This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Hasbro Universe - MASK, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW The Transformers Revolution #1 (One-Shot) Full Preview

Postby Va'al » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:28 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
The next book to tie in with the IDW Publishing Revolution crossover event is the John Barber/Andrew Griffith The Transformers series, wrapping up (for now) the presence of Cybertronians on Earth - with a good dose of Thundercracker and Buster (plus Bob, DOC, and Marissa Faireborn). Check out the full preview via Comics Alliance below, and head back to Seibertron.com next week for our review!

Transformers: Revolution #1
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a) • Marcelo Matere (c)
THUNDERCRACKER AND BUSTER SAVE THE WORLD! A DECEPTICON who wants to be a screenwriter. A dog who wants to, I don’t know, eat stuff and chase squirrels or whatever dogs want to do. A White House under siege by DIRE WRAITHS. And the phone call that brings them all together.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Till All Are One Revolution #1 (One-Shot) iTunes Preview

Postby Va'al » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:30 am

In other IDW Publishing news, and still in the Revolution event, we follow Windblade to Earth as she joins the other Cybertronians already present, and as the link between Titans, Primes and Microspace is explored in all its tiny but giant ramifications. Check out the iTunes screenshots below!

WINDBLADE ON EARTH! The mysterious link between METROTITAN and MICROSPACE threatens to tear two universes apart, and only WINDBLADE has a chance to heal the Titan… and there she learns a terrifying secret that changes the stakes of the REVOLUTION.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby steve2275 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:43 am

Motto: "it may not get better
but it wont get any worse"
yay for all
i come and go more than a hmw programmer
or a karma chameleon
BEAT L.A.
im content
WWWYKI!!!
steve2275
City Commander
Watch steve2275 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 2
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby Shuttershock » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:32 am

I see Thundercracker has been catching up on his Seinfeld recently. Excellent!
Shuttershock
Gestalt Team Leader
Buy from Shuttershock on eBay

Postby BumbleDouche » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 am

Motto: "The right to think & behave stupidly is a privilege too often abused."
Weapon: Tissue Demolecularization Gun
Shuttershock wrote:I see Thundercracker has been catching up on his Seinfeld recently. Excellent!

I answer the phone the same way when it's obvious who it is & they're (predictably) frantic about "nothing." The reactions are hilarious, but people rarely get the reference.
"Megatron is the proof that tyranny is the finest form of government, under the right tyrant."
BumbleDouche
Vehicon
Alt Mode: Fighter Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Kurona » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:22 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
And so the rest of the preview continues to prove the Thundercracker one-shot is going to be the best thing about this event. Trust him to do so :')

And Windblade's should be fun too. Nice to see an actual Torchbearer not combined. Maybe we can get around to giving them some personality soon?
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3

Postby ricemazter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:03 pm

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
Wait, if the human government is aware that dire wraiths exist doesn't that put ROM out of a job?
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
A good Thundercracker story is always good, and this one looks to be just as cool.

And that artwork for TAAO is interesting
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby Shot Put » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:55 pm

ricemazter wrote:Wait, if the human government is aware that dire wraiths exist doesn't that put ROM out of a job?

It didn't when they found out in the Marvel book. They still have no idea how to tell who's a Dire Wraith and who's not.
Shot Put
Mini-Con

Postby Kurona » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:57 pm

And, uh. Earth is one planet. Apparently they're spread out through the entire universe.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

IDW Revolution Issue #4 Preview

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:58 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
iTunes has provided us with a new preview, this time for Revolution #4! This sneak peak picks off right where #3 ended, and in a special way. With the silent Snake Eyes taking center stage, the whole 3 page preview is done in the "silent" form with only the art speaking for itself, and no speech bubbles to be found. It is unclear if the whole issue will follow this suit. Check out the full preview below.

SILENT INTERLUDE! One human has the skill to break into AUTOBOT CITY—but what is SNAKE EYES going to do when he finds himself face-to-knee with OPTIMUS PRIME? And outside, MILES MAYHEM and the M.A.S.K. team wait to see who walks out alive…

Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby steve2275 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:01 am

Motto: "it may not get better
but it wont get any worse"
looks great
i come and go more than a hmw programmer
or a karma chameleon
BEAT L.A.
im content
WWWYKI!!!
steve2275
City Commander
Watch steve2275 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 2
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2

Postby Kurona » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:46 am

Not entirely sure how much of a fan I am of the... very heavy artistic liberties on Victorion.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:46 am

And poor Jazz still doesn't have a new arm
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 am

So, with regards to the comics that came out this week:

Transformers: good read and a nice send off to the title. Thundercracker remains a great character that I enjoy, and his little animal team was adorable. Wonder where Sunstreaker is though? But combining has made them friends, which is fun for me. the whole Dire Wraith thing felt like it came out of nowhere, but apparently Revolution #4 is supposed to help with that. the fact that so many were in the White House was an issue was well. Plus, that one dude totally had his fingers ripped off, metal. Storytelling did feel a bit rushed and there were lots of jokes, but overall I liked it.

Action Man: I thoroughly liked it. The Iron Giant made the whole comic for me honestly. Plus, we're finally getting around to the point that people are liking Transformers, realizing they are living things, and that Mayhem is slime. Plus, Action man + Kup + Mayday = revolutionaries set up. Spike and Talon felt completely useless in the story though, like they were obligated to be there but there was no effort to make them mean anything. they were just annoying and grumbling.

Both good, both somewhere between a 3 and a 4 out of 5 for me.
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Review of IDW Transformers: Revolution #1 (One-Shot)

Postby Va'al » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Josh Boyfriend Saves the Day
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
THUNDERCRACKER AND BUSTER SAVE THE WORLD! A DECEPTICON who wants to be a screenwriter. A dog who wants to, I don’t know, eat stuff and chase squirrels or whatever dogs want to do. A White House under siege by DIRE WRAITHS. And the phone call that brings them all together.

Featuring: Bob

Story

I am still catching up on schedules and timings, so apologies for the slightly late review again! And, with that out of the way, a word of warning: I have not had the easiest time with this comic or its review. I spoke to other staff members, and took a look around other readers to form a better idea of it. I'm still unsure about some aspects, too. BUT - read on for more!

Buster

The Transformers ongoing dips its toes in the Revolution pool by letting John Barber bring us back to one of the unsung heroes of the series, Thundercracker - and it's definitely the most apt choice that could've been made for the setting and plot: Earth lover, dealing with Earth issues and truths and things that may not be what they seem.

D.O.C.

The device used in the script - using the infamous Josh Boyfriend screenplay as running introspective commentary - is well placed, and nicely executed. Sometimes, however, I felt like some of the action was forced for the sake of a joke or a twist in the words, and it jerked me out of the enjoyment. On the other hand, we also get some very nice Faireborn characterisation, and some good moments with sounboards Buster, DOC, Bob, too.

..and Marissa Faireborn

The plot itself, while obviously not irrelevant, is nothing to write home about, and the book truly is about Thundercracker's place in the conflict, in the story, in the factions, and in relation to the characters around him since we've seen him return in the IDWverse. But for me, sometimes, that doesn't land fantastically. Yet more thoughts below.

Art

It's good to see the other hand responsible for this incarnation of the big blue back in action on the title, and Andrew Griffith brings all of his experience into the visual side of the book, with some great layouts and accompanying presence to the wordings - including some of the human features that I still at times find a little off putting (some of the jawlines, mainly), though never too distracting.

Composition!

A relatively new colour collaborator joins Griffith on the book: Teyowisonte Thomas Deer. We've seen in on covers and in action on Till All Are One, but the style he uses with this linework is more muted, perhaps a little grittier and definitely fitting the Dire Wraiths plot side of the story - and a pleasure to watch, really. Some of the contrasts in palette are top notch.

Fonts!

Lettering wise, we also have a new name: Gilberto Lazcano. And he really does bring it all: the screenplay captions, the Dire Wraith dialogue, the differences in volume and the sound effects are incredible, and incredibly well balanced, something that is very much needed with this type of issue. And of course, we once more have a whole lotta covers, so you can pick and choose, from Matere to Griffith and Lafuente, to Christiansen to Ramondelli (thumbnailed), to Tyndall and Moss, via Coller and Bove.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The script device, while amusing and introspective as I said above, can also lead to some crowded panels, and the visual team are good at making sure they're not over crowded, but still. It got in the way at times, and I kept thinking something was off - though I still cannot figure out what or why (there are definitely some editing issues, that much is true).

This issue, more or less

The dialogue is good, but the words are busy; the art is busy, but it does everything pretty much right; the lettering, the colouring, the layouts are clearer than what the script might create, and the story is impacting the Revolution plot somewhat tangentially, and it leaves a great hook for Thundercracker from here on. So please bear with me as I try placing my finger on what didn't work for me.

. :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: ½ out of :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:37 pm

I loved it personally. Easily the best thing out of Revolution so far - it's funny, it advances the plot, it has characters that are fun and I actually care about, there's none of the trite let's-me-and-you-fight-over-stupid-shit-even-though-we're-obviously-gonna-end-up-allies that has made Revolution such a bad read... this is great. I loved it.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Va'al » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:00 pm

Kurona wrote:I loved it personally. Easily the best thing out of Revolution so far - it's funny, it advances the plot, it has characters that are fun and I actually care about, there's none of the trite let's-me-and-you-fight-over-stupid-shit-even-though-we're-obviously-gonna-end-up-allies that has made Revolution such a bad read... this is great. I loved it.

I know that's what it was, and by all means and reasons I should've loved it too. But I didn't. And I cannot figure out why. :-?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Dr Va'al wrote:
Kurona wrote:I loved it personally. Easily the best thing out of Revolution so far - it's funny, it advances the plot, it has characters that are fun and I actually care about, there's none of the trite let's-me-and-you-fight-over-stupid-shit-even-though-we're-obviously-gonna-end-up-allies that has made Revolution such a bad read... this is great. I loved it.

I know that's what it was, and by all means and reasons I should've loved it too. But I didn't. And I cannot figure out why. :-?

I can certainly see why it'd fall flat for someone too. It has all the ingredients it needed to be great - great characters, great dialogue, great art, great... an okay story for those to play on - but it was kind of... a bit overcooked? I don't mind that because if my fish is a little burnt it's okay, but it's definitely not gonna taste as great as it could have been.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Full Preview of IDW Revolution #4 (of 5)

Postby Va'al » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Coming next week is the fourth part in IDW's multifranchise crossover Revolution, and we have Snake Eyes and what's left of G.I. Joe taking centre stage, and some odd timeline clashing (as the GI Joe one-shot hasn't happened yet) - check out below the full preview for Revolution #4, via Newsarama (kinda), and head back here for review after its release!

Revolution #4 (of 5)
Cullen Bunn & John Barber (w) • Fico Ossio (a) • Tradd Moore (c)
SILENT INTERLUDE! One human has the skill to break into AUTOBOT CITY—but what is SNAKE EYES going to do when he finds himself face-to-knee with OPTIMUS PRIME? And outside, MILES MAYHEM and the M.A.S.K. team wait to see who walks out alive…
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Variant cover by Ken Christiansen, part of a 13-part connected cover!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:08 pm

I really don't like the art that much here. I was ok with it at the beginning but Arcee oh Arcee
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Deadput » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:I really don't like the art that much here. I was ok with it at the beginning but Arcee oh Arcee

Yeah to me Arcee's face looks like an angry man with lick stick here with this art.

I mean I guess she was a man (Thanks Simon Furman) but still.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby BombshellDaBug » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Motto: "Well, that's not good."
Weapon: Acid Spray Gun
Can we just agree that we're all ready for Revolution to be over at this point?
BombshellDaBug
Micromaster
Alt Mode: Beetle
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Kurona » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:21 pm

BombshellDaBug wrote:Can we just agree that we're all ready for Revolution to be over at this point?

Kinda... but at least the upcoming MTMTE and Windblade Revolution one-shots look nice. Soothes the pain.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby CaptainMagic » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:43 pm

I reread the Thundercracker issue again today, and I figured out what's off about it (at least for me). Simply put, Thundercracker and Faireborn are DICKS in this issue. We've definitely seen both of theses characters being rude, sarcastic, and generally pretty antagonistic to everyone around them, but they still usually come across as two of the more genuinely 'good' characters in the series. In this issue, they are too concerned with joking around and being clever, to the point where they both needlessly endanger other people just to set up a joke.

The review mentions that the script spends goes too far out of its way to set up clever moments, but I think it's even worse than that, because the characters are the ones doing that. I don't like TC just because he's funny; I like him because he's pretty much the only Transformer who really cares about people, and it's a shame to see Barber forget that in one of his most important moments in the spotlight.

That being said, I do agree that this is easily the most entertaining thing that Revolution has produced so far, and I do love the cheesy jokes even if they are off-putting.
CaptainMagic
Micromaster

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CYCLONUS + NIGHTSTICK Transformers Legacy Generations Selects Voyager 2022 New"
CYCLONUS + NIGHTST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAGNIFICUS Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2023 New"
MAGNIFICUS Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SERGEANT KUP Transformers Generations Deluxe complete Hasbro 2010 230920A"
SERGEANT KUP Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformer Combiner Wars Generations complete +box Leader 2015 230325A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TREAD BOLT Transformers Universe Voyager complete + instructions 2008 230920A"
TREAD BOLT Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2015 230903A"
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HIGHBROW + XORT Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 231208U"
HIGHBROW + XORT Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR + HYPERFIRE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 230427A"
BLURR + HYPERFIRE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Generations Alt-Modes Series 1 Hasbro 2016"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-GS26 ARTFIRE & NIGHTSTICK Transformers Generations Selects 2021 240402"
NEW!
WFC-GS26 ARTFIRE & ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon RAMP (LEFT HIP) Transformers Titans Return part accs 2017 230817D"
Trypticon RAMP (LE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CYCLONUS + NIGHTSTICK Transformers Classics Universe Deluxe complete 230920A"
CYCLONUS + NIGHTST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #4 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926W"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TWINFERNO +  DABURU Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete 2016 231208I"
TWINFERNO + DABUR ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Air Raid Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION HOT ROD JUNKION SCRAPHEAP WRECK GAR SET" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON