This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Top 5 Best Transformers Beards

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Top 5 Best Transformers Beards

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:33 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best robo beards in all of Transformers history

This is for both toys and fiction. How robot beards even exist on robotic beings is something only the oracle knows, but I do know this: they are magnificent. They appeared on the television show first but eventually found their way to the toys too. So, who's got the best beard in the business? Read below to find out (ok, I admit, number one is OBVIOUS).

5. Wreck-Gar
I am so impressed just how faithful a goatee Wreck-Gar's CHUG toy was given. The beard itself is not as impressive as others on this list but what it lacks in volume it makes up in style. And the fact that it was replicated perfectly in toy form makes it an easy pick to start off this list.

4. Unicron
Unicron's beard is more subtle than others since it seems carved into his face instead of being a form of appendage. However, it is still there and adds to his image of a remnant from a distant past. And it's Unicron, so that makes it easily the biggest robo beard of all Transformers fiction (or is Marvel Comics' Primus' beard bigger? Comment in the forums!)

3. Thundertron

This toy came out of nowhere. Thunderton was never in the Prime show and is not a reimagining of any other character in the long history of the Transformers brand. He also isn't an autobot or a decepticon which makes his release as part of the Prime Robots in Disguise line one of the oddest inclusions of all time. But man am I happy he exists. My puzzlement over his inclusion in the line and his origin (since Alex Irvine, the writer of the only piece of fiction this cahracter appears in, did not create him) is totally disgarded by my awe of his beard. This is BY FAAAAAR the longest and most detailed beard on any Transformers Toy ever. Hence why it is so sad that the way the toy is made, a good portion of his beard is hidden by a high collar/chest.

2. Transformers Age of Extinction Hound

The movie design of Hound's beard was one of the best things in age of extinction. It was made up of bullet shells, shrapnel and scrap metal, and you could see it flow in all it's glory. While the toy's beard was done on a smaller scale, not all details could make it in there. However, the fact that it was made of a soft PVC plastic meant you could run your fingers through it. Playable beards are a win in my book.

1. Alpha Trion

Of course this is number one, would anyone have it any other way? Not only is he one of the first (if not the first) robo beard we ever witnessed in Transformers history, but this beard is glorious and has its own evolution. Shows featuring flashbacks use Alpha Trion's facial hair to help the audience locate themselves in time and know what happens before what, which is a pretty big deal when the war you are watching spans millennia. His aging beard also means that Transfomrers age physically, which is a pretty cool notion all on its own.

Honourable mentions: I guess maybe Sentinel Prime from DOTM, maybe? That Spock line still makes my stomack churn whenever I think of it being used in that movie and context, and I am not even a treckie (born in 88). To lighten things up, here's another beard that needs some mentioning.

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4468
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Beards

Postby Rated X » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:55 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Really slow news day huh ? ;)

In all honesty im suprised you left out G1 Scourge. Other than Alpha Trion, we had never seen a beard on the G1 cartoon before the 1986 movie. Seeing beards used on non-elder characters was a first. And I think scourge was the biggest shocker because you saw his beard first. Later on in the movie you saw the quints, wreck gar, and finally unicorn and realized beards were the norm. But when you first saw Scourge get reformatted from Bombshell, you were like WTF why does he have a beard ? That was a pretty odd moment but cool none the less.

Honorable mention goes to DOTM Leadfoot. The beard along with the bald head, visor shades, and what appeared to be a medallion on his upper chest was a blatant homage to Miami rapper Rick Ross. Gotta love Michael Bay for that one.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Syn_13 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Motto: "Time to weapon up, wallflowers!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Yeah, surprised at the lack of Scourge too, he's got some great facial hair going on.

From MTMTE - Minimus and Dominus Ambus?
Syn_13
Vehicon

Postby Deathsanras » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Come on... Animated Weird Al Wreck-Gar nowhere to be seen?
Deathsanras
Fuzor

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
5. G1 Scourge
4. AoE Hound
3. DoTM Sentinel Prime
2. Alpha Trion
1. Unicron
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Rodimus Prime wrote:5. G1 Scourge
4. AoE Hound
3. DoTM Sentinel Prime
2. Alpha Trion
1. Unicron

Nice!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Desslok2201 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:22 pm

If Chromia married Tracks, would she count?
Desslok2201
Targetmaster

Postby Black Bumblebee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:10 pm

LOL to Desslok. Me, I'd put Shattered Glass Rodimus on the list. It's one of those "we know he's the evil one, because he has a beard, man..."
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Pepsimus to see the latest episodes of The War Within animated, adapted from the comic of the same name. Episodes 1 & 2 complete!
Black Bumblebee
Pretender
News Credits: 2
Buy from Black Bumblebee on eBay

Postby YRQRM0 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:13 pm

I've never even thought of Unicron's face as having facial hair...
YRQRM0
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 1
Watch YRQRM0 on YouTube
Strength: 6
Speed: 6

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:35 pm

YRQRM0 wrote:I've never even thought of Unicron's face as having facial hair...
That would be a really really pronounced chin! :lol:
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
:( no Rhinox? And what about shattered glass Rodimus.

Factoring those my list would be like this.

5) Unicron. Yes I'm putting the god of chaos here. It's just not that fearsome. It's the horns that make him more menacing. It's just like he stuck some metal on there to get into a beard only event at a robot club

4)Rhinox. The first beard rendered in 3D in the transformers franchise. And it was the beard of a mighty warrior with a gatling cannon shame then that he never got any of the shiny upgrades in the show that most of the rest of the characters got.

3) Alpha Trion. As William points out this was proof that the bots can age. In truth him and the next ones are all awesome to me but putting them as a joint 1 would seem like a cop out so A3 is at number 3.

2) Wreck Gar. There is several awesome things about wreck gar, his facial hair is just one of them. Fun fact: another one of the awesome things is that in the movie he was voiced by Eric idle, one of the monty python crew.

1. Shattered Glass Rodimus. Evil characters never seem complete without a moustache to twirl and what goes with a moustache then a beard.

There is also a fair few characters I think would just be more awesome with a great big bushy beard like grimlock and warpath.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby shajaki » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
as far as the toys go, id have given the top spot united/RTS wreck-gar. style goes a long way for me ;)
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby padfoo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Weapon: Concussion Cannon
Wreck-Gar wins hands down, there is a reason why he is featured in the article for this post. It commands attention, a second look and man does he have style!!
padfoo
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4
Strength: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby Ultra Markus » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
what no mention of ROTF Jetfire?
Attachments
char_5508.jpg
char_5508.jpg (16.86 KiB) Viewed 49340 times
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Blackstreak » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
I'd have to agree w/ all of this. Never would have considered Unicron to be bearded and Movie Hound's is by far the fullest. Like the beard of a dwarf. An excellent top 5 list.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 pm

william-james88 wrote:And it's Unicron, so that makes it easily the biggest robo beard of all Transformers fiction (or is Marvel Comics' Primus' beard bigger?
Somehow I missed this the 1st time. Primus doesn't have a beard in the comics.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby Bumblevivisector » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:49 pm

Rated X wrote:In all honesty im suprised you left out G1 Scourge. Other than Alpha Trion, we had never seen a beard on the G1 cartoon before the 1986 movie. Seeing beards used on non-elder characters was a first. And I think scourge was the biggest shocker because you saw his beard first.

Funny you should mention that, because I too think of Scourge's beard as "first", but because he had the first toy with distinct facial hair. That is, he and Wheelie were the two TF:TM toys I got for my 7th birthday in '86, prior to seeing the Movie, leaving me to wonder where this dramatic but awesome departure from prior TF style was coming from. Add in his shellformerness allowing for unprecedentedly awesome torso and arm sculpting, and the whole Blue-Manchu-vian package made a HUGE impression on me, well before the Movie told me who he was, or that I'd want half a dozen of him.
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
Strength: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Tsutsukakushi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:03 pm

5. DOTM Sentinel Prime
4. ROTF Jetfire
3. G1 Scourge
2. Alpha Trion
1. Unicron
Tsutsukakushi
City Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby Optimizzy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Motto: "One look at me and you're lost."
Weapon: Requiem Blaster
I think 5 is too limiting. Left out too much awesome like scourge. His beard beats out Wreck-gars IMHO.

I Like the list but it feel inconclusive
I have been into transformers since 1984.
While I love G1 I also love new innovations and takes on the characters.
I prefer official Hasbro releases of stuff for the most part
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese original Transformers media or designs.
It's easier for me to say which are my LEAST favorite toy lines: Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise.
TFCon List: Classics Skywarp, General Optimus, BW Airrazor, Transmetal Tarantulus, Alternity Prime, Fire Convoy
Optimizzy
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Courage: 8

Postby Optimizzy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Motto: "One look at me and you're lost."
Weapon: Requiem Blaster
Rodimus Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:And it's Unicron, so that makes it easily the biggest robo beard of all Transformers fiction (or is Marvel Comics' Primus' beard bigger?
Somehow I missed this the 1st time. Primus doesn't have a beard in the comics.

Yeah, I thought maybe I was mistaken but he's described as looking like Rodimus.
I have been into transformers since 1984.
While I love G1 I also love new innovations and takes on the characters.
I prefer official Hasbro releases of stuff for the most part
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese original Transformers media or designs.
It's easier for me to say which are my LEAST favorite toy lines: Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise.
TFCon List: Classics Skywarp, General Optimus, BW Airrazor, Transmetal Tarantulus, Alternity Prime, Fire Convoy
Optimizzy
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Speed: 5

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
william-james88 wrote:My puzzlement over his inclusion in the line and his origin (since Alex Irvine, the writer of the only piece of fiction this cahracter appears in, did not create him)
He was also in the Retribution novel, which was thankfully not written by Irvine.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Optimizzy wrote:I think 5 is too limiting. Left out too much awesome like scourge. His beard beats out Wreck-gars IMHO.

I Like the list but it feel inconclusive

Thats why we have this awesome comments section. Like that we have an awesome new Beard Thread started and we can all share on what we believe to be the best beards in the business.

And as for Primus having a beard, I am basing it off the wiki which shows him with what might be considered digital muttonchops :

The picture is accompanied by the following tagline:

They call him Gee-Oh-Dee
And he the big daddy
He look like me
But he more beardie
With "beardie" being linked to the "facial hair" page.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Primus sometimes seems to have a sort of soul patch on his chin:

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Firepower: 7

Postby Cobotron » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:26 pm

Motto: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow!"
Weapon: Sword
I said it before, but I'll say it again.
You forgot one.
MINE! :lol:

Fun stuff WJ.
Enter the COLLECT-O-TRON
Burn wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Let's get back to talking about Burn's mammoth snout flopping... :-s

Well I am Australian. It's kinda what we're known for.
Cobotron
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 41
Alt Mode: A Sleeping Bear
Strength: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:31 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
No Scourge and TFA Wreck-Gar? What about the thingamagig on all full faced Transformers? Is that not a mini beard of sorts? ;)
Last edited by fenrir72 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Next

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MOVIE PREQUEL #1 RI-B IDW Comics 2007 1RIB 230323"
Transformers MOVIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 1123IM897 (CA) Fornes (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #1 3rd ptg Im ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #39 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 NOV210456 39B (CA) Simone"
TRANSFORMERS #39 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 0723IM409 4D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 AUG210537 1A"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #29 Marvel Comics 1987 (W/CA) Budiansky 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "REVOLUTION TRANSFORMERS One-Shot Main Cover IDW Comics 2016 (CA) Matere 230124"
REVOLUTION TRANSFO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #1 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 1A 0623IM807 (CA) Milana + Leoni"
COBRA COMMANDER #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS '84 Secrets & Lies #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 MAR200703 2A (CA) Guidi"
TRANSFORMERS '84 S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM821 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ESCAPE #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 DEC200471 3B (CA) Malkova"
TRANSFORMERS ESCAP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 4A (CA) Lawrence"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BACK TO THE FUTURE #1 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 AUG200530 1RIA"
TRANSFORMERS BACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #18 Cover B IDW Comics 2020 BOLD NEW ERA 18B DEC190651"
TRANSFORMERS #18 C ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Blades Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Blaster and Twin Cast (Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON