This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Transformers Unite Warriors Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Transformers Unite Warriors Discussion Thread

Postby Emerje » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Deadput wrote:Why is this absolutely dumb argument even happening?

WHY?!

Because not everyone takes everything at face value. I mean, they just swerved us with Galvatron actually being Galvatron II. >:oP

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby fenrir72 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Emerje wrote:

WHY?!

Because not everyone takes everything at face value. I mean, they just swerved us with Galvatron actually being Galvatron II. >:oP

Emerje

That was what was bugging me and I thought that just by possessing Cyclonus, anime Galvatron colors turns into G1 toy color Galvatron
(a side effect) then now he is Galvatron II. But this makes sense as anime Galvatron would later be resurrected as Super Megatron in Return of Convoy/Battlestars there bye not affecting the time stream 8-}
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby fenrir72 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
o.supreme wrote:
william-james88 wrote: :lol: These are still the same people who haven't explained how Ratchet is alive and well.

Yeah that's a tough one. I used to think, with respect specifically to Wheeljack's appearance in Victory that perhaps *somehow* he wasn't fully dead in TFTM, and he survived somehow, or the Autobots resurrected him. But the fact that in Dark Awakening, all the Autobots who supposedly died in the events of the movie, their bodies were sent into a star in that tomb ship...kind of hard to come back from that. :???:

Prowl and WJ survival was explained in Binaltech. Ratchet not yet.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:03 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Playing catch up here, so this'll be a big one.

o.supreme wrote:I just think it speaks volumes that so many of us fans assumed Wandering Roller was Roller from the original series.
Maybe here on Seibertron, but in other places, back when the Grand Galvatron set was revealed, others were going "Hey, it's IDW Roller!" almost immediately after the reveal happened. Even here on this board did we have such folks as Mindmaster and SW's SilverHammer who were quick to recognize him as IDW Roller.

o.supreme wrote:I'm not trying to knock IDW here. I own, and have read every issue, but obviously the memories of these events are just not sticking, or are just not well known for so many people to assume differently. They go with what's familiar, what they know. Though WR may in fact be IDW Roller, this begs the question, why make such an obscure choice? All the other members of Grand Galvatron are based on characters from various animated series that are arguably much more well known.
Takara was simply looking to release the Rook mold as-is in Japan without any remolding. Sakamoto worked on MTMTE, was familiar with the character, and evidently felt that IDW Roller was a good enough fit to redeco the Rook mold into. I mean, since when is MTMTE considered "obscure" by this fandom in this day and age? It's arguably the most popular English-language Transformers fiction in the whole fandom at this present time.

Kurona wrote:Well... why not?
We don't really need to know the reason behind the choice. I just find it bizarre that this argument is happening at all; every single piece of evidence points towards this being a version of the IDW Roller rather than the drone. If you want to imagine it's the drone, then cool, all the power to you. These are at the end of the day toys and you can do with them what you like and headcanon what you like; imagination's one of the best things Transformers has inspired in my opinion.
But in terms of facts and what this is supposed to be, it's very clearly supposed to be IDW Roller. Again, everything points towards it and I just don't see why there's any doubt about it.
Preach it! :APPLAUSE: ;)^

Coptur wrote:
Autobot N wrote:http://imgur.com/a/tm4Gn

Thank you Autobot N

So if i'm reading this correctly Grand Scourge is Black Convoy/Scourge?? :shock: or....is he deceiving Ruination to gain his trust?? :(
I'm thinking (and hoping) it's the latter. Unicron summoned Grand Scourge to deal with Baldigus and the guy is tricking Baldigus into thinking Grand Scourge is Black Convoy, all so that Grand Scourge can catch the combiner with his guard down.

Coptur wrote:I Wonder why Galvatron II's ghost appeared above G1-JapToon Galvatron's body..ah man i need to read up on Galvatron II again from the old G1-Comic.
:BANG_HEAD: :BOOM: :HEADHURTS:
The Galvatron II reveal doesn't even make any sense. That guy isn't suppose to show up in this universe until after G-2, and the Grand Galvatron comic has the Galvatron in that comic possessing knowledge/memories that Galvatron II isn't supposed to have, but which Cartoon Galvatron is supposed to have.

Emerje wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:And yet, modern fictions have gone and transplanted originally non-G1 characters into G1-set stories as new G1 versions of those characters who look exactly the same as their original non-G1 counterparts. Both IDW and Fun Pub have been extremely guilty of this lately, so what makes that Thrust and that Breakdown stand out as obviously being the original non-G1 versions of those two instead of the same kind of G1-transplanted versions that IDW and Fun Pub have done and which you're suggesting has been done for Roller?

Well that's easy, it's because the story tells us so. G1 Breakdown has never been portrayed as being a zombie, but the Breadown in the comic that looks just like Prime Breakdown has.
But the story doesn't call him "Breakdown", it calls him "War Breakdown". Breakdown was renamed "War Breakdown" in the Japanese dub of the Prime cartoon. Plus, multiple characters can have the same name. This Baldigus comic alone contains a team called the Combatrons who Megatronia even remarks as a different set of Combatrons from those who form Bruticus. IDW's even made a whole deal about two guys both named "Tankor".

Emerje wrote:Likewise G1 Thrust never dealt directly with Unicron, but the guy in the comic that looks just like Micron Legends Thrust sure has.
Being a G1 version of Armada Thrust wouldn't make a G1-transplanted Armada Thrust analogue automatically be the same guy as G1 Thrust. It would just make him yet another guy named "Thrust" in a G1 setting.

Though, you're accepting what is said about that Thrust having dealt with Unicron at "face value" (which you use later), so why is there some sort of double-standard for when it comes to Roller?

Emerje wrote:And really, when Fun Pub uses an unrelated design to represent the G1 version of another character they at least to make them look a little like the character they're supposed to represent.
Oh really? Well, how about all of those originally non-G1 characters whom Fun Pub, and IDW (and even Hasbro via their Legends mobile game), have just straight up put into G1 settings with their original non-G1 designs carried over wholecloth? Knock Out. "Breakdown". Thunderhoof. Synapse (top-right Armada Sparkplug-looking dude). Twirl. Overrun/Surge. Wind Sheer. Skyfire. Bulkhead. Hot Shot. Heavy Barrel (based on an Armada Mini-Con). All of them are G1 characters based on non-G1 characters and whose designs look exactly like those of the non-G1 chracters they're based on, rather than their designs having been changed to look like any G1 characters who may or may not happen to share their names.

Or what of those whose designs Fun Pub/IDW/etc. only changed a little but still look like their non-G1 counterparts? Override. Lightbright. Sky-Byte. Skidmark (based on an Armada Mini-Con). Treadshot. Ransack. Crumplezone. Ser-Ket (bottom-right winged one).

Emerje wrote:
But if Sakamoto wanted it to be the G1 Cartoon Roller, why wouldn't he have just drawn the original drone vehicle instead of drawing the IDW character at all? Why would the G1 Cartoon Roller need to be represented by a robot mode it never had before and which the average Japanese fan wouldn't recognize as much as they would the little car form that that Roller always had? It doesn't make sense for Sakamoto to have presented IDW Roller's robot mode as G1 Cartoon Roller for an audience that isn't that familiar with the IDW character or his name affiliation with the little drone buggy that they do know of.

Don't forget, the whole point of this combiner was for Takara Tomy to use figures and head sculpts they hadn't used yet. The Rook mold would have been locked in already, but who else are you going to use to represent a six-wheeled vehicle like that? You talk about dual homages, well I think G1 Roller was the original intent for the character and the bot mode color scheme was chosen as a homage to the IDW version, but not representative of him. You spoke before about non-G1 characters being used to represent G1 characters, well that's what I think is happening here. I think he shadowed his image so we wouldn't think it was the same IDW character.
But doesn't a character's robot mode matter more than its altmode when it comes to the character's personal identity? After all, we're talking about a race of robotic people that turn into objects, not a race of sentient objects that turn into humanoid robots. They're robots in disguise, meaning the altmode is a disguise, as in a falsehood that hides the character's true nature. Thus, shouldn't we be looking to the robot mode, rather than the altmode, for determining "who", rather than "what", a character personally is?

Emerje wrote:
And it's not like Roller's so completely shadowed as to be unrecognizable to those who do know of him. His blue, orange, and gray colors are all quite visible on my screen.

"Those who do" being what tiny sliver of a fraction of the Japanese fan base? Seems like if he wanted it to be IDW Roller he'd have just drawn IDW roller and be done with it. I'm sure he didn't do it for the slightly larger sliver of a fraction of English speaking fans that know about IDW Roller.

Emerje
But there are Japanese fans of the IDW comics. Just last BotCon there were a bunch of Japanese people coming up to Sakamoto's Artist Alley booth asking him to draw IDW-original characters like Nickel and Sunder.

The Japanese IDW fandom may not be huge, but that there is one shows that there are Japanese fans hardcore enough to be into those comics, and it's those kinds of hardcore Transformers fans (of any country) that Sakamoto likes to throw bones to with his hardcore brand of continuity fanwank.

Kurona wrote:
william-james88 wrote:I was reading the comic and if the Roller that comes with Grand galvatron is IDW Roller, then this exchange makes no sense whatsoever:

Well, it is just Roller talking there. Doesn't give Optimus a chance to say anything more than his name. Maybe he's just a bit delusional
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Well I mean, the only thing Optimus says is "Roller!", and it looks like Roller is implying they can talk later and maybe not know that this Prime isn't his. Plus, Prime could have been informed by either the Oracle or by combination with the others that this guy was Roller and he was angry.
Indeed!

Plus, Will, were you not the same william-james88 who wrote this post about Wandering Roller being IDW Roller back around when the Grand Galvatron set was revealed? ;)

Emerje wrote:

WHY?!

Because not everyone takes everything at face value.
And yet, you do so for Thrust and Breakdown. Why accept them at face value but seek something deeper beneath the surface for Roller when all three are presented by their bios and the comic in equal fashions?

Emerje wrote:I mean, they just swerved us with Galvatron actually being Galvatron II.
Which makes no sense given the reasons I mentioned above in this post.

fenrir72 wrote:That was what was bugging me and I thought that just by possessing Cyclonus, anime Galvatron colors turns into G1 toy color Galvatron
(a side effect) then now he is Galvatron II. But this makes sense as anime Galvatron would later be resurrected as Super Megatron in Return of Convoy/Battlestars there bye not affecting the time stream 8-}
While it does help explain how Cartoon Galvatron gets reborn later as Super Megatron, it also conflicts with how the Galvatron seen in the Grand Galvatron comic was portrayed, as that Galvatron reads more as Cartoon Galvatron rather than Galvatron II.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby Kurona » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:49 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
I would also like to add that until he outright said he was Galvatron II, everyone was willing to accept him as G1 Cartoon (at least, japanese-continuity G1 cartoon) Galvatron. In fact that's kind of the whole point; it's a big twist.
If this Roller is G1 Roller, we have yet to have any confirmation of that. The possibility might exist, but at the same time, the possibility also exists that this story's Sky Lynx travelled from the Marvel UK universe. This is an innocent until proven guilty thing; until they outright say they're not who we've thought they are - through every single piece of evidence presented - then there's no real reason to assume otherwise.
Everything Roller has said and done, everything we've seen of him, presents the notion that he is a version of IDW Roller. The only slightly confusing part is the small exchange between him and Optimus in this recent comic, but that can be explained in a billion ways and is one small niggle of confusion amongst the overwhelming amount of evidence that he is IDW Roller. Until it's revealed he's G1 Roller, a reprogrammed and redesigned Sweep or a bizarrely different version of Energon Downshift that kept travelling through different universes killing different version of Optimus after different version of Optimus because Energon Optimus didn't buy him a round of drinks on his birthday... I'm not gonna assume any of those things and assume exactly what has been presented to me. That he's IDW Roller.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

New Images of Takara Transformers Unite Warriors UW-EX Baldigus / Ruination

Postby Va'al » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:49 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
While this may not be part of the big Roller argument of 2016, the official Twitter account for Takara Tomy Transformers is informing its Japanese customers that Unite Warriors UW-EX Baldigus / Ruination is closer to preorder than ever, with 28th November being its TakaraTomyMall date. For the rest of us, here's a pretty picture of the combined redeco of Bruticus, including gold paint and new faction symbol!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Windsweeper » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:53 am

Always love the artwork in these Japanese comics.
Always love to see other continuity Transformers introduced into G1.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby Kurona » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:57 am

Windsweeper wrote:Always love the artwork in these Japanese comics.
Always love to see other continuity Transformers introduced into G1.

Technically, in Japan; Baldigus is a part of G1 Continuity - Car Robots has been a part of Japanese G1 continuity for a long time. This comic finally explains how the heck that even works
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Albatross250 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:03 am

Motto: "Operation: T E R M I N A T I O N"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Incendiary Missiles

WHY?!

:lol: This reminds me from the past debate Rumble being Red and Frenzy being blue :lol:
What's Next?
Roller is either G1 Roller or IDW Roller? :lol: :CON: :BOOM:
Still Playing Fall Of Cybertron, it's still a great sequel!
Albatross250
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 27
Alt Mode: Type 74 Main Battle Tank
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby Evil Eye » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:24 am

Motto: "Don't be a goddamn coward."
Weapon: Acid Spray Gun
Damn, he looks good. Shame the hands and feet kinda suck (though the feet LOOK cool) because they're the only bitter nugget in an otherwise delicious stew of toy goodness.
Ha ha Transformers go brrrrr
Evil Eye
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 12
Alt Mode: F-4 Phantom II
Intelligence: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:38 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
He's being released in 9 days?! wow, that was a quick turnaround from his reveal
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:59 am

Black Hat wrote:Damn, he looks good. Shame the hands and feet kinda suck (though the feet LOOK cool) because they're the only bitter nugget in an otherwise delicious stew of toy goodness.
Takara evidently wanted to release those hands and feet into their market somehow, so this is their way of doing that. And it's a good way too since those feet better resemble how Bladigus's feet looked in the cartoon than the CW HFGs as feet do.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Evil Eye » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:07 am

Sabrblade wrote:
Black Hat wrote:Damn, he looks good. Shame the hands and feet kinda suck (though the feet LOOK cool) because they're the only bitter nugget in an otherwise delicious stew of toy goodness.
Takara evidently wanted to release those hands and feet into their market somehow, so this is their way of doing that. And it's a good way too since those feet better resemble how Bladigus's feet looked in the cartoon than the CW HFGs as feet do.

Oh I totally understand why they used them, I just don't like them. The hands are completely inarticulate, which sucks, and the feet have no forward-and-backward motion and are hollow shells, which also sucks. I think the feet at least LOOK the part, but compared to other hand options available, and even other hands HasTak has made (like Unicron's gorgeous grabbers) the single-cast fist lumps seem a bit feeble.
Evil Eye
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby william-james88 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:11 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:He's being released in 9 days?! wow, that was a quick turnaround from his reveal

He's up for preorder in Japan in 9 days
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:12 am

Black Hat wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Oh I totally understand why they used them, I just don't like them. The hands are completely inarticulate, which sucks, and the feet have no forward-and-backward motion and are hollow shells, which also sucks. I think the feet at least LOOK the part, but compared to other hand options available, and even other hands HasTak has made (like Unicron's gorgeous grabbers) the single-cast fist lumps seem a bit feeble.
To be fair, though, the HFGs as feet have zero ankle articulation, so the CW computron feet at least offer some diversity in posable stances. And all we really need the hands to do is hold each gun in its grip. Otherwise, as long as the hands can each make a fist for Baldigus to punch his foes, I'd say they serve their purpose decently enough. It's not like Baldigus is gonna need open palms to hive-five, wave to, or slap somebody. :P
Last edited by Sabrblade on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
william-james88 wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:He's being released in 9 days?! wow, that was a quick turnaround from his reveal

He's up for preorder in Japan in 9 days

Oh, I somehow missed the "pre" in the order
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5

Postby Evil Eye » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:25 am

Sabrblade wrote:
Black Hat wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

To be fair, though, the HFGs as feet have zero ankle articulation, so the CW computron feet at least offer some diversity in posable stances. And all we really need the hands to do is hold each gun in its grip. Otherwise, as long as the hands can each make a fist for Baldigus to punch his foes, I'd say they serve their purpose decently enough. It's not like Baldigus is gonna need open palms to hive-five, wave to, or slap somebody. :P

Yeah I suppose, I'm just a big fan of articulated hands in general. They're fun. And I must be honest, whilst they SUCKED as feet, HFGs made pretty good hands and surprisingly good weapons.

My ideal setup for hands and feet would be hands done like HFGs but with the fingers done differently to allow for more poses, and the feet being largely one-piece, hefty boots with tight ball-joints for ankles, optional plug-on guns for the ankle pegs which could turn them into little gun turrets when not combined, and unique sculpts for every combiner (so Bruticus' could have sculpted treads on them so when decombined they could form little tanks, Menasor's would be made to look a bit like "battle bikes" when not combined and would as such make his combiner mode look like it had rollerblades, etc). Granted it'd probably go way over budget, but hey, maybe if I get my own 3P company. ;)^
Evil Eye
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Kurona » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:27 am

Admittedly if the HFGs had to be forgone for any set, it's a shame it had to be forgone on a set with the tank mold. While said mold has so many negatives, it's HFG integration with the twin cannons sitting on the back to replicate the original toy's weapon is really neat and I love posing Brawl's vehicle mode like that.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 am

Black Hat wrote:Yeah I suppose, I'm just a big fan of articulated hands in general. They're fun. And I must be honest, whilst they SUCKED as feet, HFGs made pretty good hands and surprisingly good weapons.
At the very least, the hands aren't like the original toy's G1-molded fists, which were solid pieces of hollowed-out plastic:

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Evil Eye » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:34 am

Sabrblade wrote:
Black Hat wrote:Yeah I suppose, I'm just a big fan of articulated hands in general. They're fun. And I must be honest, whilst they SUCKED as feet, HFGs made pretty good hands and surprisingly good weapons.
At the very least, the hands aren't like the original toy's G1-molded fists, which were solid pieces of hollowed-out plastic:

Yeah, no kidding. One of the things I love about Piranacon is his non-hollow hands (with big ol' spikes on 'em!).

If/when I get this set, I might get an RID Ruination/Baldigus, give the UW figures some PE hands and feet (if they don't make the mustard yellow ones I'll go for the grey I think) and give the UW hands and feet to the old figures. The articulation wouldn't be an issue and I think they'd look good on him.
Evil Eye
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:46 am

Kurona wrote:Admittedly if the HFGs had to be forgone for any set, it's a shame it had to be forgone on a set with the tank mold. While said mold has so many negatives, it's HFG integration with the twin cannons sitting on the back to replicate the original toy's weapon is really neat and I love posing Brawl's vehicle mode like that.
To be fair to Dangar/Armorhide, he only wore and used his tank mode's double cannons once in a single episode, and without fanfare or even a name for his attack that used them (his use of them was part of a group attack by all five combining Combatrons/Commandos firing all of their guns on Scourge's/Black Convoy's order to fire). Every other appearance of his tank mode in the series featured it without the extra cannons.

It would have been nice for this toy to have included something to represent those extra twin cannons, but I am glad that they at least included an extra handgun to represent the original's handgun ("Dangar Gun") that was a different weapon from his tank gun ("Dangar Cannon").

If need be, finding another extra HFG on the secondary market shouldn't be much of a task. ;)

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Kurona » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:50 am

Sabrblade wrote:
Kurona wrote:Admittedly if the HFGs had to be forgone for any set, it's a shame it had to be forgone on a set with the tank mold. While said mold has so many negatives, it's HFG integration with the twin cannons sitting on the back to replicate the original toy's weapon is really neat and I love posing Brawl's vehicle mode like that.
To be fair to Dangar/Armorhide, he only wore and used his tank mode's double cannons once in a single episode, and without fanfare or even a name for his attack that used them (his use of them was part of a group attack by all five combining Combatrons/Commandos firing all of their guns on Scourge's/Black Convoy's order to fire). Every other appearance of his tank mode in the series featured it without the extra cannons.

It would have been nice for this toy to have included something to represent those extra twin cannons, but I am glad that they at least included an extra handgun to represent the original's handgun ("Dangar Gun") that was a different weapon from his tank gun ("Dangar Cannon").

If need be, finding another extra HFG on the secondary market shouldn't be much of a task. ;)

Oh true, I'm just talking about playability rather than accuracy.
And yeah it is essentially a nitpick; definitely no big flaw of the set or anything especially when the feet we got instead are both better articulated and better proportioned. It's a great trade-off and like you said, can just grab a random HFG. In my particular case it's not like Offroad's is doing anything
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Emerje » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Sabrblade wrote:
o.supreme wrote:I just think it speaks volumes that so many of us fans assumed Wandering Roller was Roller from the original series.
Maybe here on Seibertron, but in other places, back when the Grand Galvatron set was revealed, others were going "Hey, it's IDW Roller!" almost immediately after the reveal happened. Even here on this board did we have such folks as Mindmaster and SW's SilverHammer who were quick to recognize him as IDW Roller.

Hey, I was right there thinking it was IDW Roller as well, but with two more comics since then and more time to think about it I changed my mind.

I mean, since when is MTMTE considered "obscure" by this fandom in this day and age? It's arguably the most popular English-language Transformers fiction in the whole fandom at this present time.

Just because the comic isn't obscure doesn't mean the characters in it can't be. I mean, we're talking about a character that only had, what, four or five significant appearances in three years from 2012 to 2015 before Wandering Roller was made? Sounds pretty obscure to me, not everyone commits the comics to memory.

But the story doesn't call him "Breakdown", it calls him "War Breakdown". Breakdown was renamed "War Breakdown" in the Japanese dub of the Prime cartoon. Plus, multiple characters can have the same name. This Baldigus comic alone contains a team called the Combatrons who Megatronia even remarks as a different set of Combatrons from those who form Bruticus. IDW's even made a whole deal about two guys both named "Tankor".

OK, now you've lost me. You're the one that said the story calls him Breakdown and asking how I could be so sure it was the same Breakdown from Prime. So now why are you going off about how it's so obvious that they aren't the same for the same reasons why I said they aren't the same?

Being a G1 version of Armada Thrust wouldn't make a G1-transplanted Armada Thrust analogue automatically be the same guy as G1 Thrust. It would just make him yet another guy named "Thrust" in a G1 setting.

Again, I didn't say it would, that was YOUR original argument on how I could be so sure about Thrust and Breakdown but not be sure about Roller. Why are you suddenly trying to make it sound like I think it's also G1 Thrust and Breakdown? I mean, the figure is called "Armada Thrust" it doesn't get any more on the nose than that.

Though, you're accepting what is said about that Thrust having dealt with Unicron at "face value" (which you use later), so why is there some sort of double-standard for when it comes to Roller?

It isn't a double standard, it's a lack of evidence. The bio is written in such a way that it can easily apply to G1 Roller, his image in the comic is obscured with shadow unlike the other two as if it was being used as an Easter egg, but not meant to actually be the character, and his exchange with Optimus is strange since clearly after hopping through space/dimensions it seems unlikely that he'd believe this was IDW Optimus if he were IDW Roller.

Oh really? Well, how about all of those originally non-G1 characters whom Fun Pub, and IDW (and even Hasbro via their Legends mobile game), have just straight up put into G1 settings with their original non-G1 designs carried over wholecloth? Knock Out. "Breakdown". Thunderhoof. Synapse (top-right Armada Sparkplug-looking dude). Twirl. Overrun/Surge. Wind Sheer. Skyfire. Bulkhead. Hot Shot. Heavy Barrel (based on an Armada Mini-Con). All of them are G1 characters based on non-G1 characters and whose designs look exactly like those of the non-G1 chracters they're based on, rather than their designs having been changed to look like any G1 characters who may or may not happen to share their names.

Or what of those whose designs Fun Pub/IDW/etc. only changed a little but still look like their non-G1 counterparts? Override. Lightbright. Sky-Byte. Skidmark (based on an Armada Mini-Con). Treadshot. Ransack. Crumplezone. Ser-Ket (bottom-right winged one).

Maybe I missunderstood, I thought you were talking about times when one character was used to represent another character without altertaions. There's a number of those as well which I feel is the case with Roller.

But doesn't a character's robot mode matter more than its altmode when it comes to the character's personal identity? After all, we're talking about a race of robotic people that turn into objects, not a race of sentient objects that turn into humanoid robots. They're robots in disguise, meaning the altmode is a disguise, as in a falsehood that hides the character's true nature. Thus, shouldn't we be looking to the robot mode, rather than the altmode, for determining "who", rather than "what", a character personally is?

Tell that to the Dinobots. But I don't think it's impossible for there to be a Transformer out there that would just rather be a six-wheeled buggy hanging out in Prime's trailer all day instead. Never stopped a bunch of guys from hanging out in Soundwave and Blaster's chests until they're needed.

But there are Japanese fans of the IDW comics. Just last BotCon there were a bunch of Japanese people coming up to Sakamoto's Artist Alley booth asking him to draw IDW-original characters like Nickel and Sunder.

That's great and I'm sure there are others out there, but that doesn't make them a significant percent of the Japanese Transformers fandom.

The Japanese IDW fandom may not be huge, but that there is one shows that there are Japanese fans hardcore enough to be into those comics, and it's those kinds of hardcore Transformers fans (of any country) that Sakamoto likes to throw bones to with his hardcore brand of continuity fanwank.

Neat, but doesn't make it IDW Roller. :-P

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Speed: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

English Translation for Unite Warriors Baldigus Comic

Postby william-james88 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
TF Fans Sanchimaru and Jalaguy have put together a translation of the Unite Warriors Baldigus comic that was released a short while ago from Takara. This is very fun for western fans since it gives them a look at the Japanese G1 continuity which includes Car Robots (Robots in Disguise). Since Car Robots takes place in the future, this becomes a time travel story. Speaking of other oddities, this comic also has a "reunion" between Otpimus Prime and Roller, or at least Roller thinks so. It ends with a twist of Scourge stepping into the picture (which Scourge though?) and Galvatron revealing who he really is (but does it make sense?). Let us know what you think of the comic. And as a refresher, you will also find a translation for the Grand Galvatron comic to see if it helps understand this new comic (or not).

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Note that this translation uses the English names and terms for the Car Robots characters and terminalogy (minus Brave Maximus and Fire Convoy), so there might some slight confusion in that regard (i.e. - RiD Scourge's Japanese name was Black Convoy, while UW Grand Scourge is already that guy's Japanese name).

@Will - Why is the Grand Galvatron comic (which take place three stories before the Baldigus comic) included?

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #14 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 JAN220491 14B (CA) Chi"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #3 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 1023IM388 3D (CA) Bergara"
TRANSFORMERS #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 0823IM289 1D (CA) Ottley"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers PRIME DIRECTIVE #1 Vol 1 G1 Autobots Dreamwave Comics 2002 (CA) Lee"
Transformers PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #11 Marvel Comics 1985 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926E"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #3 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 1023IM385 3A (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #4 2nd ptg Cvr A Megatron Image Comics 2024 0124IM894 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #4 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #39 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 231222V"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WINDBLADE #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 1RI (CA) Pitre-Durocher 230124"
Transformers WINDB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MOVIE PREQUEL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2007 1A (CA) Figeruoa 230323A"
Transformers MOVIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #15 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 FEB220438 15B (CA) Duggan"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Energon Volume 1 COMIC / PRODUCT CATALOG 2004 Optimus Prime Hasbro"
Transformers Energ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #25 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 1A 210411A"
Transformers REIGN ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Sovereign and Alpha Trion" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Dead End Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Decepticon Nitro" on AMAZON