This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Till All Are One Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Review #TAAO

Postby Va'al » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:50 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Mobbing Along
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
PANIC ON THE STREETS OF CYBERTRON! As STARSCREAM’S secret police continue on their rampage, IRONHIDE is caught between the BADGLESS and a population looking for retribution!

Yyup

Story

We're back on Cybertron once more, as the second issue of the new Transformers: Till All Are One ongoing series from IDW Publishing hits the stands (be they digital or physical) - and there is little time lost since last month's issue, as the streets boil, the 'law' is questioned, and Starscream looks on, apprehensive.

In his own way

We had already seen Ironhide as being one of the major players in the first issue, but it feels like he's more of an instrument of the new orders trying to establish themselves than anything fully agent - though time will tell on this front. He is charismatic, and his dialogue works better now that emotion runs a little higher, too.

See? Charming

Who really gets the spotlight this time round though, are the Combaticons, with Onslaught and Blastoff in particular hogging all of the spotlight. Mairghread Scott has not only tapped into their 'original' writing, but has given them an extra spin in the new post-colonial, post-war, post-combiner, and the interactions all show their individual voices, in both clash and rapport.

Con-raderie?

While Starscream is a pleasure to read in this new take on his dry approach to life, the weariness and edge to his voice is palpable, and an interesting way to see where it might all go. Add that to the fact that Obsidian is obviously planning things with Elita One, and you got yourself the political intrigue we were (/I was) looking for. More thoughts below.

Art

In how many ways can one Starscream be depicted as bored, despondent, scheming and trying to feign superiority? Sara Pitre-Durocher manages quite a few, with a truly entertaining and impressive array of facial expressions. That, and some really effectively used cinematographic techniques in the more fraught discussion and scenes, create a palpable sense of underlying tension across the whole book - as there should well be.

Mob. Tense

Much like last issue, again, Priscilla Tramontano bring some clean, crisp colouring to the linework, and gives some nice depth to the larger crowd scenes, picking out details where needed, and making the mob more mob-like on the other side of the coin. The glow of the various optics is a nice touch, too, and one I keep going back to admire.

New Instagram Filter - DOWNLOAD NOW

Tom B. Long, despite not having the space to have too much fun with the fonts, does a great job, and my quibbles with last month's issue are nowhere to be found this time. I have also tried showing off the multiple covers in previous stories, with the regular, and powerful Pitre-Durocher Windblade taking the main stage, followed by her collaboration with Thomas Teyowisonte Deer on the ROM variant, and finally, this review's thumbnail variant, by Carlos Valenzuela.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Allow me an excursus: I have some ideological concerns with the direction that some of the story is taking, especially in terms of handling powers and justice systems - trying not to spoil anything here - but am also willing to see how it's employed in the larger picture. The political drama being set up (the multiple stages, even) are promising something fairly big, and I don't just mean another combiner.

While a little slower than the previous issue, this month's TAAO brings the set-up that the new status quo on Cybertron probably needs, from a fictional standpoint, and it does it well; it also manages to sneak in a number of issues that can easily be found in our own reality, and that is where I am really interested in their handling and development, hoping for a critical evaluation of sorts, really. Plus, it all looks So Good.

. :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: ½ out of :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:15 am

I liked this issue but the 4 page prelude was my favorite. It's four pages that explains how GI Joe and MASK are in this universe and its makes complete sense. I read it and said "alright that works for me"
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Did no one else read this it is there just nothing to discuss about it?
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Va'al » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 am

I read it! :P
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Ironhidensh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:20 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
Randomhero wrote:Did no one else read this it is there just nothing to discuss about it?

With revolution coming, I've kinda lost interest in the comics.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Va'al » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:30 am

Ironhidensh wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Did no one else read this it is there just nothing to discuss about it?

With revolution coming, I've kinda lost interest in the comics.

I think that's not ideal right now, there's definitely good stuff happening before the event hits. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I'm still sticking to it until it burns (if it does, that is).

I may have to go update the Revolution thread, actually.. :-?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:24 am

Revolution should not be anyone's reason to stop reading the comics. Like I've said and others have, there is a preview story in TAAO and it's good! It makes sense! Please people! Have faith. This isn't marvel and DC with over a dozen editors that don't follow they're own stuff. It's a small group of people that are communicating and making this work.

People are so worked up about MTMTE getting ruined and James has said so many times "stop worrying, I'm still writing what I always had plans for"
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Sunstar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 am

Motto: "All hail Lord Starscream"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
I can see the sort of world weary of Starscream. I am not sure if it is why the artist seems to draw Starscream with his head frequently tilted to the right - this lends an extremely fatigued sense.

I don't think bumblebee is a hallucination, I am starting to think he is actually there, as a spectre, trying to help Starscream rule their world. I am liking the artwork.

I am curious as to where this comic goes, I almost feel like Starscream is dying.
"We, Decepticons, are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun." - Starscream
"You're one of...those, Never understood why any self respecting Decepticon would choose auto-mobile as his vehicle mode when he could have flight." - Starscream
"For a guy hearing voices of the dead, you've got a pretty insensitive view of Mental Health" - Bumblebee
Starscream's Shrine ~ Fan Art ~Collection~Sunstar's Discord - join today!
Sunstar
Gestalt
News Credits: 38
Alt Mode: Tetra Jet
Strength: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 7

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 am

Sunstar wrote:I can see the sort of world weary of Starscream. I am not sure if it is why the artist seems to draw Starscream with his head frequently tilted to the right - this lends an extremely fatigued sense.

I don't think bumblebee is a hallucination, I am starting to think he is actually there, as a spectre, trying to help Starscream rule their world. I am liking the artwork.

I am curious as to where this comic goes, I almost feel like Starscream is dying.

The head tilt is actually a thing with starscream. He does it a lot in fiction

It's a sign of arrogance
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Sunstar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 am

Yeah, that as it may be, this is not the same. he has life in those pics, he lacks life in the comic. its as if his head is too heavy to hold and he just wants to lay down and die type position. There is no life or power in his drawings. Only just extreme fatigue.
"You're one of...those, Never understood why any self respecting Decepticon would choose auto-mobile as his vehicle mode when he could have flight." - Starscream
"For a guy hearing voices of the dead, you've got a pretty insensitive view of Mental Health" - Bumblebee
Sunstar
Gestalt

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:15 am

Those are just two quick examples I found online. I just typed in starscream in Google and there's examples of him tilting his head. It's a small thing not many notice or discuss. He did it even back in 1986 when he tossed megatron out of astrotrain. He said "how it pains me to do this" and then tilts his head.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Va'al » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:44 am

Sunstar wrote:Yeah, that as it may be, this is not the same. he has life in those pics, he lacks life in the comic. its as if his head is too heavy to hold and he just wants to lay down and die type position. There is no life or power in his drawings. Only just extreme fatigue.

I agree on the fatigue (the whole point of this issue, as I hoped to highlight in the review, was that he's kind of had enough of things - he caught the car, now he's getting bored of it) but I disagree on the lack of life or dynamic art. I think both Sarah Stone and Sara Pitre Durocher have had and are having a lot of fun with the expressive elements of the body language that these characters can have.

Look at him sitting into his place at the Council - look at how weary and tired he looks:

Then compare to his nonchalant pose at the beginning of the issue:

Starscream has always been a favourite for fan art, too, and - on my part - I see the appeal is in the 'aloof', 'not caring', 'bad boy' vibes that his character has brought to the fiction. His power is sleek, subtle and lean, he is not a bulky, strong, imposing Megatron, in that sense.

Randomhero wrote:Those are just two quick examples I found online. I just typed in starscream in Google and there's examples of him tilting his head. It's a small thing not many notice or discuss. He did it even back in 1986 when he tossed megatron out of astrotrain. He said "how it pains me to do this" and then tilts his head.

And I quote this as an example. There is so much art about Starscream tilting, and one panel in particular in issue two captured his character wonderfully, I thought (same tilt and position as first image I just used, but look at the overhaul that comes from the expression change and bold font):

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
One thing to comment on,

This is a complete lie. Screamer's totally hot for Onslaught
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Sunstar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:50 pm

I am not saying its drawn with a lack of life.... HE has a distinct lack of life... its drawn well. Other pics of him shows intensity of life, but he has that sort of intense depression. the art is well done and portrays his exhaustion.
Sunstar
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I loved the Ironhide bits. He is my character to watch for this storyline. Enjoying him being back in the spotlight
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Va'al » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Sunstar wrote:I am not saying its drawn with a lack of life.... HE has a distinct lack of life... its drawn well. Other pics of him shows intensity of life, but he has that sort of intense depression. the art is well done and portrays his exhaustion.

Oooooh, I get you now, sorry! Misread your post. :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Sunstar » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:21 am

Dr Va'al wrote:
Sunstar wrote:I am not saying its drawn with a lack of life.... HE has a distinct lack of life... its drawn well. Other pics of him shows intensity of life, but he has that sort of intense depression. the art is well done and portrays his exhaustion.

Oooooh, I get you now, sorry! Misread your post. :D

sometimes my working can be clunky. Its a side of Starscream we don't usually see.
Sunstar
Gestalt

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
Kurona wrote:One thing to comment on,

This is a complete lie. Screamer's totally hot for Onslaught

I still want Blackarachnia and Starscream to hook up
(he's so not into it, but she is)

Though thinking about it, it would be an interesting plot development if Starscream had to get a Conjunx Endura for political purposes; provided he stays ruler which i hope he does.
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
News Credits: 25
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Speed: 5
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby Kurona » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:08 am

Finally got around to reading this - had to get through ex-RID and Windblade first, but now I've actually caught up on all of them and MTMTE.

I just have one thing to ask... what's the thing everyone was talking about that 'explains' Revolution? I couldn't find anything about that.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:54 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
It was a short story but not all issues had it with some having a preview of ROM instead.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Kurona » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:59 am

Hmmm. Is there anywhere I can read it?
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Randomhero wrote:People are so worked up about MTMTE getting ruined and James has said so many times "stop worrying, I'm still writing what I always had plans for"
That doesn't necessarily makes it a good thing. What if what he planned to write all along is garbage? I hate to say it, but Dying of The Light has been a disappointment so far. Maybe if I'll read it all together it'll come off better, but I expected more from someone who's supposedly the best TF writer in the game right now. After DoTL, I will probably put down MTMTE for a while, at least until it's well into the Revolution story, so I can refresh my view on it and get back to it with renewed enthusiasm. Same with Transformers, even though I think Barber has done better than Roberts.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #3 iTunes Preview

Postby Va'al » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:38 am

A week light on comics from IDW Publishing still brings some Transformers news, in the form of a new iTunes preview for Till All Are One #3 - check out the three pages mirrored below, and come back in a couple of weeks for the full preview/review combo on Seibertron.com!

WINDBLADE TURNS TRAITOR?! With the rise of the COMBATICON threat, STARSCREAM issues an ultimatum to WINDBLADE: do his—or everyone on Cybertron will learn her darkest secrets!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:43 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Prediction: They find Swindle at the same time the combaticons do, and Bruticus is formed on the last page in front of horrified Windblade and Chromia
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Kurona » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:45 am

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:Prediction: They find Swindle at the same time the combaticons do, and Bruticus is formed on the last page in front of horrified Windblade and Chromia

Another prediction: this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkqSl2o8h8
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHADOWHAWK II #1 foil Image Comics 1993 (CA) Valentino 220817A"
SHADOWHAWK II #1 f ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #25 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0823IM382 25B (CA) Keane"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #346 Cvr C virgin Image Comics 2023 0723IM388 346C (CA) Ngu (W) McConville"
SPAWN #346 Cvr C v ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAST SHADOWHAWK #1 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 JUN220010 1B (CA) Valentino"
LAST SHADOWHAWK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #1 Cvr D Image Comics 2021 JUN210030 1D (CA) Murphy 230131D"
KING SPAWN #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #11 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 APR220209 11B (A/CA) Fernandez (W) Lewis"
KING SPAWN #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #347 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0823IM457 347B (W) McConville (CA) Barends"
SPAWN #347 Cvr B I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #348 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0923IM449 348B (W) McConville (CA) Randal"
SPAWN #348 Cvr B I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #29 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 1023IM346 29B (CA) Fernandez (W)McFarlane"
KING SPAWN #29 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #3 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 DEC210329 3B (CA) McFarlane (W) Lewis"
SCORCHED #3 Cvr B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #29 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 1223IM283 29A (CA) Randal"
NEW!
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN SPAWN #1 Cvr T DC Image Comics 2022 AUG228427 1T (CA) McFarlane"
BATMAN SPAWN #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #21 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 APR230238 21B (A/CA) Booth"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN SPAWN #1 One Shot Cvr M 1:50 DC Image Comics 2022 1M OCT223280 (CA) Booth"
BATMAN SPAWN #1 On ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Battle Core Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Leader Dragonstorm Combiner" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON