This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Hasbro Universe - MASK, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Hasbro Universe - MASK, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby YoungPrime » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:12 am

..........I hate these Transformer crossovers with books that only have humans. The premise is always the same.

-Heroic Autobots going out of their way to save stupid, ungrateful, humans.

-Decepticons with ongoing connection with humans become big dumb oafs who have turned a new leaf.

OR

-Sunstreaker, Ramjet, Dirge, Blitzwing, SkyWarp and now Astrotrain becoming some uninteresting human Tyrant or boring team of human's new pet weapon's plot, in order to...blah, blah, blah!

I get that it's Earth and you can't rule out humans completely but this was crap that put people off during Costa's era, making RID and MTMTE based on cybertron and outer space a breath of fresh air.

Now they're back on Earth and overdoing it with crossovers with human characters I couldn't care less about killing or picking apart popular Autobots and Decepticons characters I actually do like!
Last edited by YoungPrime on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby Kurona » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
To be fair Sunstorm died on Cybertron. Shame, really.

And while I generally share the same view a lot of the time, I actually feel that RiD/Transformers/OP is handling things in a very interesting way since there are humans who are legitimately in favour of Optimus and the Autobots... and those that do have concerns mostly have them for very good reasons considering both AHM and the sort of person Optimus has become and is becoming.

The biggest problem has been just how forceful the Revolution event was, but I think OP has handled it in the best way so far - essentially just using G.I.Joe as a way to give some identity to the military that inevitably gets involved; and absorbing their own staple human characters (Talon, Spike etc.) into those G.I. Joe ranks along with a couple actually established Joes. It makes it feel less like a forced crossover and more just, "this is what our military interacting with Optimus is like now and you can find out more about them in their own book".

At least it doesn't feel the need to have Jetfire or Stormclash say "Look, guys! We've got the CROWN JEWEL OF THE HASBRO UNIVERSE incoming!"
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Va'al » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Kurona wrote:At least it doesn't feel the need to have Jetfire or Stormclash say "Look, guys! We've got the CROWN JEWEL OF THE HASBRO UNIVERSE incoming!"

Just you wait.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:11 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Va'al wrote:We may not be offering full coverage of the Hasbro Universe over at IDW,
Thankfully we have the IDW Hasbro Wiki to help out with that. ;)^
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Amelie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 am

Motto: "I-I'm sorry.. I-I'll be going now.."
Weapon: No Weapon
I can't say I'm at all happy about the whole Hasbro Universe being one thing. I really have an intense dislike for ROM, M.A.S.K and Micronauts and can't say I'm in love with GI Joe enough to want it in my Transformers, either.

Though I'm of a similar disposition when it comes to a lot of other comic books as well - once things become a cooking pot of several titles it just feels like any suspension of disbelief gets tossed out the window as a merry-go-round of heroes carousel around the story.
Burn wrote:Let it be known, I murdered Amelie.
Accidentally.

Back from the dead, like some curious zombie amalgam...
Amelie
Godmaster
News Credits: 33
Alt Mode: Unicrons Transformation Cog
Strength: 3
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Skill: 10

Postby YoungPrime » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am

Amelie wrote:I can't say I'm at all happy about the whole Hasbro Universe being one thing. I really have an intense dislike for ROM, M.A.S.K and Micronauts and can't say I'm in love with GI Joe enough to want it in my Transformers, either.

Though I'm of a similar disposition when it comes to a lot of other comic books as well - once things become a cooking pot of several titles it just feels like any suspension of disbelief gets tossed out the window as a merry-go-round of heroes carousel around the story.

This!!!!

;)^
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby Va'al » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am

Sabrblade wrote:
Va'al wrote:We may not be offering full coverage of the Hasbro Universe over at IDW,
Thankfully we have the IDW Hasbro Wiki to help out with that. ;)^

You misunderstand. We have a database with everything in it, I just cannot be arsed to review all of it because it really isn't good enough to warrant it.

It's just not worth any effort.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby jogunwarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 pm

I haven't read an IDW GI Joe comic in a long time and this preview reminds me why. Utter garbage.
jogunwarrior
Fuzor

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Well, somehow Astrotrain's head made it back. funny how the head has become the popular thing to find nowadays.

I also agree with the HU stuff. I don't like GI Joe much, have no interest in Micronauts, ROM, or MASK, and they still have Blitzwing, Skywarp, and now Astrotain. lame.
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Kurona » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Well, somehow Astrotrain's head made it back. funny how the head has become the popular thing to find nowadays.

I also agree with the HU stuff. I don't like GI Joe much, have no interest in Micronauts, ROM, or MASK, and they still have Blitzwing, Skywarp, and now Astrotain. lame.

To be fair those three are essentially bit-players.

Oh, sure, they were always on Megatron's main little squad; but they never really got any focus or character. For what it's worth, MASK and GI Joe might as well have gotten Rippersnapper or Slog or G2 Volt.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Kurona wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Well, somehow Astrotrain's head made it back. funny how the head has become the popular thing to find nowadays.

Oh, sure, they were always on Megatron's main little squad; but they never really got any focus or character. For what it's worth, MASK and GI Joe might as well have gotten Rippersnapper or Slog or G2 Volt.

Yeah, but Skywarp was getting a decent background storyline throughout the RiD season 2, Astrotrain is my favorite G1 con, and Blitzwing is still just strung up. I want them back with the Transformers, not in the other stories, because I just don't care for those stories.

I am thoroughly enjoying Revolutionaries though, mainly cause of Action man and Kup
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Intelligence: 9
Courage: 10

Postby Targetmaster Kup » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Motto: ""Whatever it takes, as long as it is moral, legal, and just.""
Weapon: Grenade Launcher
Astrotrain's head? Ok, I'm in. I'll be buying this one.
Find what Transformers; Titans Return, Legends, Combiner Wars, Unite Warriors, Generations, Masterpiece, Universe, Adventure, & RiD 2015 toy action figures are on sale at https://goo.gl/3UaMAu
Targetmaster Kup
Combiner
News Credits: 11
Buy from Targetmaster Kup on eBay
Alt Mode: Spaceship
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10

Postby Microraptor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Motto: "Don't bother praying, I'll kill your god too."
Weapon: Railgun
Could this relate to headmasters in some way?
Shark-lover, dolphin-puncher, Hasbro fan, and all around enigmatic guy.
Microraptor
Combiner
Alt Mode: Bugatti Chiron
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Courage: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Soundwave902 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Motto: "Job specs don't matter, but shanix does"
Weapon: Sonic Disruptor
Microraptor wrote:Could this relate to headmasters in some way?

Most likely relates to the Titan Masters
Soundwave902
Mini-Con
News Credits: 8
Watch Soundwave902 on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronic Jet
Strength: 2
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 5
Firepower: 3
Skill: 4

Postby ebonyleopard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Motto: ""Never underestimate the stupid.""
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
When MASK does a better job GI Joeing than GI JOE.
ebonyleopard
Minibot
News Credits: 4
Strength: 8
Speed: 5
Firepower: 9

Postby Va'al » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 am

Ebonyleopard wrote:When MASK does a better job GI Joeing than GI JOE.

Ha!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby lowman_x » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 am

Motto: "It's all about perspective."
Weapon: High-Energy Particle Beam Rifle
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Yeah, but Skywarp was getting a decent background storyline throughout the RiD season 2, Astrotrain is my favorite G1 con, and Blitzwing is still just strung up. I want them back with the Transformers, not in the other stories, because I just don't care for those stories.

I am thoroughly enjoying Revolutionaries though, mainly cause of Action man and Kup

Wait. They have Skywarp? Who has Skywarp? How and when did they get Skywarp?

So now that's two triple changers gathered by the humans. I wonder if that's coincidence?
"I've got better things to do tonight than die."
lowman_x
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Spacecraft
Speed: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6

Postby Kurona » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:05 am

lowman_x wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Wait. They have Skywarp? Who has Skywarp? How and when did they get Skywarp?

So now that's two triple changers gathered by the humans. I wonder if that's coincidence?

Skywarp turncoated and agreed to help Blackrock escape in one of the last issues of Transformers (before the OP name change) likely because of extreme abuse from Galvatron but not wanting to go over to the Autobots and/or Soundwave. He was secured as an 'asset' of the government and promptly picked up by G.I. Joe where he now cameos shows up occasionally really feels like he's only there and given a couple token panels to give the illusion of a wider universe stars in their book; working with them in exchange for getting his Teleportation power working properly again.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ScottyP » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Should've just named Micronauts "Diaclone" and given them driver suits and some vehicles. I've posted this before, I realize.

On the other hand, I had an epiphany this week that the three TF ongoings really aren't affected by any of the Hasbro stuff right in this immediate moment. If you think the GI Joes in OP prove that, you're either not reading it or don't remember much from exRiD/TF or the Costa run.

Put another way, I understand being put off my their larger marketing approach but if you cut through the hype there's not much to be sour about. I think there's a pretty good balance of stuff leaving other stuff be.

Upset about a character? Understandable, but it's a big world even with just TFs and consider the alternative of them getting out up on a shelf only to get pulled out for a bit role twice a year at best. Skywarp fan that hates his current role? Upset that Kup is pals with Action Man? As a big fan of Grimlock let me play my tiny violin for you. Five issues in five years now? ;_;
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Kurona » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:51 am

Hasbro doesn't really interfere with IDW until the start of a new line - so the starts of Thrilling 30, Combiner Wars and Titans Return were the only times it was visible. Even Bruticus, Sky Reign and Galvatronus don't feel like IDW needed to do it to appease Hasbro, but just something they wanted to do and saw the opportunity for.

Sometimes it works out happily. Thrilling 30 worked out almost perfectly; the whole point of the story at the time was that so many characters were returning to Cybertron and there'd be new main characters to deal with. Thrilling 30 essentially just told them which characters those were - and even better, this was easily one of the most diverse lines in years as it drew on all different areas of the franchise. Even other things like Starscream looking like Armada Starscream worked out because it's friggin' Starscream, of course the narcissistic **** would get a new body as soon as he's crowned king.

... and then, sometimes, it's Combiner Wars. But I've rambled on enough for one post; I'm not sure I need to explain why what happened with Devastator and Prowl was not a smooth transition and clearly wouldn't have happened if not for the toys.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

IDW Hasbro Universe - Preview for GI Joe #4 (#TCJHU)

Postby Va'al » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:29 am

If you've been following promotional material, you'll know that The Crown Jewel of the Hasbro Universe is due for another issue this week, as IDW Publishing releases issue #4 of G.I. Joe - now featuring extra Skywarp! Check out below a full sparkling preview, and let us know if you're reading the series what you think of it so far.

G.I. JOE #4
Aubrey Sitterson (w) • Giannis Milonogiannis (a) • Aaron Conley (c)
Outnumbered and outgunned, the G.I. Joe field team hits the road with a captive and ranting Crystal Ball, but the Dreadnoks are hot on their heels! Meanwhile, Lady Jaye & Gung-Ho, with their cover blown, struggle to fight their way out of Athens. And a terrifying new threat rears its head in the Crown Jewel of the Hasbro Universe! From the explosive creative team of Aubrey Sitterson (Street Fighter x G.I. Joe) and Giannis Milonogiannis (Prophet).
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points: 
Variant cover by Ben Marra!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby dragons » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:40 am

Go joe news on transformers site did I miss something this would usually appear on hisstank not seibertron
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Kurona » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 am

dragons wrote:Go joe news on transformers site did I miss something this would usually appear on hisstank not seibertron

Simple - Skywarp's in it.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Big Grim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:57 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Surely we gotta have news on "The Crown Jewel of the Hasbro Universe" right? I mean, you see G.I. Joe stuff everywhere, right?

It's gotta be the least supported Hasbro product they have. "Crown Jewel" indeed. :HEADHURTS:

The real jewels are the 10 year running comics line. You know, the ones with an award winning comic book? No? Silly me.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby ScottyP » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
dragons wrote:Go joe news on transformers site did I miss something this would usually appear on hisstank not seibertron
Because Skywarp is literally a Joe. You indeed missed the following, I suppose -

The Transformers comics are now canonically taking place in the same universe as the following Hasbro franchises: G.I. Joe, Rom, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Action Man, Jem and The Holograms (The Misfits too by association), and they've hinted strongly at Visionaries and Inhumanoids joining the party by year's end.

Oh and TF: Hearts of Steel is somehow involved too.

It's a brave new world. Some of the books are good, some are terrible, but if they can get this scheduling backlog sorted it may just ramp up into one hell of a ride.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINDSET Transformers Generations Reveal Shield Deluxe complete 2011 230920A"
MINDSET Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ASTROTRAIN + DARKMOON Transformers Titans Return Voyager complete 2016 231208M"
ASTROTRAIN + DARKM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2015 230903A"
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DK-3 BREAKER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2022 New"
DK-3 BREAKER Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR + HYPERFIRE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 231208V"
BLURR + HYPERFIRE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2016 230903A"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926U"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon WING (RIGHT SHOULDER) Transformers Titans Return part accs 230817F"
Trypticon WING (RI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-GS23 DEEP COVER Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-GS23 DEEP COVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Classics Deluxe complete Hasbro 2006 230809A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TURBO TRACKS Transformers Generations Reveal Shield Deluxe complete 2010 230809A"
TURBO TRACKS Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CYCLONUS + NIGHTSTICK Transformers Legacy Generations Selects Voyager 2022 New"
CYCLONUS + NIGHTST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon RAMP (RIGHT HIP) Transformers Titans Return part accs 2017 230817E"
Trypticon RAMP (RI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HARDHEAD + FUROS Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete + more 2016 231208X"
HARDHEAD + FUROS T ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Trailbreaker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Vorath and Mindwipe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON