This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #40 Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #40 Thread

Postby MrBlack » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:43 am

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
So, everything about #40 was awesome. Loved the Ratchet bits, loved the parts with Ten, and I'm intrigued with where Roberts is taking Megatron from here.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Syn_13 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Motto: "Time to weapon up, wallflowers!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
MrBlack wrote:So, everything about #40 was awesome. Loved the Ratchet bits, loved the parts with Ten, and I'm intrigued with where Roberts is taking Megatron from here.

Thought it was a great episode. Pleased that it didn't dwell too much on Brainstorm's story, just wrapped it up nicely. I really love the bits with Ten.

Also, don't trust Getaway. He's up to something dodgy.
Syn_13
Vehicon

Postby MrBlack » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Syn_13 wrote:
MrBlack wrote:So, everything about #40 was awesome. Loved the Ratchet bits, loved the parts with Ten, and I'm intrigued with where Roberts is taking Megatron from here.

Thought it was a great episode. Pleased that it didn't dwell too much on Brainstorm's story, just wrapped it up nicely. I really love the bits with Ten.

Also, don't trust Getaway. He's up to something dodgy.

I don't think he's up to anything besides maybe trying to come between Tailgate and Cyclonus, either because of his own interest in Tailgate, or because he's actually a jerk.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:25 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
I'm starting to worry about Va'al......
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Inaction » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 pm

So what do we make of the Quasimodo-esque vibe that was being put out with Ten? I mean yeah, Swerve is unquestionably mistreating him rather poorly, but I dunno if that means he's quite as on the level of straight-up abusive and manipulative as Claude Frollo. I could be reading too much into that.
Inaction
Micromaster

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 pm

I just hope Ten doesn't go postal and dismember Swerve and any others who have mistreated him. It would be cool to see him become a recognized member of the Lost Light.
BATTLEMASTER IIC
Vehicon

Postby Noideaforaname » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Ten!
Ten!
Ten!
I'm kinda amused that the only way to get a Ten figure is to make one yourself.

I had to go back to see that Rodimus took Magnus' little name plate. At first I thought Brainstorm somehow did it and got confused. :lol:

Kinda strange that Brainstorm would make a gun that shoots faction-color-coded lasers while secretly being a double agent... but then again he's never actually shot anyone.

Brainstorm is an ass!

Inaction wrote:So what do we make of the Quasimodo-esque vibe that was being put out with Ten? I mean yeah, Swerve is unquestionably mistreating him rather poorly, but I dunno if that means he's quite as on the level of straight-up abusive and manipulative as Claude Frollo. I could be reading too much into that.

Great, now I gotta re-read the ENTIRE series using Tony Jay's voice for Swerve.
"He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life."
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
Noideaforaname
City Commander
News Credits: 7

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 pm

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Where's Va'al when we need him to tell us how we feel about this issue? It's not as if he does all kinds of philanthropic things and is a part-time thespian and performs language arts for schools as a side job!

Lolololololololololol but really, this was probably the most touching issue since "Little Victories."
Ironhidensh wrote:Good issue, lot of nice set up. Gotta wonder just how far behind CW MTMTE is running?
. That's what I wanna know. Maybe...nah, that couldn't...could it? Nah...

Damned time travel hijinxes. That's all I'm gonna say until somebody brings it up again.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Skill: 7

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:18 am

With Ratchet off to find drift and First Aid making a contribution to the Combiner Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if Megatron becomes temporary Chief Medical Officer (he did express interest in becoming a medic before the war after all).
BATTLEMASTER IIC
Vehicon

Postby Va'al » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:09 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Ironhidensh wrote:I'm starting to worry about Va'al......

I'm worried about myself too.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Va'al » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:48 am

For the record, from Roberts:

Because people are asking: MTMTE #40 absolutely takes place before Empire of Stone.

Currently, *in universe*, MTMTE lags about a month behind the other IDW TF titles. Translation: First Aid isn't disappearing just yet.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Ironhidensh » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:04 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:With Ratchet off to find drift and First Aid making a contribution to the Combiner Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if Megatron becomes temporary Chief Medical Officer (he did express interest in becoming a medic before the war after all).

I would find this hilariously awesome.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Skill: 9

IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #40 Review

Postby Va'al » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:45 am

Ten Things We Love About You
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
Having saved the universe—kind of—the Lost Light crew deal with the fallout in a manner befitting the gravity of the situation. Kind of.

..with a hearing

Story

If last issue of More Then Meets the Eye gave us a look at the inner workings of the Decepticon Justice Division, this month we get a full return to the core, and the heart, of the Lost Light and its ever evolving crew, with all the weak joints that might need fixing among its members.

So, yeah

The general backdrop for the issue is the aftermath of Brainstorm's 'adventure', in the form of the first internal affairs the trial has seen. A general backdrop, however, that leads into the focus of the story: the crew's reactions, especially chief medical officer Ratchet. Of course.

Always busy (and grumpy)

Ratchet is shown by James Roberts as a primus motor of the crew, particularly its higher officers, but also the more marginalised, unheard and unsung voices so far. He operated with tactical and surgical precision, trying to cure, fix and mend whatever relationships seem to be not working on the ship, in an attempt to mend his own failures, of a sort.

Superscraplets, a terrible blight

The relationships, though not always as savoury as they could be (Getaway, what are you doing?), are one of the other major tenets of the series, and it was a fantastic opportunity to take one issue to wrap up some of the current plots, seed some more and bring up as many emotions as possible. While also, coincidentally and casually, leading into Drift: Empire of Stone, and past stories in the IDWverse.

Art

The artist for the issue is a regular single-issue contributor - and one who deserves all the possible praise for his work here: Brendan Cahill. The characters' emotivity is wonderfully rendered in their almost organic facial expressions, body language, and interactions aboard the equally wonderful settings of the Lost Light. And giving a hand or two (ten fingers) to develop the style of one of the creative, visionary, shy Lighters.

Ten

Joana Lafuente's colours not only highlight the stellar artwork, they also keep a sense of continuity with previous Lost Light scenes and art, and adding the personal shades (from lilac rooms to corridor greys) complementing the going-ons inside both the ship and its inhabitants.

Mood lighting

And even if there is less space this time for Tom B. Long's letters to have fun, they are always there, helping scenes, dealing with Roberts' script, keeping out of the way of the artwork, making noises pointed out when necessary. In terms of covers, Cahill and Lafuente shine yet again with the Brainstorm-centric variant (thumbnail), as Alex Milne and Josh Perez take an emotional Ratchet to the fore, and Nick Roche and Burcham show a more light-hearted 2015 Tailgate in B.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

If you're looking for a long look at Brainstorm's actions and their reception as a plot point, this is not the issue for you. This is an issue that digs into the raw stuff underneath all that, how the 'human', emotive responses of almost every member of the crew resonate and interact with each other, shifting the dynamics and preparing for the road to #50.

:>

And it's a touching, moving issue, with moments that wrench, twist, punch, induce smiles, grins and the potential tearing up - unashamedly so, mostly positive, but all undoubtedly powerful. It does it with the visuals, with the textual, with the story and most of all, the characters. Flawed characters, feeling characters, 'human' characters and -- wait, what did Ravage just do?

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Optimizzy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:15 am

Motto: "One look at me and you're lost."
Weapon: Requiem Blaster
yeah, 5 outta 5 that's what I thought too. or maybe Ten out of Ten :)

And man, what's Getaway's deal? It seems to go further than "Oh I like Tailgate and he's with Cyclonus" thing. I see some ulterior motive there. Like he's using Tailgate or something.

Oh and, Megatron getting that briefcase. I cant wait to see what happens with that.
I have been into transformers since 1984.
While I love G1 I also love new innovations and takes on the characters.
I prefer official Hasbro releases of stuff for the most part
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese original Transformers media or designs.
It's easier for me to say which are my LEAST favorite toy lines: Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise.
TFCon List: Classics Skywarp, General Optimus, BW Airrazor, Transmetal Tarantulus, Alternity Prime, Fire Convoy
Optimizzy
Headmaster
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:19 am

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Sometimes I don't loke Cahill's art, but I think that tends to be when he emulates a style that I don't care for. Here, I think he does a fantastic job; there were parts where I had trouble seeing the distinction between his and Milne's work, and others where I almost saw some Nick Roche in there. But at the same time, his powerful lines are always there to remind you who really is drawing.

For as much as I love James Raiz' art, I wish now that Cahill had drawn "Little Victories" instead, just because for such an emotionally driven issue, Cahill does a better job conveying emotion.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 6

Postby prjkt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:53 am

Motto: "What'd I miss?"
Weapon: Laser Pistol
Ironhidensh wrote:So, it would appear that maybe Megatron is getting back to his old tricks? Or maybe he really wants to be an autobot, and will go back to change that.
The look on Megatron's face as he listen's to Rewind's reasoning for shooting his unawakened self in #38, and the staring at his Rodimus star "for giving up his evil ways" at the end that issue, added to the fact that according to UM in #40 he's hardly left his room makes me think that he's seriously considering going back and finishing what Brainstorm started. Ravage's association with stealing one of the briefcases is interesting, as it seems he's taken up Megatron's offer seriously, not just following his instructions from Soundwave...
prjkt
Headmaster Jr

Postby sabrigami » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:57 am

Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
This was a great issue. The feels were strong in this one. :x

Anyone else getting a Skyfall vibe from Getaway? he's so backhanded with everything he says to TG. and we all know how Skyfall turned out :-(
sabrigami
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby MrBlack » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 am

sabrigami wrote:This was a great issue. The feels were strong in this one. :x

Anyone else getting a Skyfall vibe from Getaway? he's so backhanded with everything he says to TG. and we all know how Skyfall turned out :-(

Speaking of Skyfall, I wonder if Getaway knew anyone on Kimia. That might be his motivation for buddying up to someone close to Cyclonus.

My guess is that Getaway has some reason to want to take Cyclonus down, or at least hurt him, but he knows he can't do it directly. Murdering your crewmate is generally frowned upon, and, as Getaway himself said, he's no warrior. He is, however, a charismatic and manipulative liar; one would have to be in order to operate as a member of the "Diplomatic Corps." So, he's trying to harm Cyclonus the only way he can: by manipulating someone close to him.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr

Postby Noideaforaname » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:53 am

Optimizzy wrote:And man, what's Getaway's deal? It seems to go further than "Oh I like Tailgate and he's with Cyclonus" thing. I see some ulterior motive there. Like he's using Tailgate or something.

I... kinda hope there's a ulterior motive, because otherwise it's INCREDIBLY creepy. Getaway's insulting poor Tailgate by using Cyclonus, he keeps giving him "alcohol" after Tailgate made it clear he's had enough, and Getaway warns Tailgate not to tell anyone. And to make matters worse Tailgate is effectively a child.

Meanwhile Ratchet's right there but doesn't step in. Fourth unsuccessful attempt...
"He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life."
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
Noideaforaname
City Commander
News Credits: 7

Postby Randomhero » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:54 am

MrBlack wrote:

Speaking of Skyfall, I wonder if Getaway knew anyone on Kimia. That might be his motivation for buddying up to someone close to Cyclonus.

My guess is that Getaway has some reason to want to take Cyclonus down, or at least hurt him, but he knows he can't do it directly. Murdering your crewmate is generally frowned upon, and, as Getaway himself said, he's no warrior. He is, however, a charismatic and manipulative liar; one would have to be in order to operate as a member of the "Diplomatic Corps." So, he's trying to harm Cyclonus the only way he can: by manipulating someone close to him.

...or he's just super creepy and likes little guys. I doubt it has anything to go with cyclonus or insane theories about ties with Kimia and what happened there. Cyclonus is just Tailgates friend and Getaway is being played the popular quarter back who turns out to be that jock who apparently doesn't know the word "no".

Never thought that this would be something in a transformers comic.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby snavej » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Motto: "Follow your instincts and your common sense."
Hmm, Ratchet is still using big clunky telephones for some reason. Later, it will probably be DJD and crew vs. time-travelling briefcase.
snavej
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Small starship - able to traverse entire universe.
Speed: 3
Endurance: 3
Courage: 9
Skill: 8

Postby pie-man » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:07 pm

I wanna see more Megatron! Hard to believe that I'd be rooting for Megs, of all 'bots... that's the beauty of MTMTE, I guess.

Getaway's behavior is definetely creepy.... and it might not concern Cyclonus, but he seems to be brooding about it. Amid all the emotions & feelings, Riptide's action during the hearing was probably the funniest, in my opinion.
pie-man
Mini-Con

Postby Optimizzy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:14 pm

Motto: "One look at me and you're lost."
Weapon: Requiem Blaster
pie-man wrote:I wanna see more Megatron! Hard to believe that I'd be rooting for Megs, of all 'bots... that's the beauty of MTMTE, I guess.

Getaway's behavior is definetely creepy.... and it might not concern Cyclonus, but he seems to be brooding about it. Amid all the emotions & feelings, Riptide's action during the hearing was probably the funniest, in my opinion.

Ha. Yeah. I'm wanting riptide and nautica toys so bad now.

And yeah, getaway is kinda disturbing now. I didn't really see that coming.
I have been into transformers since 1984.
While I love G1 I also love new innovations and takes on the characters.
I prefer official Hasbro releases of stuff for the most part
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese original Transformers media or designs.
It's easier for me to say which are my LEAST favorite toy lines: Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise.
TFCon List: Classics Skywarp, General Optimus, BW Airrazor, Transmetal Tarantulus, Alternity Prime, Fire Convoy
Optimizzy
Headmaster
Strength: 5
Courage: 8
Skill: 6

Postby MrBlack » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Randomhero wrote:
MrBlack wrote:

...or he's just super creepy and likes little guys. I doubt it has anything to go with cyclonus or insane theories about ties with Kimia and what happened there. Cyclonus is just Tailgates friend and Getaway is being played the popular quarter back who turns out to be that jock who apparently doesn't know the word "no".

It could just be a weird obsession, I admit. I'm just wondering if there may be more to it than that.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
MrBlack wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
MrBlack wrote:

It could just be a weird obsession, I admit. I'm just wondering if there may be more to it than that.

Wait, people are just picking up on this now? I've noticed it since #28 that he acts all kindsa creepy and pervy around tailgate, like with the awkward touching and "don't tell anyone, we'll both get in trouble" attitude.
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Courage: 3

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #281 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 210518B 281RI (CA)Maloney"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr B Death Image Comics 2023 1123IM809 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 220721B"
GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 JUN230377 3C (CA) Mali (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 0823IM479 5D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #295 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 APR221557 295B (CA) Gallant"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2023 1E GI JOE 1023IM263 (CA) Sorrentino"
DUKE #1 Cvr E 1:50 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 1C GI JOE 1023IM261 (CA) Boss (W)Williamson"
DUKE #1 Cvr C 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #1 Cvr G Image Comics 2024 1G 1123IM203 Blank Sketch 240415A"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 3E 0124IM242 (CA) Kerschl"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 MAR200813 9B (CA) Williams (A) Kelly (W) Allor"
GI JOE #9 Cvr B ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE SNAKE EYES DEADGAME #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 JUL200573 3B (A/CA) Liefeld"
GI JOE SNAKE EYES ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #303 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 303C Walker + Segala"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 3rd ptg Image Comics 2023 JUN238040 (CA) Barry + Spicer"
VOID RIVALS #1 3rd ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Rewind" on AMAZON