This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Toyline Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
william-james88 wrote:Also, does anyone know why Hasbro did not go for the asymmetrical chest? Because every version of the character ever depicted seem to have the two colored chest design, unless I am wrong (in that case, please let me know).
Possibly due to the chest forming the shark head this time, which isn't as asymmetrical as the robot mode chest is.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby megatronus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
william-james88 wrote:
megatronus wrote:I've got Gelshark preordered... Super excited for him! :D

I'd still buy the Hasbro version on sight, though, if I ever see him...

Why get the hasbro if you have the Gelshark on the way? I hope I dont come across as elitist to takara, I am just curious.

No worries - over time, I've become a Hasbro generations completist (which is elitist in its own way). ;)
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby Cyberpath » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:40 am

New photos from TF YUKI:

He also posted sketches of Ginrai:

Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG08 Tailgate and Swerve and LG09 Brainstorm Images

Postby Va'al » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:53 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Takara Tomy's unofficial social media PR Hisashi Yuki has taken to Twitter again to show off the upcoming Legends figures LG08 Tailgate and Swerve and LG09 Brainstorm, along with Targetmasters and Headmaster - and of course, MP-24 Star Saber (more on the upcoming Masterpiece figure over here).

Thrown into the mix is also a concept doodle by Yuki of Ginrai - speculation time, or just some social media fodder from the vaults? Let us know what you think in the Energon Pub!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:58 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Those doodle are most probably for the original Ginrai/PM Optimus Prime.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby Doubledealer93 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:54 am

Motto: "A logical mind is a healthy mind."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
tailgate actually looks good.

check out my collection thread, updated 2/25/13, and i kinda lost count, i have to count them again....
doubledealer93-s-collection-as-of-2-25-13-t84309.php
my tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/doubledealer93
My deviant art, loads more pics there--> http://doubledealer93.deviantart.com/
Doubledealer93
City Commander
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 am

fenrir72 wrote:Those doodle are most probably for the original Ginrai/PM Optimus Prime.
Yeah, I'm likewise thinking they might be sketches from the original 1988 toy's production.

But if not, they could instead have been something Yuki-san was drawing for the Fans Choice poll had Super Jinrai won instead of Star Saber.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:20 am

Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:Those doodle are most probably for the original Ginrai/PM Optimus Prime.
Yeah, I'm likewise thinking they might be sketches from the original 1988 toy's production.

But if not, they could instead have been something Yuki-san was drawing for the Fans Choice poll had Super Jinrai won instead of Star Saber.

More or less. But if this would have been another MP Ginrai, having a windshield for a back would be a slap to modern engineering techniques ( that or do the henkei convoy transform sequence) let alone be a Masterpiece.

Edt:

What's weird though is that for the first time, the original PM Optimus USA release had longer stacks while the die-cast cab Ginrai had shorter ones, why that didn't carry over to Yuki's doodle is kind of surprising. Another thing, if you still own the original Hasbro catalogue for the Powermaster/Pretenders, PM Optimus Prime was waaaaaaay different from the final product. That proto hand more angled feet and a proportional head.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Postby leakin' lubricant » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:26 am

Motto: "Be Quick or Be Dead"
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon

Nice, should be getting mine next week, cant wait!
leakin' lubricant
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Buy from leakin' lubricant on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:29 am

fenrir72 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

More or less. But if this would have been another MP Ginrai, having a windshield for a back would be a slap to modern engineering techniques ( that or do the henkei convoy transform sequence) let alone be a Masterpiece.
Not when that makes it show-accurate. ;)

Besides, MP-1 and MP-10 both had two truck grills, MP-9 had two flame hoods, etc.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 am

Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Not when that makes it show-accurate. ;)

Besides, MP-1 and MP-10 both had two truck grills, MP-9 had two flame hoods, etc.

I have no problem with the grills, that's were the Godmaster/engine attaches. It's the windshield on his back at an angle (gives Ginrai a stooping appearance)......me no like.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:45 am

leakin' lubricant wrote:

Nice, should be getting mine next week, cant wait!

D@mn holidays got my UM and Jetfire stuck at Tokyo :BOOM: expecting them in the next 2 weeks.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:53 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
fenrir72 wrote:
I have no problem with the grills, that's were the Godmaster/engine attaches. It's the windshield on his back at an angle (gives Ginrai a stooping appearance)......me no like.

Ok, I know I will sound like a newbie but you guys have been nice and understanding before.

Why is this Ginrai and not Convoy?
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4469
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 am

william-james88 wrote:Why is this Ginrai and not Convoy?
When the Powermaster Optimus Prime toy was released in Japan, it was as a new character named Ginrai (with a soft G, like "Jin-rye") since, in the Japanese cartoon continuity, Optimus/Convoy was already dead once again, so they decided to make it into a new character instead of bringing him back to life for a third time.

Plus, the Powermaster concept in Japan was reworked into the Godmaster concept, which would have made it difficult for the toy to represent Convoy anyway, since it put more focus on the human rather than the Transtector.
Last edited by Sabrblade on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:01 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
william-james88 wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:

Ok, I know I will sound like a newbie but you guys have been nice and understanding before.

Why is this Ginrai and not Convoy?

The short story is that in the Japanese timeline, Convoy gets killed off (again) in The Headmasters. The difference is, he wouldn't be properly revived until after Zone in Return of Convoy, as Star Convoy.
Ginrai's body was meant for Convoy, but for unknown reasons, it was turned into a new character named Ginrai. The fact it was a lifeless Transtector (at first) controlled by a human (the Engine) akin to a Japanese Headmaster probably had something to do with it.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 5

Postby wetwithwaterwings » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 am

Takara's Flanker is a drastic departure from the U.S. release. I like how the gun mode mimics Swerve's "my first blaster" from MTMTE. Are those Flanker's original colors or is that a nod to something else?
wetwithwaterwings
Micromaster
Buy from wetwithwaterwings on eBay

Postby wetwithwaterwings » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:20 am

Takara's Flanker is a drastic departure from the U.S. release. I like how the gun mode mimics Swerve's "my first blaster" from MTMTE. Are those Flanker's original colors or is that a nod to something else?
wetwithwaterwings
Micromaster
Buy from wetwithwaterwings on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:24 am

wetwithwaterwings wrote:Takara's Flanker is a drastic departure from the U.S. release. I like how the gun mode mimics Swerve's "my first blaster" from MTMTE. Are those Flanker's original colors or is that a nod to something else?
Flanker's been redecoed into being the Micromaster Phaser partner of Blast Master (who is the real identity of Cosmos's Payload figure).

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Agamemnon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Motto: ""I'd be the President of the procrastinator's club if I ever got around to submitting my application.""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Sabrblade wrote:When the Powermaster Optimus Prime toy was released in Japan, it was as a new character named Ginrai (with a hard G, like "Jin-rye")...

[Grammar Nazi] You meant "soft g" as in "jin" and not "hard g" like in "gun," right? [/grammar Nazi] ;)

Sorry, it never happens that I get to correct Sabrblade. His knowledge is truly astounding!!
william-james88 wrote:Also be weary of hope in this hobby. Hope is just undiscovered disappointment.
My nephew wrote:Bacon is meat candy.
Agamemnon, barebacked rider of flying robo-dragon, and not often constipated either...
(I answer to Ag or Ags. Agamemnon is too long to type. Plus, there is something elemental about calling me Ag. :-D )
Agamemnon
Faction Commander
News Credits: 10
Alt Mode: A donut. Mmmmm...donut
Speed: 2
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 8

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
And to illustrate here are the G1 Micros:

Left: Blast Master (aka "Payload")
Right: Phaser

They each form one half of a Space Shuttle: Phaser is the front, Blast Master is the back.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Agamemnon wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:When the Powermaster Optimus Prime toy was released in Japan, it was as a new character named Ginrai (with a hard G, like "Jin-rye")...

