This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Seibertron.com Interviews Corin Howell

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Seibertron.com Interviews Corin Howell

Postby Va'al » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:09 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Hello again, fans of Transformers from Seibertron and beyond! We continue our journey in the world behind the scenes of everyone's (we assume) favourite transforming robots by having a good chat with one of the latest entries at IDW - the new artist on the ongoing Windblade series, whose work we have started to see in Windblade #3 (out on 10th June, sneak peek here): Corin Howell! Check it out below, as we look at her development as a fan and an artist.

Va'al - Corin, it is an extreme pleasure to have you talk to us here at Seibertron.com - it's always great news to hear we have some fresh talent brought into the franchise! And we do hope we'll make you feel welcomed, of course. But maybe we should get to know you a little more first, too: How did it all begin for you? When did Transformers enter your life?

Corin - It's incredibly awesome to talk with you guys! Seibertron.com was one of the first sites I visited when I was starting out in my wee early stages of TF Fandom, so it's really exciting!

It really started when I was kid in the 90s, I grew up around a lot of boy cousins when I was young so I was exposed to Transformers early on (along side TMNT, ThunderCats, G. I. Joe, Batman, comics in general, etc). I think I really got into it when Beast Wars came out and I was a huge fan of Cheetor and Primal. By the time TF Armada came around, I had started drawing all these robots.

Va'al - We're delighted to hear that! More Seibertronians, even if lurkers, making into the professional lands of Transformers is always a big boost. Were you into any of the toys as well, either before the arrival of Beast Wars, of after that stage? Or was it mostly the fiction, on screen and on the page?

Corin - It was actually all of the above! I didn’t get into the toys till I was a little older, so after Beast Wars ( high school methinks, those Master Pieces caught my eye), but before that it was the fiction, the comics, TV shows -- visual media was the primary thing that fueled the need to draw giant transforming robots.

Va'al - What was it about the visuals that appealed to you, do you think? I mean, you've mentioned Beast Wars but also previous iterations of the franchise, and the aesthetics can be really quite different at times - what drew (hah!) you in?

Corin - I’m a sucker for details. I like drawing landscapes: interiors, exteriors, cars, motorcycles, etc. What fascinated me as I got older (because as a kid it was just “Giant talking robots!”) is the amount of details that go into each character -- like how did they transform, how it fit their personality, which part goes WHERE -- it was all really interesting to me. There was one thing I did like adding in, and that was making them more expressive -- after Beast Wars, I dont remember a series that included a lot of expressiveness in their facial features. At least until TF Animated came around.

Va'al - There was also a blight of 'constipated grimace' expression with the toys.. especially during Beast Wars! So was it mainly the screen media that you were interested in, or were the comics on your radar too?

Corin - It was mainly the screen media that got me interested first. However, when Armada came around I started reading the comics, especially when Alex Milne's work started popping up. Armada comic series was great, never really read Energon, and I was a huge sucker for the “Stormbringer “ series. But no Transformers series really drove me to really start pushing my Transformers drawings more then when Milne did “Megatron Origin”.

Megatron being one my favorite characters ( you can thank David Kaye and his Beast Wars Megatron for that ), the story was amazing (thank you Eric Holmes) but the art was what really caught my eye. The attention to detail, the fact that they look like they can TRANSFORM on the page was incredibly awesome and looking at my work, I knew I needed to get better to reach that caliber of work. Of course my style really took its shape when I started college, but I still look at Milne’s work whenever I draw Transformers.

Va'al - Milne has had a significant impact on fan artists, that is indisputable. What other influences, Transformers-related or not, would you say you have in your style of drawing in general? Anyone else creep in from the sidelines?

Corin - There’s actually a few that have had a major impact on the development of my style. One of the top being Glen Keane -- I grew up with all of the movies he worked on with Disney, and I've always admired his ability to really pull the characters personality out in their expressions. So when I finally acquired “The Art of Tangled”, I was able to study the way he draws expressions more and put them in my work.

Another artist is Sean Murphy - his inks and the way he draws vehicles and cities have always been something I've admired. I had the wonderful opportunity to be one of his students last year when he hosted an apprenticeship in Portland, ME. Getting that chance to finally understand how to draw and ink vehicles and landscapes using his techniques really helped me on a new approach in developing my style.

Other artists include Becky Cloonan (By Chance or Providence, Demo) , Klaus Janson (Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight), Juanjo Guarnido (Blacksad), and the list just goes on and on. But these artist really influenced me on my work.

Va'al - Those are some serious names right there, and great models to work with/from! At this point, I believe, the question is: how did the transition happen? When did you go from student artist to professional? IDW isn't your first gig, is it?

Corin - No it isn't actually. My first project was actually right out of college back in 2013. The SCAD sequential department hosts a “Mini Comics Expo” after every Editors Day and I decided to table since it was my last quarter. It worked out because I met my editor from VIZ Media who right after the expo, put me on a short “Ben 10” Halloween comic. I worked well with cartoons, so after that they put me on the “40th Anniversary of Hello Kitty” anthology (which was nominated for an Eisner!) and then I worked on a few projects with "Bravest Warriors" with VIZ, doing a Seek-and-Find page and then a “Choose Your Own Adventure” book.

I was still in the starting phase, but I also wanted to branch out and try new things. Then that same year, around September I think I applied for the Murphy Apprenticeship, then the next thing I knew I was working on “Cafe Racer” with the other students (Clay McCormick, Tana Ford, Jorge Coelho, Stephen Green, and Joe Dellagatta).

I guess the transition happened right after I got out of the Apprenticeship. I wanted to work more on establishing myself in different areas of comics, so I started making plans for con season. I went to Heroes Con 2014, I tabled and met with one of my first contacts with ONI Press, then came SDCC 2014 -- that's where I met John and Mairghread thanks to Marcelo Matere who introduced me (and also where I geeked out without realizing that these guys were editors/writers and possibly showed that I was biggest nerd in the universe). I basically made it my goal to meet with as many people as I could so I can establish myself, and after that long summer of traveling I was getting contracts.

Va'al - And now you're here, to the big robots! How did you actually get to the Windblade series position, after your meeting with Scott and Barber? Did you pitch something in your geek-out, or were you asked to step in?

Corin - And here I am! I actually didn't get the call till earlier this year (I think it was late Jan or Feb). I think my geek out session had something to do with it, I can't help but be a fangirl sometimes. But John knew I was a major TF fan, so when I got that email to do a test page I was like “SERIOUSLY??” and proceeded to bounce with glee. I was practically giddy when I learned that I got the part too because it's like “CHILDHOOD DREAM ACHIEVED”.

Va'al - I can only imagine the feeling coming from a call like that. If you are able to discern, at this stage, what is your favorite part of working with Mairghread Scott on Transformers: Windblade? How does it compare so far to other projects?

Corin - Mairghread is a lot of fun to work with, especially since she’s so open to the artist’s suggestions. We especially work well with grasping the character’s expression at specific moments. I also love how she’s specific on character personalities -- like when we were talking about the project, she went into detail about how characters acted and their body language, hand gestures. How Chromia as Windblade’s bodyguard, she stands tall and presents herself as a powerful individual, for example.

Compared to other projects? I’m not sure to be honest, I have fun with all of my projects because it gives me a chance to try new things!

Va'al - That sounds like the Mairghread we've come to know! And do you colour your own art, or are you joined by someone else on the series? Is Tom Long returning on lettering too?

Corin - We have Thomas Teyowisonte Deer on coloring for the Windblade issues I’m working on. I don't usually do my own colors for pages because I’m more of an inker, only with single illustrations will I color. I’m not sure who's lettering this round but we’ll find out!

Va'al - We sure will, and we're quite intrigued about the Combiner Wars aftermath already! Are there any highlights so far that you actually tell us about the series, anything you're particularly excited about yourself?

Corin - New worlds and new characters! I know it's been hinted at Velocitron in the June and July listings, so I’m excited to draw some awesome racing scenes! There’s more characters coming, but unfortunately I can't spoil too much. ;)

Not appearing in Windblade, alas..

Va'al - That's a tease and a half, especially after all the work we're currently seeing in Combiner Wars and seeded all the way back in Windblade (volume 1) #4! But I'm sure all good things will come to those of us who can patient just a little longer..

Corin, it has been a pleasure talking to you, and thank you for taking some time out for us - any last things you'd like to mention, or plug?

Corin - It's been a pleasure having a chance to talk to you guys! This is really exciting!
Also there's more of my Transformers work online (Twitter, Tumblr, etc.) right here: http://rin636.wix.com/rinpin

I also have a book with DC Comics coming out called “Bat-Mite”, so if you’re interested you should check it out! :D

That is all from the Seibertron.com and IDW backstages for this time, readers. Make sure to pick up Windblade #3 for an appetiser, and Windblade #4 when it hits later this month, to see Corin's art in action, and let us know if you'd like more of this type of feature in the comments!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Seibertron.com Interviews Corin Howell

Postby padfoo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:38 am

Weapon: Concussion Cannon
Mad Maximus!! I would love a Transformers oneshot based in this world. If any of you have not seen the latest Mad Max movie it is
Amazing! :KREMZEEK:
padfoo
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby Optimizzy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:59 am

Motto: "One look at me and you're lost."
Weapon: Requiem Blaster
I really like that crossover potential :)
I have been into transformers since 1984.
While I love G1 I also love new innovations and takes on the characters.
I prefer official Hasbro releases of stuff for the most part
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese original Transformers media or designs.
It's easier for me to say which are my LEAST favorite toy lines: Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise.
TFCon List: Classics Skywarp, General Optimus, BW Airrazor, Transmetal Tarantulus, Alternity Prime, Fire Convoy
Optimizzy
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby Autobot_Crossfire » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Weapon: Air-To-Ground Missiles
Mad Maximus eh? Definitley a good custom idea.
Autobot_Crossfire
Mini-Con
Strength: 7
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby Bounti76 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Her art style seems to be more Animated than traditional. Not bad at all, just not my cup of tea.

I do wonder, though, where's Sarah Stone? While not my absolute favorite, hers was the best blend between expressive and more traditional Transformers art. I thought she was going to be doing Combiner Wars, if not all of Windblade. Where did she go?
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Optimum Supreme » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Motto: "That's [not out yet/never came out] in my area."
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
padfoo wrote:Mad Maximus!! I would love a Transformers oneshot based in this world. If any of you have not seen the latest Mad Max movie it is

Would probably get into naming issues because of Marvel's Maximus the Mad of the Inhumans.
Optimum Supreme
Godmaster
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 7
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 4

Postby dragons » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Optimum Supreme wrote:
padfoo wrote:Mad Maximus!! I would love a Transformers oneshot based in this world. If any of you have not seen the latest Mad Max movie it is

Would probably get into naming issues because of Marvel's Maximus the Mad of the Inhumans.

thats funny exactly how i described ma max movie pu transformers in mad max fury raod movie it be transformers movie with all explosions
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Convoy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:49 pm

It's always fun to read these interviews and get a little insight.

I cannot stop looking at that Mad Maximus. It's so cool!
Information wants to be free.
Convoy
Fuzor
News Credits: 5

Postby DedicatedGhostArt » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Motto: "i know kung fu. -Keanu Reeves"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Her art is probably my favorite IDW transformers comic art ever. :D
She is an inspiration indeed! (To all you people who think I'm sexist, shut up, I am ready to admit some girls are tougher, stronger, and more skilled than me, and I am not sorry about it!)
:PEACE:

I am probably even gonna get CW deluxe Streetwise just to get her comic! :D
DedicatedGhostArt
Guardian Of Seibertron
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 1

Postby MaverickPrime » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Motto: "Why do I even bother?"
Weapon: Metal-slashing Claw
As someone who dreams to one day work in the franchise, be it on the comics or on the toys(toys being the priority), it's always fascinating to read how the artists got into the fandom and the media, it really is inspiring :D
Also, my god! She looks EXACTLY like a girl that slapped me in elementary school for reasons that to this day I still completely ignore!
MaverickPrime
Vehicon
News Credits: 26
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Windsweeper » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:13 am

I like her stuff. Nice to see someone follow their dream. Is it wrong to say I think she's cute?
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby steve2275 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:02 am

Motto: "it may not get better
but it wont get any worse"
Windsweeper wrote:I like her stuff. Nice to see someone follow their dream. Is it wrong to say I think she's cute?

if its wrong then lock me up
after i buy and read the issue :lol:
i come and go more than a hmw programmer
or a karma chameleon
BEAT L.A.
im content
WWWYKI!!!
steve2275
City Commander
Watch steve2275 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 2
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby ScottyP » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:07 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
Bounti76 wrote:Her art style seems to be more Animated than traditional. Not bad at all, just not my cup of tea.

I do wonder, though, where's Sarah Stone? While not my absolute favorite, hers was the best blend between expressive and more traditional Transformers art. I thought she was going to be doing Combiner Wars, if not all of Windblade. Where did she go?

We're in total agreement here. I actually think the style could fit the books, it was just a bit very jarring after mostly Livio on an entire arc, starting with Punishment, to then jump to this for the conclusion.

As for Stone, I don't think anyone knows :/ Hope everything is ok and she's just busy with other assignments!
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby MGrotusque » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:43 am

Anyways....cool article. I was stoked to read how much of a fan she is.
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Firepower: 9

Postby MrBlack » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Good interview. Corin's art style is a good compliment to Sarah Stone's, and I'll be happy to see her on the Windblade book.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 4
Speed: 6
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Bounti76 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:30 pm

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
ScottyP wrote:
Bounti76 wrote:Her art style seems to be more Animated than traditional. Not bad at all, just not my cup of tea.

We're in total agreement here. I actually think the style could fit the books, it was just a bit very jarring after mostly Livio on an entire arc, starting with Punishment, to then jump to this for the conclusion.

As for Stone, I don't think anyone knows :/ Hope everything is ok and she's just busy with other assignments!

That actually makes a lot of sense. After seeing Livio's (admittedly better than usual) art throughout the arc, it really throws me off to see such vibrant, expressive art for the last issue of the event. Stone's art was great in the first issue of Windblade Vol. 2, but she's gone M.I.A. since. I hope she returns to do most of the Windblade series.
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 6

Postby BERSEKAEL » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:17 pm

mad maximus looks like movieverse megatron DOTM truck
BERSEKAEL
Combiner
News Credits: 2
Buy from BERSEKAEL on eBay
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Va'al » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:59 am

Bounti76 wrote:
ScottyP wrote:

That actually makes a lot of sense. After seeing Livio's (admittedly better than usual) art throughout the arc, it really throws me off to see such vibrant, expressive art for the last issue of the event. Stone's art was great in the first issue of Windblade Vol. 2, but she's gone M.I.A. since. I hope she returns to do most of the Windblade series.

Again, it was confirmed a while back, and we touched on it in the interview, that Howell is the new regular artist working with Scott on the Windblade series.

That is not, however, to say that Stone will not show up again! I believe she may have some covers up her sleeve, if anything. :-?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Va'al » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:06 am

I love the new banner for this interview so much. :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby transformnerd114 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:02 am

Motto: "Interactions are always preceded by two separate points of perspective by which many factors have led to the moment of the event occurring."
Weapon: Shoulder-Mounted Automatic Incendiary Gun
Velocitron, eh? I wonder if Override will make a cameo? By Primus, I hope so; all of the Planet-Leaders from TFC I hope will too, in fact.
My Current TF Count= 327;
Autobots= 163; Decepticons= 154;
Both= 2;
Predacons= 7; Maximals= 1
transformnerd114
Mini-Con
News Credits: 4
Watch transformnerd114 on YouTube
Alt Mode: Boeing 747SP
Firepower: 8

Postby ScottyP » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
transformnerd114 wrote:Velocitron, eh? I wonder if Override will make a cameo? By Primus, I hope so; all of the Planet-Leaders from TFC I hope will too, in fact.

As someone that really got re-hooked into the franchise by Cybertron/Galaxy Force: yes, I absolutely hope this happens as well. The Gigantion/Planet-X thing could be a fun side story/place for the Lost Light crew to run into as well.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:05 am

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
transformnerd114 wrote:Velocitron, eh? I wonder if Override will make a cameo? By Primus, I hope so; all of the Planet-Leaders from TFC I hope will too, in fact.

Already got a name drop, so yes, I would expect to see Override in the future.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 4
Courage: 6
Skill: 10+

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAST SHADOWHAWK #1 Cvr G Glossy Image Comics 2022 JUN220015 1G (CA) White Sketch"
LAST SHADOWHAWK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Spawn UNWANTED VIOLENCE #2 Cvr B virgin Image Comics DEC220303 2B (CA) Del Mundo"
Spawn UNWANTED VIO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #23 Cvr C TWD 20th Annv Image Comics 2023 0823IM448 23C (CA) Segovia"
SCORCHED #23 Cvr C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #25 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 0823IM381 25A (CA) Panosian"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #343 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 APR230290 343A (W) McConville (CA) Stevens"
SPAWN #343 Cvr A I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #23 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 APR230254 23A (CA) Stevens (W) Lewis"
KING SPAWN #23 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #311 Cvr C Image Comics 2020 AUG200370 311C (W) McFarlane (CA) Mattina"
SPAWN #311 Cvr C I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #8 Cvr B Image Comics MAR220223 8B (CA) Blank Sketch 230531A"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #337 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 OCT220216 337B (W) McConville (CA) Toledano"
SPAWN #337 Cvr B I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #10 Cvr B Dynamic Forces DF Image Comics 2024 (CA) Haeser 240210A"
KING SPAWN #10 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #10 Cvr A Image Comics 2022 MAY220227 10A (CA) Keane"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #1 Cvr E Image Comics 2021 MAY218952 1E (CA) Capullo (W) Lewis"
KING SPAWN #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAST SHADOWHAWK #1 Cvr K 1:30 Image Comics 2022 JUN220019 1K (CA) Valentino"
LAST SHADOWHAWK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SAVAGE DRAGON #265 Cvr B retro 70s trade Image Comics OCT220202 265B (CA) Larsen"
SAVAGE DRAGON #265 ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Optimus Prime and Diac" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Movie Anniversary Edition Optimus Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON