This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Combiner Wars - The Transformers and Windblade

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Combiner Wars - The Transformers and Windblade

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:38 am

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Aaaaaaaaaand there goes my love of the direction Prowl's character devyhas taken up till now. Hopefully he is still scheming, but I'm so SO so sad that he now combines with Optimus, a leader he has struggled to agree with and can never seem to see optic to optic.

I do kinda like what Starscream did to Scoop, though. It just makes sense.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby King Kuuga » Thu May 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Motto: "Yesssssssss....."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
For what it's worth, he didn't combine by choice.
King Kuuga
Gestalt
News Credits: 4
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby MrBlack » Thu May 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Aaaaaaaaaand there goes my love of the direction Prowl's character devyhas taken up till now. Hopefully he is still scheming, but I'm so SO so sad that he now combines with Optimus, a leader he has struggled to agree with and can never seem to see optic to optic.

I do kinda like what Starscream did to Scoop, though. It just makes sense.

Given how the gestalt mind seems to "bleed" between the different members, I wonder how unified in purpose Ultra Prime will be. Mirage, Ironhide, and Sunstreaker are loyal to Optimus, but Prowl is his own bot. He won't be able to "guide" Ultra Prime the same way he tried to "guide" Devastator either. Optimus is too strong a personality, and the rest of the gestalt will follow his lead rather than Prowl's.

On the other hand, if we do see a true merging of personalities, we may just end up seeing a more ruthless than usual version of Optimus.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Strength: 4
Speed: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Thu May 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Or perhaps due to the mind melding that occurs during combination, Prowl might see things Prime's way and develop a more respectful understanding.
BATTLEMASTER IIC
Vehicon

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Fri May 22, 2015 3:04 am

BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:Or perhaps due to the mind melding that occurs during combination, Prowl might see things Prime's way and develop a more respectful understanding.

That's what I'm afraid of. Prowl losing the character development and becoming a straight up good guy.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt

Postby Va'al » Fri May 22, 2015 11:03 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Alex update: Review will be up by Saturday morning. Sorry about the delay, it's been manic this side of the screen.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Fri May 22, 2015 11:47 am

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
Hey uh, has windblade #3(?) been delayed till next month?
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
News Credits: 25
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10

Postby Va'al » Fri May 22, 2015 11:48 am

Apparently so.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW Transformers: Combiner Wars #4 - The Transformers #41 Review

Postby Va'al » Sat May 23, 2015 9:48 am

Orange is the New Green
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
DESPERATE ACTIONS! As the SPACEBRIDGE reaches across the stars, will anyone stand against STARSCREAM? The answer is yes—but the cure might prove worse than the disease.

Maybe he actually cares! (...)

Story

The IDW Transformers Combiner Wars Mairghread Scott/John Barber crossover arc switches back for its fourth chapter to The Transformers ongoing, and its writer Barber, with the current playing field riddled by ruins, frustrated Cybertronians, understandably scared Camiens, ambiguous pretty much everyone else, and several schemers on the loose, of course.

Quick recap, thanks

If Starscream is made to be the most explicit in his intentions for the future of Cybertron (and its problematic status of 'homeland' or 'centre of the universe') - and he does get to play a lot with all his little, and not so little, secrets - the real focus in this issue is undoubtedly Prowl, and the enormous quantity of turmoil he carries with him.

And Bob, obviously

Baggage that he has carried for a very very long time, admittedly, and always bubbling just beneath the surface. The long conversation, the effective backbone of this book, between Prowl and Optimus Prime, is a very good example of the type of emotional level that Barber can tap into in more serious storylines, and reveals a Prowl with actual feelings, disguised under a veneer of cold calculation.

That's.. quite a list

A possibly slower issue in its first acts, with some expected combiner fights as it progresses, an entirely expected twist at the very end (though one I am very curious as to how it will play out, and well executed nonetheless) and some well staged tension between the various characters used at the centre of the story, and a very good addition to the event so far.

Art

As Livio Ramondelli keeps to interior art duties, we see a massive difference from the previous, supposedly rushed, issue - the lines and colours for the characters, especially in their expressivity (both in body language and facial), are stunningly executed, and work really effectively for the serious tones and rising tides of the story and their interactions.

A mighty fine Windblade, right there

I will have a little moment here, as there is a wonderful chromatic game being played out in the issue, with the big opposition of darkened reds (cells and optics) and blues (Spacebridge and shadows) - with some almost unexpected yellows. And they serve as backdrop for the different scenes, ultimately exploding in a much brighter, much open landscape in the finale, under the aegis of the Spacebridge.

Not shown here - have some sky instead

Tom B. Long provides the usual masterful font and lettering work, grounding the dialogue and the locations in where the reader needs them to be, and gets some fun moments in transitions, too. As for the covers, we get the magnificent Emperor Starscream by Casey Coller/Joana Lafuente, a first half of Ramondelli's Optimus Prime poster cover, and the thumbnailed (perhaps another Marcelo Matere piece? Hasbro - credits please) Optimus Maximus.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As I've said above, the issue plays a very interesting, if initially slower, game of revealing tensions and starting to prod at them without exploding until the very very end. And it was a strategy that, for me, really paid off - it shows Prowl's inner workings in a lot of ways, without removing the build-up he has received so far, and shows just how much of Optimus' influence can sway the game (and the franchise, really).

It's.. still.. coming.

We get even more on how combiner technology may not just be a technology of combination, but something a little deeper, and the beginnings of some serious power plays on all sides involved in this sudden, strange, large-scale war. And it all plays out across some closed spaces that quickly become uncomfortable for readers and characters alike - though in a good, captivating way. Next, the sort of conclusion!

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Bounti76 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:25 am

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
I was wondering when this post would show up. :)

I quite enjoyed this issue, and even Livio's art wasn't distracting until all the combiners started fighting. It was hard to figure out what was happening to which combiner in the last few pages.
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Strength: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6

Postby Va'al » Sat May 23, 2015 10:34 am

I have been silly busy. And sleep deprived.
Finally had time to finish the review. :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Flashwave » Sat May 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Va'al wrote:I have been silly busy. And sleep deprived.
Finally had time to finish the review. :D

Sleep is for Pansies!

Sincerely,
A Pansy.
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Speed: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Starsaber468 » Sat May 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Motto: ""The universe deserves freedom, and I'll see that it gets it""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
the ending confirms combiner wars ironhide, prowel, mirage, and sunstreaker but that combined mode in the fomics my gosh that is what we should of gotten
Starsaber468
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Watch Starsaber468 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Sat May 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Some good thoughts, Va'al. They help me to appreciate Prowl suddenly becoming a limb for optimus better. I look forward to the conclusion in the hopes that they don't abandon his plot threads.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt

Postby TGS1985 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Motto: "Don't mistake this as some misguided act of heroism, I'm only fighting because I happen to REALLY hate those other guys."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
Something that's really been bothering me for a while is how Scoop is back on Team Starscream. I thought after Dark Cybertron he realized the prophecy had Starscream as a destroyer, not a savior. Yet here he is stealing the Enigma of Combination and now joining Devastator on Starscream's orders. All the while it's obvious that Scoop doesn't even like Starscream anymore since he had him locked up. Just makes no sense to me, so I wonder if I missed something...
Last edited by TGS1985 on Sat May 23, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGS1985
Micromaster
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Courage: 8

Postby Va'al » Sat May 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Nemesis Maximo wrote:Some good thoughts, Va'al. They help me to appreciate Prowl suddenly becoming a limb for optimus better. I look forward to the conclusion in the hopes that they don't abandon his plot threads.

If you look at the Enigma scene, Prowl is the one to initiate the whole thing.
He knows people will follow Prime. He doesn't trust Prime.
He knows what he can do as a Combiner, and he's admitted that it's almost addicting.

And he wants to terminate Cybertron's interference with the universe.

All of this is making me wonder who is actually in control.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby RevTibe » Sat May 23, 2015 6:32 pm

TGS1985 wrote:Something that's really been bothering me for a while is how Scoop is back on Team Starscream. I thought after Dark Cybertron he realized the prophecy had Starscream as a destroyer, not a savior. Yet here he is stealing the Enigma of Combination and now joining Devastator on Starscream's orders. All the while it's obvious that Scoop doesn't even like Starscream anymore since he had him locked up. Just makes no sense to me, so I wonder if I missed something...
I've been reading it is he still views Starscream as the chosen "Conqueror" whose control/victory is preordained - sort of a halfway between blind(ish, since prophecies have a way of happening in Transformers) faith and wanting to be on the winning team.

Va'al wrote:If you look at the Enigma scene, Prowl is the one to initiate the whole thing.
He knows people will follow Prime. He doesn't trust Prime.
He knows what he can do as a Combiner, and he's admitted that it's almost addicting.

And he wants to terminate Cybertron's interference with the universe.

All of this is making me wonder who is actually in control.
Yeah, we're seeing Prowl trying to get his worldviews behind Optimus's marketable face. The Constructicons influenced Prowl's behavior when he lead Prowlestator, Blackjack's anger issues are messing with Menasor and Scoop's belief in the Chosen One controls Devastator. If deeply held beliefs of a single component can so heavily influence the combiner, it seems likely that Combiner Prime will carry a Cybertronian Isolationist view.
RevTibe
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Buy from RevTibe on eBay

Postby TGS1985 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Motto: "Don't mistake this as some misguided act of heroism, I'm only fighting because I happen to REALLY hate those other guys."
RevTibe wrote:I've been reading it is he still views Starscream as the chosen "Conqueror" whose control/victory is preordained - sort of a halfway between blind(ish, since prophecies have a way of happening in Transformers) faith and wanting to be on the winning team.

Ah so his personality has taken a hit due to current events, as he used to be the goody-two-shoes super charitable type. Okay, just seem like such a drastic change for the character.
TGS1985
Micromaster

Postby RevTibe » Sat May 23, 2015 7:23 pm

TGS1985 wrote:
RevTibe wrote:I've been reading it is he still views Starscream as the chosen "Conqueror" whose control/victory is preordained - sort of a halfway between blind(ish, since prophecies have a way of happening in Transformers) faith and wanting to be on the winning team.

Ah so his personality has taken a hit due to current events, as he used to be the goody-two-shoes super charitable type. Okay, just seem like such a drastic change for the character.
Yeah, he's bit grumpier/more cynical. In the beginning of this issue we see a handful of Decepticons volunteering with repairs on Caminus while Scoop stands alongside Starscream, watching - he's not the same guy who founded the Construction Patrol to help people out of the goodness of his spark, now.

I suppose this could be a 'Your Mileage May Vary' thing, his development isn't given as much attention as the big names get. Personally, I feel like there are enough indicators of his arc to tell the story without being on the nose.
RevTibe
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Buy from RevTibe on eBay

Postby TGS1985 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:27 pm

RevTibe wrote:I suppose this could be a 'Your Mileage May Vary' thing, his development isn't given as much attention as the big names get. Personally, I feel like there are enough indicators of his arc to tell the story without being on the nose.

Oh I wasn't complaining. A lot of bigger things going on with this series both, figuratively and literally, so makes sense those would get all the focus. I agree with most that this was a much better issue than the last, although not quite at the MTMTE level yet.
TGS1985
Micromaster

Postby Heckfire » Sat May 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Motto: "Nothing is impossible, just improbable."
Weapon: "Claw" Flame-Throwers
Hell, I'm just glad to learn that my favorite TF character, Rattrap, turned out to actually be a deep cover agent for Prowl instead of the...um...what's an appropriate TF word for "@$$hole?" "Exhaust pipe" doesn't have the right impact...that IDW had seemed to be portraying him as.
"Grab a shovel, I'm one skull away from a Mouseketeer reunion." - Bender
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy...all right, give me the bomb." —Ultra Magnus
You got WRECK-ROLLED!
Heckfire
Vehicon
Endurance: 4
Courage: 7

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Sat May 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Heckfire wrote:Hell, I'm just glad to learn that my favorite TF character, Rattrap, turned out to actually be a deep cover agent for Prowl instead of the...um...what's an appropriate TF word for "@$$hole?" "Exhaust pipe" doesn't have the right impact...that IDW had seemed to be portraying him as.

I'd say maybe "Aft-hole," or "borehole" for LSotW fans.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt

Postby TGS1985 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Heckfire wrote:Hell, I'm just glad to learn that my favorite TF character, Rattrap, turned out to actually be a deep cover agent for Prowl instead of the...um...what's an appropriate TF word for "@$$hole?" "Exhaust pipe" doesn't have the right impact...that IDW had seemed to be portraying him as.

I'm with the Twincast Podcast in that it's almost a beautiful thing that Starscream is finally getting what he always wanted. That said I'm with you in that I don't like how cocky he's become about it. It's not that it's out of character for Starscream, heck far from it, it's just he was more compelling when he pretending to be all good and humble, well to others faces at least.
TGS1985
Micromaster

Postby King Kuuga » Sat May 23, 2015 11:37 pm

Motto: "Yesssssssss....."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons

Actuator
Afterburner
Boron Compressor
Exhaust Port
Hard Drive
Magna Fuse
Reactor Linkage
Skidplate
Solenoid
Tailgate
Tailpipe
Rear Thruster
Waste-disposal unit

Transformers fiction has been rather creative with its anatomic euphemisms.
King Kuuga
Gestalt
News Credits: 4
Speed: 7
Firepower: 9

Postby Heckfire » Sun May 24, 2015 5:42 pm

Motto: "Nothing is impossible, just improbable."
Weapon: "Claw" Flame-Throwers
That Bot wrote:

Actuator
Afterburner
Boron Compressor
Exhaust Port
Hard Drive
Magna Fuse
Reactor Linkage
Skidplate
Solenoid
Tailgate
Tailpipe
Rear Thruster
Waste-disposal unit

Transformers fiction has been rather creative with its anatomic euphemisms.

"Skidplate" works for me in this instance, even if it also works as a name, too.
"Grab a shovel, I'm one skull away from a Mouseketeer reunion." - Bender
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy...all right, give me the bomb." —Ultra Magnus
You got WRECK-ROLLED!
Heckfire
Vehicon
Endurance: 4
Courage: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 JUN238041 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #10 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 SEP210479 10B (CA) Williams II"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 0923IM467 6D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers GENERATION ONE #4 Dreamwave Comics 2004 G1 Ongoing (CA) Figueroa"
Transformers GENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #5 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 OCT210414 5RI (CA) Byrne"
Transformers KING ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM821 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers LAST BOT STANDING #1 Cvr D IDW Comics 2022 FEB229538 1D (CA) Knott"
Transformers LAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #43 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Macchio (CA) Trimpe 231222W"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #32 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 231222L"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1223IM327 5E (CA) Kerschl"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #39 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 231010S"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers HEART OF DARKNESS #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2011 3RI (CA) Farinas"
Transformers HEART ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATION 2 #4 Marvel Comics 1994 (W) Furman (CA) Yaniger 230915P"
TRANSFORMERS GENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #10 Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Baker (W) Budiansky 210422C"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Slugslinger and Caliburst" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Loudmouth" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Decepticon Nitro" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON