This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW The Transformers #48 Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW The Transformers #48 Discussion Thread

Postby Va'al » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:09 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Hot on the heels of this week's release of The Transformers #47, iTunes brings us a three-page preview of the next chapter in the ongoing series by IDW! Check out the mirrored pages below, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub.

CONQUERORS, part 3! It all comes down to this… the fate of the AUTOBOTS, the survival of the human race, and the existence of a post-war CYBERTRON depends on the two greatest heroes in TRANSFORMERS history: BUSTER the dog and D.0.C. the drone.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW The Transformers #48 Discussion Thread

Postby Bounti76 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:42 am

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Ha! D.0.C and Buster together are cute. :)

Va'al, are you (or someone else) going to be doing a review of issue 47? And any idea when #48 is coming out? Seems odd to get a preview of the next issue the same day a new one is released.
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Va'al » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Review for #47 is indeed coming. My schedule just seems to be getting worse by the week!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby padfoo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Weapon: Concussion Cannon
So much cuteness in the face of impending doom. Thundercracker is played as kind of dopey and why is DOC so confused until recently Thundercracker Starscream and Skywarp all had different alternate modes. I have to remember, just enjoy....
padfoo
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Such cuteness and innocence in these 3 pages. Wow... I love it! I look forward to DOC saving the day with Buster :BOT:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby Windsweeper » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Firstly we were getting just Transformers in this series albeit mainly ones I hate: Bumblebee, Arcee, Wheeljack, Metalhawk, Jetfire, Ratbat and Kup.

To say nothing of turning Prowl and Needlenose into jerks.

Then we got the annoying humans Blackrock and Spike whose every storyline tends to be among the worst.

Now it's T-BOB from Mask's spark brother and a slagging dog!

Why did Hasbro continue to give their licence to Idw and Michael Bay?
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby ebonyleopard » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Motto: ""Never underestimate the stupid.""
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Windsweeper wrote:Firstly we were getting just Transformers in this series albeit mainly ones I hate: Bumblebee, Arcee, Wheeljack, Metalhawk, Jetfire, Ratbat and Kup.

Then we got the annoying humans Blackrock and Spike whose every storyline tends to be among the worst.

Because IDW is great at humanizing the big clunking robots and give them personalities beyond GOOD and BAD. (You got me on the M. Bay angle though).
ebonyleopard
Minibot
News Credits: 4
Intelligence: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Windsweeper wrote:Firstly we were getting just Transformers in this series albeit mainly ones I hate: Bumblebee, Arcee, Wheeljack, Metalhawk, Jetfire, Ratbat and Kup.

Because they do provide entertainment and great personality to the characters. Needlenose really didn't get much before IDW, as did several other characters. And they have worked things out very well and interesting. There is always a surprise for you. Just like MTMTE 43 with Swerve: that injury dates back 4-5 years in our time! things you never would have thought of :BOT:
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Va'al » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:27 am

Looks like a woof week ahead for the smallest dynamic duo currently around in IDW Publishing's The Transformers - check out below a full preview for the next issue of the ongoing series, as D.O.C. and Buster take centre stage and try to save the universe. We will be bringing you a review, as always, once the book is released, so stay tuned!

Transformers #48
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a & c)
CONQUERORS, part 3! It all comes down to this… the fate of the AUTOBOTS, the survival of the human race, and the existence of a post-war CYBERTRON depends on the two greatest heroes in TRANSFORMERS history: BUSTER the dog and D.0.C. the drone.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Dogs and robots—can they save the day?
Woof! Wooff grrrrrrrrr… ARF!
Beep! Fweeeeeeet-boop!
Featuring a tribute cover Celebrating Archie’s Anniversary by Andrew Pepoy!
Variant cover by Alex Milne!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Moody magpie » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:49 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
I wonder what Griffith's reaction was to having to draw a dog peeing on the floor?
Moody magpie
Mini-Con
Intelligence: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Postby Mindmaster » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:53 am

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Moody magpie wrote:I wonder what Griffith's reaction was to having to draw a dog peeing on the floor?

Probably thought it was... piss funny.
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 8
Courage: 8

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:37 pm

I'm trying to decide if this issue is gonna make a serious or funny impact on me. It really does look amazing and I look forward to it, and it has to be a bit serious, but I love Buster and D0C in this and how they are being portrayed. I love it! :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

IDW The Transformers #48 Review

Postby Va'al » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:16 am

Bleep Bloop Woof
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Wassup, dog?

Story

We've had two parts of this new storyline already in the ongoing The Transformers series from IDW Publishing, and John Barber has chosen to take a peculiar type of break while not putting anything on hold. At all. But how does the strange POV issue work, you might ask? Find out some thoughts below.

The dialogue is riveting

It's impossible to escape the similarities with the Eisner-winning Fraction/Aja Hawkeye issue of Pizza Dog with this chapter of The Transformers series, and for a comics fan, this works suprisingly well without falling too much into heavy-handed homage. (Much like Redemption and Fury Road, really.)

Whine?

Having two points of view, undoubtedly, helps the narrative to flow, and switches between two characters that have found their way into the fandom and the new followers of the series. Buster, as an Earth dweller close to Thundercracker, and D.O.C. as a Cybertronian AI close to the Autobots do both bring a new perspective on the characters surrounding the otherwise main cast.

So insightful

Which leads quite nicely to the crux of the story, really, and something that I am obviously not going to spoil here, but has a lot to do with several theories that many fans have been speculating on for a while now, revolving around long-established lore and recent developments in ..well, everything.

Art

I have to commend Griffith on the clear work on an otherwise extremely hard script to master in terms of layout. The smaller amount of dialogue and narration means that most of the story has to be told with the visual component of the medium, and he does a stellar job with the frames and angles from both character perspectives.

Good transitions, too

The same perspectives are maintained, solidly, throughout their different takes in the book, by the magnificently subtle (though not that much once you realise) colour palettes and coding for the two. In the case of Buster in particular, Josh Perez' chromatic contrasts and blending of greys is just really well done, and makes the foreground even more prominent and incisive.

Points in cases

Also to be commended is the work of letterer Tom B. Long, as Buster and D.O.C. occupy two very different styles of font, tone and voice, which are worked incredibly well with a truly complex script for human dialogue during the Buster segments. The covers, on the other hand, have very little to do with the issue, though are pretty excellent in both the Archie tribute by Andy Pepoy and the Alex Milne/Perez triumphant Starscream (thumbnailed).

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Is the reveal present at the end of the book that surprising? No, not really, not at this point in the series. Is it pleasing? Yes, actually. It's brought about in a satisfying manner, with some good power and attention grabs, and a sustained if lighthearted narrative throughout the whole issue.

Narrative, right here

The real treat, however, is how the book looks, from the layouts and art to the colours and lettering. Griffith, Perez and Long work wonders together to really convey the multiple angles and pairs of eyes/optics through which we're looking at this small world growing bigger and smaller in equal measure. If you take anything from this, it's a treat for your own image processors.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Bounti76 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:23 am

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Am I the only one who's having trouble getting it to download?
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376

Postby Allenspurs » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 am

Bounti76 wrote:Am I the only one who's having trouble getting it to download?

No, it won't download. I have reported it to comixology. Wonder how long it will take to fix this time...
Allenspurs
Minibot
News Credits: 2
Watch Allenspurs on YouTube
Buy from Allenspurs on eBay

Postby Starsaber468 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:22 am

Motto: ""The universe deserves freedom, and I'll see that it gets it""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Why is buster speaking.....
Starsaber468
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Watch Starsaber468 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10

Postby Allenspurs » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:27 am

Starsaber468 wrote:Why is buster speaking.....

Panels with a grey outline translate what buster is saying and the yellow ones translate d.o.c

It's a comic about sentient robots from another planet and a talking dog is questioned?
Allenspurs
Minibot

Postby Randomhero » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:40 am

This was good! This was really good! I had doubts a third way through that this was going to be all buster and doc not because I didn't find it fun but because this was a 4 part story that's leading into something huge but boy did it turn around!

The twist was well executed too! I was wondering how this was going to go with All hail optimus coming especially with this decepticon alliance going on but I think it was done very well.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Allenspurs » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:55 am

Finally working!!!

Great issue, especially the frame with Jetfire and Thundercracker conversing with their counterparts.

Someone better than me really need to make a buster and D.O.C on shapeways..
Allenspurs
Minibot

Postby ctrlFrequency » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:51 am

Motto: "Björnen tycker om vegetarian...?"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
It was cute! But not in a 'I want to kill someone for making TFS cute" way :) however I read it just before I fell asleep to take a nap... and had surreal dreams damnit.

Blackrock was a little predictable though :roll:
Retired snarky mercenary, currently being a PITA to Burn.

Imagine a funny pic about a disgruntled TFEW player naming an alliance "F ctrl Frequence" here

HMW Team: Wired For Destruction[RDD DRK OPS], Infiltration and Assassin Stealth Team (and skilled in hiding behind Gore)

https://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwa ... ?id=103944

Burn wrote:P.S.
**** you CF. :D
ctrlFrequency
Godmaster
Watch ctrlFrequency on YouTube
Alt Mode: EA-18 Growler

Postby BumbleDouche » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:01 am

Motto: "The right to think & behave stupidly is a privilege too often abused."
Weapon: Tissue Demolecularization Gun
I thought this issue was great, an interesting change if nothing else. However, I'd be remiss to ignore another opportunity to slag off Livio Ramondelli lol. Andrew Griffith has done a fantastic job on this issue. Period. Limited dialogue meant that the story was largely being told via illustrations. This issue is a perfect example of artwork that is clear, unambiguous & contains an easy to follow progression, something I always consider vitally important in the comic medium. My point here is that this is exactly what Ramondelli consistently fails to do, even when he is given a more dialogue-heavy script. Figuring out what is supposed to be happening on the page when Ramondelli is behind the artwork can such a chore sometimes & I dread to think what kind of horrendous, incomprehensible mess we'd get if he was tasked with providing the artwork for an image-heavy issue like this.
"Megatron is the proof that tyranny is the finest form of government, under the right tyrant."
BumbleDouche
Vehicon
Alt Mode: Fighter Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #6 Cvr G 1:15 Dynamite Comics 2021 AUG210866 6G (CA) Conner"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD #192 2nd ptg Image Comics 2019 210119a (CA) Adlard + Stewart"
WALKING DEAD #192 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #75 Cvr F Image Comics 2023 0823IM327 75F (CA) Capullo + McCaig"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #87 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 0224IM328 87A (CA) Finch + McCaig"
NEW!
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #15 Cvr C Image Comics 2021 MAR210243 15C (CA) Rapoza"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #55 Cvr E Image Comics 2023 NOV220293 55E (CA) Adams"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #8 Cvr H 1:20 Dynamite Comics 2022 NOV210587 8H (CA)Cosplay"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #43 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 MAY220290 43B (CA) Adlard"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #32 Cvr C Image Comics 2022 DEC210345 32C (CA) Del Mundo"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #6 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2021 AUG210861 6B (CA) Linsner"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #34 Cvr E Image Comics 2022 JAN220320 34E (CA) Adlard"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #2 Cvr A Dynamite Comics 2021 APR211058 2A (CA) Conner"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #10 Cvr J 1:30 Dynamite Comics 2022 JAN220630 10J"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #9 Cvr A Boom Comics 2022 JUN220382 9A (CA) Albuquerque"
HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Sovereign and Alpha Trion" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Ravage(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Hyperfire and Blurr" on AMAZON