This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW The Transformers #49 Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW The Transformers #49 Discussion Thread

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
See, I don't know why, but MTMTE 48 (and I'm anticipating 49) and then this feel very rushed. Like Barber and Roberts have plans that suddenly they ran out of room to add preliminaries. Has to be the lead up to 50, cause all the rush does feel very uncharacteristic.

Also: RIP Sideswipe. Dammit you guys! You killed 2 of my 3 favorite transformers of all time!! (Trailbreaker being my first). Stop giving me heartache :BOT:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:33 pm

I very disagree I really liked this issue. It wasn't really a conclusion,! it really felt like the first half of a maxi-series and it kinda is. It didn't conclude anything it just built up and I'm pumped for All Hail Optimus now. Personally I felt it was a solid issue that was paced fine.

Let's be honest about Sideswipe, he's more than likely not dead. Sorry I'm not putting spoiler italics around but they don't work for whatever reason on the site. Sunstreaker, Kup, Cyclones, Rung, and more are but a small list of people that for all intended purposes have "died" in the past 5 years and are fine lol. Let's just wait and see before being upset.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Randomhero, I really want you to be right. Trailbreaker's death hurt cause I love that guy,and Sideswipe is my 2nd favorite, with Brainstorm being right there too. Since he's on the cover of 50 I have hope, but getting blown up and then shot in the head by Brawl doesn't fill me with confidence, especially since the story notes for 50 implied someone would die :BOT:
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby CombaticonsCombine? » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:50 pm

Motto: "<:: Cavolo. ::>"
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
I don't know why, but I really liked seeing Soundwave losing his cool. He just had his dreams of a peaceful Deceptifuture smashed, and he's ready to fight for it.

A little confused seeing Frenzy and Rumble working with Galvatron against Soundwave's ideals, but they haven't really been as associated with 'Wave in this universe, have they?

:CON:
CombaticonsCombine?
Minibot
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 4
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Va'al » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
CombaticonsCombine? wrote:I don't know why, but I really liked seeing Soundwave losing his cool. He just had his dreams of a peaceful Deceptifuture smashed, and he's ready to fight for it.

Same here. I love Barber's Soundwave. I really do, and I really feel for the guy.

Randomhero wrote:I very disagree I really liked this issue. It wasn't really a conclusion,! it really felt like the first half of a maxi-series and it kinda is. It didn't conclude anything it just built up and I'm pumped for All Hail Optimus now. Personally I felt it was a solid issue that was paced fine.

That's obviously fine, we are allowed to disagree! ;)

I just came away from my first read with '..is that it?', the second as 'Well, meh' and just a sense of growing frustration at the condensed version of a story that feels like getting to a point and sort of spilling part of its contents as it skips ahead. I am looking forward to AHO, but not because this issue built it up for me.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby RevTibe » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:59 pm

CombaticonsCombine? wrote:A little confused seeing Frenzy and Rumble working with Galvatron against Soundwave's ideals, but they haven't really been as associated with 'Wave in this universe, have they?
I'm curious about that too, but it might just come down to proximity - they're not suicidal, and telling big purple that they don't feel like being a Galvacon anymore when he's standing right there is a mite dangerous.

That, or they're just going with whoever offers them the most opportunities to get in scraps and break stuff. They are simple folk.
RevTibe
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Buy from RevTibe on eBay

Postby Genericon #378 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Motto: "Alpha Bravo."
Weapon: Twin Concentrated Vaporators
Come on, IDW! Why do you guys keep killing all the cool characters? Trailbreaker, Hardhead, Sideswipe, and, for the love of god, SWINDLE! You guys **** killed Swindle! Have you seen the reaction to these deaths? These are beloved characters we're talking about. :evil:
Genericon #378
Minibot
Alt Mode: Rated X
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Endurance: 2
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 10

Postby Va'al » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Genericon #378 wrote:Come on, IDW! Why do you guys keep killing all the cool characters? Trailbreaker, Hardhead, Sideswipe, and, for the love of god, SWINDLE! You guys **** killed Swindle! Have you seen the reaction to these deaths? These are beloved characters we're talking about. :evil:

Psst.. swindle lives
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby RevTibe » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Genericon #378 wrote:Come on, IDW! Why do you guys keep killing all the cool characters? Trailbreaker, Hardhead, Sideswipe, and, for the love of god, SWINDLE! You guys **** killed Swindle! Have you seen the reaction to these deaths? These are beloved characters we're talking about. :evil:
Of those, only the first two feel definite. Swindy got shot in the chest, climbed over to Rattrap and said whispered he had info that could take down Starscream. Rattrap calls over to Starscream that Swindle's totaaallllyyyy dead, don't worry boss, especially don't come over and check, you can trust me!

As for Sideswipe, sincerely doubting we've seen the last of him. Was only two or so issues ago Kup got ripped to shreds and an observer said "oooo look how dead he is. dang".

Show me the brain or spark being explicitly destroyed or total disintegration, then I'll believe the death will stick.
RevTibe
Vehicon
Buy from RevTibe on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Va'al wrote:
CombaticonsCombine? wrote:I don't know why, but I really liked seeing Soundwave losing his cool. He just had his dreams of a peaceful Deceptifuture smashed, and he's ready to fight for it.

Same here. I love Barber's Soundwave. I really do, and I really feel for the guy.

Randomhero wrote:I very disagree I really liked this issue. It wasn't really a conclusion,! it really felt like the first half of a maxi-series and it kinda is. It didn't conclude anything it just built up and I'm pumped for All Hail Optimus now. Personally I felt it was a solid issue that was paced fine.

That's obviously fine, we are allowed to disagree! ;)

I just came away from my first read with '..is that it?', the second as 'Well, meh' and just a sense of growing frustration at the condensed version of a story that feels like getting to a point and sort of spilling part of its contents as it skips ahead. I am looking forward to AHO, but not because this issue built it up for me.

And I totally respect your opinion and the review. I can see this issue polarizing people. You either loved it or didn't. The solicites very much sold this as a conclusion and if you were looking for a conclusion I can understand frustration. The solicites are getting pretty bad in my opinion anymore. It said Optimus vs Galvatron, didn't happen. Cosmos vs soundwave, didn't happen. It all comes together! It didn't.

Personally with the last issue centering around buster and DOC I figured that it wouldn't and it didn't.

I totally understand both opinions.
Last edited by Randomhero on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Swindle has to live so they can form Bruticus (which Windblade #7 strongly implied was going to happen) and I really am hoping Sideswipe lives. Trailbreaker is definite dead cause his brain was crushed and I don't get Hardhead's death: Cyclonus and him were both ex-DU, and Cyclonus survived having his shield destroyed, but Hardhead disintegrated. I don't get that (some explain please?) :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:40 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Swindle has to live so they can form Bruticus (which Windblade #7 strongly implied was going to happen) and I really am hoping Sideswipe lives. Trailbreaker is definite dead cause his brain was crushed and I don't get Hardhead's death: Cyclonus and him were both ex-DU, and Cyclonus survived having his shield destroyed, but Hardhead disintegrated. I don't get that (some explain please?) :BOT:

-COUGH STILL A BRIEFCASE WITH PARADOX LOCKS IN PLAY COUGH-
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Randomhero wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Swindle has to live so they can form Bruticus (which Windblade #7 strongly implied was going to happen) and I really am hoping Sideswipe lives. Trailbreaker is definite dead cause his brain was crushed and I don't get Hardhead's death: Cyclonus and him were both ex-DU, and Cyclonus survived having his shield destroyed, but Hardhead disintegrated. I don't get that (some explain please?) :BOT:

:shock: Forgot about that. Interesting...

Still, my question stands: why did Cyclonus live and Hardhead die? Same circumstances, different bot :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:50 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Still, my question stands: why did Cyclonus live and Hardhead die? Same circumstances, different bot :BOT:

I CAN ANSWER THAT! Lol

The dead universe was being controlled by Nova Prime. He can can manipulate that universe. When hardhead's sheild was destroyed he became undead again and Nova disintegrated him! Nova was very vain too, he probably wanted to keep Cyclonus around to gloat.

Or: hardhead may be hard, but Cyclonus is harder.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby CombaticonsCombine? » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Motto: "<:: Cavolo. ::>"
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Vector Sigma.

After the whole deal with Kimia and the (aptly titled, whoever came up with this name) Galvacons before MTMTE started, Cyclonus sacrificed himself to stop Galvatron. He was supposed to die, but since he was in Vector Sigma's chamber when it released the energy wave that reformatted Cybertron (I think it's the same wave? Not sure.), he got a facefull of resurrection.

Hardhead is deadsauce though.

Deadhead? Harddead? I dunno.
CombaticonsCombine?
Minibot
Endurance: 6
Courage: 4
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:57 pm

Randomhero wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

I CAN ANSWER THAT! Lol

The dead universe was being controlled by Nova Prime. He can can manipulate that universe. When hardhead's sheild was destroyed he became undead again and Nova disintegrated him! Nova was very vain too, he probably wanted to keep Cyclonus around to gloat.

Or: hardhead may be hard, but Cyclonus is harder.

This does make sense. Maybe Nova didn't even know cyclonus was infected, or maybe cause Hardhead was the only true threat to him immediately and he wanted to make an example of him is why he killed him and not Cyclonus :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:59 pm

CombaticonsCombine? wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Vector Sigma.

After the whole deal with Kimia and the (aptly titled, whoever came up with this name) Galvacons before MTMTE started, Cyclonus sacrificed himself to stop Galvatron. He was supposed to die, but since he was in Vector Sigma's chamber the energy wave that reformatted Cybertron (I think it's the same wave? Not sure.), he got a facefull of resurrection.

Hardhead is deadsauce though.

Deadhead? Harddead? I dunno.

I think D-Max is referring to Cyclonus dying a second time in Dark Cybertron.

Cyclonus also lived in the DU for 6 millions years. His body may have just been accustomed to it. We know not everyone on the ark survived going through the the portal. And yes hardhead was undead at one point but he may have just popped in and popped out, still became undead.

I think it was just Nova that did it with his power over the DU. He does tell them to watch as HeardHead dies.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby RevTibe » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:04 pm

The Cyclonus v. Hardhead thing's a pretty good point, and although there are workable answers (I'd favor the Nova Prime, control of the DU explanation), they feel like more of an excuse than a reason, if that makes sense.

Interesting note on the briefcase being in play, perhaps Megatron might be thinking that while he can't undo the impact of millions of years of war, maybe he can save just one life his fanclub took after his surrender...

CombaticonsCombine? wrote:After the whole deal with Kimia and the (aptly titled, whoever came up with this name) Galvacons before MTMTE started,

THE CREDIT IS MINE :CON:
RevTibe
Vehicon
Buy from RevTibe on eBay

Postby Va'al » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Randomhero wrote:And I totally respect your opinion and the review. I can see this issue polarizing people. You either loved it or didn't. The solicites very much sold this as a conclusion and if you were looking for a conclusion I can understand frustration. The solicites are getting pretty bad in my opinion anymore. It said Optimus vs Galvatron, didn't happen. Cosmos vs soundwave, didn't happen. It all comes together! It didn't.

Oh, I very much expect it all to happen from #50 onwards - but how it just happened here did not sit well with me.

Optimus is a colonialist prick with egotistic tendencies (as we already knew, really; he shoulda stayed Orion Pax flitting through space). I do not understand why Windblade and the others just shrug and go along for the ride.

As for Cosmos and Soundwave, I expected no showdown at all. I thought Soundwave would get burned, as he did, and that Cosmos would be there for it. Which did happen. In fact, right now their narrative arc is the one I am most interested in.

Side note: Skywarp. Can someone just help that bot out? Please? It breaks my heart to see him abused to this point, he's almost developing Stockholm syndrome towards Galvatron (he had him tied up since FOREVER, for crying out loud!).
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Skywarp truly is a tragedy. Poor guy is only being used at this moment, and that has to have some sort of effect farther down the road, maybe even a life-changing one. He has a story arc going, just gotta see where it goes :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Tigertrack » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I agree with Vaal. I was underwhelmed when I expected to be floored. I felt rushed, I felt Prime's part felt odd. I've been very happy with the writing and art in this book for th most part up until this point.

I was also sad for Sideswipe. Tracks gets to live, but Sideswipe is now looking to be non-functional although we have no confirmation either way like we got with Tracks.

I guess there's always issue #50, although this left a sour taste in my mouth.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 9
Skill: 10

Postby Windlacer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Weapon: Scatter Blaster
This issue was devastating for me. Sidesewipe is my favorite character in the entire franchise and I have a feeling he won't be back. I feel like execution-style deaths usually indicate the character is out for good. That, and with Sunstreaker back on Earth, it'll probably be setup for another emotional arc for Sunnny. Ugh, I am just so sad over Sideswipe...

Also, I am both happy and sad that there's no more "the war is over" stuff. It's clear that full-blown conflict is finally admitted and in the open.

Loved the art, though!
Windlacer
Mini-Con
Watch Windlacer on YouTube
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:And I totally respect your opinion and the review. I can see this issue polarizing people. You either loved it or didn't. The solicites very much sold this as a conclusion and if you were looking for a conclusion I can understand frustration. The solicites are getting pretty bad in my opinion anymore. It said Optimus vs Galvatron, didn't happen. Cosmos vs soundwave, didn't happen. It all comes together! It didn't.

Oh, I very much expect it all to happen from #50 onwards - but how it just happened here did not sit well with me.

Optimus is a colonialist prick with egotistic tendencies (as we already knew, really; he shoulda stayed Orion Pax flitting through space). I do not understand why Windblade and the others just shrug and go along for the ride.

As for Cosmos and Soundwave, I expected no showdown at all. I thought Soundwave would get burned, as he did, and that Cosmos would be there for it. Which did happen. In fact, right now their narrative arc is the one I am most interested in.

Side note: Skywarp. Can someone just help that bot out? Please? It breaks my heart to see him abused to this point, he's almost developing Stockholm syndrome towards Galvatron (he had him tied up since FOREVER, for crying out loud!).

I get what you mean with Optimus. I'm not annoyed but I don't understand what is going on with hm. He took his name back but nothing else. He's not really leader of anything or anyone. He's telling Autobots what to do but not really ordering them and yes the Camians are worshipping him but he really just feels out of place. I k ow that's what the story is doing with him but it doesn't feel fluid and natural. I'm sure with the return of Sentinel and the Titans Return story will give us a better focus than he's had in the past year.

As for Skywarp. Poor guy. However my first reaction with the huge group shot at the EDC base was "OH MY GOD SKYWARP AND THUNDERCRACKER IN THE SAME ROOM! ITS ABOUT TO GET REAL!" Sadly it didn't. This wax actually the first time they have been at arms length since Skywarp tried to kill him at the end of All Hail Megatron. I am waiting for those two to finally have words.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ProfessorParis » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Galavtron to me is a hollow character in this series. He reminds me of a bad anime villain who laughs constantly while raising his shoulders. He has no spark.
ProfessorParis
Mini-Con
Buy from ProfessorParis on eBay

Postby Va'al » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:15 am

Randomhero wrote:
Va'al wrote:

I get what you mean with Optimus. I'm not annoyed but I don't understand what is going on with hm. He took his name back but nothing else. He's not really leader of anything or anyone. He's telling Autobots what to do but not really ordering them and yes the Camians are worshipping him but he really just feels out of place. I k ow that's what the story is doing with him but it doesn't feel fluid and natural. I'm sure with the return of Sentinel and the Titans Return story will give us a better focus than he's had in the past year.

As Burn told me in conversation:

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings ... provided of course you let me take control of your planet to protect you from the "bad" guys"

That is several levels of Prowl. With the added insult that he probably actually believes he's doing a good thing.

(Hmmmm.. parallels with Western foreign policies towards countries about to be/being run by 'extremists' perhaps..? :-? )
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #1 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2023 MAY230474 1B (CA) Quah"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr H 1:15 Dynamite Comics 2023 JUN230660 2H (CA) Crain"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #3 Cvr O 1:30 Dynamite Comics 2023 JUL230292 3O (CA) Andolfo"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr M 1:20 Dynamite Comics 2024 Disney AUG230328 11M (CA) Lee"
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr I 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2024 AUG230324 11I Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #110 Cvr D 1:25 Boom Studios Comics MAY230345 110D"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #53 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2020 JUN200770 MMPR"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr F action figure Dynamite Comics 2024 AUG230321 11F Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #7 Cvr R LTD Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney APR230466 7R (CA) Conner"
NEW!
GARGOYLES #7 Cvr R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #6 Cvr J 1:20 Dynamite Comics 2023 MAR230502 6J (CA) Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #6 Cvr J ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr I 1:15 Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney NOV220591 2I (CA) Nakayama"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #115 Cvr G FOC Boom Studios Comics OCT230080 115G"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR THE RETURN #2 Cvr C 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2024 JAN240062 2C (CA) Montes"
NEW!
MMPR THE RETURN #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #4 Cvr F 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2023 JAN230392 4F"
MMPR TMNT II #4 Cv ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Air Raid Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Cogman" on AMAZON