This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Chuck's Reviews Transformers Platinum Edition Blitzwing and Astrotrain

Post your reviews of Transformers toys in this topic. Videos can be posted in a topic as well as text reviews and images.
Please keep each topic dedicated to one specific toy (i.e. DOTM Deluxe Class Optimus Prime") that has actually been released.

Chuck's Reviews Transformers Platinum Edition Blitzwing and Astrotrain

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Platinum Editions have been around for a few years with varying degrees of desirability. This set, featuring dramatic repaints of Blitzwing and Astrotrain, probably falls somewhere in the middle. While I and many others would've preferred paint schemes closer to the original animation models, I can appreciate what they were going for with tributes to the Duo-Cons and Multi-Force. Fans of unique paint schemes will be all over this but I can only recommend it for $50 or less.

chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Transformers Platinum Edition Blitzwing and Astrotrain Video Review

Postby Autobot032 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Fellow Seibertronian, chuckdawg1999, has provided us the first video review of the upcoming Platinum Edition Blitzwing and Astrotrain. This set has been a hot topic amongst fans seeing as it's a reissue no one was expecting, and a couple of molds that haven't seen much love as of late, as well as a color scheme that is quite striking and bizzare.

Here's what Chuck had to say:

chuckdawg1999 wrote:Platinum Editions have been around for a few years with varying degrees of desirability. This set, featuring dramatic repaints of Blitzwing and Astrotrain, probably falls somewhere in the middle. While I and many others would've preferred paint schemes closer to the original animation models, I can appreciate what they were going for with tributes to the Duo-Cons and Multi-Force. Fans of unique paint schemes will be all over this but I can only recommend it for $50 or less.

To see the molds as they once were, you can see the galleries of Astrotrain and Blitzwing in their G1 skins, then decide which version is right for you.

Keep your optics tuned to Seibertron.com for the latest in news and updates, plus the best galleries around!
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: Chuck's Reviews Transformers Platinum Edition Blitzwing and Astrotrain

Postby Shockwave7 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:51 am

Seeing these makes me remember just how clunky they really were. Sure in 1986 they were cutting edge, but 2014 Blitzwing blows away the G1 mold. I had G1 Blitzwing, and I remember well how little articulation it had. It would fall over in robot mode all the time because the 'feet' were just the thin, metal tail fins of the jet, held in place only with a tiny bump on the fins that would click into a corresponding hole at the end of the leg.

And they want like $80 bucks for these? No thanks. As fond as I am of G1, I'll go with the modern versions. They're not perfect, but they're a darn sight better than G1 after 30 years of advancement in toy making.
Shockwave7
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby gothsaurus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 am

I wish they had a little more paint apps on Astrotrain to fix the weird orange oddities on the train mode. Maybe ReproLabel will help us out there.

Blitzwing does look good like this. Wish they went ahead and renamed these two and gave them new character bios and Autobot sticker for the "new MachTackle".

Very weird. Will try to pick them up if I can find them.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:54 pm

gothsaurus wrote:I wish they had a little more paint apps on Astrotrain to fix the weird orange oddities on the train mode. Maybe ReproLabel will help us out there.

Blitzwing does look good like this. Wish they went ahead and renamed these two and gave them new character bios and Autobot sticker for the "new MachTackle".

Very weird. Will try to pick them up if I can find them.

The orange in train mode is for the Tackle part of the MachTackle homage. it's not that bad in hand. The blue really pops since it's mostly on the die-cast parts
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper

Postby gothsaurus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 am

Hey Chuckdawg... I'm talking about the weird triangle of orange on the side... and the tiny strip of orange on the front of the train.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:12 am

gothsaurus wrote:Hey Chuckdawg... I'm talking about the weird triangle of orange on the side... and the tiny strip of orange on the front of the train.

I know. It's weird, I should post a pic but some of that orange with the blue matches the design of Tackle in vehicle mode. Gotta hand it to them they tried, it didn't work that well, but they tried.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper

Postby gothsaurus » Fri May 01, 2015 8:15 am

If they stuck with a white fin, you could have left it sticking out in the front like MachTackle. Oh, and a blue head would help.

Makes me want to take my own crack painting one of these. Maybe if it goes on clearance, or if someone REALLY wants Blitzwing but wants to toss out Astrotrain.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:55 pm

gothsaurus wrote:If they stuck with a white fin, you could have left it sticking out in the front like MachTackle. Oh, and a blue head would help.

Makes me want to take my own crack painting one of these. Maybe if it goes on clearance, or if someone REALLY wants Blitzwing but wants to toss out Astrotrain.

If they could've swung it that the shuttle was white and blue, while the train was orange and blue, that would've been sick.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper

Postby gothsaurus » Fri May 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Agreed. ALSO it just dawned on me... they could have done Blitzwing like another two Landcross team members... like the plane and military vehicle. (green tank, white and red plane). Trying to envision that... Maybe I'll buy an extra Overcharge and paint it. HAHAHAHAHAH.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:24 am

gothsaurus wrote:Agreed. ALSO it just dawned on me... they could have done Blitzwing like another two Landcross team members... like the plane and military vehicle. (green tank, white and red plane). Trying to envision that... Maybe I'll buy an extra Overcharge and paint it. HAHAHAHAHAH.

How much you wanna bet one of the Bot Con attendee sets will feature Generations Blitzwing done in these colors?
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper

Postby gothsaurus » Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 am

Ha. Well, It would be less fun having a mix of sizes and G1/classic style toys together. BUT...

I had to take a sec last week to try these colors out on the G1 toy.

digibash.jpg
digibash.jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 13122 times
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Return to Transformers Toy Reviews

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLIXX Transformers BotBots Series 2 Techie Team camera Hasbro 2019"
CLIXX Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRISTOCRAT Transformers BotBots Series 3 Swag Stylers watch 2019 Hasbro"
WRISTOCRAT Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Series 4 CHOPPER MODE DROPKICK Transformers Tiny Turbo Changers Movie Edition"
Series 4 CHOPPER M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LIEUTENANT LO MEIN Transformers BotBots Series 5 Hibotchi Heats sushi 2020"
LIEUTENANT LO MEIN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NAMPY Transformers BotBots Series 3 Goo Goo Groopies 2019 Hasbro Baby Crib"
NAMPY Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PIRANACON Transformers Kre-o Micro-Changers Combiner Hasbro 2013 New"
PIRANACON Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATSBY Transformers BotBots Series 1 Jock Squad 2018 Hasbro Baseball Bat"
BATSBY Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUAVÉ VERDE Transformers BotBots Series 4 Los Deliciosos Hasbro 2020 suave salsa"
SUAVÉ VERDE Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CAM THE MAN Transformers BotBots Series 4 Wilderness Troop Hasbro 2020"
CAM THE MAN Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MS TAKE Transformers BotBots Series 1 Backpack Bunch tape 2018 Mistake Miss"
MS TAKE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FIZZKICK Transformers BotBots Series 4 Movie Moguls Hasbro 2020"
FIZZKICK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SLIPSTREAM Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 4 Hasbro 2020 New"
SLIPSTREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURRAY MURRAY Transformers BotBots Series 4 Movie Moguls Hasbro 2020 3D glasses"
BLURRAY MURRAY Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OL TIC TOC Transformers BotBots Series 2 Lost Bots 2019 wristwatch watch Hasbro"
OL TIC TOC Transfo ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime Action Figure (Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON