This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Combiner Wars Devastator - So Big It Needs Its Own Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Transformers Generations Devastator - So Big It Needs Its Own Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
william-james88 wrote:You know, the more I think about it, I dont get why Mixmaster couldnt be the conventional cement truck he was in G1. Both ends could easily be interchanged if designed a little different.
They went with a model of cement truck that would be of appropriate size with Long Haul's gigantic mining dump truck altmode.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:51 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
william-james88 wrote:You know, the more I think about it, I dont get why Mixmaster couldnt be the conventional cement truck he was in G1. Both ends could easily be interchanged if designed a little different.

Like Scrapper's missing elbows it's probably for stability. The cab of the original toy was rather big and still had the wheels in leg mode, while CW Mixmaster has a smaller foot, more room to wiggle and above all, no wheels.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 5

Postby william-james88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Sabrblade wrote:
They went with a model of cement truck that would be of appropriate size with Long Haul's gigantic mining dump truck altmode.

Ah, but as we all kind of agreed on, alt mode scale is not something any of us really expect from the brand ;)

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Like Scrapper's missing elbows it's probably for stability. The cab of the original toy was rather big and still had the wheels in leg mode, while CW Mixmaster has a smaller foot, more room to wiggle and above all, no wheels.

I rpeffer this reason to the one above. I am all for structural integrity :)
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby no-one » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:54 pm

I've been getting Deja Vu from that SDCC box.

It has finally dawned on me.

I've used that image off and on as my phone's wallpaper.
no-one
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 131

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
william-james88 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Ah, but as we all kind of agreed on, alt mode scale is not something any of us really expect from the brand ;)
Between group teammates in this line, it is. Hence the reduction of Groove to a Legends.

They wanted the Constructicons to all be giant mining vehicles, so the model of cement truck they went with for Mixmaster is the kind that is that big. And they wanted to modernize him.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Sabrblade wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Between group teammates in this line, it is. Hence the reduction of Groove to a Legends.

They wanted the Constructicons to all be giant mining vehicles, so the model of cement truck they went with for Mixmaster is the kind that is that big. And they wanted to modernize him.

It's worth noting that there seem to be enough details on both ends of the truck that Mixmaster can pass as a more traditional cement mixer if that's what you want him to be.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Strength: 4
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby william-james88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:01 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

That still seems to go against the general look of the figure that is basically: pure G1. I find that its G1 look is more invasive than it's theme of them being giant mining vehicles.

And as for groove, while I totally see that Hasbro logic being carried in both that release and this one, I am pretty sure the fandom proved just how much they would rather have a deluxe one.

MrBlack wrote:It's worth noting that there seem to be enough details on both ends of the truck that Mixmaster can pass as a more traditional cement mixer if that's what you want him to be.

Oh totally! Hence why I wasnt sure why they didnt simply go full on G1. But the wheels comment makes sense, and it seems the capability to make him face either way is a good compromise to the alt mode change for structural reasons.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby King Kuuga » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Motto: "Yesssssssss....."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
SillySpringer wrote:
MrBlack wrote:1) Prowl took Hook's place as Devastator's upper torso, with Hook becoming Devastator's right leg (replacing Scrapper). Thus, an accurate Prowlastator would require two new figures: Prowl as the upper torso, and a new Hook to form the right leg. In addition, building a Prowl who would be his usual black and white in robot and car mode and green in combined mode would tax even the most brilliant engineer at Takara.

1) Prowl is green in both modes as a constructicon, so it wouldn't be as hard as you are making it out to be.

Prowl is black and white. Period.

That picture you posted of Prowl in green and purple is fanart.
King Kuuga
Gestalt
News Credits: 4
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby william-james88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Hey guys. now that we have a better look at the remolded head for the SDCC version, which one do you preffer? I actually like the normal one but I preffer the paint apps on SDCC. And for only 30$ more, it sounds fair. But since I dont want to end up with 2 devastators (I dont even have space for 1 but I will figure something out), I think I will stick to the normal version dur to its head sculpt.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Va'al » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
That Bot wrote:
That picture you posted of Prowl in green and purple is fanart.

Or rather, colourist Josh Perez playing around with the scene. But yes, not official colours in any way.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby no-one » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:14 pm

william-james88 wrote:Hey guys. now that we have a better look at the remolded head for the SDCC version, which one do you preffer? I actually like the normal one but I preffer the paint apps on SDCC. And for only 30$ more, it sounds fair. But since I dont want to end up with 2 devastators (I dont even have space for 1 but I will figure something out), I think I will stick to the normal version dur to its head sculpt.

I'm with you Will. I'm torn over the head, but dem paint apps.

$30 isn't enough to sway me, so it comes down to deco preference.
no-one
Matrix Keeper

Postby Cobotron » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Motto: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow!"
Weapon: Sword
Just so we can see them side by side.

Enter the COLLECT-O-TRON
Burn wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Let's get back to talking about Burn's mammoth snout flopping... :-s

Well I am Australian. It's kinda what we're known for.
Cobotron
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 41
Alt Mode: A Sleeping Bear
Strength: 8
Courage: 9
Skill: 10

Postby Wolfman Jake » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
It's a real shame they couldn't have designed a head with a retractable visor a la Generations Metroplex. I wonder how swappable the heads would be with one another between the retail and SDCC versions of Devastator? While the paint apps definitely make the vehicles modes 100% better for the SDCC version, they still couldn't manage to get the hands purple? *sigh* I'm still holding out hope that we'll see the Takara version in time to make an informed decision before shelling out the dough for the SDCC offering.

Cobotron wrote:Just so we can see them side by side.

By the way, shouldn't the SDCC version have a metallic gray/silver forehead too, if it's trying to match up with the alternate cartoon character model (or the original toy).
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Postby no-one » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:36 pm

I would imagine the heads are swappable, but some of the purple may go with it.

I actually like the black forehead better. I just want some cool guy shades on my Devy.
no-one
Matrix Keeper

Postby jay5 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Paint looks good on the SDCC :)

The non-rotating mixer barrel, non-extending crane arm, and the likely non-jointed excavator arm irk me, though.

itscramtastic wrote:
megatronus wrote:
jay5 wrote:Ah, I guess if most of it is actually color-infused plastic and not painted plastic or painted metal, the poor quality of paint application we've seen on TT products won't be as much of an issue.
What do you mean? Takara-Tomy normally has AWESOME paint apps. >:oP
I agree with you Megatronus, I haven't run in to any paint issues with TT, jay. Usually the case is that the TT paint ends up being more accurate to the original item (either animation or toy model) I thought?

The reviews of some of the car Autobots have shown pretty poor paint quality control issues. Same with Soundwave and the cassette Decepticons. For Masterpiece-level models, they seem to have inferior paint to this TG combiner Devastator.
jay5
Fuzor

Postby jay5 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:50 pm

william-james88 wrote:Hey guys. now that we have a better look at the remolded head for the SDCC version, which one do you preffer? I actually like the normal one but I preffer the paint apps on SDCC. And for only 30$ more, it sounds fair. But since I dont want to end up with 2 devastators (I dont even have space for 1 but I will figure something out), I think I will stick to the normal version dur to its head sculpt.

Unless Hasbro has a store page where you can order the SDCC version, or you are able to attend the convention yourself, which very few people overall are able to do, it's more like 100% more, not $30 more. Look at eBay - all of the listings are around $300 for an SDCC version Devy.
jay5
Fuzor

Postby william-james88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:50 pm

carytheone wrote:I would imagine the heads are swappable, but some of the purple may go with it.

I actually like the black forehead better. I just want some cool guy shades on my Devy.

The shades really make all the difference for me.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Cobotron » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Motto: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow!"
Weapon: Sword
william-james88 wrote:
carytheone wrote:I would imagine the heads are swappable, but some of the purple may go with it.

ditto 8)
Enter the COLLECT-O-TRON
Burn wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Let's get back to talking about Burn's mammoth snout flopping... :-s

Well I am Australian. It's kinda what we're known for.
Cobotron
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 41
Alt Mode: A Sleeping Bear
Strength: 8

Postby william-james88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:52 pm

jay5 wrote:

Unless Hasbro has a store page where you can order the SDCC version, or you are able to attend the convention yourself, which very few people overall are able to do, it's more like 100% more, not $30 more. Look at eBay - all of the listings are around $300 for an SDCC version Devy.

Come on man, its written right there in black and white:

Retail Price: $179.99/Available through HasbroToyShop.com

All those who preordered him for 300$ are currently trying to cancel their orders, I am sure.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby megatronus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:53 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
jay5 wrote:Paint looks good on the SDCC :)

The non-rotating mixer barrel, non-extending crane arm, and the likely non-jointed excavator arm irk me, though.

itscramtastic wrote:
megatronus wrote:
jay5 wrote:Ah, I guess if most of it is actually color-infused plastic and not painted plastic or painted metal, the poor quality of paint application we've seen on TT products won't be as much of an issue.
I agree with you Megatronus, I haven't run in to any paint issues with TT, jay. Usually the case is that the TT paint ends up being more accurate to the original item (either animation or toy model) I thought?

The reviews of some of the car Autobots have shown pretty poor paint quality control issues. Same with Soundwave and the cassette Decepticons. For Masterpiece-level models, they seem to have inferior paint to this TG combiner Devastator.

First of all, you shouldn't conflate Masterpiece and Generations; even when both fall under Takara, they're different animals.

Second, the only MP figure I know of that saw widespread paint QC issues was Sideswipe, and that was several years ago. I haven't heard anything negative about the cassettes or Soundwave in that department, so if you could provide links or source those claims, I would appreciate it. I've had no such issues with mine.
Last edited by megatronus on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby steals_your_goats » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:53 pm

Weapon: Twin Swords
jay5 wrote:

Hasbrotoyshop.com Will have a limited amount of Devy and the combiner hunters set during or after sdcc for the convention price.
Delta Magnus wrote:This is because you are a hamhanded idiot.
steals_your_goats
Godmaster
News Credits: 13
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Dimetrodon
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby jay5 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:00 pm

megatronus wrote:
jay5 wrote:Paint looks good on the SDCC :)

itscramtastic wrote:
megatronus wrote:

First of all, you shouldn't conflate Masterpiece and Generations; even when both fall under Takara, they're different animals.

Second, the only MP figure I know of that saw widespread paint QC issues was Sideswipe, and that was several years ago. I haven't heard anything negative about the cassettes or Soundwave in that department, so if you could provide links or source those claims, I would appreciate it. I've had no such issues with mine.

Sure, however I don't have the time right now to take photos of my mint-just-out-of-box cassettes to show their mediocre paint and marred paint issues. They're rather disappointing even for their MSRP, let alone what I paid for them which was much more.

Here's someone who mentioned their Soundwave has poor QC paint issues. Mine is still en route, but hopefully doesn't have those issues.

Here's a video of MP-12 Sideswipe with pretty horrible paint matching between materials fresh out of the box, plus bubbled paint errors on the roof.

Don't have time to pull up more right now, but hopefully that helps.

So is Generations normally better quality than Masterpiece?
jay5
Fuzor

Postby no-one » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Cobotron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
carytheone wrote:I just want some cool guy shades on my Devy.

ditto 8)

Because you are cool guys. *franticly looks for some cool shades to be part if the group, sadly finds none*
no-one
Matrix Keeper

Postby Robogeek1973 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:10 pm

My plan was to hold off and see if TakTom's Devastator did indeed have remolding as teased, but this deco is freaking gorgeous!

Sadly there isn't a snowball's chance in a furnace that I'll be able to get online in the hope of catching him the two minutes he's available on HTS, so unless I find someone willing to snag one for me I'm outta luck. :lol:
Robogeek1973
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 3
Speed: 2
Courage: 7
Firepower: 1
Skill: 5

Postby Alpha Dominus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Motto: ""Strength through adversity.""
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Impressive. Most impressive. But I'm still glad I pre-ordered the regular version with the cool-guy shades. And if reprolabels jumps on this project I can decorate my Devs and not have to worry about bypassing others on Hasbro Toy Shop day, post comic con.
Alpha Dominus
Fuzor
News Credits: 1
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr U 1:40 virgin Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN240125 2U (CA) Tao"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #148 Cvr C 1:10 RI IDW Comics 2024 DEC231062 148C (CA) Harren (W) Campbell"
TMNT #148 Cvr C 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #1 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 JAN238528 1C (CA) Reilly"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #8 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 OCT231360 8B (CA) Hymel"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 SEP221742 3B (CA) Jennex"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr V FOC Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN249138 3V (CA) Liefeld"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #2 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 APR231615 2C (CA) Dutreix"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #2 Cvr C IDW Comics 2022 AUG221571 2C (CA) Martin"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr C Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230206 1C (W/CA) Shalvey (A) Moss"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr D Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230207 1D (CA) Lee + Chung"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr R 1:25 foil Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN240122 2R (CA) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT URBAN LEGENDS #22 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 Turtles DEC190613 22B (A/CA) Fosco"
TMNT URBAN LEGENDS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr R 1:25 Foil Dynamite Comics 2024 FEB240205 3R (CA) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #1 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 MAR231660 1C (CA) Myer"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 05 Voyager Class Movie 2 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Stripes" on AMAZON