This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans at SDCC 2016

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans at SDCC 2016

Postby ScottyP » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Through a press release from IDW Publishing, as well as the SDCC 2016 panel this afternoon IDW and Hasbro: The Revolution is Now, we've gained our first glimpses into the world of Transformers comics after the Revolution crossover event. The Transformers related points from IDW's press release follow shortly below, but please be forewarned that reading this information may (and almost definitely will for some readers) spoil currently running story arcs in both The Transformers and More Than Meets The Eye!

The Revolution ripple effect continues to shake things up as IDW’s Transformers line will see some changes with the introduction of two new ongoing titles: Transformers: Lost Light and the first-ever ongoing Optimus Prime series.

Transformers: Lost Light will continue the fan-favorite adventures told by More Than Meets the Eye writer James Roberts, joined on art by Jack Lawrence (Doctor Who Adventures). Beginning in December, this new series will take Rodimus and the crew of the starship Lost Light into the farthest reaches of the universe, searching for the long-lost Knights of Cybertron.

Next, John Barber, who recently exited his post as IDW’s Hasbro Group Editor, won’t be straying too far from his IDW roots as he tackles Optimus Prime, the first solo series to star the eponymous Autobot. John will be joined by artist Kei Zama (Scarlett Witch). Optimus Prime has declared Earth to be under his protection—and this November, he’ll have to face the consequences.

All those titles will join the currently running Transformers: Till All Are One, Micronauts, and upcoming ROM, which will each continue on, their storylines now converging with this newly established universe as their backdrop.

You can also check out our gallery from the IDW and Hasbro: The Revolution is Now panel featuring cover images and more from both Revolution and the re-titled ongoing Transformers comics series.

Other news and notes from this afternoon's panel include:
  • The Transformers: Revolution crossover comic will feature Thundercracker and Buster saving the White House
  • Til All Are One: Revolution to primarily crossover with Micronauts
  • More Than Meets the Eye: Revolution will be co-written by both James Roberts and Nick Roche, reuniting the Last Stand of the Wreckers creative team for the first time since that series. The book will also feature Alex Milne on art.
  • Speaking of Alex Milne, he will be still be handling art duties on Transformers: Lost Light for 'alternating' story arcs (in other words, fans of the book's look need not fear!)
  • Transformers: Lost Light is essentially More Than Meets The Eye Season 3 with a name change.
  • John Barber hinted we may see a certain major villain make a trip to Earth.

Be sure to keep it here for all of our San Diego Comic Con 2016 coverage throughout the weekend, and let your fellow fans know your thoughts about this latest comic news by replying to this post.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Re: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans at SDCC 2016

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Well now, that is interesting...

I like the MTMTE name change, though it will bring to a close the pronunciation game...

Optimus Prime series? Huh.

New artists? Ok, we'll see.

I guess the Lost Light goes back for the crew? Otherwise, that section is misleading.

Overall, some stuff to look at
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:26 pm

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:Well now, that is interesting...

I like the MTMTE name change, though it will bring to a close the pronunciation game...

Optimus Prime series? Huh.

New artists? Ok, we'll see.

I guess the Lost Light goes back for the crew? Otherwise, that section is misleading.

Overall, some stuff to look at

I was thinking about that tonight and remember the captain of the Galactic Alliance tell his lieutenant to tell Getaway he made no such promise as to not harm anyone. Now that we know that the mutineers didn't know about the DJD it seems fitting that they must be showing up to save the day. Maybe.

The name change makes sense, since RID lost its name it just felt weird for MTMTE to keep its name but I know it was to differentiate the books. Can't call them both transformers.

Optimus series seems very promising especially with John running it.

New artists could mean Sakamotot might be coming on full time to that series or trade off arcs with Alex
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:44 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"

What's with Rodimus' new paint job and where's Megatron? At least the art looks very nice and similar. (see here for a better image: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/21/ ... comic-con/)

Overall, I'm pretty good with stuff post Revolution. I'm looking forward to it. and I agree: I really think the Lost Light shall return for the crew.
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:12 pm

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:Image

What's with Rodimus' new paint job and where's Megatron? At least the art looks very nice and similar. (see here for a better image: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/21/ ... comic-con/)

Overall, I'm pretty good with stuff post Revolution. I'm looking forward to it. and I agree: I really think the Lost Light shall return for the crew.

It's just those 4 members on that promo. I' don't think we have anything to worry about...-stares out in the window with a despair look on my face-

CRYO-RODIMUS!
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:15 pm

I don't know where Rodimus got those colors, but i like them
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:22 pm

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:I don't know where Rodimus got those colors, but i like them

So apparently Alex Milne just found out he's not gonna be the primary artist on Lost Light. He found out on Twitter... AWKWARD!
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Randomhero wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:I don't know where Rodimus got those colors, but i like them

So apparently Alex Milne just found out he's not gonna be the primary artist on Lost Light. He found out on Twitter... AWKWARD!

Well now... that is gonna have some major butthurt there...
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:34 pm

Yeah, he said he's pretty disappointed but also said the delays were all his fault so he's not too upset but man I would be especially if you find about your job kinda just went part time.

Also nothing is mentioned about not-RID. Is it getting replaced with the Optimus ongoing?
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 pm

I read Twitter when I climb in bed, and I had to get back out to say this:

Holy cows people. The amount of hate and disgust spewing out on Twitter right now over Milne going part time and him not even knowing. Even Roberts didn't know Milne didn't know. Geez louise. But at least this wasn't a fault between the 2 but instead a fault somewhere up the ladder, but still a bad situation. Enough so they said night and we'll try this again tomorrow.

And yes, it looks like Optimus is replacing the current ongoing. And I like that we are getting new names for the series.
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Shot Put » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:16 pm

Milne has said that he knew another artist would be joining him, he just didn't know he wouldn't be doing the first issue (as he wanted to).
Shot Put
Mini-Con

Postby Rodimus Prime » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:44 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
The Lost light series seems intriguing. The rest? Pass. I would have been more likely to read a series about the adventures of Orion Pax. I also like Rodimus's new paint job, and it seems he's back in charge all alone.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 am

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:I read Twitter when I climb in bed, and I had to get back out to say this:

Holy cows people. The amount of hate and disgust spewing out on Twitter right now over Milne going part time and him not even knowing. Even Roberts didn't know Milne didn't know. Geez louise. But at least this wasn't a fault between the 2 but instead a fault somewhere up the ladder, but still a bad situation. Enough so they said night and we'll try this again tomorrow.

And yes, it looks like Optimus is replacing the current ongoing. And I like that we are getting new names for the series.

Yeah people are screaming boycott over this. Remember the last time that happened? It's when Sakamoto came on to do that DJD issue. One month later it was forgotten and now everyone is ranting for more of him.

The new artist style looks good. That's the thing about MTMTE, they find artists that can blend with Alex's art because they know how strong his following is.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Kurona » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:40 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Name change is good with me for a couple reasons. First... it finally gives MTMTE a unique name. Most of us have known MTMTE and identified it as this comic series the past few years, but there's so many things called MTMTE from opening episodes to comic issues to random adverts and toylines. Nothing else is called Lost Light unless I'm forgetting about something really obscure.
Second, Roberts actually said on Twitter it wasn't an easy decision. Guess he was attached to the MTMTE name too.

Also, jeez; being told over twitter you've not got this job... that's painful. And a shame because Milne's artwork was perfect for MTMTE; it was expressive, vibrant, colourful, emotional; but not to the extent of a cartoon - it still felt mature. It's the best art I've ever seen for a Transformers comic.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 am

Not sure how I feel about Unicron possibly showing up. Hopefully that's an error but IDW has avoided him and Primus being real for 11 going on 12 years now. Maybe it's time. Reason I'm hesitant is just due to IDW being very open minded with the idea that God and the devil may or may not exist especially with MTMTEs entire over all plot being about proving that a god like mythical groups existing or not.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Kurona » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 am

Randomhero wrote:Not sure how I feel about Unicron possibly showing up. Hopefully that's an error but IDW has avoided him and Primus being real for 11 going on 12 years now. Maybe it's time. Reason I'm hesitant is just due to IDW being very open minded with the idea that God and the devil may or may not exist especially with MTMTEs entire over all plot being about proving that a god like mythical groups existing or not.

I have to agree with that.
Then again, IDW has been hinting at Unicron for a little bit now. Bludgeon and Jhiaxus saying "true chaos is coming"; Cyclonus being cut off from mentioning his name in the myth; those theories of Rung being the T-cog or otherwise significant part of Unicron...
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Kurona » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:58 am

ScottyP wrote:[*]The Transformers: Revolution crossover comic will feature Thundercracker and Buster saving the White House

Okay I'm ready for this event comic now
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Big Grim » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:15 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
This all just makes me curious as to how the series is gonna go. Plus I like the name change to Lost Light. That's pretty cool! But...where's Megatron? I really like how the character has evolved. I LIKE Autobot Megatron!
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:42 am

Kurona wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Not sure how I feel about Unicron possibly showing up. Hopefully that's an error but IDW has avoided him and Primus being real for 11 going on 12 years now. Maybe it's time. Reason I'm hesitant is just due to IDW being very open minded with the idea that God and the devil may or may not exist especially with MTMTEs entire over all plot being about proving that a god like mythical groups existing or not.

I have to agree with that.
Then again, IDW has been hinting at Unicron for a little bit now. Bludgeon and Jhiaxus saying "true chaos is coming"; Cyclonus being cut off from mentioning his name in the myth; those theories of Rung being the T-cog or otherwise significant part of Unicron...

Oh those Rung theories are nonsense. The Bludgeon and Jhiaxus thing, yeah I totally see that but that was always something that I've always thought was the original plans pre-dark Cyberton. If you go back a re-read Syndromica it's so obvious that John had other plans with Jhiaxus and Shockwave but the decision for Dark Cybertron had to change things. Why was the planet going red and the ground getting sucked up? Whatever happened to the time remote that was so important in part 2? Optimus still has that thing and I was certain that was going to be a key piece to stopping shockwave and it just didn't happen. It was forgotten. There's was some heavy stuff coming and it seems like the bulk of that stuff was retrofitted into DC but there's still a lot of stuff that could be used to bring Unicron and Primus in.

I'm just enjoying a transformers universe without proof of God. It's grounds it and makes it so similar to our own. They spent so much time and effort creating their own version of The Thirteen and making them just powerful transformers instead of children of God. It feels so weird. Not a back peddle but that the only term that I can think of.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:51 am

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Interesting color scheme for Rodimus. I hope those are not mourning colors for a pair of bots that have that color scheme...

Between the title change and the preview of #55, there is certainly a possibility of the Lost Light returning. Although, given the scene is #50 of Getaway using the time portal to look back on the crew, perhaps the ship arrives too late, and Team Rodimus has moved on by that point. The title could be a reference to Team Rodimus' goal: Finding the Lost Light. It seems fairly certain that the group is going to find out some really unsavory things about the Knights, and they may be trying to stop the mutineers from finding the Knights and causing more trouble. Besides, I can't see the mutineers every allowing Megatron back on the ship, so unless he dies or isn't in season 3, I don't see how he's allowed back on the Lost Light.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:51 am

Big Grim wrote:This all just makes me curious as to how the series is gonna go. Plus I like the name change to Lost Light. That's pretty cool! But...where's Megatron? I really like how the character has evolved. I LIKE Autobot Megatron!

I feel the same Big Grim, as does Kurona. We ended up having a nice splurge about Autobot Megatron is the issue 55 thread. And considering how pivotal he is now and the fact that I among some others really like him, I really hope they don't discard him. I like what he is and how he got there, I don't really want another twist in his story.

As for Unicron, I've actually been waiting for Scotty to go and say something about that. I mean, the excitement level he has for any sort of planetary eater references has been awesome, and still no thoughts on this.

And I wonder if they will name the titan Optimus raised as he seems pivotal to Revolution, autobot city, and beyond
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:31 am

MrBlack wrote:Interesting color scheme for Rodimus. I hope those are not mourning colors for a pair of bots that have that color scheme...

Between the title change and the preview of #55, there is certainly a possibility of the Lost Light returning. Although, given the scene is #50 of Getaway using the time portal to look back on the crew, perhaps the ship arrives too late, and Team Rodimus has moved on by that point. The title could be a reference to Team Rodimus' goal: Finding the Lost Light. It seems fairly certain that the group is going to find out some really unsavory things about the Knights, and they may be trying to stop the mutineers from finding the Knights and causing more trouble. Besides, I can't see the mutineers every allowing Megatron back on the ship, so unless he dies or isn't in season 3, I don't see how he's allowed back on the Lost Light.

For all we know getaway felt guilty 20 minutes later and went down and visited that scene.

It really depends on how the final issue goes. It's also entirely possible that the lost light doesn't come back and team Rodimus goes on their own journey. Megatron won't die or disappear though. It's Megatron after all and the reception MTMTE has gotten about him. Yeah he's gonna be fine.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ScottyP » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
Maybe they've avoided it directly but since 2012 (debatably earlier) they've been building this up, at least on the Primus end of things. Would be odd to never get resolution of any sort on that, even if only partial.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 am

ScottyP wrote:
Maybe they've avoided it directly but since 2012 (debatably earlier) they've been building this up, at least on the Primus end of things. Would be odd to never get resolution of any sort on that, even if only partial.

Well back at the start when it was all Simon Furmans baby he was very vocal on Unicron and Primus not existing in IDW. He didn't even want their names being mentioned. Remember we had just finished the Unicron Trilogy and I think everyone as pretty much done with Unicron. That's why we got names like primacron in Stormbringer and stuff like that. I think the first mention on Primus was in All Hail Megatron and then nothing really, name was just used in passing. Wasn't till 2012 with the Anuals that we finally heard what some of the religious believe for transformers are.

I've always enjoyed the idea that IDW has set so far. It's like our own. We don't know where we come from, it's all either science or beleifs. I've never been a fan of Unicron because he is the end all and biggest threat ever. Once he's done nothing tops that and to introduce the idea that a primus is real also puts some great characters in their place. Characters like a ratchet and Jetfire. Jetfire for once is not an idiot with his atheism. Dreamwave Jetfire is prossibly the stupidest character ever because he doesn't in God yet God is his planet. He even saw him once but just says "NOPE NOPE NOPE THATS A WHOLE LOT OF NOPE!"
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Kurona » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:09 am

Randomhero wrote:I've never been a fan of Unicron because he is the end all and biggest threat ever. Once he's done nothing tops that

To be fair, I think Shockwave ending space and time tops that.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #2 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 2A GI JOE 1123IM272 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #2 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 5th ptg Image Comics 2024 1023IM893 (CA) Lindsay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 5th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 2D 1223IM262 (CA) ACO"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0923IM465 6B (CA) Ward (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TALES OF GI JOE #3 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Hall (W) Hama (A) Trimpe 220721A"
TALES OF GI JOE #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 4A GI JOE 0124IM247 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 3A 0124IM238 (CA) Milana + Leoni"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 0224IM320 8A (A/CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 2nd ptg Cvr B Image Comics 2023 APR239178 (CA) Marz (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Saturday Morning Adv #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 FEB220414 3RI Meugniot"
GI JOE Saturday Mo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero YO JOE #1 IDW Comics 2022 DEC210518 (CA) Maine"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #281 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 210518B 281RI (CA)Maloney"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 MAR238214 1B (CA) Young (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr A Bitterness Image Comics 2023 1023IM898 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Liege Maximo Prime Master" on AMAZON