This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #52 Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #52 Discussion Thread

Postby Va'al » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:08 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Ready for the start of some freshly minted comics news? The preview below comes from the usual iTunes screenshots, signalling another week of wait for the full comic - but we still get a taster of the big fight that's to come: Tarn vs Megatron. Check it out!

Megatron vs. Tarn Trapped on an isolated world, knowing escape means the death of dozens of innocent organics, and betrayed by their crew mates- Radius, Megatron, and their friends prepare to make their last stand against the Deception Justice Division.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #52 Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:49 am

Well that's something. Color me intrigued

I am hoping something big happened with this issue. It better not be issue three of a bunch of guys standing around in a room again. If so its remain in light all over again.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby MrBlack » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:45 am

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Megatron vs. Tarn Trapped on an isolated world, knowing escape means the death of dozens of innocent organics, and betrayed by their crew mates- Radius, Megatron, and their friends prepare to make their last stand against the Deception Justice Division.

Ah, yes, good old Radius, adventurer of some note on the Lost Light!

I assume they mean Rodimus, or else this is a really obscure joke at Rung's expense.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby DarkEnergon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:52 am

Motto: "You can't harm me while Dark Energon flows through my veins!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Action!!
DarkEnergon
Minibot
Buy from DarkEnergon on eBay
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 4
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:07 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
well now, now we are getting some good action! Poor Ratchet almost gets the scrap beat out of him first go round too :MAXIMAL:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #52 Full Preview

Postby Va'al » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:51 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
One of the longest synopses in the IDW run, leads to one of the more tense fights expected in the More Than Meets the Eye stories. Check out the full preview for issue #52, via Newsarama, and head back to Seibertron.com on Wedensday for our regular review!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #52
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
Megatron vs. Tarn.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The battle we’ve been waiting for since 2012.
One will stand, one will fall… unless they both fall.
Variant Cover by Priscilla Tramontano!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:40 am

Oh Hi Senator Proteus, it's been a while since we last saw you. :-D
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Randomhero » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:09 am

This is why I don't believe it's Roller and its Proteus. Why would Megatron want to prove a point to roller and hurt him? He never met Roller before the war. He'd have nothing to prove or reason to harm him. Same with Dominus. Dominus believed in equality to but to do so without violence. That last page shows that whoever Tarn used to be it was someone Megatron hated and changed to show the what decepticons really stood for.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Blozor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:16 am

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
Randomhero wrote:This is why I don't believe it's Roller and its Proteus. Why would Megatron want to prove a point to roller and hurt him? He never met Roller before the war. He'd have nothing to prove or reason to harm him. Same with Dominus. Dominus believed in equality to but to do so without violence. That last page shows that whoever Tarn used to be it was someone Megatron hated and changed to show the what decepticons really stood for.

He didn't want to hurt the person Tarn is and prove the point to the person Tarn is. He was using whoever Tarn is to hurt and prove the point to someone else. Presumably Optimus. Dominus could also still be on the table because corrupting him into violence could be part of the change that Megatron was talking about. I don't think it was Tarn that Megatron hated at all. Tarn was an opportunity, a tool, to use against someone else Megatron hated. As far as I'm concerned all three options are still on the table, or others. Knowing Roberts it could be someone we're not even thinking of.
Blozor
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Blozor wrote:
Randomhero wrote:This is why I don't believe it's Roller and its Proteus. Why would Megatron want to prove a point to roller and hurt him? He never met Roller before the war. He'd have nothing to prove or reason to harm him. Same with Dominus. Dominus believed in equality to but to do so without violence. That last page shows that whoever Tarn used to be it was someone Megatron hated and changed to show the what decepticons really stood for.

He didn't want to hurt the person Tarn is and prove the point to the person Tarn is. He was using whoever Tarn is to hurt and prove the point to someone else. Presumably Optimus. Dominus could also still be on the table because corrupting him into violence could be part of the change that Megatron was talking about. I don't think it was Tarn that Megatron hated at all. Tarn was an opportunity, a tool, to use against someone else Megatron hated. As far as I'm concerned all three options are still on the table, or others. Knowing Roberts it could be someone we're not even thinking of.

These were my thoughts as well when I read it. Who ever tarn is was important to someone else.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Randomhero » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:14 pm

See I take the line as Megatron hurting the person Tarm was, not hurting someone important to tarn. I take it as he was tortured until he developed a Stockholm syndrome toward the Decepticons. That's why I think it's senator proteus. Proteus is the last person anyone would think because everyone assumes he's dead and him turning into Tarn would be the most ironic twist because he created the Decepticons with his corrupted ideals in the senate.

This is all building to the end of the DJD. There's never been anything in the past 4 years of MTMTEs history that's ever had anything about Megatron wanting to hurt someone to prove a point or convince that his cause was right.

With Proteus, we've had a lot of scenes and conversations about what he was and what his influence has done with what's James has been conveying in MTMTE. He is someone Megatron would want to hurt and someone Megatron would want to prove something to. Especially with the last line on that page of saying "if you could be turned" meaning that Tarn is essentially someone you'd not expect. I wouldn't put a line like that on Roller because Roller was never an actual autobot. He never fought against the Decepticons. Dominus Ambus is someone we know absolutely nothing about. He's a minor character who has no true impact on everyone except rewind and Chromedome. I'm not even counting minimus because they don't even have a relationship. Even minimus says they don't. I think the Dominus story will be its own story, not being shoehorned in a story that's really got no place for him. That's a story that should be its own 5-6 issues which I believe it will be and probably connected to some Knights of Cybertron mythos. Proteus does have an impact on everyone because he is the reason for the whole war.
Last edited by Randomhero on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:26 pm

No, I don't think it's that, though I van see why you think that. Looking at the big picture, Tarn is making it about it but in reality, megs just used him against someone else, and as a symbol of the decepticons.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:29 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:No, I don't think it's that, though I van see why you think that. Looking at the big picture, Tarn is making it about it but in reality, megs just used him against someone else, and as a symbol of the decepticons.

That doesn't sound like IDW Megatron though.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Randomhero wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:No, I don't think it's that, though I van see why you think that. Looking at the big picture, Tarn is making it about it but in reality, megs just used him against someone else, and as a symbol of the decepticons.

I made a grammar mistake with my post, it should be that Tarn is making about himself.

As for IDW megs not doing that? I don't see why he wouldn't, all depending on when he did it

You could still be right, just not for the reasons you put.

As already said, it may be someone we don't know, just to throw us off with all these red herrings.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:08 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

I made a grammar mistake with my post, it should be that Tarn is making about himself.

As for IDW megs not doing that? I don't see why he wouldn't, all depending on when he did it

You could still be right, just not for the reasons you put.

As already said, it may be someone we don't know, just to throw us off with all these red herrings.

I believe Roller is 100% a red herring. People have blasted Roberts with roller being Tarn since Rollers first appearance because he's someone that isn't around anymore and James gave up all those blatant clues in Elegant Chaos. James doesn't do that in his writing unless he's just egging us. He does throw clues in his stuff but they're subtle and un noticed. Like Minimus Ambus. You go back in the first year of MTMTE there were so many hints of ultra Magnus not being ultra Magnus.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ebonyleopard » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Motto: ""Never underestimate the stupid.""
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
In before cat driving car jokes? Is swear, Ravage has always been one of my favorite transformers, but this version of him is by far the tops. I Just wish there were a toy to match his awesomeness.
ebonyleopard
Minibot
News Credits: 4
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Postby Massinissa » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Ebonyleopard wrote:In before cat driving car jokes? Is swear, Ravage has always been one of my favorite transformers, but this version of him is by far the tops. I Just wish there were a toy to match his awesomeness.

I wouldn't go that far, man. I prefer the evil Russian version from Beast wars :KREMZEEK:
Massinissa
Mini-Con

Postby partholon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:07 am

ive been reading MTMTE from the start and for the life of me i couldnt tell you who senator proteous is- such is the impact he made on me.

so if its him itll get a "meh" from me.

the whole point of roller is he portrayed as someone primes named his ship after (skyroller) and has named part of himself after (roller :) ) and him being turned would hurt prime as he's been set up to mean so much to the guy.

with prime pretty much being the only guy megs want to hurt it all adds up.

to be honest at this stage if its not roller i'll feel like its a deliberate jip on james part done for a M night Shalaman twist effect i.e cheap writing.
partholon
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2

Postby Quint » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:30 am

Randomhero wrote:

It does, though; particularly the Megatron we saw in Chaos Theory.

Yes it's - perhaps conspicuously - obvious now, but I actually hope Tarn is Roller. As Partholon said above, if it were anyone else I simply wouldn't give a s**t. A corrupted Roller carries weight, pathos. In fact it's been a pity that we don't know still more about his relationship with Prime. That would be one helluva flashback story, visiting the process of his indoctrination at the hands of Megatron.

However, it seems a bit odd that Tarn's Decepticon body is so much shorter than Roller's.
Quint
Micromaster

Postby That_Guy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:12 am

Weapon: Energon Cutlass
What about this, Roller is truly dead, his body is being rebuilt into what we see now and being used for either Dominus Ambus or Proteous. A part of me wants to think Ambus because Tarn's use of words to destroy someone from within, but Proteous could also have that same gift being a Senator.
That_Guy
Minibot
News Credits: 1
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 3
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Postby DarkEnergon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Motto: "You can't harm me while Dark Energon flows through my veins!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
I just love how these so-called background characters like Kaon can take shape with personality. He's a pretty cool concept as a transformer anyway.

But, sadly, the real reason I keep up with MTMTE is that its One Title with One Storyline and I always know which issue to buy :)
DarkEnergon
Minibot
Buy from DarkEnergon on eBay
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 8
Courage: 4
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
This looks to have some awesome action. Looking forward to writing up the review for this one. It's gonna be interesting!! :MAXIMAL:
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Optimizzy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Motto: "One look at me and you're lost."
Weapon: Requiem Blaster
to prove a point?

...here's to crime :D
I have been into transformers since 1984.
While I love G1 I also love new innovations and takes on the characters.
I prefer official Hasbro releases of stuff for the most part
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese original Transformers media or designs.
It's easier for me to say which are my LEAST favorite toy lines: Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise.
TFCon List: Classics Skywarp, General Optimus, BW Airrazor, Transmetal Tarantulus, Alternity Prime, Fire Convoy
Optimizzy
Headmaster
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

IDW Transformers: #MTMTE #52 Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:01 am

That's Not What Your Eyes Are Saying.....
Spoiler-free

Synopsis

Megatron vs. Tarn

Sounds simple right? The teacher and the student. The master and the apprentice. Having those Star Wars flashbacks yet? Well, Darth Vader has nothing on Issue 52 of More Than Meets The Eye, and that is a fact. But, we may be getting ahead of ourselves here. Let's take a few quick steps back and talk a bit first. Then we can put Lord Vader in his place.

All they’re missing are the Lightsabers

Story

Well, if you are a More Than Meets The Eye fan, and even if you really aren't, this is the issue that should be on the top of your desires list. Things are nowhere near straight forward. Everything has a point, and then when you think you have the point, suddenly another one comes out of nowhere and stabs you in the back. This was a story heavy on the plot, yet heavier on the action, as if that was possible. This issue took things up several levels, from the players involved to the very foundations of the opposing sides. There were things that were expected. There were things that were wished for that finally came true. And yet, there were things that no one could possibly see coming, yet they did. The story has the twists and turns that Roberts is oh so known for pulling off, but this issue does it in far more dramatic fashion than pretty much any other issue.

YES

This issue is what issue 50 should have felt like. Scratch that: this issue is what 50 was meant to bring about, and in that regard this is extraordinarily organized and executed. If you felt that the last year of More Than Meets The Eye was lackluster and felt off, believe me: This thing accelerates that faster than the Millennium Falcon can jump into hyperspace. Megatron, Tarn, Kaon, Ratchet, Drift and Rodimus make for the big 6 of the story and get their good moments.This is more than just physical war; this is also psychological war, and we see how that has affected our characters, and how they will affect our characters.

Art

I follow James Roberts on Twitter and I know so many things about what is to come and what he thinks of both his artists and his fans. For issue 51, he made a point of saying that the art in that issue was supposed to be the creative teams best artwork ever, and it did live up to the hype. But for all that they did in 51, take that and multiply it by several degrees and you get the art in issue 52. The art in here is astounding! If you ever had even the slightest thought that Alex Milne was going off his game, here's a clue: Hell no he's not. The lines are bold, the background setting massively detailed, the very characters themselves beautifully defined in all their states of wear, tear, and care.

And you thought the best eyebrow raises were in Prime didn’t you?

Of course though, this creative team is far from being just Milne. His lines and attention to detail may be the baseline, but Joana Lafuente brings the colors to the front, and she is far and away on the A-team. Probably the biggest moment when she shines? Right as the sun starts setting. Page 7. Page 7 is where she shines her brightest. The light may be dying, but she is in no way dying down, and if anything the fading light only brings her colors farther forward.

I only wish I could I could show you the REST of that panel

And no issue is complete without its lettering. Tom B. Long gets mentioned so much in our many reviews, and he is always worthy of the praise that is sung for his work. Kaon comes to the front as one of the primary 5 characters I can say this story focuses on, and Long does a great bit in bringing that forward. Kaon's passion and fury are always present, and if Milne and Lafuente didn't already make that clear, Long's lettering far and away makes sure his voice is in your face.

Pretty much his natural state when his Pet is in trouble

Thoughts
You are now entering potentially spoiler territory. Enter at own Risk

Actually, we really did. You didn’t see the tears in the wake of issue 40

Alright, now that I can be a little freer in my opinions, I will say this: This is be the best issue of More Than Meets The Eye that we have gotten. People wanted the action, and we got it. Ohhhhhh we got it alright. We didn't have much of that standing around talking and setting up what’s to happen next shenanigans. Nope, we got the action sequences that were meant to be. 13 of the 20 pages involved physical violence, all of which was beautifully executed, and in some ways literally. I can say with confidence and truth that there were 2 main parts to the story involving 2 different characters that I could never have anticipated. Just when you think you are rid of someone, they come back with an explanation that furthers your own storyline yet makes complete sense, and makes things only that much worse.

This issue had 3 main characters so to speak: We has the obvious Tarn and Megatron, but we must also not forget Kaon made for a main character and definitely got his personality that he will forever be known for. Ratchet and Drift, while not making total "main character" status, were definitely very well executed secondary characters, as was Rodimus. We also begin to see the cracks in the armor for some members. Sometimes they are extraordinarily subtle, but take a look and you will see.

As a parting thought, it has been said now that issues 54 and 55 will wrap up Dying of the Light, and that 56 is the epilogue so to speak, with a Titans Return crossover coming soon after. Roberts himself even said that 56 would make for a great series finale, though I'm sure we are far from done here. But no matter. It does not matter if this ends in the 50's, or even if we end up much higher though. This issue is Roberts at his peak, Milne at his peak, Lafuente at her peak, Long at his peak. This is the issue that defines what More Than Meets The Eye is, and I look forward to where this can possibly can go from here. In conclusion: Vader, I think Tarn wears the mask better.

:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INFERNO Transformers Legacy Voyager Beast Wars Predacon 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
INFERNO Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #7 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 JUN210502 7RI (CA) Guidry"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transmetal 2 SCAREM Transformers Beast Wars Basic complete 1999 230609A"
Transmetal 2 SCARE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ASTROTRAIN Transformers G1 Triplechangers complete + instructions 1985 221120A"
ASTROTRAIN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210587 3B (CA) Padilla"
Transformers KING ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MPG-05 SEIZAN Transformers Masterpiece G1 Trainbots Raiden Hasbro 2023 New"
MPG-05 SEIZAN Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TL-58 SILVERBOLT Transformers Legacy United Voyager Beast Wars Takara Tomy New"
NEW!
TL-58 SILVERBOLT T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023 New"
NEW!
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers PRIME DIRECTIVE #1 Vol 1 G1 Autobots Dreamwave Comics 2002 (CA) Lee"
Transformers PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MANTA RAY Transformers Beast Wars McDonalds Happy Meal Fast Food Premium 230609A"
MANTA RAY Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-02 RHINOX + SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2023 New"
BWVS-02 RHINOX + S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CHEETOR Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023 New"
CHEETOR Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Machines Fast Food Premium 2000 230313A"
BLACKARACHNIA Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOOLIGAN Transformers G2 Cyberjets complete Hasbro 1995 240109H"
HOOLIGAN Transform ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON