This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #139 "No Deviations"

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #139 "No Deviations"

Postby megatronus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Welcome to the latest episode of the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast! This episode features your host ScottyP, Megatronus, RodimusConvoy13, xRotorstormx, TigerTrack24, and Counterpunch - listen in as we discuss the latest news, toys, and more.

Episode #139 “No Deviations“ is available directly and in our RSS Feed, and should appear on iTunes and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

The Twincast is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Beast Wars by rewatching the seminal series that rescued the brand. This time, we tackle episodes 6, 7, and 8, in which Terrorsaur goes on a power trip, and Tigatron and Blackarachnia join the cast.

So THAT'S what that's for.

After firmly deciding NOT to discuss the recent Transformers: Deviations comic (ScottyP's thoughts on the mini-series can be found here), we tackle some great listener questions.

On implementing Combiner Wars' and Titan Returns' thematic gimmicks on characters who traditionally never had them, MemphisR56 asks: "Do you feel that this trend is a welcome addition to the transformers toyline (e.g. if it means we'll see some character that otherwise would've been avoided) or that the trend is problematic for any reasons?"

A gimmick only a mother could love?

StuartMaximus asks: "Anyone know what'll come after Titan Wars? so far we've had or getting Combiner Wars & Headmasters? so if this is some sort of Prime Trilogy or something? then what's the last part gonna focus on? Action Masters? Pretenders? or maybe something else?"

We end this segment with Amelie, who asks: "At which point do you feel that over-complexity in order to achieve maximum animation model accuracy hurts a toy? Or (reversely) - are noticeable sacrifices to the robot and alt-mode acceptable if the transformation is good?"

We're calling you out.

Next, the Twincast covers TF51 and the continued Earth-centric storyline (Tigertracks' excellent Seibertron.com review can be found here). How about them humans, eh? Once you hear this topic start, you'll have to jump to the one hour and twenty three minute mark to avoid spoilers for this issue.

Prime said, with his FISTS.

We turn to an what is likely an evolving topic for many collectors: holy grails. It's been quite some time since we checked in with the Twincast to learn what, exactly, dances between the realistic and unlikely, so we get down to business.

Google her at your own risk.

We polish off the episode with bragging rights - with a twist! Each Twincaster must declare their own individual "wild card" theme. Some themes are straightforward, others are out of the box. I guess you'll have to listen in to learn about our most recent acquisitions.

OK, fine. Here's a hint

Don't forget, the show only gets better if you tell us how. Drop us a review on iTunes and be sure to tell us what you love, what you hate, and what you want to hear!

Not on the show to give your take? Probably not, so don't forget to keep the discussion going on the Seibertron.com Energon Pub Forums by simply replying to this post!

Got a question for the Twincast? We take all of them, we just don't take them all seriously! Leave a question in the Ask the Twincast thread and, if it makes the cut, it may get read and answered on the show.
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #139 "No Deviations"

Postby Seibertron » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
megatronus wrote:
Google her at your own risk.

Did someone get Misha finally??????????
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Va'al » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Got to this one much faster than the last one, as I finish off some work.

Good episode all round, and good to see all the listener questions brought in!

As for TF #51, I have a lot of thoughts that I still haven't fully expressed, but overall agree with the comments on exploration of themes vs advancement of plot. Though I do also think that the exploration is going in very interesting directions this time, contrarily to Tigertrack.

I'll keep pondering, and post in the actual thread eventually, before #52 hits!

The caption to the image, by the way, is a perfect encapsulation of the new OP.
OutBarbered.

(I support the Getaway plan for BotCon. I am continuing my Alpha Bravo crusade, personally.)
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Amelie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:55 am

Motto: "I-I'm sorry.. I-I'll be going now.."
Weapon: No Weapon
Good Podcast :) I agreed with the MP-09 point. Hearing about the weaknesses in the knees really put me off buying him in the end as I 'play' around with my figures a lot. I was excited for the figure, but upon hearing about the knees, I didn't bite on him. MP-28 however is definitely going to be mine in a few weeks.

Simplicity is a big reason I still like G1. Optimus Prime is a brick, yes, but the transformation is smooth, almost elegantly simple - it also has that nice "auto transform" feature about how the thighs separate. :)

I'd love to see something along the lines of Micromasters again, too. Same with Pretenders. I can envision a Masterforce like scenario in the comics with Titan-Masters - robots disguised as humans, but turning into the heads of their original forms.
Burn wrote:Let it be known, I murdered Amelie.
Accidentally.

Back from the dead, like some curious zombie amalgam...
Amelie
Godmaster
News Credits: 33
Alt Mode: Unicrons Transformation Cog
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Postby Kibble » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:54 am

Motto: "Life is like a triple-X choose your own adventure..."
Universe Galvatron FTW, MFs! :lol:

On the topic of complexity...I used to really love super complex, puzzle-like transformations. But as my collection has grown to several hundreds of figures and not messing around with any given figure all that often anymore...I can't seem to remember the damn transformations anymore...so I've kind of gone away from the opinion of the harder the better. But I still don't want G1 like simplicity...that's probably a lot of why I grew tired of the figures when I hit my teenage years once upon a time. I think the MP-10 and on figures mostly hit the sweet spot where they're complex, but fairly intuitive. You can figure them out without the instructions and not have major concerns you're going to break something.

Figures that suck transformation-wise, though...BadCube figures. Fiddly, overly complex, and where the schit basically explodes held together by a few hinges, and then twist it around and try to put it back together into whatever mode. They look quite nice, but they're poopy toys.

And the official MP line, the figures are a ton of fun conversion-wise since Kobayashi took over again, but most of them look a bit off. I gotta say, I much preferred the balance Hasui brought.

Combiner Wars deluxe figures are boring. They all largely have the same transformation...and it's not it's not a particularly fun one, IMO. I'd rather transform Universe Galvatron all day...
Kibble
City Commander
News Credits: 3

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:14 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Someone, please sell me your GI Misha. :x :x :x
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Kibble » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Is a figure really a 'grail' if it takes you all of 5 minutes on eBay and a handful of cash to acquire?

Maybe my grail can be Henkei Galvatron... ;)^
Kibble
City Commander

Postby megatronus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Kibble wrote:Is a figure really a 'grail' if it takes you all of 5 minutes on eBay and a handful of cash to acquire?

By all means... Henkei Galvatron can be your grail, though the recent Hasbro Asia/United 3-pack version is way, way nicer. ;)

The grail is less about exclusivity (although that definitely plays a huge part) and more about likelihood of eventual ownership, I think. I am very, very unlikely to own an original G1 Overlord, even though it's within my means and I do want it.
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:05 am

Kibble wrote:Is a figure really a 'grail' if it takes you all of 5 minutes on eBay and a handful of cash to acquire?

I have both eBay and a hand full of cash.

Please direct me to Misha-kun. >:oP
Counterpunch
Podcast Host

Postby Kibble » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:55 am

Counterpunch wrote:

I was posting as I was listening so I hadn't yet gotten to the grail talk to comment on it in my previous post...so that wasn't actually directed at you, if it came off looking that way.

megatronus wrote:The grail is less about exclusivity (although that definitely plays a huge part) and more about likelihood of eventual ownership, I think. I am very, very unlikely to own an original G1 Overlord, even though it's within my means and I do want it.

That it's a so-called 'grail' should mean it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to obtain...far more so than it being expensive. It could be ridiculously cheap or even free if you were beyond lucky enough to happen upon it. Otherwise it's just a luxury item you want but can't afford or choose not to foolishly purchase. As Scotty said, people need to raise their grail standards. But to be fair, I'm probably more interested in the luxury items, myself, than most things I think would qualify as grails. In owning and keeping, I'd rather have, say, ToyWorld Devastator than green Unicron or Lucky Draw movie Prime or whatever...if we're ignoring the fact I could sell the 'grail' items and get a few sets of the TW Devs with the profits.
Last edited by Kibble on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kibble
City Commander

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:15 am

Kibble wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:

I was posting as I was listening so I hadn't yet gotten to the grail talk to comment on it in my previous post...so that wasn't actually directed at you, if it came off looking that way.

No, I'm just trying to get my doll hustle on.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:35 am

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
I realize my grail was kinda lame, but I can't really think of any ultra rare, not easy to find figures that I really want. I mean, I could up the ante and say a MISB case fresh Overlord that's never seen the light of day.

Lately I've been looking far more forward than backward when it comes to Transformers. I'm really excited for Titans Return. There's not much that's already come out that I REALLY want.

Besides Sky Lynx. That guy just won't show up anywhere around me.
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby william-james88 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:09 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Simple question. At the start f the Podcast, you hear an Optimus Prime voice. Is taht Peter Cullen or Jon Bailey?
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4492
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
william-james88 wrote:Simple question. At the start f the Podcast, you hear an Optimus Prime voice. Is taht Peter Cullen or Jon Bailey?

It's Jon.
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby william-james88 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:27 pm

RodimusConvoy13 wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Simple question. At the start f the Podcast, you hear an Optimus Prime voice. Is taht Peter Cullen or Jon Bailey?

It's Jon.

Man he's good.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Tigertrack » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:31 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle

I'm not sure why a grail cannot be something that is limited to you buy money or lack of presence in a local market.

Just because you can sometimes go on eBay and see particular toys and then if you have a lot of money make the purchase, does not mean it is not worthy to be a grail.

Grail-ness is how each individual chooses to see it. Rarity is usually a factor. Most people's grails are never seen on eBay in the condition that they want. Just because there is a market like eBay now where you can make purchases of toys that you would have NEVER seen at a local convention (and still never see it a local convention), or at a local comic, or even import store, doesn't make it less of a grail.

I prefer to seek after something that is attainable, but rare. Even now if I saw my grail of Lucky Draw Car Robots Black Fire Convoy, I would never be able to afford it, unless I found it for the absolute right price. Which if it is was on eBay would mean that I would miss it, because somebody else would have snatched it up.

What is your grail Kibble?
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Kibble » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:50 pm

The term grail comes from holy grail...doesn't matter how much money you have, good luck finding it.

I'm not sure I have a TF grail. I pretty much assume something like that would cost ridiculous money, and I just don't care about any of that crap that bad. If I were winning something, Lucky Draw MP-01 or G1 prototype Unicorn would be kinda cool, but I'd mostly just want whatever was worth the most and sell it to get stuff I'm more interested in...like ToyWorld MP Dev...then customized to be more toon accurate. I just don't think that is a grail though. Expensive...and even fairly rare customized, but give me about a grand and it's not difficult to get your hands on.
Kibble
City Commander

Postby william-james88 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Kibble wrote:The term grail comes from holy grail...doesn't matter how much money you have, good luck finding it.
If I were winning something, Lucky Draw MP-01 or G1 prototype Unicorn would be kinda cool, but I'd mostly just want whatever was worth the most and sell it to get stuff I'm more interested in...like ToyWorld MP Dev...then customized to be more toon accurate.

The whole point of a grail is that it is coveted by the person searching for it, like King Arthur searching for the Holy Grail, which you should know since you seem to know where the term comes from.

If you see a grail as something you can sell just to get things you want more, then that defeats the purpose and is against everything a grail means.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Kibble » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Kinda why I said I don't really have a 'grail'...
Kibble
City Commander

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:51 am

You know...it's not really a debatable issue.

The whole "grail" thing is meant to refer to an object or acquisition that is so far out of reach for whatever reason, that God himself would need to intervene on your behalf.

Price really should be a small factor, because even with a $2000 item, you could always just charge it or sell blood for a few months.

Grail should really be a category beyond simple desires or long term wants.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host

Postby megatronus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Counterpunch wrote:You know...it's not really a debatable issue.

The whole "grail" thing is meant to refer to an object or acquisition that is so far out of reach for whatever reason, that God himself would need to intervene on your behalf.

Price really should be a small factor, because even with a $2000 item, you could always just charge it or sell blood for a few months.

Then I have no grails.

Count me amongst the grail-less.
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby william-james88 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:12 pm

But thats a totality no? By saying that a Grail must be unatainable then there is no such thing as a Grail in the Transformers Hobby when looking at what was released. Thanks to e-bay you can wait for that desired product to show up and pay whatever price is there if price is not an issue. So everyone ends up with no grails and we get right back to where we started. A better queston then would instead be "what do you wish Hasbro did but will never do" like a revisionist G1 alpha Bravo ;) But that is indeed a different question.

A grail is either something specific to each collector or it is the definition you postulated that renders there to be no such answer.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:24 pm

william-james88 wrote:

But thats a totality no? By saying that a Grail must be unatainable then there is no such thing as a Grail in the Transformers Hobby when looking at what was released. Thanks to e-bay you can wait for that desired product to show up and pay whatever price is there if price is not an issue. So everyone ends up with no grails and we get right back to where we started. A better queston then would instead be "what do you wish Hasbro did but will never do" like a revisionist G1 alpha Bravo ;) But that is indeed a different question.

A grail is either something specific to each collector or it is the definition you postulated that renders there to be no such answer.

As I said, it should be all but unattainable.

Without speaking for the others on the show, I think my example of the G.I. Misha figure was a perfect example.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host

Postby william-james88 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Counterpunch wrote:As I said, it should be all but unattainable.

Without speaking for the others on the show, I think my example of the G.I. Misha figure was a perfect example.

But you stated on the podcast that you did find her on e-bay once right? If money wasnt an issue, which is what you claimed earlier, then you would have just bought her when you saw her. And thus she wouldnt qualify as a grail, right? Or am I missing something. Sorry for being so hard on this but I just dont understand the point about this discussion if almost everything brought up will be met with the scrutiny of it adhering to someone's personal definition. How do you judge what is nearly unatainable? Cant ones criteria be different from anothers'?

PS: You can edit all you want, I will never forget [-(
;)

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Kibble » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:21 pm

william-james88 wrote:But you stated on the podcast that you did find her on e-bay once right? If money wasnt an issue, which is what you claimed earlier, then you would have just bought her when you saw her. And thus she wouldnt qualify as a grail, right? Or am I missing something. Sorry for being so hard on this but I just dont understand the point about this discussion if almost everything brought up will be met with the scrutiny of it adhering to someone's personal definition. How do you judge what is nearly unatainable? Cant ones criteria be different from anothers'?

PS: You can edit all you want, I will never forget [-(
;)

I don't think it has to literally be impossible to find to be a 'grail'...but as I've said from the start, it should be very difficult to find (shy of amazing luck) and take more than 5 minutes on ebay to acquire should you have a wad of cash in your hand (or lets say you have to wait a week for the right listing to come up...whatevs, still not hard.)

And I guess I fail to qualify simply expensive figures as grails as I kinda assume anyone that's into collecting TFs and able to afford the internet to spend regular time surfing Seibs.com isn't SOOO financially challenged that they couldn't save up for their supposed wet dream figure after a few months or a year or whatever if they REALLY wanted it that bad. And I don't think there even are (m)any examples of figures that are well over a grand that are easy to find.

Also, nothing wrong with having your most prized item or centerpiece of your collection be something that's not a 'grail'...I just happen to think that term is used way too loosely.
Kibble
City Commander

Next

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon OFFICIAL TRADING CARDS Pack 2011 Hasbro New DOTM"
Transformers Dark ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OFFROAD SKIDS Transformers Revenge the Fallen NEST Global Alliance Legends ROTF"
OFFROAD SKIDS Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GALVATRON Transformers Studio Series 90 Age of Extinction AOE Movie Voyager 2022"
GALVATRON Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Sword Slash DRIFT Transformers Age Extinction Power Attackers AOE 2014 210930A"
Sword Slash DRIFT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Robot Heroes OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Movie Series Revenge Fallen ROTF 211023A"
Robot Heroes OPTIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Revenge Fallen Robot Replicas complete ROTF 2009 210930A"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109R"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS (variant) Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Deluxe complete + more 220802A"
SKIDS (variant) Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NITRO BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe complete DOTM 2011 220420A"
NITRO BUMBLEBEE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DESERT TRACKER RATCHET Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete 2009"
NEW!
DESERT TRACKER RAT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109W"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Target 2009 240109S"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Leader complete + more 2009 240109Q"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AD26 LOCKDOWN Transformers Age Extinction Movie Advanced deluxe Takara AOE"
AD26 LOCKDOWN Tran ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON