This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Hasbro Universe - MASK, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby Kurona » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:54 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Sabrblade wrote:
Kurona wrote:... wait, hang on, did I miss something? Why is Thundercracker in his FoC body? That's not even a form he ever got the chance to take in IDW!
He had it in his and Orion Pax's Spotlight issues (but which were set in the past), so yeah it's weird seeing it here.

Oh huh, didn't know that. I just thought it was a new form all the seekers sans Dirge took upon returning to Cybertron a few years back.
I'm gonna guess it's an error due to Skywarp still being in that body.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby Va'al » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:03 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Nik Hero wrote:So why is the Holiday 2015 issue is here. Is there something in that issue that ties in to Revolution that we missed?

They just needed somewhere to slide it in, much like Combiner Hunters and the Distant Stars TPB. ;)
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:47 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Dr Va'al wrote:
Nik Hero wrote:So why is the Holiday 2015 issue is here. Is there something in that issue that ties in to Revolution that we missed?

They just needed somewhere to slide it in, much like Combiner Hunters and the Distant Stars TPB. ;)

I'm glad we're getting it, even if it is a bit random :lol:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
So #1 and the ROM tie in are out. The ROM issue actually occurs first, contrary to the reading order that IDW has been distributing.

I've been following the comics related to this crossover for the past several months. The build up to this has actually been pretty darn good! Micronauts in particular is a very fun read each month. So despite my reservations, I've tried to rebuild some hope back up for this 90s style stunt launch.

You know what though? I thought Revolution 1 was garbage. Without spoiling anything yet, here are a few of the problems. For one, this is a continuity nightmare for Transformers right now. Titans Return comes before, yes? It's not all out yet though, so that's annoying. There are characters in places for reasons unknown. Agh.

There's a ton of GI Joe in it, which was anticipated/makes sense, but honestly? They could be anyone. EDC, the army, hell even the Mounted Police. Just special ops edgelords with guns and unreasonable aggression.

Then there's ROM, showing up oddly overpowered considering the events of his own book. His appeals to reason gone on a whim? OK then. And don't even get me started on thinking about the mental gymnastics required for his enemies to be in the position they are within this story and not further along in the implied plan.

The art is also at times great, at times awful, and at times "lol remember the 90s?"

I think folks that didn't bother trying to keep up with all the lead up will enjoy this more. I think comics/pop culture fans in general (with the exception of one involved franchise) that don't follow Transformers closely might even really like this. But as a Transformers fan that tried to do this the "right way", I feel very disappointed.

December can't come soon enough.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Big Grim » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:44 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
A little damning but to be honest, I've only ordered MASK and Transformers as well as the Revolutions books.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Kurona » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 am

Generally agreeing with Scotty here; but one more thing to add to that - I'm getting really, reaaaaaally sick of the whole humans-hate-transformers-and-they-fight thing. I mean I get why it happens in-universe; durr, of course that's going to happen considering the context. But it's just so dull and uninteresting and engaging and it just feels like some necessary evil to slog through before you can get to anything remotely interesting. It's not fun. All Hail Optimus at least tried to make it a little different and a little more interesting - helped especially by character we'd known for a while like Faireborn and the humans' side having Spike **** Witwicky - but this is just... this is just deplorable. The only different thing that really happens here is that ROM comes in and kills some guys - and as someone who hasn't read ROM #1, this was my first introduction to the character. And according to Scotty, ROM #1 establishes him as the complete opposite to that. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

IDW Revolution Crosover: AMA with John Barber at 12 Pacific + Image of all Christiansen Covers

Postby william-james88 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:21 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
We have a nice IDW Revolution roundup for you today. First of all, John Barber announced on Twitter just now that he will have his first ever Reddit AMA (ask me anything) session. It will be at noon pacific time today (so 3 pm eastern time).
The AMA session will also feature Cullen Bunn, Brandon Easton, Aubrey Aitterson, Chris Ryall, Christos Gage and others.

Also, from Bleeding Cool, we have found a combined image of all the interconnected Ken Christiansen Retailer Incentive covers. They wraparound to create one complete image. We have included a pic of it sideways so you can take it all in easier. These covers include all 5 parts of Revolution plus all the Revolution tie-in one-shots as well, which include M.A.S.K., Rom, Action Man, GI Joe, and Transformers.

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4469
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Big Grim » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
So about 8pm British time. Might have to watch in on this.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
That is a long-ass cover sequence
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby william-james88 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:17 pm

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:That is a long-ass cover sequence

it is but they dont feel that connected. Most are connected only because of the colour in the background. Its a far cry from things like this:

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:39 pm

True, but still
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Tigertrack » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:54 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
After reading recent posts, I feel uncomfortable posting my review. Scotty sums up the book much better than I did.

I think we should just news his post with some pictures of the inconsistent art.

Very well written Scotty. I should just quote your whole post and news it!

;)^
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 9
Skill: 10

Postby ScottyP » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Tigertrack wrote:After reading recent posts, I feel uncomfortable posting my review. Scotty sums up the book much better than I did.

I think we should just news his post with some pictures of the inconsistent art.

Very well written Scotty. I should just quote your whole post and news it!

;)^
Eh, it's me venting an opinion - probably not a fair review! There are well done parts that fall into the "not for me" realm that, from an objective standpoint, would be things that should be pointed out.

Put another way, thanks for the compliment, but eek! That weren't meant to be a review :oops:
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Tigertrack » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:32 pm

It’s the end of September, and THE REVOLUTION has started! The multi-issue, multi-brand crossover has officially begun. IDW does its best to meet big boys MARVEL and DC on the big kids playground, to crossover in a way that they hope is as popular as the big uns’ special events. Will it make the cut? And should you care enough to pick this up?

Back Cover Tease:
Explosions rip across Earth—and all sides blame OPTIMUS PRIME and the TRANSFORMERS! G.I.JOE refuses to go quietly—and they assemble heroes big enough to stop the invaders! ACTION MAN and M.A.S.K. fight for humanity— but where do ROM and the MICRONAUTS stand?

From New York Times-bestselling writers Cullen Bunn and John Barber—and superstar-in-the-making artist Fico Ossio—comes a collision of worlds, a clash of past and future, unlike anything that has come before.

The Revolution is here— take a stand!

As the resident staff Joe guy (who also collects TFs and vice versa) who has also lived through the earliest iterations of these brands in the 70's and 80's, it fell to me to try to make some sense of this newest comic-based crossover. Well actually, Va’al’s on a sabbatical and D-MACK already handled TAAO, so that’s why it really fell to me. And that nobody else wanted to do it.

Forgive me, I write this after a day of teaching 6th grade.

THE STORY:
Like the tease says, events have happened and they are BIG! Like BIG BEN and DUKE (GI JOE guys for you TF only folks) and ORE-13 BIG. Mount Everest going boom BIG! The supposed ‘melting’ of several Joes (whom most people probably don’t know) big. VICTORION and WINDBLADE… okay, I am not sure what to say. It’s a lot of action, mostly centered around TRANSFORMERS and GI JOE. Humans’ anxiety level is at an all time high over KING PRIME declaring Earth to be a part of the galactic council (I actually believe there is a lot of hard feelings over the no tech sharing thing from OP’s previous visit)—and all the negative attention being considered ‘galactically relevant’ might bring with it (like, oh, a Transformers’ war coming to Earth wasn’t bad enough before this? C’mon Optimus…).

MORE:
There’s lots of human armed military parties running around now, and it’s hard to keep caught up with who’s really on top. ROM’s book has military types showing up to make trouble for him in his series, that seem to be directly or indirectly ordered by General Joe Colton of G.I. JOE fame, but don’t seem to be regular GI JOE. The EDC was supposedly re-made into a new more global version, and now it appears that GI JOE, yes the real GI.JOE, is now the go to gang of military types to become government sanctioned, even after being shut down by that same government previously, it seems (I’m not good at keeping up with IDW GI JOE). The weird thing is, those EDC types, who know a lot about TRANSFORMERS are still around too, but it doesn't matter because their advice and intelligence is almost always totally ignored. And by the tease, it looks like even G.I. JOE will get superseded or at best aligned with ACTION MAN and MASK, eventually.
EDC out!

Sadly, MASK does not appear in this issue, except in the same short preview at the end that we have had in several other TRANSFORMERS issues, giving us background info (and showing us Miles Mayhem and a badly dissected Blitzwing), but it becomes pretty obvious how they will become a part of it.

So that’s this issue in a nut shell. Ore-13 is blowing up. TRANSFORMERS are blamed for it. GI JOE is tasked by the very anxious world leading U.S. President to take on the TRANSFORMERS—instead of the before created EDC military group.

VISUALS:
Fico Ossio on the art, colored by Sebastian Cheng, and lettered by the nigh-infamous Tom B. Long, is much better than average. Characters are recognizable as who they should be (if you know some of these obscure JOE folks) and portray their emotions well, although heads and faces are inconsistent; from really nice on MAIN FRAME and BIG BEN profiles and 3/4 shots, to somewhat misshapen, cartoonish, and elongated SCARLETT and JOE COLTON faces and heads on full body action shots, later on. The bots are well-detailed, but the artist shows a little bit of difficulty with them at times, especially in their faces, heads, and ‘ears’, but overall does a commendable, but uneven, job. There are some truly beautiful character portraits in there, but also some that are less than, making you wonder. Finally, the ROM images generally all feel a little off, which might be intentional if a theory I have holds up.

THE GREAT!

THE GOOD!

THE UGLY

UMM...HMMMmm...

The colors and lighting effects are well done, and work well with the line art to create an overall, visually acceptable product. TRANSFORMERS fans have had to deal with (have learned to appreciate) much ‘worse’ (opinion, of course). Tom B. Long does his normal magic with word bubbles, and sound effects, helping to move us through the action and story well.

SLL-SRRRAK!

DIALOGUE:
Character interactions feel pretty natural and help us to better understand their relationships. You can feel the coolness and calm that Optimus Prime is trying very hard to convey. You can hear Scarlett’s frustration and fury, and the military jargon that the JOEs incorporate feels realistic enough (even if the facial expressions and body language sometimes seem a little odd). There are character labels to help all of us identify the JOES, TFs, and others, if we did not already recognize them.

WRITING:
My opinion on human and TRANSFORMERS current status of interaction, as it has been written, has already been made public and sadly, has not changed after seeing this. This is the story that we’ve seen on Earth since the first early issues in Marvel G1. Humans just cannot understand Autobots versus Decepticons, and believe in the ‘all must be bad, if some are’ over generalization. Now, I do understand that you’re going to be upset if you believe the robots are just there to fight, steal, and destroy without any care for the native inhabitants, or if you’re thinking you are being misled by liars. But members of the EDC were starting to get it--to understand factions, and yet somehow their ideas and intelligence are mostly ignored. Grr… revenge!!!
“That one guy killed several of my good buddies way back when…DESTROY ALL OF THEM!”

I do like the idea of DIRE WRAITHs causing a lot of the misunderstandings, for their own ends that we are not entirely sure about. But ROM just showing up and doing what he did, without a word, where as in his own series, he’s been quite the chatty Cathy, making me and probably others believe that some of the events in ROM (this AXIOM dude that started out as a human in armor before ORE 13 was added to make him a superfreak) are most likely meant to drop clues about what may actually be going on here, with the JOES, and several other humans.

Being a little obvious, aren't we...?

I’m interested to see what part MASK plays, and VENOM of course, even if we know where they get the tech.

In different writing decisions, the GI JOE forces seem ready for immediate action even though they had seemed to be decommissioned (I have to re-read to look for time passage), but don’t seem to know anything about their target. They don’t come equipped with any weapons that do more than annoy the Transformers (except Jazz—why, must everyone always pick on Jazz?). How do you not know what kind of equipment and weapons you will need to even get close to winning a battle with them? Just ignore any EDC intel whatsoever. Now, yes, I do know that Soundwave's Operation Incapacitation took out MAINS’ (GI JOE Main Frame- I actually really dislike that nickname - MAINS- ugh), anti-Soundwave fryer, but before that the JOEs weren't really getting anywhere either. And... they don’t know that ‘the pink one’ uses swords??? What exactly have the GI JOE members been doing lately? And who was in charge of the intel for them? Or was this just sort of a run off half-cocked type mission (which is a bit confusing because Main Frame insists he was working on his Soundwave killing device for months using EDC intel—yes, he was paying attention!)?

OVERALL:

I’m interested, but with the few pieces we have along with this issue, I really, really, really hope that this overly lengthy and perhaps somewhat overused humans vs.TRANSFORMERs is resolved quickly and that everyone moves past it to work together against the DIRE WRAITHS and bad MICRONAUTS (Baron Karza, et al— who do not appear in this issue either), or some such thing like that (maybe it’s UNICRON!!!!!…)

The ORE-13 piece is probably the most interesting thing about the series for me so far, other than the official (finally) admittance/re-imagining that MASK vehicles are TRANSFORMERS based (see the DARK OF THE MOON for the first hints that it was coming, I really liked their Stealth Force attack car/alt modes.). Hasn’t been exactly said…yet, but highly hinted at.

Who should try this?

:PACMAN: :GHOST: Casual 80’s childhood guy or gal all grown up: Hell yeah! You’d probably get a kick out of this with Transformers, GI JOE, ROM, ACTION MAN and coming up…Micronauts, and MASK! My childhood hath been brought back alive again! If only VISIONARIES would make an appearance! Ore-13 won't mean anything to you, but you don't need it to.

:BOT: :WRECKERS: IDW Transformers Familiars: You may be a bit more hesitant. 'Our guys' are a focus for sure, but we’re not quite sure how they will come out when this all shakes out, and there was a lot of awesome stuff to like going on before this. They are the elder statesman and most successful comics of the bunch, and readers are not interested in losing the awesome ground that we have gained over recent years. There seem to be inconsistencies with current comic continuity, but not so huge that it can't get cleaned up. AND...we do get this ORE-13 thing to finally seem to finally, finally, shake out in full, so there's that!

:GIJOE: :COBRA: IDW GI JOE Familiars: You may just feel good that GI JOE is coming back, again, but are probably frustrated that GI JOE is coming back, yet again, seemingly rebooted, yet again (I’m not as good and up on my IDW GI JOE). I feel very badly for hardcore JOE fans. I really hope this helps to get them the great fiction that they deserve (and hopefully more of a toy line too).

:SUPERMAN: :MARIO: OTHERS: Tons of action! Aliens, robots, human elite army operatives, and end of the planet Earth peril, plus some cool new sophisticated TECHIE vehicles. Recognizable big name characters. Sounds like a try out to me! It reads like the big boys crossovers so far, with satisfactory art, I'd give it a go.

The race has begun. The journey and the finish are still in question. When the dust settles, let’s hope we all have the pieces to pick up where our favorites left us wanting more.

Generally, I believe that large crossovers are upsetting to most fandoms--or at least wanting to be mostly ignored or believed to be in another continuity. Especially when new directions are promised and ramifications can wreck what one might have been really enjoying in a separate monthly title prior to said crossover. We shall see.

TRANSFORMERS FAN SCORE :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: for this first issue.

Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby Kurona » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:52 pm

It was a good review, but I'd heavily disagree with the assertion that those who aren't familiar with any of these franchises intimately should give this a read. Not because it'd be confusing - it does do a decent job at setting itself up, I must admit - but because this is a terrible, boring, generic story to get people started. Most of my friends aren't into Transformers or G.I. Joe or what have you, but they do know I adore Transformers and more specifically IDW Transformers. If this was the first thing they read they wouldn't have a clue what on earth I see in this series, it's really just a bunch of angry guys shooting things. For people not familiar with IDW's continuity I would much rather give them MTMTE, or even ex-RiD as I'd argue the pre-Dark Cybertron stuff in that is as good as MTMTE. But Revolution? No. Unless there's a massive improvement in the next issue or the issue after that - which, honestly, I am expecting since the humans-hate-robots thing feels more like a necessary evil to get past before the good stuff - this is a terrible way to start out and I honestly think would turn people off. Right now it's not good at all.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby steve2275 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Motto: "it may not get better
but it wont get any worse"
my review
good issue
i come and go more than a hmw programmer
or a karma chameleon
BEAT L.A.
im content
WWWYKI!!!
steve2275
City Commander
Watch steve2275 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 2
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2

Postby ScottyP » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 am

I think that's a well put review, Tigertrack! As a Transformers fan that has followed the comics almost constantly since 2005, this is a tough one to get behind.

I think for new readers and fans of pop-culture or comics in general, it's probably a fun ride and a non-intimidating jumping on point.

Just as a heads up to Transformers fans* - the Micronauts: Revolution one-shot is out next week and, without spoiling anything, you will want to read this issue.

*Disclaimer: There's only a particular segment of TF fan that will appreciate it, but if I say which segment that is it pretty well spoils things!
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby RNSrobot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm happy enough with it, but I'm so beyond tired of exactly you noted: Humans attacking the TFs because ALL ARE BAAAAAAD
RNSrobot
Minibot
Watch RNSrobot on YouTube
Buy from RNSrobot on eBay

Postby Tigertrack » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:57 am

RNSrobot wrote:I'm happy enough with it, but I'm so beyond tired of exactly you noted: Humans attacking the TFs because ALL ARE BAAAAAAD

OH. I'm sick of it too. I think as others mentioned, it's the necessary evil to get the story moving to the next part....finally, I hope, very soon.

Time and the next issues will tell. Micronauts reveal was a moment I think I literally slapped my head and went, "well why didn't I...?" It's cool.

Next week's MASK Revolution is more for Joe type fans, so far, but looks to be a fun series. Of course, if you liked MASK way back then, that's a no-brainier to try.

(Sorry to tease next week, but our comics staff got review copies in advance, nothing given away, more like a some friendly advice...)

Scotty, thanks for the tweet and kindness. Your review hear and others comments helped me to forge the writing into its final form here. Thank you!
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby 1984forever » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I didn't buy this.

And after this review... I have no desire to even read this.

IMO the only good TF/GI Joe crossover was the G1 episode "Only Human".
1984forever
Targetmaster

IDW NYCC 2016 Exclusive Revolution Cover and Press Release

Postby Va'al » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 am

With New York Comic Con 2016 just round the corner, we have a press release directly from IDW Publshing with their exclusive releases for the event - but in terms of Transformers, Revolution is the only related title taking the stage! Nonetheless, check out the variant exclusive cover below. And Rom the Spaceknight.

IDW Publishing Announce NYCC 2016 Exclusives & Debuts
IDW Publishing is heading to New York Comic Con with a ton of exclusives you won’t want to miss! See below for a full list of your convention must-haves.

NYCC EXCLUSIVES

Dirk Gently: Salmon of Doubt #1 Metallic Ink Variant
Cover art by Ilias Kyriazis
$10, Limited to 300 copies
*Cast signing at show!*

Jem and the Holograms #19 NYCC B&W Variant
Cover art by Meredith McLaren
$10, Limited to 250 copies
*Meet Meredith McLaren at the show!*

Revolution #1 NYCC B&W Variant
Cover art by Tradd Moore

ROM: Revolution #1 NYCC Variant
Cover art by Gabriel Rodriguez
*Meet Gabriel Rodriguez at the show!*

Star Trek 50th Anniversary Cover Celebration NYCC Variant
Cover art by JK Woodward
$10, Limited to 200 copies

Star Trek 50th Anniversary Cover Celebration - Triptych Variant Set
Cover art by JK Woodward
$30, Limited to 50 sets, FREE gift with purchase

Wynonna Earp #8 Photo Edition pre-signed by Katherine Barrell
Katherine Barrell Photo Cover
$20, Limited to 300 copies
*Cast signing at show!*

Bloom County TPB Softcover
Cover art by Berkeley Breathed
$18, Limited to 150 copies
*Meet Berkeley Breathed at the show!*

Crazy Is the New Normal *CONVENTION DEBUT*
Cover art by Tom Tomorrow
$20, Limited to 100 copies
*Meet Tom Tomorrow at the show!*

Locke & Key Master Edition V3 HC Convention Variant
Cover art by Gabriel Rodriguez
$50, Limited to 100 copies
*Meet Gabriel Rodriguez at the show!*

Who Killed Kurt Cobain? *CONVENTION DEBUT*
Cover art by Nicolas Otero
$25, Limited to 100 copies
*Meet Nicolas Otero at the show!*

share on Twitter Send IDW Publishing Announce NYCC 2016 Exclusives & Debuts to friends on Facebook Digg Reddit

About IDW
IDW Media Holdings, Inc. (OTC:IDWM) is a fully integrated media company, which includes publishing, games, entertainment, and the San Diego Comic Art Gallery.

IDW Publishing’s comic book and graphic novel catalog includes some of the world’s most popular entertainment brands, including Transformers, My Little Pony, Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, and Disney’s classic characters. At IDW’s core is its commitment to creator-owned comics including 30 Days of Night, Locke & Key, Wormwood, Ragnarök, V-Wars, and Archangel by bestselling sci-fi author William Gibson.

IDW Publishing is also home to the acclaimed and award-winning imprints; Top Shelf, The Library of American Comics, Yoe! Books, and Artist Editions, showcasing the greatest original art ever published in American comic books.

IDW Games’ diverse line-up includes the international phenomenon Machi Koro, as well as hit licensed games such as X-Files, Back to the Future, The Godfather, and TMNT.

IDW Entertainment currently serves as the worldwide distributor of Wynonna Earp airing on the Syfy Channel in the U.S. and is producing BBC America’s Dirk Gently, based the best seller by Douglas Adams starring Elijah Wood and Sam Barnett, and Brooklyn Animal Control for USA Network.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW Publishing Revolution Reviews - The Other Titles, pt. 1

Postby Va'al » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:17 am

The new IDW Publishing cross-franchise event REVOLUTION is not limited to ROM the Spaceknight, the Transformers and G.I. Joe, though the latter two are probably the biggest players so far and the foundation of the setting, and the former was reintroduced into the IDW universe almost explicitly for and due to the event. Other licensed properties are part of the mix, with M.A.S.K., Micronauts and Action Man taking a little slice of the action for themselves too!

This occasional feature on Seibertron.com is a one-off (three-off?) write-up on those other titles that don't fall under the robots categories, so you may go find more comics if you like what you see. The reviews are brief, with an eye to connecting them to the wider story and what readers might enjoy coming from a Transformers perspective, so please keep that in mind. [For an alternate and more systematic look at how Revolution is currently working out, see ScottyP's comics FAQ here!]

With order then...

Micronauts #1-#6, Revolution #1

Cullen Bunn, whom regular comics readers will undoubtedly recognise from several Marvel and other titles, dives deep into the Microverse, reigniting a spark in a very very old and dormant fire that not many may have remembered. However, he does so with such gusto and charm, even in the obnoxiously 80s patina that most of these properties have, that you can't help but chuckle at the interactions and overt cheese of some of the scenes. The Biounits, Acroyears, names - they just made me giggle so much, reading them in 2016. At the same time, Baron Karza is beautifully nuanced as a villain, and actually has a good characterisation through the Revolution book itself.

Bonus: Direct and unexpectedly good link to Cybertronian lore. Ties up with Transformers franchise in general, with things discussed in Titans Return, and with the covers teasing

Malus (but not really): The cheese. The name Shazraella.

M.A.S.K. Revolution #1

As it hasn't had enough time to go anywhere significant, there's not really too much to say about this one-shot comic - if not that it's probably the most played down and yet the most direct in terms of how G.I. Joe and Earth in general are planning to respond to the Cybertronian contingent and the perceived threat that Optimus's annexation of the planet to the Council of Worlds constitutes for, well, us. Written by Brandon Easton, with visuals from Tony Vargas and Jordi Esquin, the book is a crisp if slightly by the numbers origin story of the Kommando at the hands of Miles Mayhem, building to some interesting dynamics with the Joe envoy Scarlett. And then, it just... stops. Which is a shame. (But will start/continue in November as its own series!)

Bonus: Ego trips all over the place.

Malus: Ego trips all over the place.

and ROM the Spaceknight #1-#3, Revolution #1
(takes place in between issues. maybe. possibly. or before.

Currently running through three issues of its new ongoing series, with Chris Ryall and Christos Gage at the helm, the return of the Solstar system guardian had a very promising beginning, with a bit of a plateau after the second issue hit. With a giant team taking control of the art, there are some really sweet spots visually too, but sometimes the story just doesn't hit the right beats enough to hold it all together.

Bonus: The designs (Wraiths and Rom in particular) are fantastic, and the book is the one that will providing the biggest cohesive for the various threads and titles so far, with its planet/universe wide conspiracies.

Malus: May not be one to follow too closely if it doesn't catch you immediately, and it does have a lot of Ryallisms (compare: Onyx), but that may be your thing!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby william-james88 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:35 am

Why are they called mask if what they are wearing is more along the line of helmets?

william-james88
News Staff

Postby o.supreme » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:34 am

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
william-james88 wrote:Why are they called mask if what they are wearing is more along the line of helmets?

Because,

Heroes
Extinguishing
Life's
Medical
Emergencies
Team

just didn't sound good....
Last edited by o.supreme on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 55
Watch o.supreme on YouTube
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Postby ricemazter » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:34 am

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
Is that thing on the ROM cover just a xenomorph?

That thing on the ROM cover is just a xenomorph.
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Strength: 4
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K35 TIGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Voyager Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K35 TIGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LASER OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Legacy United Leader G2 Universe 2024 New"
LASER OPTIMUS PRIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLOUDCOVER Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager G2 Universe Hasbro 2023 New"
CLOUDCOVER Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARMADA STARSCREAM Transformers Legacy Voyager Class Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
ARMADA STARSCREAM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Voyager Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Studio Series 86-09 Animated Movie Voyager 2021 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109R"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEMOLISHOR Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109T"
NEW!
DEMOLISHOR Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Age Extinction Voyager complete AOE Hasbro 2014 221114AB"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEMESIS LEO PRIME Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager Lio Convoy 2023 New"
NEMESIS LEO PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109W"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROAD HAULER Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Voyager Hasbro 2022 New"
ROAD HAULER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DESERT TRACKER RATCHET Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete 2009"
NEW!
DESERT TRACKER RAT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SOLAR STORM GRAPPEL Transformers Reveal Shield Voyager complete 2011 230920A"
NEW!
SOLAR STORM GRAPPE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Sergeant Kup and Flintlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Wreck-Gar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Legion Class Smokescreen Stealth Fighter Figure" on AMAZON