This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #50 Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #50 Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:52 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I still say that a twist in the vein of "I was evil along fools!" Is in itself bad writing, everyone is still expecting it and it's a twist as stupid as most of M. Night Shamylan (spelling wrong I know) twists.

But I digress, it sea people always fall into the camps of "just pretending to be good" and "wanting redemption" so I have to ask, why do people want him evil? There's other bad guys out there now who can have the spotlight, galvatron has never shined so bright...apart from the old marvel comics.

As for one autobot life meaning more to wiping out millions? Well how many of them did he really know personally? That and redemption stories all start with the protagonist finding new value in life.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
A twist like Megs being evil for years while being an Autobot just doesn't seem to fit with what we seen. I believe he truly is going down that different path :BOT:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Va'al » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:39 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Just for information, there are some previews and extra pages floating around the internet for MTMTE #50.
We will not be newsing anything until we get the actual material from IDW.

Please read James Roberts' message about the situation, too:

[...] it pains me that random, spoiler-heavy panels/pages, out of both context and sequence, will spread everywhere over the next two weeks, making it nigh-on impossible for readers to approach this exceptionally important issue as the creative team intended. You won't read the issue as it was written or experience it as it was designed to be experienced. Furthermore, sales could take a dent.

So please, if you've happened upon some pages from #50 that aren't 4, 5 or 6, don't share them.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:31 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Really sucks considering this was supposed to come out today, and yet is delayed 2 weeks. It needs to get back to the regular slot of the last week of the month, not the second week of the following month :MAXIMAL:
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Professor Smooth » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:10 am

I don't know why this happened, but the book was released on iTunes here in Japan. The whole issue, in English, for 950 yen.

I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, but I will say that it's worth waiting for. Not sure if it's possible to use the Japanese version of iTunes from outside the country, but if you can, get on it. ;)
Professor Smooth
Headmaster
News Credits: 553

Postby Va'al » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:14 am

Professor Smooth wrote:I don't know why this happened, but the book was released on iTunes here in Japan. The whole issue, in English, for 950 yen.

I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, but I will say that it's worth waiting for. Not sure if it's possible to use the Japanese version of iTunes from outside the country, but if you can, get on it. ;)

Yep, we were aware of this, and thank you for keeping quiet on it!
idw-transformers-more-than-meets-the-eye-50-discussion-thread-p1769786.php#p1769508
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:52 pm

If anyone posts unmarked spoilers and/or non-officially-distributed "preview" pages here I will perma ban you never be friends with you.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby o.supreme » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
Hopefully with March & June having 5 Wednesdays, they will be able to get back on production schedule. Especially if ever down the road they want to do another crossover event. It would not be very well received to read things out of order.

But then again SoTW #4 is also delayed, and TF vs GI Joe, well that appears like the Ghost of Christmas Future, and really should be put to an end, hopefully soon. Also I talked to one of the comic shop workers. Apparently DC is behind on a number of titles as well. looks to be happening more & more in the industry.
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 55
Watch o.supreme on YouTube
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Postby Va'al » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 am

o.supreme wrote:Hopefully with March & June having 5 Wednesdays, they will be able to get back on production schedule. Especially if ever down the road they want to do another crossover event. It would not be very well received to read things out of order.

But then again SoTW #4 is also delayed, and TF vs GI Joe, well that appears like the Ghost of Christmas Future, and really should be put to an end, hopefully soon. Also I talked to one of the comic shop workers. Apparently DC is behind on a number of titles as well. looks to be happening more & more in the industry.

It's not a production issue, or at least not from the creative side. There is something big happening in the physical production and shipping of the books across the board.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #50 Full Preview

Postby ScottyP » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:07 pm

After delays, false previews, cut parts and more delays, the second milestone for IDW Publishing Transformers is here - More Than Meets the Eye also reaches issue #50! Check out below a full preview, as first shown on Newsarama, and make sure to head back here next week for the regular Seibertron.com review of this landmark issue.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #50
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne & Brendan Cahill (a) • Griffith (c)
THE DYING OF THE LIGHT—PART 1! Since joining the Lost Light, MEGATRON has rejected everything that once made him the most feared and hated Cybertronian of all time. But penitence has a price, and before the ex-Decepticon can find true redemption he must first confront his darkest legacy—the Decepticon Justice Division.
FC • 48 pages • $7.99

Bullet points:
MEGATRON’S past comes back to haunt him—literally!
The D.J.D. are utterly committed to punishing any who abandon MEGATRON’s cause… and now they know MEGATRON is an AUTOBOT!
The masterplan of TRANSFORMER’s geniuses James Roberts and Alex Milne reveals itself!
The story begins here—but you won’t believe where it will end!
Will the Lost Light survive? Nothing is sure!
Variant Cover by Alex Milne!

Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Oh dear, looks like they are going to need a miracle. Though I wonder if they blank one of the previews as to not give spoilers.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Looks like Tarn is holding them at gunpoint while having them all record their last wishes. I think it's Tarn based on the shadow across Nightbeat's face that Red Alert pointed out. Looks like a double fusion cannon.
BATTLEMASTER IIC
Vehicon

Postby Noideaforaname » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Hasn't everyone died, like, twice already? Starting off a series with "they all DIE" is a cheap tactic to begin with, but MtMtE has had so many fake-outs this just doesn't have the slightest effect.
"He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life."
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
Noideaforaname
City Commander
News Credits: 7

Postby Randomhero » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Noideaforaname wrote:Hasn't everyone died, like, twice already? Starting off a series with "they all DIE" is a cheap tactic to begin with, but MtMtE has had so many fake-outs this just doesn't have the slightest effect.

I'm with you there. I don't believe this in the slightest. The DJD don't give out final requests. Not to their own and absolutely not Autobots. The first pages feel like nothing but Tumblr bait anymore.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby MTMESkids » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:07 am

still....5 days...
Anyway whos's faces are on the stones in the cover?
I thik I reckognize Drift, and Overlord....an other ideas?
MTMESkids
Mini-Con

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:15 am

I don't know about that randomhero, being Roberts creations he's free to dicate their way of engagement, especially if megatron is involved and as part of a deal has brokered an execution time as part of his own plan to rescue everyone.

Let's face it, tarn would believe megs if he said this was a trick, and listen to him on all matters (when he's not trying to kill him.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Squiddy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:27 am

Noideaforaname wrote:Hasn't everyone died, like, twice already? Starting off a series with "they all DIE" is a cheap tactic to begin with, but MtMtE has had so many fake-outs this just doesn't have the slightest effect.

The people who boarded the Lost Light in issue #1 were died and was bought back by quantum shenanigans. Everyone at this point is on their last life. I will say that I feel like James has gotten scared of killing off major characters. He's been hyping up #50 on his twitter for a good while but I just think he likes getting people overly excited....

Randomhero wrote: I'm with you there. I don't believe this in the slightest. The DJD don't give out final requests. Not to their own and absolutely not Autobots. The first pages feel like nothing but Tumblr bait anymore.

First: Tarn did. Issue #39, in the beginning, his latest victim requested to take his mask off as a "last words". Think about it, the LL is a huge ship filled with Autobots. Tarn has a big group of Decepticons with him. When will there be a more perfect time to strike fear onto others about the DJD and their ruthless actions?

Second: What the hell do the first pages relate ANYTHING to tumblr? It's a bleak/dark opening so let's blame tumblr for it? Your logic is confusing... :???:
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
Squiddy
Mini-Con

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:44 am

Squiddy wrote:

The people who boarded the Lost Light in issue #1 were died and was bought back by quantum shenanigans. Everyone at this point is on their last life. I will say that I feel like James has gotten scared of killing off major characters. He's been hyping up #50 on his twitter for a good while but I just think he likes getting people overly excited....

Randomhero wrote: I'm with you there. I don't believe this in the slightest. The DJD don't give out final requests. Not to their own and absolutely not Autobots. The first pages feel like nothing but Tumblr bait anymore.

First: Tarn did. Issue #39, in the beginning, his latest victim requested to take his mask off as a "last words". Think about it, the LL is a huge ship filled with Autobots. Tarn has a big group of Decepticons with him. When will there be a more perfect time to strike fear onto others about the DJD and their ruthless actions?

Second: What the hell do the first pages relate ANYTHING to tumblr? It's a bleak/dark opening so let's blame tumblr for it? Your logic is confusing... :???:

These are nothing but confessions and requests of where to be buried and how their funerals should be. Not how the DJD work, we saw how they handled the duplicate lost light.

This is cheesy found footage confessions like in Blair witch. The DJD are not recording their last words and requests. The crew themselves are making them, and the line from Red Alert is to throw you off like most of what James does in his writing. he puts a little thing in to keep you focused while he's doing something else. Similar to Shockwaves origin. You read the whole thing and go "there were little clues everywhere!" But you're not paying attention to them because you're focusing on the red white and blue color scheme and going "the senator is ultra Magnus!" That's how James writes.

These first pages are meant for you to go "OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!" And I not feeling it.

Also, it doesn't matter who dies! They have a time machine brief case with paradox locks! It doesn't matter! Why do you think there's a three week time difference? Everyone can die except a couple people, they use the brief case and can literally change the outcome and and Optimus can jump in and everyone is fine because the biggest "F YOU" mcguffin is in their hands.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby MTMESkids » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Randomhero wrote:
Squiddy wrote:

These are nothing but confessions and requests of where to be buried and how their funerals should be. Not how the DJD work, we saw how they handled the duplicate lost light.

This is cheesy found footage confessions like in Blair witch. The DJD are not recording their last words and requests. The crew themselves are making them, and the line from Red Alert is to throw you off like most of what James does in his writing. he puts a little thing in to keep you focused while he's doing something else. Similar to Shockwaves origin. You read the whole thing and go "there were little clues everywhere!" But you're not paying attention to them because you're focusing on the red white and blue color scheme and going "the senator is ultra Magnus!" That's how James writes.

These first pages are meant for you to go "OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!" And I not feeling it.

Also, it doesn't matter who dies! They have a time machine brief case with paradox locks! It doesn't matter! Why do you think there's a three week time difference? Everyone can die except a couple people, they use the brief case and can literally change the outcome and and Optimus can jump in and everyone is fine because the biggest "F YOU" mcguffin is in their hands.

On the other hand, maybe the DJD feels capturing the lost light with Megatron, and show this kind of fear and hopelessness to the world is a more effective message than destroy them in silence. Don't forget the first time it was just ordinary business. now its about Megatron. :) But who knows?

For me even that I think/hope that the majority of these guys will stay alive, this few pages give the feeling of hopelessness.

What is also interesting that as I see two or three characters says betrayal...by who?
MTMESkids
Mini-Con

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 pm

MTMESkids wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
Squiddy wrote:

On the other hand, maybe the DJD feels capturing the lost light with Megatron, and show this kind of fear and hopelessness to the world is a more effective message than destroy them in silence. Don't forget the first time it was just ordinary business. now its about Megatron. :) But who knows?

For me even that I think/hope that the majority of these guys will stay alive, this few pages give the feeling of hopelessness.

What is also interesting that as I see two or three characters says betrayal...by who?

Ravage.

The DJD don't need to show anything, they're walking killing machines that are already feared by most.

Also, it's not the end of MTMTE. Its the End of this "season", one or two main characters will die MAYBE. I don't believe for 5 seconds Rung will because will its Rung. He's still a giant mystery. There still has to be a crew for MTMTE to go on.

All I can think about is how the Overload story was labeled as being a massacre...we lost borderline red shirt Pipes(still sad) but he was a red shirt, Rewind who's alive again and a dude who looked like minicon Highwire. Truly a massacre. Dying light we lost Ambulon. What a contribution he was, it felt like his death was going to have meaning to First Aid but that plot was swipped under the rug and even the last two issues were sold as "death in the corridors" no one died.

Sorry but I'm not buying this comic anymore as being a heartbreaking series. I hope the story is good but to cry over who dies and lives is pointless.
Last edited by Randomhero on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Squiddy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Randomhero wrote:

You bring up a good point. Even though Tarn is being built up to encounter Megatron very soon, it's very possible that it's not Tarn.

It could be the same species that the LL were fighting 3 weeks ago. Megatron made it clear to not kill any of them, cue Tailgate directly splitting one of their heads open with a punch. This could've caught the attention of the Galactic Council's attention and are being sentenced to death on the ship. Or hell, it could be Overlord since Red Alert asked Fortress Maximus if that gun shadow looked familiar. It's up in the air who's actually standing there and making them request how they want to be buried. Personally, I like those little drips of subtext in MTMTE, it makes it clear that you have to pay attention to who's saying what to who.

Megatron has the only briefcase left on the ship, the rest were destroyed, but who said he'd save everyone on the ship with it? He's renounced being violent but he's still Megatron....BTW Optimus Prime is too busy with the garbage he started on Earth so he's not coming to help.

It's perfectly fine that you're not generally interested in the first couple of pages presented but don't use the overused excuse of "it's tumblr's fault". It really comes off that you just want to blame this issue on something that doesn't even relate to the comic itself.
Last edited by Squiddy on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
NINJA WARRIOR
Squiddy
Mini-Con

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:40 pm

I still think that the shadow is megs who is doing some machination against tarn who as the ultimate fan boy will probably accept megs back in a heart beat.

You are right though that there is some clues there that we haven't seen yet.

Again though you're assuming that the djd are going to do everything the same as before when this is a different scenario, they know they'll be going after a ship they already tore apart once, and if Roberts wants to play this differently then it's his call.

Another little thing I noticed, nightbeats request, it's a nice little call back and this could be forshadowing titans return where we know nightbeat is a titan master.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm not completely sure what to make of it yet. But those guys do look pretty beat up that's for sure. Poor Nautica :MAXIMAL:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby CombaticonsCombine? » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:56 am

Motto: "<:: Cavolo. ::>"
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
People complaining about them using the briefcase as a MacGuffin to save everyone, please remember this:

The briefcases were all part of a larger time machine. An individual briefcase can't be used for time travel if the others are destroyed. Which they are. Furthermore, we know the DJD do occasionally give final requests. But honestly, I don't see this as just the DJD. Since the DJD has aligned themselves with Deathsaurus' troops, it could be any of them as well.

And, to indirectly quote someone, I don't think these pages are supposed to be "OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!" material. We've seen Roberts' writing when it's meant to resemble that, and this isn't it. It's entirely possible this isn't supposed to hype us, but just leave us wanting more. Like a cliffhanger, which is what many of these previews have been.

I feel a lot of people are misreading these few pages when they're out of context, so hopefully this post can help put those misconceptions to rest.
CombaticonsCombine?
Minibot
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 4
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Mr Skram » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:40 am

Motto: "Loose joints cost lives."
Weapon: Optical Distortion Projector
Anyone else feel like it was a bit of a letdown? I mean, some cool stuff happened but it's another issue that left me saying "next issue is going to be awesome!" instead of "this issue was awesome!".
Mr Skram
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Alt Mode: A maroon 1989 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr P 1:150 virgin Dynamite Comics 2023 NOV220598 2P (CA) Parrillo"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr P ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR THE RETURN #2 Cvr B Boom Studios Comics 2024 JAN240061 2B (CA) Ejikure"
NEW!
MMPR THE RETURN #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr D Boom Studios Comics 2022 OCT220272 1D (CA) Mora"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Power Rangers UNLIMITED COINLESS #1 Cvr A Boom Studios Comics 2023 APR230354 1A"
Power Rangers UNLI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #109 Cvr A Boom Studios Comics 2023 APR230358 109A"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #113 Cvr H FOC Boom Studios Comics AUG230030 113H"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr B Boom Studios Comics 2022 OCT220270 1B (CA) Mora"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #5 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2024 SEP230244 5B (CA) Quah"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #114 Cvr E 1:25 Boom Studios Comics SEP230083 114E"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #115 Cvr D 1:10 Boom Studios Comics OCT230077 115D"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #3 Cvr H 1:10 modern icon Dynamite Comics DEC220626 3H (CA) Conner"
GARGOYLES #3 Cvr H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #10 Cvr Q FOC Dynamite Comics 2023 JUL239367 10Q (CA) Haeser"
GARGOYLES #10 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #111 Cvr G 1:75 Boom Studios Comics 111G 230906B"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR 30TH ANNV SPECIAL #1 Cvr I 1:30 Boom Studios Comics JUN230423 (CA) Montes"
MMPR 30TH ANNV SPE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION HOT ROD JUNKION SCRAPHEAP WRECK GAR SET" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON