This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs

Postby william-james88 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
The 4th wave of Combiner War appeared at retail without warning even before the online retailers could send out their products. This was a pleasant surprise for fans who like the hunt and one such lucky fan, Seibertron's own Cobotron, has given us both a rundown of his impression on these versions of the molds as well as beautiful comparison shots with their previous CHUG incarnations.

Cobotron wrote:From most fav, to least.
1. Mirage
2. Prowl
3. Sunstreaker
4. Ironhide (although the mold is still one of my favs from the line)

[about Prowl]
The mold looks really good in this deco, and the paint is nicely applied. Plus prowl and Streetwise can now walk the beat together keeping the mean streets free of crime.

[about Sunstreaker]To me the Classics Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold's use of foresight to achieve two distinctly different results from the same figure is one of the smartest designs Has/Tak has ever developed. I do like this CW alt mode better. If nothing else it looks more like the '80s Countach the character originated from. One thing I like about the CW Sunstreaker is the bottom heaviness and bulk of his legs reminds me of the G1 toy and how clunky his legs were. Except now he has knees! ;)^

[about Ironhide]As much as the Classics Hide is disliked, I've never hated him. His alt mode is a mess, as is his transformation, but IMO his bot mode saves the day. He just looks so dam BAD ARSK!!! This CW Hide just seems scrawny, and the head sculpt is kind of weak. He makes a fantastic arm or leg though.

I will admit, I am really starting to feel the mold fatigue from this line, but this wave of deluxes and wave 1 Prime fulfills a childhood dream. I used to lay my G1 Autobots out on the floor on their backs and configure them into an Autobot Combiner. I would even use my brothers Predaking feet and fists to complete the puzzle. I am elated that that combiner can now stand up, and fight the good fight!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Discussion Thread

Postby Hellscream9999 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:44 pm

Motto: "Never forgive, never forget."
Weapon: Black Magic
Has anyone else realize that the tabs on the side of breakdown/sunstreakers hand-foot gun can be slid down the sides of the bot mode back kibble (hard to explain, saw in vangelus' review) apparently it yields a more sunstreaker look; I think it will at any rate.
I am not a G1 fan, please treat my opinions as such.

william-james88 wrote:If ever Sabrblade decides to go on vacation, I am glad to know we can rely on you.
Hellscream9999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 174
Alt Mode: Skeletal Dragon
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: ???
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Fox Thiagarajan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:46 pm

Motto: "Our greatest resource is each other."
Weapon: Snow Laser
I really love the molds for the characters. I hope I can track these guys down. Thanks for the pics C. :BOWDOWN:
Fox Thiagarajan
Pretender
Alt Mode: Red Mazda 343
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Wolfman Jake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:38 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
I just picked up the '84 Autobot limbs from my local Target today (along with Legends Rodimus and Skywarp). I've transformed them all back and forth several times, building up Optimus Maximus (using the wave 1 red Prime) and breaking him up again. It's good fun. The truck cab torso IS the weakest of the three models so far, but I was able to get Optimus Maximus to stand with a fair bit of stability just from the official transformation set-up. Pro-Tip: save that clear rubber band that comes with Rodimus to hold him on as a chest piece. Optimus Maximus has the same problem that Menasor had with holding on to Blackjack (e.g., it doesn't hold at all).
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Postby Flashwave » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:15 am

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
I have a Sergent Kup figure I intended to paint as the yellow Turbomaster Dude, and with it a spare pair of Blaster Cannons. With any luck, they'll fit on the Offroad Mold painlessly. If so, that's reason 1 for getting this mold, a good Classics Ironhide with the yellow stripe, a solid truck bed, and his cannons.
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby albnok » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:54 am

Wolfman Jake wrote:I just picked up the '84 Autobot limbs from my local Target today (along with Legends Rodimus and Skywarp). I've transformed them all back and forth several times, building up Optimus Maximus (using the wave 1 red Prime) and breaking him up again. It's good fun. The truck cab torso IS the weakest of the three models so far, but I was able to get Optimus Maximus to stand with a fair bit of stability just from the official transformation set-up. Pro-Tip: save that clear rubber band that comes with Rodimus to hold him on as a chest piece. Optimus Maximus has the same problem that Menasor had with holding on to Blackjack (e.g., it doesn't hold at all).

Battle Core Optimus Prime fixes the waist problem though. Also I think the combined robot is named based on the torso - so your red Optimus Prime makes what you have, Ultra Prime. Which is why even with 3 Aerialbot limbs, Optimus Prime's box does not say it's Superion.
albnok
Minibot
News Credits: 4
Watch albnok on YouTube

Postby Thadicon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:27 am

Motto: "Theatricality and Deception, Powerful agents to the unintiated"
Weapon: Rapid-Fire Plasma Pulse Cannon
william-james88 wrote:
Nemesis Destron wrote:Will Takara possibly release these guys??

I got my hands on Ironhide today but if it turns out Takara will in fact release Ironhide and the rest then I will hold off on opening it up. :VEHI:

Yes, they confirmed they are releasing them.

Hellscream9999 wrote:
Thadicon wrote:This is a bit of a random question about the new Buzzsaw that is coming out but what is the mode with the wheels supposed to be?

Like He turns into a tablet and bird mode but what is the other mode supposed to be? A skateboard or something?

A taser on wheels, so he can irritate :CON:'s by poking their ankles, obvoiusly #-o

It was referred to as a "tank mode" (cough cough)

Really is that what Hasbro said it was? a tank mode?
Thadicon
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 2
Courage: 1
Firepower: 10

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:12 am

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
All of them have their distinctive chest designs replaced by those ugly combiner pegs. Sunstreaker looks the worst of them in my opinion. Prowl's not far behind. It's just far too obvious they were never meant for these characters. Nothing memorable about these molds at all.
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby Noideaforaname » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:33 am

Those comparison shots make me miss clear plastic parts. Sure most of the time you'd just see a jumble of robutts and whatnot, but it gave the illusion of being made of different material, which was pretty cool.
"He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life."
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
Noideaforaname
City Commander
News Credits: 7

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:46 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Hellscream9999 wrote:Has anyone else realize that the tabs on the side of breakdown/sunstreakers hand-foot gun can be slid down the sides of the bot mode back kibble (hard to explain, saw in vangelus' review) apparently it yields a more sunstreaker look; I think it will at any rate.

I did see that in a review for Streaker. Didn't realize it but it does look the figures look tons better :BOT:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby william-james88 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:55 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Thadicon wrote:
Really is that what Hasbro said it was? a tank mode?

Yes, if i recall correctly.

Noideaforaname wrote:Those comparison shots make me miss clear plastic parts. Sure most of the time you'd just see a jumble of robutts and whatnot, but it gave the illusion of being made of different material, which was pretty cool.

Clear Plastic is alive and strong in the Robots in disguise line :) I recomend you get that Drift!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Rated X » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:30 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Wow these Repaint Wars figures are like the ultimate downgrade. I already knew I wouldnt be buying these, but these comparison shots really put the nail in the coffin. For $10-20 more you can get the real deal Universe/Generations figures on e-bay. I would encourage everybody to let these things shelf warm to send a message to Hasbro not to go this route again. Victorion is cool, but these repaints are a joke.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby Alpha Dominus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:49 am

Motto: ""Strength through adversity.""
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Wow. The more I see of these figures the less I'm inclined to buy them. Message to Hasbro: Shoehorning new heads onto previously-used molds over and over again is not the way to maintain the brand.
Alpha Dominus
Fuzor
Strength: 10
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Absolute Zero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:24 am

Weapon: Corrosive Slime Shooter
Can Prowl roll, or does his chest piece pegs get in the way in alt mode like on the previous mold?
Sig by BunBun
Dead in One-XBLive
Shinobiusagi-PSN
Absolute Zero
Faction Commander
Location: On the corner earning money for a crippling plastic addiction
Alt Mode: Meloncholy Savior of Fascist Autobots
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 4
Endurance: Infinity
Firepower: 5
Skill: 6

Postby Editor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:46 am

Motto: ""I'm not even supposed to be here today!""
Weapon: Shotgun
As I already plan to just display these guys in gestalt mode any issues for their bot looks can be ignored.

That said they will be sitting for a while as I plan to have Prime paired with Ironhide, Trailbreaker, Prowl and Hound. That way Sky Reign will be a speed team with Mirage, Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Sunstreaker.

At least that's my plan up to the point they tell us if they are releasing a wave with the missing 4 from '84. If they do that then I'd swap Sunstreaker with Jazz, Prowl with Ratchet and have the Lambo and Fairlady twins on the 3rd "original" combiner.
http://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwar/team_view.php?id=27919
Once I ran an Anime festival with over 6,000 attendees. Now... not so much.
Editor
City Commander
News Credits: 9
Watch Editor on YouTube
Buy from Editor on eBay
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Nemesis Destron » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Motto: ""So you see evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!""
Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
william-james88 wrote:
Nemesis Destron wrote:Will Takara possibly release these guys??

I got my hands on Ironhide today but if it turns out Takara will in fact release Ironhide and the rest then I will hold off on opening it up. :VEHI:

Yes, they confirmed they are releasing them.

Excellent, thanks for that word WJ. Looks like it's back to the peg for you Ironhide IF your Takara counterpart is superior. :VEHI:
Nemesis Destron
Gestalt
News Credits: 2

Postby CrankyOldTruck » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Motto: ""Experience,lad... you should learn to appreciate it!""
Weapon: Old-Style Musket Laser
Wolfman Jake wrote:I just picked up the '84 Autobot limbs from my local Target today (along with Legends Rodimus and Skywarp). I've transformed them all back and forth several times, building up Optimus Maximus (using the wave 1 red Prime) and breaking him up again. It's good fun. The truck cab torso IS the weakest of the three models so far, but I was able to get Optimus Maximus to stand with a fair bit of stability just from the official transformation set-up. Pro-Tip: save that clear rubber band that comes with Rodimus to hold him on as a chest piece. Optimus Maximus has the same problem that Menasor had with holding on to Blackjack (e.g., it doesn't hold at all).

Since I have the Legends Class Optimus Prime that came out prior to the CW line I'm just using him instead of Rodimus. It's not as eye wrenching as the Huffer repaint and it makes for a less "Menasor repaint" look. If you have that figure, I'd recommend going that route instead.
I'm a cigar chomping, Energon guzzling, crotchety old bot that's tough as nails, two days older than dirt, can out grouch Ironhide, out-complain Huffer, leave Bluestreak speechless with a single glare and make Grimlock back down in a stare-off. If you're nice, and extremely lucky, I may only tell you to go blow it out your exhaust pipe!
CrankyOldTruck
Minibot
Speed: 6

Postby Wolfman Jake » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 am

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
albnok wrote:

Battle Core Optimus Prime fixes the waist problem though. Also I think the combined robot is named based on the torso - so your red Optimus Prime makes what you have, Ultra Prime. Which is why even with 3 Aerialbot limbs, Optimus Prime's box does not say it's Superion.

I'll call my plastic robots anything I want, thank you very much! [-(

;)
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Intelligence: 10
Firepower: 2

Postby no-one » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:00 am

Hellscream9999 wrote:Has anyone else realize that the tabs on the side of breakdown/sunstreakers hand-foot gun can be slid down the sides of the bot mode back kibble (hard to explain, saw in vangelus' review) apparently it yields a more sunstreaker look; I think it will at any rate.

Yes, if I'm remebering correctly; it goes in thumb out with the thumb folded up and to the side a bit. Tucks in nice and tight.
no-one
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 131

Postby Seibertron » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
mooncake623 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Well, this certainly looks more like G1 Mirage than Classics Mirage did (not my pic, BTW):

Just needs his arms (or at least his hands) swapped.

would it still transform correctly if you pop out the arms and swap it? hmm..

I thought this looked so amazing and made Mirage look much more like "Mirage", so I bought an extra Combiner Wars Mirage last night at Target so that I could pop out the pins on his hands, swap them, and do this right. I also used some mounting putty to create a new "peg hole" in the space above the actual peg hole so that the front of the car will sit lower to give his head more clearance. Pics in a moment.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Courage: 8
Skill: 10+

Postby Seibertron » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Seibertron wrote:
mooncake623 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Well, this certainly looks more like G1 Mirage than Classics Mirage did (not my pic, BTW):

I thought this looked so amazing and made Mirage look much more like "Mirage", so I bought an extra Combiner Wars Mirage last night at Target so that I could pop out the pins on his hands, swap them, and do this right. I also used some mounting putty to create a new "peg hole" in the space above the actual peg hole so that the front of the car will sit lower to give his head more clearance. Pics in a moment.

And here are my pics! Thanks to whoever Saberblade borrowed a pic from originally. Please provide credit so that I can properly credit that person. Thanks!

Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby peaces » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:31 pm

i prefer my tfs with hoods in front like g1
peaces
Vehicon

Postby Railbomb » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Motto: "A leader who stays dead is the best kind."
Weapon: Sword
Seibertron wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
mooncake623 wrote:

And here are my pics! Thanks to whoever Saberblade borrowed a pic from originally. Please provide credit so that I can properly credit that person. Thanks!

That's David Willis' pic. Saw it on his Tumblr a few hours ago.
Shhhhhhh... I was never here. You never got anything from me.
Railbomb
Vehicon
Alt Mode: Highly Modified Seeker Body
Endurance: 7
Courage: 5
Firepower: 4

Postby Cobotron » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Motto: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow!"
Weapon: Sword
Hey HS, thanks for the tip. It sits higher and looks really good.

It fills out the back pack, and with the nice sculpted engine parts facing out looks a lot cooler.
You can see on the right side how it clips in.
Enter the COLLECT-O-TRON
Burn wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Let's get back to talking about Burn's mammoth snout flopping... :-s

Well I am Australian. It's kinda what we're known for.
Cobotron
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 41
Alt Mode: A Sleeping Bear
Strength: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Seibertron » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:13 pm

From Breakdown's gallery ...

My biggest complaint about the Combiner Wars line are the hands and feet. It tries to do 3 things as a hand, foot or a gun for the individual robots but fails to be truly successful at any one of those things. I'd rather it excel at one thing than fail at all 3.
Seibertron
Site Owner

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #24 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210209D"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #32 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 231222M"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #2 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 0923IM458 2C (CA) Arocena"
TRANSFORMERS #2 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers PRIME DIRECTIVE #1 Vol 1 G1 Autobots Dreamwave Comics 2002 (CA) Lee"
Transformers PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #40 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 DEC210540 40A (CA) Hernandez"
TRANSFORMERS #40 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #15 Cover B IDW Comics 2020 BOLD NEW ERA 15B (CA) Burcham SEP190684"
TRANSFORMERS #15 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #34 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JUN210495 34B (CA) Margevich (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #34 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Energon Volume 1 COMIC / PRODUCT CATALOG 2004 Optimus Prime Hasbro"
Transformers Energ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #47 sub IDW Comics 2015 (CA) Roche"
Transformers MORE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #30 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 FEB210479 30A (CA) Simeone (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #30 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #51 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Autobot WHEELJACK Transformers Generations Combiner Wars IDW pack-in comic book"
Autobot WHEELJACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #30 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 FEB210480 30B (CA) Tramontano (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #30 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BACK TO THE FUTURE #1 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 AUG200530 1RIA"
TRANSFORMERS BACK ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Rewind" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Victorion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Series PK Bruticus Action Figure	B3899" on AMAZON