other MP box out there, as it's made to look like a comic cover.

MP-08X is, through and through, a piece for serious Grimlock fans and MP completionists only. Most aren't balking at the current $260 asking price for the second run because it got up to near, and sometimes over, $1000 in the secondary market due to the very limited quantities of the first run.

Thanks, that was a very detailed explanation and it answered every question I might have had, like if it was worth owning and if not then what explains the price. Well done, and thanks again!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4470
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:34 pm

william-james88 wrote:
ScottyP wrote:

Thanks, that was a very detailed explanation and it answered every question I might have had, like if it was worth owning and if not then what explains the price. Well done, and thanks again!

I'm somewhat Grimlock obsessed, even bought a Diaclone one. Just need three versions to be caught up to everything pre-AOE, and MP-08X is one of them so I've been doing lots of staring at it :grin:
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Wolfman Jake » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
My order just arrived from TRU.com today. Masterpiece Grimlock came without the blaster or the crown! When I called to ask for a replacement, they told me that it was all sold out and no longer in their inventory. Way to go, TRU. Ever heard of putting aside customer service stock for returns and exchanges? No stores here have it in stock, so I can't do an in-store exchange either.
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Video Review of Hasbro MP-03 Grimlock

Postby Mindmaster » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Thanks to YouTube user Nemesis Prime, we have a nice, in-depth video review of the upcoming Hasbro reissue of MP-03 Grimlock! The video review can either be found here, or can be viewed below, as we've mirrored it here for your viewing convenience!

For a comparison, be sure to take a quick gander through our galleries of the original releases of Masterpiece Grimlock, with the standard Takara version being viewed here, and the previous Hasbro release here.
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 8
Intelligence: Infinity
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby mooncake623 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
Ahhh what? clear parts are Green? what? lol really?
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby nullrayz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:19 pm

so the going price on ebay is around 115.00 right now. now what is a person to do if the Toys r us corrects its price to 159.99. LOL
nullrayz
Mini-Con

Postby Unicronobot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
I have one on layaway. Prices are going up. In New York he is 91 dollars before tax and its believed by next week he will be 120. If mine is at all similar to his in quality I am returning it or selling it. Hasbro knocked it out of the park with the Soundwave set and this? This just seems insulting.
Unicronobot
Mini-Con
Watch Unicronobot on YouTube
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby reluctantyouth » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:53 am

I got mine from TRU.com yesterday. The box was crushed on my porch. Looks like TRU actually had some air packets in there, but they had all popped and box was significantly damaged. I expected that.

Then I open the figure and he is generally really loose in the legs. All the gimmicks in Dino mode are atrocious and he just doesn't feel solid in hand at all. I'm disappointed with the mold as this is my first experience opening one.

To top it all off I was messing with his pitiful excuse for accessories and his inability to properly hold them sans closed fist or that tiny tiny tiny little spur like stem of gun and sword that allow him to hold weapons in non light up gimmick had. I ever so carefully tried to place the gun in hand (my hands are super loose and only lock in when when you push them passed where they are supposed to be. The little spur on my gun broke off inside the hand. I'm PISSED :-x :-x :-x . I tried to drill it out but the only bit I had was just slightly larger than the original hole. Now neither weapon can be held. If anyone out there knows of some good 3rd party weapons that might actually fit in Grimlock's mediocre excuse for hands please let me know!!

I'm very disappointed overall and wish I would have just put my money down on an MP Ultra Magnus. I watched several reviews of the figure and mine was above and beyond a dud in all aspects.

This is the WORST Masterpiece figure in the line thus far that I've purchased :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: . On second thought I'll just put the weapons and crown away and forget they exist. This is a figure that cannot be handled and just seems to need to lay there like a lump on a shelf...such a shame. I will put him in Dino mode and display him behind my AOE Dinobots.

~reluctantyouth~ :BOT:
Last edited by reluctantyouth on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
reluctantyouth
Vehicon
News Credits: 26

Postby MenaceRX » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:08 am

I agree with the review on the knee area. They are extremly tight. Not sure what if anything can be done. I have mine in Dino TRex mode next to my Takara MP 08. He will be staying that way because the back and forth on the joints of the Hasbro one makes me nervous.
MenaceRX
Fuzor

Postby megatronus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:20 am

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
I don't mind the deco changes (it's a reason to pick him up), but I am definitely concerned about all the QC issues. Oh well. If I can find one, he'll be staying in the box. I'm happy with my original.
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby megatronus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 am

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Also, I'm pretty sure the reviewer is wrong when he says that Grimlock was supposed to fit into the MP scale reboot. MP-10 was definitely the start, and Rodimus is backwards compatible. Grimlock is not supposed to be in that scale - he's out of scale. Grimlock is too small.
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby jpmonge1984 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:34 am

Hello everyone!
I would love to buy this Grimlock Masterpiece, however I couldn't find it by the time I went to Toys R Us website, then I searched on eBay and I think it is overpriced... does any of you guys have one new Grimlock Masterpiece for sale that I can buy through eBay? So far I have 100% positive feedback as buyer (I am not a seller!) and I always tend to pay right away. If there's anybody interested please let me know!.
Thanks so much guys!
jpmonge1984
Mini-Con
Watch jpmonge1984 on YouTube
Buy from jpmonge1984 on eBay

Postby mooncake623 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 am

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
@megatronus

have you checked TRU TS yet? I've not had time to check if they have any and haven't seen any reports of it showing up there yet.

I will go check today if I can get out of work early enough.
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby ScottyP » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:02 am

http://www.cheetimus.com/2014/06/how-to-fix-tru-2014-mp-grimlocks-loose.html

:-? Might have to try that out. The joints on mine aren't super loose, but they're loose nonetheless.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby spiderbob007 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:28 am

Motto: "If all we have in this world is what we make, then let us make good."
Weapon: Venom Blaster
From the reviews and comments, it sounds like Hasbro did a knock off of their own toy.
spiderbob007
Micromaster
News Credits: 2
Watch spiderbob007 on YouTube
Buy from spiderbob007 on eBay
Strength: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby reluctantyouth » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00 pm

spiderbob007 wrote:From the reviews and comments, it sounds like Hasbro did a knock off of their own toy.

From what the reviewer said the $150 knock off is of better quality than this monumental P.O.S!! A bargain at $79.99? Pathetic. I got an additional 20% off my online purchase so it was $69.00 and not worth it. Paying $59.00 for this is not worth it. Just my opinion as a long time collector.

~reluctantyouth~ :BOT:
reluctantyouth
Vehicon
News Credits: 26

Postby ScottyP » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Honestly other than the (apparently fixable) semi-loose joints in a couple spots and the mold degradation on the detailings, this thing is almost exactly like my original run MP-8. I think $80 was a crazy good price. Guess my tolerance for this stuff is pretty forgiving.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210584 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231010J"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr H 1:100 foil Image Comics 2023 0823IM293 1H Bertram 231207A"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231222R"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #27 IDW Comics 2014 27A 200509A (CA) Coller"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231222S"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 4A 210411B"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #6 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Kupperberg 230915U"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WAR'S END #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 DEC210546 1A (CA) Hernandez"
Transformers WAR'S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #3 2nd ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Texeira (W) Salicrup 230915Z"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WINDBLADE #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 1RI (CA) Pitre-Durocher 230124"
Transformers WINDB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #36 IDW Comics 2014 Days of Deception 200211b"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #17 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010N"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #7 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 JAN200704 7A (W) Maggs (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Twinferno and Daburu" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON