This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Titans Return Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Titans Return Discussion Thread

Postby Va'al » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:53 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Shuttershock wrote:It'll be interesting to see what they've got cooked up for Sentinel Prime here. While he wasn't explicitly killed in Megatron Origin, I wonder where he's been hiding out all this time.

Aside from Abominus, Sentinel always seemed like the least characterized of the Primes. Not an imperialist tyrant like Nova or a ruler pushed to become a monster like Zeta. I like the idea of the betrayed hard liner we see here, just as long as it's sufficiently different from Galvatron's supremacist barbarism.

Because we definitely need more variety than your standard supremacist thinking. :-P

(I agree, just teasing.)
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Prowl4 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:28 am

Weapon: Ionic Blaster
Happy to see Sentinel Prime return but hard to take the toy is a headmaster.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out when he discovers Optimus Prime and then Megatron (now an Autobot) who put him in the ground.

Kind of a pity in a way that this is squeezed into this event as event story telling hasn't been great but then again IDW as a whole has been on the slip with all of its Transformers titles lately save a few bits here and there in my opinion.
Looking to swap a takara Titan class fortress maximus head for a Hasbro US retail Titan fortress maximus head.

Would alternatively buy a Hasbro US retail fortress maximus head on its own if anyone had one for sale.

PM me.
Prowl4
Banned
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:00 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
How do you know he hasn't become a headmaster in the fiction now? Would that make the toy any better now?
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby 1984forever » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:40 am

Definitely interested in what Sentinel Prime has to say about the mess idw made of Transformers.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Va'al » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:36 am

If it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Dr Va'al wrote:If it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...

Then it's a Maximal with a very poor taste in alt modes.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Va'al » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Kurona wrote:

I didn't know you were on the bill tonight.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Trypticon01 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Shuttershock wrote:It'll be interesting to see what they've got cooked up for Sentinel Prime here. While he wasn't explicitly killed in Megatron Origin, I wonder where he's been hiding out all this time.

Aside from Abominus, Sentinel always seemed like the least characterized of the Primes. Not an imperialist tyrant like Nova or a ruler pushed to become a monster like Zeta. I like the idea of the betrayed hard liner we see here, just as long as it's sufficiently different from Galvatron's supremacist barbarism.

Presumably he did die from his dialogue on the forst page, and he was brought back by the resurrection/deathwave in Dark Cybertron.
Trypticon01
Mini-Con
Watch Trypticon01 on YouTube
Buy from Trypticon01 on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Dr Va'al wrote:
Kurona wrote:

I didn't know you were on the bill tonight.

Oh dear, I think you're both quackers I find both of your jokes falling fowl off the mark.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Trypticon01 wrote:

Presumably he did die from his dialogue on the forst page, and he was brought back by the resurrection/deathwave in Dark Cybertron.

That would make sense as to how he came back
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm not so sure it was because of that event though, I'm betting it is more significantly titan focused, and I would be surprised if the titanmasters aren't brought into it.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
True, but at least there is a plausible explanation that may not involve the titan masters. Though they most likely will be responsible
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Postby Va'al » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:56 am

And finally, our third preview from IDW Publishing sees the one-shot issue co-written by John Barber, Mairghread Scott and James Roberts that starts the Titans Return mini-event in the Transformers comics - check it out in full below, let us know what you think, and expect a review on new comic book day!

Transformers: Titans Return One-shot
Mairghread Scott, James Roberts, John Barber (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a & c)
THE LAST AUTOBOT! Once he ruled CYBERTRON with a brutal (and literal) iron fist... left for dead four million years ago, SENTINEL PRIME is back. But in a world where STARSCREAM rules CYBERTON, OPTIMUS PRIME has invaded Earth, and MEGATRON is an AUTOBOT—SENTINEL doesn’t like what he sees!
FC • 40 pages • $4.99

Bullet points:
The story continues in TRANSFORMERS #56 and MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #56 next month, and expands to TILL ALL ARE ONE this fall!
For the first time ever—Scott, Roberts, and Barber working together on one story!
Plus the powerful noir art of superstar Livio Ramondelli!
After OPTIMUS is hailed; after the LIGHT dies... the next phase of TRANSFORMERS comics starts here!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:06 am

Well there's your explanation, guys - he was a Headmaster all along!
Loving that Acme Comics cover.

Anyone else think this comic takes place before Dying of the Light? The way everyone's talking so casually about being on the ship and not mourning... certain things... the fact Megatron's still saying he's renounced violence; seems to be that way to me. Not saying it DEFINITELY is, but I get that vibe.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby reVelske » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:24 am

The art is great! This is the first time I've seen Livio Ramondelli's art being so clean, clear and crisp. Do we have Livio himself to thank for this or whoever did the colouring?
reVelske
Mini-Con

Postby Randomhero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:41 am

Kurona wrote:Well there's your explanation, guys - he was a Headmaster all along!

Anyone else think this comic takes place before Dying of the Light? The way everyone's talking so casually about being on the ship and not mourning... certain things... the fact Megatron's still saying he's renounced violence; seems to be that way to me. Not saying it DEFINITELY is, but I get that vibe.

I don't think he's always been a headmaster but it's a good explanation to how's he alive.

The MTMTE takes place during the 2 month gap between 49-59...also because it says 3 weeks earlier.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby LE0KING » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Motto: "Even demons run when a good man goes to war."
Weapon: Twin Swords
reVelske wrote:The art is great! This is the first time I've seen Livio Ramondelli's art being so clean, clear and crisp. Do we have Livio himself to thank for this or whoever did the colouring?

I didn't even realize it was Ramondelli! If he keeps this up, I won't hate his work anymore. Then who will I have to complain about?
LE0KING
Vehicon
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Postby ricemazter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
Randomhero wrote:
Kurona wrote:Well there's your explanation, guys - he was a Headmaster all along!

I don't think he's always been a headmaster but it's a good explanation to how's he alive.

The MTMTE takes place during the 2 month gap between 49-59...also because it says 3 weeks earlier.

I'm not so sure. I think this might take place after dying. With the two exhibits, one is a flower from necroworld which means this takes place either after issue 44 or after dying. The second is a little hat thing which is really similar to the one the galactic council admiral is wearing in the preview for issue 55. Unless they had another encounter with the galactic council where they got a free hat, I think this might be after dying. Also, I think three weeks earlier just means three weeks earlier from the real starting point of the titans return issue, which could be anytime for all I know.
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Strength: 4
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9

Postby Randomhero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:53 pm

ricemazter wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

I'm not so sure. I think this might take place after dying. With the two exhibits, one is a flower from necroworld which means this takes place either after issue 44 or after dying. The second is a little hat thing which is really similar to the one the galactic council admiral is wearing in the preview for issue 55. Unless they had another encounter with the galactic council where they got a free hat, I think this might be after dying. Also, I think three weeks earlier just means three weeks earlier from the real starting point of the titans return issue, which could be anytime for all I know.

They got a hat for Rodimus in issue 13 on Hedonia when took a break to drink and sight see, the flower is from the first time they visited the Necroworld.

Sorry I meant #49-50.

Also Megatron is mentioning his new found pacifism. You don't announce your a pacifist, pick up a fusion can again, kill around 100 decepticons then start spouting pacifism again. This takes place before "dying of the light"
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ricemazter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
Randomhero wrote:
ricemazter wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

They got a hat for Rodimus in issue 13 on Hedonia when took a break to drink and sight see, the flower is from the first time they visited the Necroworld.

Sorry I meant #49-50.

Also Megatron is mentioning his new found pacifism. You don't announce your a pacifist, pick up a fusion can again, kill around 100 decepticons then start spouting pacifism again. This takes place before "dying of the light"

Ah, though you gotta admit, that hat is a dead ringer for the admiral's.
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Speed: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9

Postby Randomhero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:37 pm

It's suppose to.

Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby MrBlack » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
The MTMTE bit of the one shot takes place before the Dying of the Light, per the word of god.

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/ ... 2469899265
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Randomhero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:29 pm

MrBlack wrote:The MTMTE bit of the one shot takes place before the Dying of the Light, per the word of god.

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/ ... 2469899265

Thank you! I swear he's said that weeks ago
Randomhero
Gestalt

IDW Titans Return One-Shot Review

Postby Va'al » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:19 am

Head Start
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
THE LAST AUTOBOT! Once he ruled CYBERTRON with a brutal (and literal) iron fist... left for dead four million years ago, SENTINEL PRIME is back. But in a world where STARSCREAM rules CYBERTON, OPTIMUS PRIME has invaded Earth, and MEGATRON is an AUTOBOT—SENTINEL doesn’t like what he sees!

I'll take revenge murder plot for 500, Alex

Story

The last couple of months (years?) have had a lot of change in the world of the Transformers - since Dark Cybertron ended, Dawn of the Autobots and Days of Deception happened, Megatron had several changes of heart, Windblade erupted into the world, Optimus started his journey to True Prick Prime status, Starscream actually still rules Cybertron, and the ex-colonies have returned. Now, imagine you were left for dead when you were a fascistic despot bent on superweapons and conquest. It's bound to mess with your brain, right?

Even tyrants need recaps

The three-author structure is actually well deployed in the book, allowing us a pre-Dying of the Light look at a flashback under movie night banner from (predominantly, one assumes) James Roberts, and avoiding a talking heads part. Which also means Swerve and Whirl get to annoy Megatron for a bit, as Cyclonus lets the true noble purpleness of his heart shine - plus some smile-worthy social commentary. In fact, the whole section has heaps of it.

Cyclobun

The second section has an unfortunate bit of a crossover - though not crucial, the two scenes are more complementary than anything - with the events of The Transformers #55, delayed in its print form to next week, but available on digital, it seems. Looking at the status on Earth after the rise of the Titan, and more Primes than you can can wrap your head around.

The Actual True Primes

Between John Barber and Mairghread Scott, the two heads together prove that they can master the voices of the other, as the third section is also the longest, set on Cybertron with Sentinel doing a lot of stuff. Stuff that shows character in pretty much everyone around him, from Starscream to Ironhide to Windblade, along with establishing him as

Art

Livio Ramondelli is the sole author of the visuals, and - unless you're not a fan of his style in general - he does an excellent job of bringing together a chaotic, hectic, pretty much planet shattering return, even if not of Titanic proportions as such. Between some of the establishing shots, and the lighting games that are being used throughout the book...

Shiny(dome?)

...and the more detailed looks at the characters, their interactions, and even some of the battle scenes, we get another strong performance in the G1-esque direction that Ramondelli's art, colouring and layouts has taken in later months. It works for the big bad bot, it works for the Lost Light cast, it works for Ironhide in particular. It works.

PUNCH IT

Tom B. Long returns to the work he had been doing in books like Autocracy/Primacy/Monstrosity, keeping the fonts more or less simple and clear, but having fun with the sound effects as Sentinel brings on a bit of a rampage wherever he goes or might end up going. And we get some good covers too, in the main Ramondelli one we've seen for a while plus the ROM exclusive, the thumbnailed Priscilla Tramontano encapsulates the story's potential direction, and there's a very fun double cover by Chris Giarrusso for Acme Comics.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The visuals are Ramondelli at its best, as of recent, and it's good to see him in such top shape, and colour, and... The writing, not only of the different characters as pointed out so far, but of Sentinel himself, is very entertaining - as far as a character such as his can be. He will be loved and hated in equal measure, and stands as a dead ringer for certain vocal elements of the fandom at times, too.

Yeah. I said it.

A one-shot that actually does fairly well in bringing together the three coexisting series at the moment, and sets up a stage that doesn't feel to constrained or artificial, with hints in the other books that can be linking bits together for detail-oriented readers, and a callback to a much earlier stage of the IDWverse. This book does good, and it does it well.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Titans Return One-Shot Review

Postby Kurona » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:30 am

Trying to find the comic itself

Dr Va'al wrote:
The Actual True Primes

But considering I've seen what is clearly the best panel I don't think I need to
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STREET ACTION MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Energon complete 2004 Perceptor 230805A"
STREET ACTION MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ARMADA #1 Dreamwave Comics DW 2002 (W) Sarracini (A/CA) Raiz"
Transformers ARMAD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STORM JET Transformers Energon Combat complete Superion Maximus 2004 230427A"
STORM JET Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ARMADA #6 Dreamwave Comics 2002 (W) Furman (A) Lee"
TRANSFORMERS ARMAD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DIRT BOSS Transformers Cybertron deluxe complete + d3h7 key Hasbro 2005 231102A"
DIRT BOSS Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Cybertron SPEED PLANET MAP catalog poster 2005"
Transformers Cyber ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCAVENGER + ROLLBAR Transformers Armada Max-Con complete 2002 231209A"
SCAVENGER + ROLLBA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ASCENTOR Transformers Cybertron Mini-Con complete + instructions 2005 Hasbro"
ASCENTOR Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Warrior Class ENERGON AXE ATTACK OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse 2018 New"
Warrior Class ENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BRIMSTONE Transformers Cybertron deluxe complete + d0h3 key Hasbro 2005 231102A"
BRIMSTONE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JETFIRE Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 230719A"
JETFIRE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RED ALERT Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
RED ALERT Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RED ALERT Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 190518"
RED ALERT Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Prowl Figure" on AMAZON