This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #35 Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #35 Thread

Postby wetwithwaterwings » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am

As a big fan of Chris Bachalo's art on X-Men, I'm loving Milne's cover nod. Plus the throwback of "everything is fine" which was the introductory quote of Tailgate's when he fell into the pit on his way to the Ark early in series.

wetwithwaterwings
Micromaster
Buy from wetwithwaterwings on eBay

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #35 Full Preview

Postby Va'al » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:56 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Next up in terms of previews from IDW Publishing, Everything Is Fine. We swear. Don't believe us? Read the full preview for Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #35 below, then, and see what is happening in Cybertron's past. Then come back later this week for the Seibertron.com review. Which will be fine. Everything is.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #35: Days of Deception
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
Days of Deception begins with… PEACE AND HAPPINESS! To be honest, there's not much we can say about this issue without giving away the life-changing events of last issue. What we can say is this: everything’s fine. There’s no conflict, no sadness, no angst. Why is this a problem?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
HOW FAR IS TOO FAR?
The fires of change drag CYBERTRON’s darkest secrets to light. Heroes become villains, enemies become allies, life becomes death… and history's revelations may tear the AUTOBOTS apart.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:18 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Poor energon jetfire...I wonder if normal jetfire knew him ;)
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:18 am

Whoops, double post.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Gallifreyan Autobot » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 am

Motto: "The war is not won by who is toughest it is about courage and how smart one is"
Weapon: Ionic Blaster
Wow Energon Jetfire just got bodied and straight up killed just for the guy off that ones back
(fanwaking (if that is a word) continues)
Autobot tap out wrote:
i hope y'all realize once Va'al gets back from wherever and reads these post insulting his favorite character , somebody's not going to be a happy camper :roll: >:oP

LOST Cybertronian wrote: He is currently tied up in the Seibertron.com basement. When we see fit to let him go, you can be sure he will give his opinions on the subject.

D-Maximus_Prime wrote: I thought the Daleks had him? :BOT:

Hellscream9999 wrote: They do

The truth is revealed :shock:
Gallifreyan Autobot
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: ???
Skill: 10+

Postby prjkt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:40 am

Motto: "What'd I miss?"
Weapon: Laser Pistol
Woah, so this is basically what Cybertron would be had Megatron not risen up...

More and more I'm thinking Megatron had the right idea to begin with, and that Whirl definitely f*cked things up big time
prjkt
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby Randomhero » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:55 am

I hate this so much. It doesn't make any sense. What's the point? We already know by February's solicits that this alternate timeline won't stick, not to mention RIDs story not being affected.

Also this Cybertron shouldn't even exist if the the war never happened than no one would've stopped Nova Prime and the Dead Universe in the -ation series. The expansion would have happened! This is why I can't stand stories like this. More padding for Roberts to avoid the quest.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Peridot » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:01 am

Motto: "The sea, it calls to me!"
Weapon: High-Energy Laser Rifle
What's with all the Unicron Trilogy guys in the background?
Peridot
Combiner
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 5
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Randomhero » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 am

Metro Prime wrote:What's with all the Unicron Trilogy guys in the background?

That's another thing! What's the deal with that?! I can back up Rhinox, rattrap, waspinator because deep down those are G1 characters. Almost all beast wars continuities are in a g1 timeframe. Energon Prowl, ironhide, cyclonus? Those are alternate universe characters! Not to mention energon jetfire and Cybertron jetfire...THATS THE SAME CHARACTER!

Not looking forward to this...
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Peridot » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:58 am

Motto: "The sea, it calls to me!"
Weapon: High-Energy Laser Rifle
Randomhero wrote:

That's another thing! What's the deal with that?! I can back up Rhinox, rattrap, waspinator because deep down those are G1 characters. Almost all beast wars continuities are in a g1 timeframe. Energon Prowl, ironhide, cyclonus? Those are alternate universe characters! Not to mention energon jetfire and Cybertron jetfire...THATS THE SAME CHARACTER!

They probably aren't meant to represent the Unicron Trilogy characters proper. They're just generics that use their character models.
Why do you keep getting mad, anyways? Seriously. Calm down, it's just a comic.
Peridot
Combiner
Strength: 7
Courage: 5
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Randomhero » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 am

Because those arnt generics they're actual characters with history.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:22 am

Metro Prime wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

They probably aren't meant to represent the Unicron Trilogy characters proper. They're just generics that use their character models.
Why do you keep getting mad, anyways? Seriously. Calm down, it's just a comic.

I agree with metro prime, these are just fan nods, I mean would energon jetfire really run away like that?

Also did miss the part were this was said to be the present? I thought this was just a flash back.

Now about the part were you think you know what's going to happen because of the previews...So what? That's the same for every comic. You have a choice not to read the previews. Did you kick off when you read about the previews for dawn of the Autobots when dark cybertron hadn't finished yet?

Also the part about them not being G1 characters...Cy-kill from go bots was in Megatron origins ;) and also Jihaxus who came from G2. Then there's all the new characters who aren't from G1 because they were created by the writers of this new series. Like Drift (who then appeared in Age of Extinction), Tryest and I could go on. Plus there's all the non-G1 events that go on. Chiefly Megatron being an Autobot. I don't understand why you have an issue with UT characters but things like that are fine?
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 am

Because we already have those characters. There's already a prowl, cyclonus, ironhide and jetfire in this IDW universe. Now for the sake of this excuse of a story there are 3 maybe 4 jetfires for the sake of filling a background for no reason. That's dumb. You can do that with a character like Jhiaxus because he was introduced as Jhiaxus. You can't just throw energon Ironhide and Prowl when we have a G1 ironhide and prowl in this universe. That's dumb. And im not going to accept "all the good names are taken" I didn't have time for that in issue 5 of MTMTE then and I don't 30 issues later.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:10 am

I'm not sure I follow but the situation with Jihaxus is the same with these throw away background characters. The other jihaxus' s aren't like this version in fact to my knowledge there's three versions of the character, each with their own history. Regeneration 1 Jihaxus, Generation 2 Jihaxus and IDW Jihaxus. Now isn't that the same scenario as you are complaining about?
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:06 pm

No because G2 Jhiaxus isn't in this scene. If he was then that would be the problem because we already have a Jhiaxus. I am fine with the reinventing characters, it's using characters from other universes that already have a counterpart in the existing universe. Like using energon jetfire in a universe where we already have a jetfire. That's my problem.

Here's an example, let's use Star Trek. Kirk and Spock are walking and in the background is evil Spock and evil Kirk from the mirror universe. They're not part of the story, it's not something that will return it's just an Easter egg.

That's what I'm talking about. You can't just throw in characters that have existing counterparts for the sake if it.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby RevTibe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Randomhero wrote:That's what I'm talking about. You can't just throw in characters that have existing counterparts for the sake if it.
Using old character models as generics happens plenty of times - Armada was a big fan of it.

Personally, I prefer using an existing toy design as generics over random redshirts - tends to give the scene more detail. Plus, it seems pretty obvious to me that these characters aren't "Ironhide" or "Jetfire", even if they have a similar body. I just think "Hey, I remember that guy from when I watched Energon, that's a fun little easter egg".
RevTibe
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Buy from RevTibe on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Right i got the wrong end of the stick with what i thought you were complaining about, so I apologise.

That being said your complaint still doesn't hold water for a simple reason...Tankor..remember him or them as i should say. Fat Tankor and Thin Tankor as seen in the recent windblade mini series.

Also you said before about beast wars/machines being g1? Well your half right as they are in a splinter g1 timeline, just like IDWs series does.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Coptur » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 am

I don't understand it when people grumble about other universe characters turning up in the IDW-verse it's always been that way live with it.

Also it has also been long established that more than one bot or con can have the same name. Prowl G1 & Prowl BW (renamed Dent), Tall Tankor & Fat Tankor etc...

Sky High from the original line is the first evidence that two different transformers can have the same name.

I'm happy to embrace all three Jetfire bodies within the unicron trilogy entering into the IDW-verse as new characters.
Coptur
Vehicon

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 am

Where was bw prowl?
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 am

Where was bw prowl?
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Coptur » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:43 am

oops double post
Last edited by Coptur on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coptur
Vehicon

Postby Coptur » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:43 am

Coptur
Vehicon

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #35 Review

Postby Va'al » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Error. Please Repeat.
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
Days of Deception begins with… PEACE AND HAPPINESS! To be honest, there's not much we can say about this issue without giving away the life-changing events of last issue. What we can say is this: everything’s fine. There’s no conflict, no sadness, no angst. Why is this a problem?

..s fine

Story

Timelines have met each other and collapsed. Old friends and lovers are reunited, though something is obviously not quite right yet. Other friends and allies have revealed a different set of colours entirely. And as we explored some of the past events last issue, we delve once more in the days before the Decepticons were a thing - or do we?

Ah, good old days

James Roberts' script is heavy. This is an issue that will require time to spend on reading, rather than a quick skim-through. The play on the different time settings is clearly marked, and cleverly linked, though that is not the critical part of the connection between the two, as what they have in common may in fact be diverging once more, but further away than expected.

Megs channelling Roberts (and readers)

While in the present Megatron finally had a bit of a breakdown aboard the Lost Light, as the rest of the crew investigate Brainstorm's doings (and part of the yellow briefcase's secrets are sorta kinda revealed!), the past sees Rewind and Minimus Ambus dealing with Functionists, and the cunning and seditious Dominus Ambus himself.

Understatement of the Year

Does something feel off yet? It seems like something is a little off. No? Make sure you read *everything* that takes place in the issue, as details are constantly changing, for what seems to be a very good reason indeed in the grand scheme of things, and the upcoming Elegant Chaos event in particular, for which this issue a prelude of sorts.

Art

Alex Milne and Brian Shearer, with the latter helping on inking duties, have some great visual fun, despite everything happening in the script as it already is. A lot of Unicron Trilogy body types have been spotted, without being subtle at all, already in the first couple of pages, and there may be a reason for all of it being there after all. Though character design does not stop at that, with some twisted ..er.. twists elsewhere, too.

Plus a Dredd Bot

On top of the busy script and busy backgrounds, colourist Joana Lafuente clearly had a busy time coordinating all the multiples of the same type of Cybertronian, yet marking them as individual entities (much to the ruling classes' disappointment, one might guess). I am very impressed at the result, especially with the final product in hand.

Where's..?

Tom B. Long keeps on keeping on with the fantastic letter work, making sure to maintain the space that Roberts does not leave to the art, and . The issue also comes with an excellent array of variant covers, on top of the ominous Milne/Josh Perez main one. In the thumbnail is the eerily appropriate Nick Roche/Josh Burcham Functionist, and make sure to keep an eye out for the Andrew Griffith 30th Anniversary special incentive art, too.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

It's mind-bendy, it's space-bendy, it's time-bendy - it just pushes the envelope and watches it bend for most of the plotlines being teased up to this point, and some intriguing social commentary to boot. Out of all of this week's releases, this is the most dense and emotionally compromising, without any doubt, so be warned before you dive into it.

Everything is fine

We vaguely know what has happened with the Functionist Council in the past. We've seen something of Brainstorm's character so far. We know what Rewind used to do in the days of Dominus Ambus, and the House of Ambus overall - be ready to have all of that questioned. Again. And again. Elegant Chaos is here.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: - out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Wait 5-?

Can't wait to get this tomorrow, may re-read everything up to now as well :D. Though what you said about the UT cameos makes it seem that armada Megatron will appear.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
Multiple Universes are for Hacks ~ Perceptor

so, I know most haven't gotten the chance to look through their copies, but i'm going to put something out there, did anyone notice her?
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
News Credits: 25
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K27 RHINOX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Voyager Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K27 RHINOX Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROAD ROCKET Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 G2 Deluxe 2022 New"
ROAD ROCKET Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K22 DRACODON Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
NEW!
WFC-K22 DRACODON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEVCON Transformers Legacy Evolution TL-44 Deluxe Takara Tomy 2023 New"
NEW!
DEVCON Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORPONOK Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Legacy Deluxe Predacon Hasbro 2022"
SCORPONOK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K33 SLAMMER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
WFC-K33 SLAMMER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLAMPDOWN Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Deluxe 231208A"
CLAMPDOWN Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POINTBLANK + PEACEMAKER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Class 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
POINTBLANK + PEACE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 RID Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
SCOURGE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Armada POWERINX HOT SHOT + JOLT Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe 2023 New"
NEW!
Armada POWERINX HO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CROSSCUT Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Class Hasbro 2023 New"
CROSSCUT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WAR DAWN ERIAL + DION Transformers Legacy Evolution 2-Pack Hasbro 2023 New"
WAR DAWN ERIAL + D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K26 TRACKS Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K26 TRACKS Tra ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Legends Class Windcharger Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Optimus Prime and Diac" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Grax and Skullsmasher" on AMAZON