[Grammar Nazi] You meant "soft g" as in "jin" and not "hard g" like in "gun," right? [/grammar Nazi] ;)

Sorry, it never happens that I get to correct Sabrblade. His knowledge is truly astounding!!
Really? I thought it was the other way, since I figured the "guh" sound was softer to pronounce that the "juh" sound.

Fancy that. :lol:

Thanks. I'll edit it right away.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
wetwithwaterwings wrote:Takara's Flanker is a drastic departure from the U.S. release. I like how the gun mode mimics Swerve's "my first blaster" from MTMTE. Are those Flanker's original colors or is that a nod to something else?
Flanker's been redecoed into being the Micromaster Phaser partner of Blast Master (who is the real identity of Cosmos's Payload figure).

Takara keeps impressing me. Even though Hasbro is the sole designer of the toys these days, they still make it their own whenever they have the chance, thats awesome!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Wolfman Jake » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
Actually, Agamemnon, the pronunciation of the "G" in Ginrai is a matter of phonics, not grammar. Yes, I'm being that guy. ;)
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Firepower: 2

Postby Agamemnon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Motto: ""I'd be the President of the procrastinator's club if I ever got around to submitting my application.""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Wolfman Jake wrote:Actually, Agamemnon, the pronunciation of the "G" in Ginrai is a matter of phonics, not grammar. Yes, I'm being that guy. ;)

Nice call. But I've never heard of a Phonics Nazi... Are you the first? ;)
william-james88 wrote:Also be weary of hope in this hobby. Hope is just undiscovered disappointment.
My nephew wrote:Bacon is meat candy.
Agamemnon, barebacked rider of flying robo-dragon, and not often constipated either...
(I answer to Ag or Ags. Agamemnon is too long to type. Plus, there is something elemental about calling me Ag. :-D )
Agamemnon
Faction Commander
News Credits: 10
Alt Mode: A donut. Mmmmm...donut
Speed: 2
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 5

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG08 Tailgate and Swerve and LG09 Brainstorm Images

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Va'al wrote:
Image[/center]

What I really was asking is how do we know that these drawing are of Ginrai and not Convoy?

Also, my instinct, was that this was detailing the takara release of Combiner Wars Optimus. This is entirely due to that shot of the truck's front with the different windows, drawn near the back of the cab. They look a lot like the chest of the Torso created using Combiner Wars Optimus. That would also explain the fact that he was several set of windows for transformation.

william-james88
News Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformer Combiner Wars Generations complete +box Leader 2015 230325A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2015 230903A"
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2016 230903A"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OBSIDIAN Transformers Universe Basic Ultra complete Hasbro 2003 230830A"
OBSIDIAN Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Generations Alt-Modes Series 1 Hasbro 2016"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Classics Deluxe complete Hasbro 2006 230809A"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "QUAKE + CHASM Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2017 231208H"
NEW!
QUAKE + CHASM Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINDSET Transformers Generations Reveal Shield Deluxe complete 2011 230920A"
NEW!
MINDSET Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TREAD BOLT Transformers Universe Voyager complete + instructions 2008 230920A"
NEW!
TREAD BOLT Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE + FRACAS Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 231208K"
NEW!
SCOURGE + FRACAS T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAGNIFICUS Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2023 New"
MAGNIFICUS Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PROWL Transformers Universe Spy Changer complete Hasbro 2005 230821A"
PROWL Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOT ROD + FIREDRIVE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete 2016 230427A"
HOT ROD + FIREDRIV ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ASTROTRAIN + DARKMOON Transformers Titans Return Voyager complete 2016 231208M"
NEW!
ASTROTRAIN + DARKM ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Leader Dragonstorm Combiner" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Bumblebee" on AMAZON