This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion Thread

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion Thread

Postby Seibertron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
77Prime84 wrote:When will Hasbro get this?

Hasbro gets it (or at least the Transformers brand team definitely does), or else we wouldn't have Transformers Prime, Transformers Animated, or other examples (though I might argue that some of the greatest Transformers stories of all time are stories where they had outside help such as the G1 cartoons and comics and Beast Wars, though not all of it, which bears some resemblance to how things were initially setup with Paramount). The movies and their stories are out of their hands if I understand everything correctly. I'm assuming that it's similar to Marvel with FOX. Hasbro handed over most of their rights for control of the Transformers films (if I'm wording this incorrectly, someone please advise immediately) over to Paramount and Michael Bay waaaay back in 2001/2002 when these deals were originally made.

But I assure you, Hasbro (or at least the brand team) gets it! Promise!!!
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby DedicatedGhostArt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Motto: "i know kung fu. -Keanu Reeves"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
This is the manliest manly Transformers video EVER. It's WICKED.
DedicatedGhostArt
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 3
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 1
Skill: 8

Postby RAR » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Is someone gonna throw Money at Mike Cthulhu to make the Beast Hunters Prime meat cleaver Sword now then ?
RAR
Gestalt
News Credits: 11

Postby Deadput » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
77Prime84 wrote:
In my opinion, the best iteration of TF ever was TF: Prime. This was the series I had been waiting for. It struck the perfect balance among all of the elements that make Transformers work: well-paced, cohesive stories; character development, a strong voice cast, amazing visuals and the proper mix of action, adventure and emotional pull. The humans were placed well, too. Story arcs made sense and wrapped up pretty neatly with only a few bumps. No surpise, then, that it was nominated and won several Emmys.

Just imagine the quality of TF: Prime attached to a Bay-sized budget. Think about what that might produce.

Transformers Prime and good quality don't belong in the same sentence especially since behind the scenes was a giant disaster worse then any Bay film and it screwed up all of Hasbro's grand plans for the aligned continuity because the show developers refused to do what Hasbro asked of them.

The story was only relic hunts with relics that were mostly never used or spoken of again besides the season premiers and finales, there was no character development since either people forget all their progress (Arcee) or their killed off because the writers couldn't do squat with them (Breakdown, Dreadwing) and the show was hardly emotional especially since it hardly left the status quo and the stakes were never high even with Unicron involved.

The last good Transformers show was Animated actually it was the only decent Transformers show besides Beast Wars and Beast Machines everything else is entertaining but actually bad quality.

When will we get something better?

Never we won't because even once Bay leaves Hasbro is going to get someone else to do the exact same thing because that's how life and business work and there will never be a director who has the same obsessed romanticized view that we have of the franchise.

All of the stuff we want from a Transformers movie isn't going to happen in our lifetimes assuming of course that the franchise isn't kicked to the curb like GI Joe after a couple years since this franchise is going down hill slowly.

Transformers will never be the powerhouse franchise like Star Wars then again the last few movies have also been entertaining but actually pretty ba.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby Deadput » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
Seibertron wrote:

Hasbro gets it, or else we wouldn't have Transformers Prime. The movies and their stories, are out of their hands if I understand everything correctly. I'm assuming that it's similar to Marvel with FOX. Hasbro handed over most of their rights for control of the Transformers films (if I'm wording this incorrectly, someone please advise immediately) over to Paramount and Michael Bay waaaay back in 2001/2002 when these deals were originally made.

But I assure you, Hasbro gets it! Promise!!!

They obviously don't "get it" and continue to make the same mistakes for years now and their clearly not changing their minds.

Their a high up there business that don't care about anything else besides getting the money from our wallets like every other company in the world so the will try but not put any real effort to make quality products because they never have so far in the past 30 or so years like heck the original Transformers were recycled from another toyline.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Skill: 5

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Deadput wrote:The last good Transformers show was Animated actually it was the only decent Transformers show besides Beast Wars and Beast Machines everything else is entertaining but actually bad quality.

I've never cared for any TF TV show. None have appealed to me. Sure I sometimes watched the G1 cartoon cos it was there but to me it paled in comparison not just to the Marvel UK comics but also to almost every other action cartoon of the 80s. It's idiotic plots and constant production errors annoyed the hell out of me and it amazes me whenever G1 cartoon fans slag off the movies plots when the cartoon was NEVER any better. Even the cartoon's rather enjoyable cinematic outing was simply a blatant Star Wars rip off and I wasn't that fond of Star Wars to start off with (in fact I detest the vast majority of the supposedly best SW film, the Empire Strikes Back. Good start, good end, BORING AS HELL MIDDLE! F*** YOU, YODA, YOU TEDIOUS GOBLIN MUPPET THING) made purely to sell a whole range of new toys while trying to convince you the ones you'd been collecting the past year or two were obsolete.

Animated is by far my least fave not just for the (in my opinion) awful aesthetics and character designs but some of the most terrible characters in all of TF fiction particularly in the first season. It was the show that made me think ehhh, Armada & it's follow ups probably weren't that bad (they were but I disliked Animated even more). Armada sure had a good video game in the form of that PS2 title released by Atari though. First proper good TF game in my opinion.

I still find Beast Wars and Beast Machines too much of an eyesore to be able to even try get into those. I did watch the first season of Beast Wars but again I just couldn't get into it whether the writing, voice acting or the lousy CGI (low budget 90's CGI never did it for me whether in full CGI shows like Beast Wars and Reboot or even the godawful video game trend of pre-rendered 3D sprites and stuff. Properly defined pixel art almost always looked better).

Yes I'd like a bit more depth to the movie characters and it pisses me off that IDW stopped doing comics that helped with it a couple movies back. It's about the only damn use I had for IDW Transformers and I bought all of them back then. But still the movies provide the joy and excitement to me of seeing beautifully complex realistically designed transforming robots convincingly brought into an actual real-world live action environment with lots of action, gorgeous visuals and entertainment which has had me buy all four previous films on Blu Ray with the fifth a definite purchase too and kept me buying Transformers action figures along the way largely from the movies. I've bought some from various other G1-styled TF toylines such as Classics, Generations or Titans Return but sold most of them on now cos they just don't appeal to me in their designs the way the movie designs do both in robot or alt-modes mostly keeping just the ones that appeal to me on a deeper level than just 'cool toy' or have a sentimental reason for being still in my collection.

Sorry for going on. I'll stop there, even after deleting much more stuff I had typed. Just a bit fed up of always being made to feel like a worthless idiot cos I love something that gets bad reviews when I often find highly praised stuff not to my tastes (seriously though how many people have a large collection of winners of the best picture oscar amongst their very most fave movies ever?). I love what I love. Can't help it. When there's so much that just doesn't do it for me at all (am really not into MCU, game of thrones, walking dead, harry potter, jurassic park, lord of the rings etc) in this world I do find myself getting very passionate about the stuff I do enjoy.

Again sorry for this. I guess i just needed to type this stuff out of my head I guess. Maybe I should take another break. I don't want to offend or annoy anyone on this forum. I'll leave this topic though alone at least for now. Sorry
Last edited by Carnivius_Prime on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby dragons » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:45 pm

I went as fan of movies and as fan of transformers could be worse we get two movies like gijoe end of movies and we all we have to talk about comics, toys games tv shows and convention news before movies came along and transformers was not as popular back then then they are now
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby WreckerJack » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
SillyMcGilly wrote:This is the manliest manly Transformers video EVER. It's WICKED.

The ending is great too, I liked watching them slice the watermelon. Also the Prime costume they had was pretty neat.
WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby william-james88 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Hm ... should I have put my review in a different topic? I didn't mean it to turn into my review, but it seems like it started to happen that way.
Well, we do have the review thread, which include spoilers, even though your posts didn't:
spoiler-thread-for-transformers-the-last-knight-review-with-spoilers-added-6-20--t109402.php

And personally, I feel bad for you not being able to enjoy 3D, this TF film in particular looked amazing in that format.

Yeah Seibs wrote the review in the right place, this is where we discuss the film, when we dont dive into spoilers.

As for the 3D, once again we are in great agreement, Rodimus! On really cool thing about this film was how the 3D never melted away into the background. It never let up, I was very impressed with that. But of course, all my beefs are with the film, not the 3D, and I would rather have a great 2D movie than a 3D film which I wish I didnt pay for.

Deadput wrote:
Seibertron wrote:

Hasbro gets it, or else we wouldn't have Transformers Prime. The movies and their stories, are out of their hands if I understand everything correctly. I'm assuming that it's similar to Marvel with FOX. Hasbro handed over most of their rights for control of the Transformers films (if I'm wording this incorrectly, someone please advise immediately) over to Paramount and Michael Bay waaaay back in 2001/2002 when these deals were originally made.

