This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW And Hasbro Celebrate 10 Years By Extending Their Relationship - Press Release

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW And Hasbro Celebrate 10 Years By Extending Their Relationship - Press Release

Postby Va'al » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Just in from IDW Publishing is the following press release, confirming that their licensed links to Hasbro properties, such as our own Transformers titles, are not only going strong, but seem to be continuing to do so for a long time still! Take a read below, as the two companies celebrate ten years of partnership - and remember how it all started with the transforming robots, back in 2005..

IDW And Hasbro Celebrate 10 Years By
Extending Their relationship

San Diego, CA (February 9, 2015) – This year marks the Tenth anniversary of IDW Publishing and Hasbro being in business together, a relationship that began in 2005 with the publication of IDW’s first TRANSFORMERS title. To celebrate a decade of creativity, innovation, and success, the two companies are announcing the extension of their blockbuster relationship.

Once TRANSFORMERS was established as an immediate success, IDW expanded its comic line to include the Hasbro property G.I. JOE, then eventually the smash-hit MY LITTLE PONY and coming this March, JEM & THE HOLOGRAMS! IDW will also continue to publish the LITTLEST PET SHOP and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS comics. These titles have become perennial staples at IDW, and will continue to play key roles in IDW’s publishing slate going forward, in all existing formats, both print and digital. Fans of the line can expect much more of the quality products they’ve come to expect: Comics, Trade Paperbacks, Hardcovers, Micro Comic Fun Packs, IDW Limited collections, and more.

“At this point, I almost feel I’ve run out of superlatives for Hasbro. They remain an absolutely fantastic collaborator on every level,” said IDW CEO & Publisher, Ted Adams. “After ten years in business together, it’s clear what a huge part of our success Hasbro has been, and what an appropriate time this is to solidify our relationship well into the future.”

2014 was full of hits that captivated fans and critics alike. From the hit TRANSFORMERS event Dark Cybertron, to the celebratory 25th issue of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, readers were treated to some truly monumental stories. The critically acclaimed TRANSFORMERS vs G.I. JOE, series found itself among 8 “Best Of” lists for 2014, with VICE Magazine proclaiming, “If you were a child in the ‘80s and remember playing with these toys, this comic will work for you on that level. If you appreciate some of the most beautiful drawings currently being published in a comic book, then this can work for you on that level, too.”

“IDW embodies all of the great qualities Hasbro looks for in a publisher, and we share common values,” said Michael Kelly, Hasbro’s Director of Global Publishing. “With IDW, we know we can count on superb storytelling, innovative distribution strategies, and bold thinking. We’ve come a long way together in ten years, but this is only the beginning.”

Announced recently by Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc. the fan-favorite series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was voted the Best All-Ages Series and earned the coveted Diamond Gem award for 2014! This marks the second Diamond Gem award earned by the series, the previous being Best Licensed TP/HC in 2013.

With an extension on most licenses and formats moving into the future, it’s clear that 2015 is only the beginning for IDW and Hasbro.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW And Hasbro Celebrate 10 Years By Extending Their Relationship - Press Release

Postby alldarker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:36 am

Motto: "Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
Weapon: Vibro-Force Gun
That's great news!
I have to say, IDW has really done wonderful things with their Transformers license: from creating great new stories with wonderful artwork to re-releasing the classic stories form the '80's to even re-releasing stuff like Dreamwave's 'More Than Meets The Eye' G1 character guides.

Since starting with Infiltration, I've dropped so much cash on IDW TPB's, I might have bought a Grand Max for that amount ;)
I'm so meta, even this acronym...
alldarker
Brainmaster
News Credits: 7
Buy from alldarker on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: IDW And Hasbro Celebrate 10 Years By Extending Their Relationship - Press Release

Postby Burn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:49 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Has it really been 10 years? Damn time flies.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Rated X » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:54 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Killing G1, one comic book at a time...
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Randomhero » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 am

Rated X wrote:Killing G1, one comic book at a time...

By going from Two ongoing books to three. IDW has done amazing work and I hope we get another ten to twenty more years of this relationship.

You don't like? Don't reaf it, keep watching your DVDs of the cartoon till they stop working
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby alldarker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:57 am

Motto: "Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
Weapon: Vibro-Force Gun

Are you serious???

There's no doubt IDW has strengthened and enriched G1 more than any other fiction (including the damn Bay movies) has since 2000. And that's not even mentioning the G1 love they showed by reissuing both US and UK G1 comic runs, finishing off the US G1 comic run with issues 81 - 100, and reprinting the Dreamwave G1 profiles. They didn't have to do any of that, and yet they did! I recently bought the first five Classic UK Marvel comic bundles, and even just the bonus material and background info they added to the stories is just insane.

I'm not saying that every storyline IDW started up has been equally fulfilling, but the encompassing TF universe(s) they've created is just incredible.
I'm so meta, even this acronym...
alldarker
Brainmaster
Buy from alldarker on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Courage: 10
Skill: 9

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:11 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I guess I'm just echoing everyone else here when I say that IDW have done wonders. I mean ask me ten years ago if I thought that Megatron would ever be a good guy and I would of laughed but I love Autobot Megatron :)
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Rated X » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:21 am

Randomhero wrote:

By going from Two ongoing books to three. IDW has done amazing work and I hope we get another ten to twenty more years of this relationship.

You don't like? Don't reaf it, keep watching your DVDs of the cartoon till they stop working

Dont worry, I dont reaf it. You might want to do a better job proof-reafing your comments before you post. ;)
Rated X
Banned

Postby Randomhero » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 am

Boo hoo im on a mobile. At least I'm not crying over a comic "killing G1" like a troll like you. Go cry somewhere else while waiting for your mom to brings you your hot pockets in your "basement apartment "
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Rated X » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:43 am

alldarker wrote:

Are you serious???

There's no doubt IDW has strengthened and enriched G1 more than any other fiction (including the damn Bay movies) has since 2000. And that's not even mentioning the G1 love they showed by reissuing both US and UK G1 comic runs, finishing off the US G1 comic run with issues 81 - 100, and reprinting the Dreamwave G1 profiles. They didn't have to do any of that, and yet they did! I recently bought the first five Classic UK Marvel comic bundles, and even just the bonus material and background info they added to the stories is just insane.

I'm not saying that every storyline IDW started up has been equally fulfilling, but the encompassing TF universe(s) they've created is just incredible.

Lets see where do I begin...

Perceptor is a warrior. Fortress Mazimus is a warden instead of a fortress. Megatron becomes an autobot. Devastator gets prowl as a torso. Kup smokes cigars. Sweve is a bartender. Rodimus is a politician. Ratbat is a senator. Windblade exists. Tailgate gets a derpy new body. Headmasters loose their signature trademark. Cyclonus hangs out with autobots. Dinobots come from cybertron. Optimus Primes ugly split chest. Bumblebee in a leadership position. Armada Starscream is IDW Starscream. Drift the racing samurai. And I saved the best for last...ALPHA BRAVO !!!

Granted Im not a comic book reader, so stories writen by people who specialize in the comic book world wont appeal to me. But if IDW comic storylines are so much better than the G1 cartoon, why hasnt IDW been given a cartoon by Hasbro ? It seems like they are content keeping those storylines on paper instead of giving them a real push. Thats my opinion.
Rated X
Banned

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:01 am

Because they want the more kiddie friendly fiction getting cartoons? Plus it's far cheaper for hasbro this way as IDW are paying them for the licence to print transformers comics. Which incidently means that hasbro like this direction.

I do have a question for you though, Rated X, why do you even care? This isn't replacing any of the other g1 universes so what's it matter to you
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Rated X » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:04 am

Randomhero wrote:Boo hoo im on a mobile. At least I'm not crying over a comic "killing G1" like a troll like you. Go cry somewhere else while waiting for your mom to brings you your hot pockets in your "basement apartment "

Im on a mobile too. I just give a crap enough to proof read. Its ironic that a defender of comic books is accusing someone else of living in their parents basement. Now isnt that the pot calling the kettle black ?

Word to the wise...dont talk about peoples mothers. Its an easy way to catch a right hook to the jaw.

Mods: my apologies in advance, but I dont play around with that mother talk. Tell that dude to chill out.
Rated X
Banned

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 am

I just don't even ...
IDW has given us Combiner Wars. If we're "blaming" them for Alpha Bravo, then we should "blame" them for the biggest focus on G1 combiner teams since G1.
Gauntlet101010
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 1

Postby Rated X » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:37 am

ZeroWolf wrote:Because they want the more kiddie friendly fiction getting cartoons? Plus it's far cheaper for hasbro this way as IDW are paying them for the licence to print transformers comics. Which incidently means that hasbro like this direction.

I do have a question for you though, Rated X, why do you even care? This isn't replacing any of the other g1 universes so what's it matter to you

Why do I care you ask ?

Thats a valid question so I will answer.

G1 characters have had iconic looks and personalities set in stone for 30 years. Why make a mockery of them ? I wouldnt mind as much if the mockery stayed on paper confined to those who read comic books. But lately its been spilling over into the toy side of hasbros brand. I wouldnt mind an IDW homage figure if we got a G1 style homage first to go with older classics figures. But saying IDW is the new G1 is going too far. I like to call legends taligate "not tailgate" because hasbro didnt even bother to use the superior generations windcharger mold to give G1 fans a proper tailgate. They would rather waste money on entirely new mold that looks like crap all to glorify IDW. And why does generations springer make a better rodimus than he does springer ? Im not saying it was planned that way but somethings wrong with that picture...
Rated X
Banned

Postby Va'al » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:45 am

Disagreement and discussion is fine, but I am asking all users to please avoid insulting or verbally attacking each other.

Thank you.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Rated X wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Because they want the more kiddie friendly fiction getting cartoons? Plus it's far cheaper for hasbro this way as IDW are paying them for the licence to print transformers comics. Which incidently means that hasbro like this direction.

Why do I care you ask ?

G1 characters have had iconic looks and personalities set in stone for 30 years. Why make a mockery of them ? I wouldnt mind as much if the mockery stayed on paper confined to those who read comic books. But lately its been spilling over into the toy side of hasbros brand. I wouldnt mind an IDW homage figure if we got a G1 style homage first to go with older classics figures. But saying IDW is the new G1 is going too far. I like to call legends taligate "not tailgate" because hasbro didnt even bother to use the superior generations windcharger mold to give G1 fans a proper tailgate. They would rather waste money on entirely new mold that looks like crap all to glorify IDW. And why does generations springer make a better rodimus than he does springer ? Im not saying it was planned that way but somethings wrong with that picture...

Just to clarify I never meant to sound confrontational there, as I was genuinely curious since you said you don't read the comics.

Regardless thanks for your answer,I understand where your coming from and sometimes I have the opposite view wishing that figures were more IDW then G1. Hasbro though will stick to there course, they believe they have found the middle ground so as long as they make money, this is how they will do things.

Another thing to think about is that for some people, this will be their first experience with the franchise (the IDW comics I mean) and of course this is people who don't care for the G1 that came before (I respect it but things have been done better in my opinion) what about these people? Don't they deserve what they want like you do?
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Peridot » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:52 pm

Motto: "The sea, it calls to me!"
Weapon: High-Energy Laser Rifle
I never understood the IDW V.S. CHUG debate. The IDW designs are, in and of themselves, Classics-style redesigns. Toys like Generations Trailcutter, Brainstorm, and Springer are great Classics toys, comic-inspired or not.
Peridot
Combiner
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: 8

Postby Deadput » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
Rated X wrote:Why do I care you ask ?

Many of the characters in the IDW comics had no personality or anything defining before

Swerve was just a bad driver who appeared for a couple seconds in the G1 cartoon and Tailgate was just a dude.

Springer does make a good Springer just saying since I have the figure.

It's not mockery you just have a different opinion it's not for you so maybe you can just leave the thread now that you have left your opinion because if your aware that your going to have people fighting you over it then it's just better if you stop commenting on this thread for everyone's sake.

And your Alpha Bravo comment is just god damn ridiculous when you can ignore him on the shelves since Slingshot is coming and also the fact that he has only been on like one comic panel.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby Zeedust » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Motto: "Nothing says more about us than the futures we left behind."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
The critically acclaimed TRANSFORMERS vs G.I. JOE, series found itself among 8 “Best Of” lists for 2014, with VICE Magazine proclaiming, “If you were a child in the ‘80s and remember playing with these toys, this comic will work for you on that level. If you appreciate some of the most beautiful drawings currently being published in a comic book, then this can work for you on that level, too."

Really? Freakin' seriously? This was last year's big hit? Not either of the ongoings? Not Windblade? And "beautiful drawings"? I'll at most grant "valid stylisitic choice". But it's certainly not up to the level of Sarah Stone's work.

mirageandjazz1197 wrote:And your Alpha Bravo comment is just god damn ridiculous when you can ignore him on the shelves since Slingshot is coming and also the fact that he has only been on like one comic panel.

I happen to like Alpha Bravo even if he hasn't done anything yet. If nothing else, he stands out on a team where everybody else has basically the same alt mode.
Zeedust
City Commander
Buy from Zeedust on eBay
Alt Mode: Uncategorized techno-organic ground vehicle
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Courage: 2
Skill: 3

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Metro Prime wrote:I never understood the IDW V.S. CHUG debate. The IDW designs are, in and of themselves, Classics-style redesigns. Toys like Generations Trailcutter, Brainstorm, and Springer are great Classics toys, comic-inspired or not.

100% agreed. So what if the design is a comic based instead of nothing? Either way the ultimate source is G1, so I don't see the problem.
Gauntlet101010
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 1

Postby Deadput » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Nemesis Primal wrote:
I happen to like Alpha Bravo even if he hasn't done anything yet. If nothing else, he stands out on a team where everybody else has basically the same alt mode.

I like Alpha Bravo as well along with that IDW Aerialbots Barrel Roll who really should get a toy as well or at least I would love to see a custom of him from a Combiner wars Aerialbot.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Deadput
Faction Commander

Postby Va'al » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Nemesis Primal wrote:
The critically acclaimed TRANSFORMERS vs G.I. JOE, series found itself among 8 “Best Of” lists for 2014, with VICE Magazine proclaiming, “If you were a child in the ‘80s and remember playing with these toys, this comic will work for you on that level. If you appreciate some of the most beautiful drawings currently being published in a comic book, then this can work for you on that level, too."

Really? Freakin' seriously? This was last year's big hit? Not either of the ongoings? Not Windblade? And "beautiful drawings"? I'll at most grant "valid stylisitic choice". But it's certainly not up to the level of Sarah Stone's work.

I partially agree on that. As in, I agree, but also have seen what TFvJ has done in terms of reaching an audience that is not in tune or up to speed with current Transformers fiction.

Old collectors, vintage comics fans, casual readers - TFvJ got them all. And I mean all. That book sells like a thing that sells stupidly fast, never mind hotcakes.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kroenen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:18 pm

Motto: "To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"
Weapon: Buffalo Missile
Rated X wrote:Dont worry, I dont reaf it. You might want to do a better job proof-reafing your comments before you post. ;)

The ultimate example of I-have-no-argument: Insulting another user based on spelling errors.
Kroenen
Mini-Con
Watch Kroenen on YouTube
Buy from Kroenen on eBay
Alt Mode: A-10 Thunderbolt
Strength: 6
Speed: 7
Endurance: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Postby Va'al » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:43 pm

How can you not love him.

He's so majestic.

He's so selfless.

He's so stylish.

And a great team worker.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Deadput » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Va'al wrote:Image

How can you not love him.

He's so majestic.

He's so selfless.

He's so stylish.

And a great team worker.

Alpha Bravo puts the Alpha and Bravo in Alpha Bravo.

I wished Canada would get these damn figures already (then again I still need a job to even pay)
Va'al wrote:

Deadput
Faction Commander

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CYBERTRONIAN BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark Moon Cyberverse Legion DOTM TRU 2011"
CYBERTRONIAN BUMBL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OFFROAD SKIDS Transformers Revenge the Fallen NEST Global Alliance Legends ROTF"
OFFROAD SKIDS Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NITRO BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe complete DOTM 2011 230427A"
NITRO BUMBLEBEE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Age Extinction Legion Class Movie AOE 2014 New 220427A"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Age Extinction One-Step complete AOE Hasbro 2014"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRAVITY BOTS SIDESWIPE Transformers Revenge of the Fallen ROTF 2009 121027"
GRAVITY BOTS SIDES ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORPONOK Transformers Movie 2007 Burger King Kid's Meal Fast Food Premium 2007"
SCORPONOK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GALVATRON Transformers Studio Series 90 Age of Extinction AOE Movie Voyager 2022"
GALVATRON Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Revenge Fallen Robot Replicas complete ROTF 2009 210930A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LA15 GRIMLOCK Transformers Lost Age Extinction AOE Takara Power Battlers New"
LA15 GRIMLOCK Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Sword Slash DRIFT Transformers Age Extinction Power Attackers AOE 2014 210930A"
Sword Slash DRIFT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SIDESWIPE Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe complete DOTM Hasbro 2011 230427A"
SIDESWIPE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JETFIRE Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Robot Replicas ROTF 2009 210930A"
JETFIRE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Power Attackers POWER PUNCH BUMBLEBEE Transformers Age of Extinction AOE Movie"
Power Attackers PO ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Deception Off Road Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Drift Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON