This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust Unveiled

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust Unveiled

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
fenrir72 wrote:That being the case, collectors will be importing them by bypassing Hasbro then. Somoene must really be hedging on getting this fig to make a killing in the secondary market.

They'd have to find a middle man in Japan, which there are fortunately. You just need to find them :)
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Skill: 5

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust: Cancellation Rumours Addressed

Postby shajaki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
It seems our pal Exhaust is spinning around the rumor mill once again. As reported in the past, MP-23 Exhaust is the Diaclone inspired retool of MP-20 Wheeljack which has come into conflict with US laws prohibiting the sale of children's toys with advertising of tobacco products. And due to intervention of lawyers representing Phillip Morris the figure will not be allowed to be imported to the USA, causing many retailers to issue cancellation notices to all those who have preordered him. See BigBadToyStore's official statement below:

Hello,

We regretfully must announce that all preorders for the Takara MP-23 Exhaust have been cancelled. There has been an ongoing legal problem with this figure due to trademarked Marlboro roof/hood design that is not approved for sale in the USA. Takara modified the original design and went into production using a modified paint deco. It appears the redesigned paint deco did not go far enough to fix the problem, and Phillip Morris USA will still not allow this item for sale in the USA. We have been in contact with the law firm representing Phillip Morris and they told us that the changes were not substantial enough to eliminate potential consumer confusion between the Marlboro trademarked design and the current paint deco on the MP-23 Exhaust.

We apologize for the problem on this item, but we must abide by the requests made by Phillip Morris. We look forward to less complicated future Takara Transformer releases.

Sincerely,

Joel Boblit
BigBadToyStore

Retailer Toyer City has also reported that Hasbro Asia will be cancelling distribution of this cigarette inspired retool. But what does that mean exactly?

In the past you may have read stories of chain stores like ToysRus in Australia seeing Takara Tomy Masterpiece figures on their shelves. That is thanks to the distribution from their local office Hasbro Australia. This is much like the often reported Hasbro Asia which covers territories like China, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Such a cancellation could mean that those territories will not receive the scandalous MP-23. However this does not mean the figure is outright cancelled. An announcement such as that would likely have to come from Takara Tomy themselves which has yet to happen. Many have also speculated that with the recent in-box shots and being slated to release this month, that an outright cancellation is unlikely.

Stay tuned to Seibetron.com for any developments in this Exhausting Saga....

(Special thanks to the all knowing Seibertronian Jelze Goldrabbit!)

shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Why do I get the feeling I was indirectly quoted... :-?

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby shajaki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:20 pm

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:Why do I get the feeling I was indirectly quoted... :-?
You were ;)

Also credited. Your help was invaluable, thanks Jelzy ;)^
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Seibertron » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
All of this back and forth is exhausting. Makes me want to have a cigarette. :michaelbay: :KREMZEEK:
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby shajaki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Seibertron wrote:All of this back and forth is exhausting. Makes me want to have a cigarette. :michaelbay: :KREMZEEK:
>:oP >:oP

:lol: :lol: :lol:
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
I have a feeling without the more American online retailers; Exhaust is going to shelfwarm in Japan like a mother ****.
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
News Credits: 25
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Speed: 5
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby sol magnus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Motto: "This is the most beautiful thing in the entire universe. Ok, give me the bomb."
Weapon: Laser Rifle
What? Slow news day? :grin:
'Til All Are One.
sol magnus
Gestalt
News Credits: 10
Speed: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Desslok2201 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:51 pm

SW's SilverHammer wrote:I have a feeling without the more American online retailers; Exhaust is going to shelfwarm in Japan like a mother ****.

Who cares? As long as he gets released in Japan, I will find a way to get that beautiful blue winged bastard.
Desslok2201
Targetmaster

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:54 pm

SW's SilverHammer wrote:I have a feeling without the more American online retailers; Exhaust is going to shelfwarm in Japan like a mother ****.

Actually, I just thought of something: with no export possibilities to the U.S. or other countries outside of Japan, how would it affect the production numbers? I'd expect them to be lower, with the orders from abroad canceled, but if the figures have already produced, what would happen to them? Better keep an eye on the European stores. :-?

Hah, the Belgium-based Archonia.com still has its Masterpiece Exhaust listing up. That's a good sign...

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby Rated X » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Just because US retailers are scared of the big bad wolf (AKA Phill Morris) that doesnt mean takara is making a smaller run of these guys. Small chinese based retailers like chimungmung and e bay sellers will buy them all up and make a killing. Then comes the inevitable KO. Phill Morris is beating a dead horse with their juvenile legal outburst. Hope canibus is legal in 5 years and phill morris goes out of business due to backyard growers and hookah bars. Screw phill morris and the god damn marlboro man !
Rated X
Banned
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:06 pm

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

Actually, I just thought of something: with no export possibilities to the U.S. or other countries outside of Japan, how would it affect the production numbers? I'd expect them to be lower, with the orders from abroad canceled, but if the figures have already produced, what would happen to them? Better keep an eye on the European stores. :-?

Well that's the exact reason I think it's going to shelf warm, I think they produced quite a few knowing it would have broader market appeal her in the US as a novelty. I don't think the Japanese market will have as much appreciation for the Diaclone homage as the U.S would. Also don't Japanese marlboro packages commonly have blue/sea-foam green as their accent color and not red?

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:14 pm

SW's SilverHammer wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

Well that's the exact reason I think it's going to shelf warm, I think they produced quite a few knowing it would have broader market appeal her in the US as a novelty. I don't think the Japanese market will have as much appreciation for the Diaclone homage as the U.S would. Also don't Japanese marlboro packages commonly have blue/sea-foam green as their accent color and not red?

A quick Google search shows that's not the case: in Japan the main color is still red. However, the flavored types (think menthol) do have different colors instead of the red.

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby dragons » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Desslok2201 wrote:

Who cares? As long as he gets released in Japan, I will find a way to get that beautiful blue winged ****.

Hate to be you when you buy it on ebay half price original fortress maximuss
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Desslok2201 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:03 pm

dragons wrote:
Desslok2201 wrote:

Who cares? As long as he gets released in Japan, I will find a way to get that beautiful blue winged ****.

Not really sure what one has to do with the other, but I already have one, thanks.
Desslok2201
Targetmaster

Postby sol magnus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Motto: "This is the most beautiful thing in the entire universe. Ok, give me the bomb."
Weapon: Laser Rifle
Desslok2201 wrote:
dragons wrote:
Desslok2201 wrote:

Not really sure what one has to do with the other, but I already have one, thanks.

I only paid 60 bucks for my Exhaust...
'Til All Are One.
sol magnus
Gestalt
News Credits: 10

Postby Tsutsukakushi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:39 pm

The only thing I like on this toy is the head sculpt. Think wheeljack's colors look best on this toy.
Tsutsukakushi
City Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby MGrotusque » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:43 pm

I keep wanting to buy this fig but i'm hesitant because of the perceived exclusivity of it due to copyright laws and whatnot.

He's cool and all but i don't want to get caught up in the hype and rush out to get it. Also there isn't a whole lot of Decepticon MP's which also makes it very tempting.
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Tsutsukakushi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:58 pm

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:That being the case, collectors will be importing them by bypassing Hasbro then. Somoene must really be hedging on getting this fig to make a killing in the secondary market.

They'd have to find a middle man in Japan, which there are fortunately. You just need to find them :)

:lol: Thinking some clever Ebay sellers from Japan. Might be able to use clever code words to sell this toy. Like sorry, this is not the right pic or description. You will not be getting Wheeljack. You'll be getting his evil twin brother. That has a different head and red colors. :lol:

When Hasbro asked ebay to forbid sellers from sellers KO's on ebay. Sellers starting using the word reissue. Most buyers knew that HasTak never reissued the G1 dinobots toys. Buyers knew these were KO toys.
Tsutsukakushi
City Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby Flashwave » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
methinks this battle was over as soon as Phillip Morris became aware of the mold. it didn't matter how much Takara Tommy change the paint scheme the basis of the character was still the same; a Marlboro race car.
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9

Postby durroth » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Weapon: Double Barreled Multi-Purpose Launcher
If anyone knows anyplace that still seems to be selling them from japan, please message me.
durroth
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 1

Postby fenrir72 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
I early pages of this thread I made mention that some Japanese toy/hobby themed companies have sold a somewhat modified Lancia with Malboro decals as an adult collectible. How they got around this stupid issue is beyond me. This is just a big issue because TF is such a hot commodity.

In makes be burst into tears that the very simple means to purchase or sell this item to make sure it isn't purchased by minors is to accept payments via Credit Cards. You can verify the age easily. Below 21 years, don't sell.

Simplicity itself. :BANG_HEAD:
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 8

Postby fenrir72 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Tsutsukakushi wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

:lol: Thinking some clever Ebay sellers from Japan. Might be able to use clever code words to sell this toy. Like sorry, this is not the right pic or description. You will not be getting Wheeljack. You'll be getting his evil twin brother. That has a different head and red colors. :lol:

When Hasbro asked ebay to forbid sellers from sellers KO's on ebay. Sellers starting using the word reissue. Most buyers knew that HasTak never reissued the G1 dinobots toys. Buyers knew these were KO toys.

This too.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 8

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:44 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
It is disappointing to see how at this point there are still people who think Philip Morris USA is the main force behind this toy's inability to be sold to U.S. consumers, when it is actually a much greater force at work here: The United States government.

No joke, no crazy conspiracy theories; this toy cannot be sold to U.S. consumers not because of some IP infringement or something, but because doing so would be a U.S. Federal law violation.

Under the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement and the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, it is illegal for any company to sell any merchandise to U.S. consumers if said merchandise is perceived to be children's merchandise that even remotely gives off the slightest minuscule impression of advertising tobacco-based goods.

While we fans know good and well that advertising tobacco-based goods to children is not the intention behind this figure's existence at all, no matter how much we may try to separate our hobby from being mere children's playthings and instead being "collectibles" for adults, the courts WILL consider this thing a "toy" and WILL consider its Marlboro-homaging deco as advertisement of tobacco-based goods on that which they consider to be children's merchandise.

As small-minded and ignorant as that sounds, the world we live in is still not yet ready to accept the reality of adults who buy and collect toys, as the concept is still fairly new and infantile in the grand scheme of things.

If this toy were to be sold to U.S. consumers, it is Philip Morris USA who would face federal charges for allowing their brand of tobacco goods to be advertised on children's merchandise, regardless of whether it would be their direct fault for making the toy or not. They would still be at fault for letting it happen, and the courts would most assuredly see that they suffer the consequences of TakaraTomy's actions.

If we put things into perspective, it really isn't Philip Morris USA's fault that TakaraTomy decided to make this toy, but it's their hide on the line here, not Takara.

Had Takara decided to not be so faithful to the real life car's deco in the first place, instead going the route of Hyperspeed Wheeljack by using a deco that gives off only the vaguest hint of the Marlboro chevron, then it is far less likely that Philip Morris USA would have made such a fuss over this toy in the first place since a deco like Hyperspeed Wheeljack's wouldn't be deemed by the U.S. federal courts as something that might be trying to advertise tobacco-based goods on a children's toy.

Even the changes that Takara made to the deco after the fact might have possibly let this toy come to America had they gone with that changed deco from the start. But since they didn't, and had instead begun with the Marlboro-accurate deco, the deco changes came too little too late for them to fix this toy's situation. As soon as word hit everyone's radar that this toy was meant to resemble the Marlboro-sponsored racecar, this toy was forever doomed to its current fate.

The only possible way this toy could be sold to U.S. consumers at this late in the game would be for its deco to be given an extreme, radical, drastic alteration to its deco to make it almost completely dissimilar to the look of the real life Marlboro racecar. Like, by getting rid of the entire amount of its red paint altogether, or something. But that simply isn't economically financially feasible for Takara to do at this point, what with the toy virtually ready and set to go on the Japanese market.
Last edited by Sabrblade on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:58 pm

And now they've created a halfway legal, halfway illegal black market, for a toy of all things. Amazing, if only the drafters of this could've seen this in 1998.

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHADOWSTRIP Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Deluxe G2 New"
SHADOWSTRIP Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS Transformers Legacy Deluxe G1 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
SKIDS Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETRITUS Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Hasbro 2023 New"
DETRITUS Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IGUANUS Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
IGUANUS Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEVCON Transformers Legacy Evolution TL-44 Deluxe Takara Tomy 2023 New"
NEW!
DEVCON Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TASMANIA KID Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
TASMANIA KID Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K31 SHADOW PANTHER Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K31 SHADOW PAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BOULDERCRASH Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
BOULDERCRASH Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEMESIS LEO PRIME Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager Lio Convoy 2023 New"
NEMESIS LEO PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SANDSTORM Transformers Legacy Deluxe Beast Wars Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
SANDSTORM Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE Transformers Legacy United Deluxe Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARMADA STARSCREAM Transformers Legacy Voyager Class Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
ARMADA STARSCREAM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRASHMASTER Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager Junkon Hasbro 2023 New"
TRASHMASTER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BULKHEAD Transformers Legacy Voyager Class Prime Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
BULKHEAD Transform ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Autobot Stylor and Chromedome" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Krok and Gatorface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot First Aid Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Cogman" on AMAZON