But I assure you, Hasbro gets it! Promise!!!

They obviously don't "get it" and continue to make the same mistakes for years now and their clearly not changing their minds.

We are talking about different things here. Saying Hasbro doesnt get it because of how crappy some films are is like saying Marvel doesnt get it because look at how crappy X-Men Origins Wolverine was. We are talking about 2 different creative forces. Hasbro does not have the movie rights to Transformers. I am 100% certain that John Warden, the head Transformers designer at Hasbro, would much rather have a more G1 like film with an emphasis on the robots. But he isnt behind the wheel, Paramount is, and Michael Bay.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Transformers: The Last Knight Score by Steve Jablonsky Now on iTunes and Spotify

Postby Va'al » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
From regular news finder Scottimus Prime, we have news for all you Steve Jablonsky fans out there: the score for Transformers: The Last Knight can currently be found on iTunes and streaming service Spotify! Check out the tracklist below, and click through to listen to the score if so inclined.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Dagon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Motto: "Ain't nobody got time fo dat....."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
I'm not saying anything here, but I'm just saying that Seibertrons' completely objective review was that there were a number of good things, and the bad thing about the movie was that he saw it in 3D.

Deadput wrote:
77Prime84 wrote:
In my opinion, the best iteration of TF ever was TF: Prime.

The story was only relic hunts with relics that were mostly never used or spoken of again besides the season premiers and finales, there was no character development since either people forget all their progress (Arcee) or their killed off because the writers couldn't do squat with them (Breakdown, Dreadwing) and the show was hardly emotional especially since it hardly left the status quo and the stakes were never high even with Unicron involved.

The situation you're describing is nothing at all like the Cube or the Matrix or the Space Bridge from the first, second or third movies, or any of the various characters who show up on screen and then disappear without any development at all like Brawl or Blackout or Jolt or Grindor or Ravage or Demolisher or the other Constructicons or Barracade prior to TLK or the Dinobots in AOE or the construction vehicle guy in the junkyard or Megatrons' gang or Infernocus in TLK.
Last edited by Dagon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 2
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
dragons wrote:I went as fan of movies and as fan of transformers could be worse we get two movies like gijoe end of movies and we all we have to talk about comics, toys games tv shows and convention news before movies came along and transformers was not as popular back then then they are now

We are on the same wavelength here. Went in as a Transformers fan, came out as one. Enjoyed it for what it is, acknowledges that it is no where near perfect, but still enjoyed it as a fan anyway. Went and saw it again tonight. Will post some additional thoughts over in the TLK thread.

And also, are we really saying that since Seibertron got to go to the red carpet release and got to hang out with everyone there, that they are making him or he is choosing to suck up to them by writing it was good? Are we really that sour? Seibertron's post basically said the same thing that several other members said, with good and bad mixed in and his take on it. Is it really hard to believe those are actual thoughts?
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Firepower: 8

Postby Dagon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:04 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
dragons wrote:I went as fan of movies and as fan of transformers could be worse we get two movies like gijoe end of movies and we all we have to talk about comics, toys games tv shows and convention news before movies came along and transformers was not as popular back then then they are now

We are on the same wavelength here. Went in as a Transformers fan, came out as one. Enjoyed it for what it is, acknowledges that it is no where near perfect, but still enjoyed it as a fan anyway. Went and saw it again tonight. Will post some additional thoughts over in the TLK thread.

And also, are we really saying that since Seibertron got to go to the red carpet release and got to hang out with everyone there, that they are making him or he is choosing to suck up to them by writing it was good? Are we really that sour? Seibertron's post basically said the same thing that several other members said, with good and bad mixed in and his take on it. Is it really hard to believe those are actual thoughts?

For the record, in case and before this turns into a real thing, that's not what I was saying, or was even suggesting. My comment was that the criticism of the movie was not a thing of the movie, but of the format it was seen in. If I'm lactose intolerant and I go to a pizza place and can't eat the pizza, and then use that as my criticism of the establishment, I'm not actually critiquing the food, but rather its format. Saying the 3D bothers you doesn't actually make any statement on the movie, but on the 3D itself. That's all I was saying.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Dagon wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

For the record, in case and before this turns into a real thing, that's not what I was saying, or was even suggesting. My comment was that the criticism of the movie was not a thing of the movie, but of the format it was seen in. If I'm lactose intolerant and I go to a pizza place and can't eat the pizza, and then use that as my criticism of the establishment, I'm not actually critiquing the food, but rather its format. Saying the 3D bothers you doesn't actually make any statement on the movie, but on the 3D itself. That's all I was saying.

OK. Well we already had people start saying it, so I wanted to make that clear. It also seemed liked you were glossing over his whole paragraph about the bad things, that was followed by a paragraph about not liking 3D. Just so you see how I saw this and how I don't want this to be a thing nor do I believe you were making it a thing
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Firepower: 8

Postby Dagon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Dagon wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

OK. Well we already had people start saying it, so I wanted to make that clear. It also seemed liked you were glossing over his whole paragraph about the bad things, that was followed by a paragraph about not liking 3D. Just so you see how I saw this and how I don't want this to be a thing nor do I believe you were making it a thing

I also wasn't the first person to say anything related to it, nor did I make any accusations. If we're going to do this "I'm not saying you said, but it seems like you said but I know you didn't" we might as well be accurate with it.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay

Postby Seibertron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Seibertron wrote:

Hasbro gets it (or at least the Transformers brand team definitely does), or else we wouldn't have Transformers Prime, Transformers Animated, or other examples (though I might argue that some of the greatest Transformers stories of all time are stories where they had outside help such as the G1 cartoons and comics and Beast Wars, though not all of it, which bears some resemblance to how things were initially setup with Paramount). The movies and their stories are out of their hands if I understand everything correctly. I'm assuming that it's similar to Marvel with FOX. Hasbro handed over most of their rights for control of the Transformers films (if I'm wording this incorrectly, someone please advise immediately) over to Paramount and Michael Bay waaaay back in 2001/2002 when these deals were originally made.

But I assure you, Hasbro (or at least the brand team) gets it! Promise!!!

I updated this post to clarify a few of my earlier thoughts which I wrote in haste. To summarize the changes, Hasbro gets it or at least the Transformers brand team definitely gets it. Promise!
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Rodimus Prime » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
I can't help but wonder if the writers of the movies had followed in the vein of Beast Wars or Prime and consistently used only 4 or 5 characters from each side in addition to the humans would the movies have had at least a less cluttered and better flowing story? It kinda worked with the 1st film as the TF cast was kept small, but then starting with RoTF they just threw random additional characters in.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Seibertron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:16 pm

So after seeing a press screening by myself on Monday and attending the US Premiere here in Chicago with my wife (and found out later that night at the after party that we sat in the same row with the Transformers brand team), my wife and I took our daughters (8 years old and 2.5), my daughter's buddy next door (who's 9), my buddy Ben/Shadowbeast from our forums, and my wife's cousin and her husband and their 5 year old son to go to a 2D showing at Muvico in Rosemont (for those of you familiar with my area, it's the movie theater near where TFcon Chicago was located).

2D is definitely the way to go for me. I was able to be immersed in the movie at last, which was enjoyable. The audio, which had been ear blowing at the first 2 showings I attended, was at a much more tolerable level ... and surprise! Thanks to that I could finally understand what each and every Transformer said very clearly, including the Knights at the beginning (which I swore one of the podcast guys said during our recording the other night that I couldn't understand them because they were speaking Celtic, which I didn't catch at all tonight because I could actually hear them, and could understand all of the "deep" talking Transformers, including Canopy. It was wonderful, plus I caught various things that the humans said as well that I had missed because of the blaring audio at the first two showings.

For any of you who have issues with focusing on the 3D initially or just find it frustrating to watch, I did some reading just now about 3D viewing with astigmatism. I have a very slight astigmatism which causes me to have 25/20 vision or something along those lines (things further away are visible but need to be sharpened, much like you would an image on a computer in Photoshop). After reading these articles for the past 30 minutes, maybe it's time for me to make a trip to an optometrist regarding my poor 3D viewing experiences.

https://www.google.com/#q=eye+%22astigm ... +3d+movies

With that aside, I still enjoyed the movie. And I enjoyed it for what it was, the good and the bad. It's not a perfect movie, nor did I ever expect it to be (especially as a die-hard Transformers fan). But it is definitely an enjoyable movie. I liked The Last Knight in the same vein that I liked the first movie, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon, and Age of Extinction. They all had their flaws, but there were things that I enjoyed watching in all of them as well.

One thing I caught during tonight's viewing (though I still didn't catch Scorn or Strafe if they're actually there in the Junkyard), was how you have to really pay attention to the fast moving dialogue during key scenes. Michael Bay's films have a habit of tossing in a very important line of dialogue about something that is happening, needs to happen, or will happen and if you miss that line, you won't know what's going on next. This also happens with visual cues where someone might grab something or do something quickly that you might miss while your eyes are focused elsewhere on the screen. Some of you will mock this line, but if you really want to follow the storyline, I think you really have to pay extreme attention to every line of dialogue and try to catch as much as you can. One could argue that you shouldn't have to work that hard to catch those things, but another might argue that it's his "art form" of sorts (or his style). I'm torn about how I feel about that because it's obvious to me that the film style is deliberate (but unfortunately is lost even on myself at times). It always intrigues me when I rewatch the previous Transformers films and I catch things that I've never caught before even though I've seen each of these movies dozens and dozens of times (with the exception of AOE which is probably only around a half dozen times or so). I can't remember what was said tonight that I caught, but I think it was something during the submarine "Transformer" jumping its moorings scene.

If any of you have doubts about whether or not my opinions have been compromised with this whole amazing experience with the Transformers films over the course of the past 10 years (especially with these incredible Last Knight experiences), I have gained an entire new appreciation for the art of Hollywood film making during the past year. The endless hours and tedious work and attention to detail that goes on behind the scenes to make a movie like Transformers The Last Knight is mind blowing.

One of the things that I constantly think about pertaining to this film, that didn't initially impress me at the time, was seeing a group of 4 or 5 people, "seamstresses" if you will, working on sewing parts of the "barbarian" warrior costumes. They told us that they were working on costumes for 300 to 400 warriors (if I recall correctly). At the time, it was all lost on me because I didn't care about seeing costumes being made from the era of 400 AD, especially when I was there to see them working on a Transformers movie. I had no frame of reference at the time. No story line to understand the relevance, nor had any movie trailers been released when I was seeing this. However, in retrospect, it might have been one of the coolest things I had seen, along with the massive sets for the underwater ship scene, Merlin's tomb and (if I'm remembering this correctly) Cybertron (Quintessa's throne room?). I was amazed that they would spend the amount of time and money to make that many costumes for that many actors instead of just CGI'ing them, and I was amazed that they built out those sets for that ship underwater including several of the knights and those tendrils hanging from the ceiling. I actually got to see a massive Cybertron set that was built out for the most part. Basically everything you see the actors interacting with during those scenes, walking on, etc, was all "real".

Regardless of whether or not I agree with Michael Bay's vision, I absolutely respect the man's talents and skills. I have seen him work on 3 of these films now, TLK being the most and closest I've seen him working after seeing him directing for part of a day last year and seeing him show us some stuff in his office in Santa Monica. I doubt many directors work harder than Michael Bay. Again, this is regardless of how you feel about his final products. This is just talking about that the man is extremely passionate about his work as a director and his vision. He works his ass off and he is an amazing professional at one he does.

To bring this back down to every day Transformers stuff in our world, for those of you who are familiar with Transformers UK writer Simon Furman, my thoughts about Furman's writings is similar to what I think about Michael Bay's directing. However, I feel like Furman has done some of his best work when he is confined and has to figure out how to work within the box. Some of less beloved work of Furman (Simon, if you happen to be reading this ... you are absolutely awesome, I love most of your comics, I've enjoyed drinking some beers with you and other fond memories, so no offense!) is when Simon has been left to his own devices with the Transformers stories. I think Michael Bay needs to have some higher ups who can confine and rein him in a bit. But at the same time, especially in his 50s, I doubt Michael Bay would want to be directed so we'll probably never see that happen.

So I'm kind of rambling here, which I have done on my own forums for quite some time. I love good debates about movies and I appreciate my buddy philswitch_engage calling me out so I can defend myself. Here's to that next beer my friend!
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Rodimus Prime wrote:I can't help but wonder if the writers of the movies had followed in the vein of Beast Wars or Prime and consistently used only 4 or 5 characters from each side in addition to the humans would the movies have had at least a less cluttered and better flowing story? It kinda worked with the 1st film as the TF cast was kept small, but then starting with RoTF they just threw random additional characters in.

I think it would have been great if the movies had had a core group from the 1st film. However, the main Autobots evolved. It was really jarring to me with Age of Extinction, which I'm assuming is part of the reason why AOE is my least favorite of the 5. It was too much new at one time. It was nice to see the AOE Autobots return, sans a couple of Dinobots, to TLK, and that everyone survived.

Man, I keep typing things I want to say in response, but keep contradicting myself, so I keep deleting lines.

I want the additional characters, but sometimes characters can just stay in the background. No need for them to get a lot of screen time. However, if someone like "Hot Rod" is going to get a decent amount of screen time, then they should be fleshed out a bit as a character. I really don't get the point of Hot Rod other than as a plot device to literally bring Vivian into Cade's story, add a little bit of humor to the screen (some of which was funny, some not) and to be a plot device with his slowing time down power (which I could've completely done with out).

However, I'm going to contradict myself a little bit here that with Cade saying to Mini-Grimlock (?) that he's coming into his powers, I can't help but like the idea if they start introducing special powers for some of the Transformers. I really liked that with the original G1 cast with characters like Hound, Mirage, Skywarp, Soundwave, etc. Maybe with the acknowledgement of "magic" and advanced alien capabilities, maybe Transformers with special abilities going forward won't be such an odd thing. That could be a very awesome thing for the film franchise.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office

Postby Va'al » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:58 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Initial reports for the Transformers: The Last Knight box office numbers are starting to roll in, looking at China, but also the likes of Australia, Korea, Russia, Indoesia and a number of European scenes (bar the UK). Check out more information here and below!

Rolling out in 41 overseas markets this weekend, Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight has clocked an estimated $85M through Friday, according to the studio. That includes $47.9M (RMB 330.76M) from China which, in that market, is 69% above Transformers: Age Of Extinction’s June 27, 2014 bow in local currency. Par puts the opening day for Last Knight at No. 3 for an import ever in the Middle Kingdom (including Thursday’s midnight shows). The debut sets the film on track for a $100M+ weekend launch there.

Elsewhere, the $37.1M made up in other markets appears to be a mix of some Thursday openings (Korea) and those markets that bowed today, although it was not clear on how they break down in all cases.

The 5th installment in the $3.8B worldwide grossing franchise, and Michael Bay’s last turn at the helm, hit Korea with $2M in previews on Wednesday, followed by $1.4M from 1,711 screens on Thursday and $1.9M today. That lifts the cume there to $5.3M through Friday. Korea on the last Transformers was ultimately the No.3 market.

In 2014, Transformers 4’s first China day came in around $30M. That film was made under a co-operation agreement and shot locally. Transformers 5 has a local marketing partner in Wanda (owner of the most screens in the Middle Kingdom) with Weying Technology and Huahua also investing. Bay and the team traveled last week to a premiere in Guangzhou. Chinese singer Jason Zhang, who performed a promotional song for the film, was also in attendance.

All markets reporting (which does not include the UK) came in at No. 1. Rounding out the Top 10 bows after China and Korea through Friday are Russia at $2.8M on 2,460 screens, followed by Indonesia with $1.1M from 255 dates for the biggest Paramount launch day ever (the cume is $2.3M so far); Malaysia ($845K at 145 dates); Australia (2-day total $1.5M); Germany ($978K including previews on 828 screens); the Philippines with $919K on 503; Thailand at $715K including previews; and Hong Kong at $504K after Day 1 at No. 1.

The Last Knight is bypassing such markets as France and Spain this week, as well as waiting for Latin America to rumble with Bumblebee later on the calendar.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Nexus Knight » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 am

Motto: ""I fight for the honor of those whom the Decepticons crush under their pathetic heel.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
This was the case for AoE, right? I don't have the proof to back it up, but I mildly remember a family member telling me that AoE did better internationally than in the US.

Also, I have to wait for my hometown theater to get the movie in. As a deep fan of the franchise (the movies being my gateway into the awesomeness that is Transformers) is TLK worth the five dollar ticket? I'll probably go regardless, but I am curious to know.
Favorite quotes from The Transformers: The Movie-

"Ride in style!" Hot Rod (ever humble)

"Such heroic nonsense" Megatron

"I have better things to do tonight than die" Springer

"Till the day that all are one" Optimus Prime

"I belong to no one!" Megatron

"This is bad comedy" Galvatron (seeing Starscream's last bid for control)

"Ba wee gra na weep nini bong" Universal Greeting

"Till all are one" Rodimus Prime
Nexus Knight
Combiner
Alt Mode: Arsonist SnowCat and Stargazer
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Ryuki » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:15 am

Nexus Knight wrote:This was the case for AoE, right? I don't have the proof to back it up, but I mildly remember a family member telling me that AoE did better internationally than in the US.

Also, I have to wait for my hometown theater to get the movie in. As a deep fan of the franchise (the movies being my gateway into the awesomeness that is Transformers) is TLK worth the five dollar ticket? I'll probably go regardless, but I am curious to know.

Yep, it performed reaaaally well in China. In which it makes AOE broke box office record in China at that time. (until Fast&Furious 7 take that spot)

I watched TLK with my brothers 2 days ago and while I would say that it have some flaws (too many unnecessary humans scenes, forced romance) it worth all the money for the amazing visuals and actions. also, Anthony Hopkins and Cogman was really entertaining. ;)^
Ryuki
Mini-Con

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:19 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Hot Rod was also with Bee in the WWII scene. If I remember right, when Hot Rod was 1st mentioned like 2 years ago they said he would act as Bee's big brother. But I guess they didn't elaborate on that. I was worried they would totally waste him as a character but after Cogman and Burton he's my 3rd favorite. He just needs more screen time.

Also, is it just me or did Optimus get the most cringeworthy lines in the entire movie?
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Nexus Knight » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 am

Motto: ""I fight for the honor of those whom the Decepticons crush under their pathetic heel.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Ryuki wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:This was the case for AoE, right? I don't have the proof to back it up, but I mildly remember a family member telling me that AoE did better internationally than in the US.

Yep, it performed reaaaally well in China. In which it makes AOE broke box office record in China at that time. (until Fast&Furious 7 take that spot)

I watched TLK with my brothers 2 days ago and while I would say that it have some flaws (too many unnecessary humans scenes, forced romance) it worth all the money for the amazing visuals and actions. also, Anthony Hopkins and Cogman was really entertaining. ;)^

Thank you! I'll be going with my brother as soon as we get in theaters... Which will be the next two or three weeks...
Favorite quotes from The Transformers: The Movie-

"Ride in style!" Hot Rod (ever humble)

"Such heroic nonsense" Megatron

"I have better things to do tonight than die" Springer

"Till the day that all are one" Optimus Prime

"I belong to no one!" Megatron

"This is bad comedy" Galvatron (seeing Starscream's last bid for control)

"Ba wee gra na weep nini bong" Universal Greeting

"Till all are one" Rodimus Prime
Nexus Knight
Combiner
Alt Mode: Arsonist SnowCat and Stargazer
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Seibertron » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:58 am

$5 a ticket? We only get that at some older theaters around the northwest suburbs of Chicago on Tuesdays, and not at the nice theaters with the stadium style seating. We paid $12 each for adult tickets last night (5 adults total in our group) and $9 each for 3 kids ages 5 and up and my 2 year old daughter got in free.

Definitely worth $5 a ticket or more! $5 is a steal to see a brand new blockbuster movie.
Seibertron
Site Owner

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NIGHTPROWLER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Beast Wars Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
NIGHTPROWLER Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DIRGE Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager Class Conehead Hasbro 2023 New"
DIRGE Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POINTBLANK + PEACEMAKER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Class 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
POINTBLANK + PEACE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WINDBLADE Transformers Legacy United Deluxe Class Cyberverse Hasbro 2024 New"
WINDBLADE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K23 PREDACON SCORPONOK Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K23 PREDACON S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS Transformers Legacy Deluxe G1 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
SKIDS Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARMADA STARSCREAM Transformers Legacy Voyager Class Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
ARMADA STARSCREAM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CYCLONUS + NIGHTSTICK Transformers Legacy Generations Selects Voyager 2022 New"
CYCLONUS + NIGHTST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K26 TRACKS Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K26 TRACKS Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K22 DRACODON Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
NEW!
WFC-K22 DRACODON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEVCON Transformers Legacy Evolution TL-44 Deluxe Takara Tomy 2023 New"
NEW!
DEVCON Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Armada POWERINX HOT SHOT + JOLT Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe 2023 New"
NEW!
Armada POWERINX HO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRANKCASE Transformers Legacy Deluxe Class Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
CRANKCASE Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Sovereign and Alpha Trion" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Silverbolt Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON