This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #56 Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #56 Discussion Thread

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:51 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Newsarama has now uploaded the full preview for More Than Meets The Eye 56, the first of the 2 Titans Return crossover starring Fortress Maximus, Red Alert, and the Luna 1 Crew! Be warned that this preview includes a flashback to Red Alert's attempted suicide attempt from issue 9. Check out the full preview below, and stay tuned next Wednesday for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #56
James Roberts (w) * Priscilla Tramontano (a & c) TITANS RETURN! On Luna 1, nothing ever happens-and as far as FORTRESS MAXIMUS and RED ALERT are concerned, nothing ever will. After all, who else could possibly be interested in the Luna 1's birthing field and its graveyard full of dead Titans?
FC * 32 pages * $3.99
Bullet points:
* You've never seen a TRANSFORMERS crossover like this before!
* Ties directly in to this month's TRANSFORMERS!
* Sets the stage for next month's REVOLUTION!
* Variant cover by Ken Christiansen!

I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: IDW More Than Meets The Eye #56 Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Ya know I was starting to be convinced thatfort max might eventually get reengineered as a Titan with Prowls help but after reading this I don't think that's going to happen. IDWs really doing its own version with very little tie in to the toys because they're not packed with toys this time so it really feels like "hey here's our version and there's max and cerebros and there's some Dead Titans" after all this is a 5 issue story and that's it.

Not complaining in the slightest, I'm all for this, there seems to be a lot of interesting stuff going on on Luna one however I do wish a bigger deal would be made that Luna One now has a working space bridge and its in contact with Cybertron. THIS IS LUNA ONE! There have been quest for it! It was thought to be a myth for so long by some and instead it's "oh hey, Luna one is real and Fortress Maximus is running it now. So what else is new?"
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:01 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Who knows how this will turn out. But it looks to be a good story and a good way to wrap up the MTMTE title.

Plus, we finally see Red's alternate form and "Red" vision like we did "Magnus" vision
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Autobot N » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 am

Motto: "Fate rarely calls upon us at our moment of choosing."
Weapon: Electro-Sword
You might want to remove the "The Story So Far" page. That's a pretty big spoiler.
Check out my collection thread!
Autobot N
City Commander
News Credits: 42
Alt Mode: Police Motorcycle
Strength: 6
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Va'al » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:46 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Autobot N wrote:You might want to remove the "The Story So Far" page. That's a pretty big spoiler.

The entire issue is a spoiler for things that happen in Transformers #56 - but there has been another scheduling mishap at IDW which is beyond our control, and we only post previews as is once the embargo is broken by Newsarama and the such.

It's out of our hands, I'm afraid. :/
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby concrusher792 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:20 am

So does this mean Blackrock/Sovereign will become Alpha Trion's Titan Master, or will they pull a fast one on us and redeco the TR Alpha Trion mold in the comics and make it Onyx Prime, making Onyx's creation his head? I am surprised I did not realize that the TR Alpha Trion mold could be used for Onyx's bestial mode until now, even if its not as dragonish as his Aligned artwork.
Last edited by concrusher792 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
concrusher792
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Va'al » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 am

concrusher792 wrote:So does this mean Blackrock/Sovereign will become Alpha Trion's Titan Master, or will they pull a fast one on us and redeco the TR Alpha Trion mold in the comics and make it Onyx Prime, making Onyx's creation his head? I am surprised I did not realize that The Alpha Trion mold could be used for Onyx's bestial mode until now, even if its not as dragonish as his Aligned artwork.

More on this to be seen in the issue, next week! ;)
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW More Than Meets The Eye #56 - Nick Roche / Josh Burcham Cover Art

Postby Va'al » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 am

The other variant we have to show you this fine Monday is the Nick Roche / Josh Burcham subscription cover for this week's issue of Transformers More Than Meets the Eye #56 from IDW Publishing. The full preview can be seen here, and the Prowl-Fort Max stand-off right below!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Can't wait for this. Especially because of how much Fort Max was freaking out about wanting to tear Prowl limb from limb back in the early issues...
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby griftimus prime » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:09 am

Motto: "you will have no freedom. whether you are sentient or not."
Weapon: 16 Cannons
fantastic art
griftimus prime
Brainmaster
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Randomhero » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:38 am

Kurona wrote:Can't wait for this. Especially because of how much Fort Max was freaking out about wanting to tear Prowl limb from limb back in the early issues...

Jesus I totally forgot about that. People kept saying "fight fight fight!!" And I kept wondering why. Oh yeah...last stand of the wreckers and issue 6 of MTMTE...
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:01 am

Fort Max/Prowl/Red/Cerebros is gonna make for a good story this time around
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Kurona » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:39 am

I'm just wondering where the heck Prowl's BEEN. I mean we had Sins, but then he made one sort of cameo in ex-RID... 50, I think? And it looked like that was building up to something but he... wasn't in it again.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Va'al » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:43 am

Kurona wrote:I'm just wondering where the heck Prowl's BEEN. I mean we had Sins, but then he made one sort of cameo in ex-RID... 50, I think? And it looked like that was building up to something but he... wasn't in it again.

He probably just sits in shadows, sulking and learning how to tilt his head and make his fingertips touch perfectly. That, or he plays chess against Starscream, pretending he's Bumblebee's ghost.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:09 pm

Kurona wrote:I'm just wondering where the heck Prowl's BEEN. I mean we had Sins, but then he made one sort of cameo in ex-RID... 50, I think? And it looked like that was building up to something but he... wasn't in it again.

His story may be touched on in more detail in TF56 since that one comes before this one and it is an error that MTMTE is out first
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Va'al » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:25 pm

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

His story may be touched on in more detail in TF56 since that one comes before this one and it is an error that MTMTE is out first

I prefer my explation.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

I prefer my explation.

Of course.

Can't wait for TF56 though to find some more stuff out
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Va'al » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:52 pm

D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

I prefer my explation.

Of course.

...I was waiting for someone to say: 'Don't you mean explanation?'

So I could say, 'I was saving the NAh for now'.

Spoisport. [-(
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

I prefer my explation.

Of course.

...I was waiting for someone to say: 'Don't you mean explanation?'

So I could say, 'I was saving the NAh for now'.

Spoisport. [-(

Whoops, spoiled the Boss man's fun.

Gotta run, toot sweet
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Kurona » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

I prefer my explation.

"Don't you mean explanation?"

I've got this
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Va'al » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Kurona wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

I prefer my explation.

"Don't you mean explanation?"

I've got this

I was saving the NAH for this moment.

I knew I chose you for a reason
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW More Than Meets The Eye #56 Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:51 am

The End Is Nigh
A Somewhat Spoilerish Seibertron.com Review of More Than Meets The Eye 56

Synopsis
TITANS RETURN! On Luna 1, nothing ever happens—and as far as FORTRESS MAXIMUS and RED ALERT are concerned, nothing ever will. After all, who else could possibly be interested in the Luna 1’s birthing field and its graveyard full of dead Titans?

Who Indeed?

Story

With the ending of Issue 55, the main crew has been seen for the last time until December at least, the Lost Light has been seen for the last time until who knows when, and the Scavengers are not to be seen until More Than Meets The Eye: Revolution, so who does that leave? None other than IDW's Fortress Maximus, his partner Red Alert, and a bunch of guys and roboids that include Cerebros. Foreshadowing much?

Me and My Roboids

Well, it also seems that the crew has changed a good bit since they last put in an appearance too. For one thing, Cerebros is a wholly different character from before, but that should be nothing new, and it works for the story and the universe as a whole. Having a guy named after a head being associated with some distrustful pasts should be no surprise. It also plays well into Red Alert's story, and it is Red Alert who steals the whole story as well. But, one must not forget how Fortress Maximus has grown as a character, and it seems that he has finally progressed and fulfilled most of his storyline. Well done with the characterization of that duo.

These 2 Men, Well Done

Now as for the actual storyline, it has been pointed out many times and it is worth saying again for the purpose of the review: the comics did come out in an odd order, and thus this story feels like jumping in with not all the pieces ready, but that is hardly the books fault. Once Transformers 56 comes out, things will make much more sense. But for jumping in, it becomes very obvious right away that a lot of old plot lines are about ready to come to a close along with the More Than Meets The Eye name. It also means things are going out on a large, loud, fortissimo note, and the story is ready for it. It works for the dramaticism of an ending two-parter, and it is well written. Old plot points are dredged up, things that came out of nowhere make perfect sense in hindsight upon looking back over years of work, and of course fan favorites seem to never learn.

When someone asks why MTMTE came out first

There really isn't a bad part about the whole storyline. The only fault is the out-of-order release, but overall, we have a great 2-part story to round out the title, and it leaves us looking forward to the finale.

Art

Art for the Titans Return finale fall to Priscilla Tramontano, and compared to when we last saw her doing work on Windblade: Distant Stars, this is a very different beast. Tramontano bursts into the More Than Meets The Eye scene using some very nice and bold artwork, still incorporating her slight cartoony look, but producing something far different and more fitting for the book. Her art captures Milne's standard designs and work, but manages to soften them up a bit, producing something light yet beautiful to look at. The facial expressions are exactly what you would want, and despite having a faceplate, Cerebros manages to steal the show with his expressive speech. Sentinel also puts in a good show for the faceplates, but Fort Max and Red Alert don't disappoint either. There really are no flaws in art, everything is awesome!

Best of Both Worlds

Joana Lafuente does not disappoint with some nice coloring to go with the line art. The backgrounds are beautifully done, the up-close shots are nicely colored, the massive, sprawling titan yard is glorious to look at - and, of course, cannonfire.

Tom B. Long rounds out the full visual effect with some nice lettering and the ability to break up who is speaking and who is thinking words. He even gets in on the action of Red Alert's meta-commentary on comic speech bubbles, and makes that bit of meta-action truly enjoyable:

Downside to rooming with Swerve once upon a time: you too are subject to a Meta-Bomb

Final Thoughts

More Than Meets The Eye comes to a close next month with issue 57, and it seems that we are set to go out on a high note. The storylines are coming to a close in a very satisfactory way, the characterizations are on-point and are progressing in a good way, and the Titans Return aspect is present but is not intruding on the main comic point. The art is great, the colors and lettering are present and correct, the fourth wall was breached for a panel, and the scenery and characters are looking as they should. Everything for the story works, it all fits, and the only thing that is out of place is the release of the story, and even then the book is a great read. The finale has a lot to live up to, but I think that if this first part is any indication, it certainly will.

.:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: 1/2 Out Of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #56 Discussion Thread

Postby 1984forever » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:50 am

I didn't see any Red Alert.

False advertising.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby MemphisR56 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:54 am

Motto: "An inconvenience is just an adventure wrongly viewed!"
Weapon: Crossbow
1984forever wrote:I didn't see any Red Alert.

False advertising.

Is this a "that ain't my G1 red alert!" thing?
PSN: MemphisR56
Twitter: @Ratchphis

MemphisR56
Pretender
News Credits: 6
Watch MemphisR56 on YouTube
Buy from MemphisR56 on eBay
Strength: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 6

Postby Kurona » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:16 am

Roberts is pretty happy with your review, D-Max

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/ ... 4203260928
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Micro Machines Hauler Playset G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Beast Wars Walmart vtg reissue Hasbro 2021 New"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RETRAX Transformers Beast Wars Deluxe 100% complete vtg Hasbro 1997 230609A"
RETRAX Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS Transformers Legacy Deluxe G1 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
SKIDS Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #13 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 DEC210544 13B (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSMETAL II MEGATRON Transformers Legacy Evolution Leader Beast Wars New"
TRANSMETAL II MEGA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MP-56 TRAILBREAKER Transformers Masterpiece G1 Toyota Hasbro 2023 New"
NEW!
MP-56 TRAILBREAKER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CHEETOR Transformers Beast Machines McDonald's Fast Food Premium 2000 230313A"
CHEETOR Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers G2 DECEPTICON MADNESS Flip 'n' Fun Activity Pad 1993 230418A"
Transformers G2 DE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #10 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 SEP210480 10RI (CA) Coller"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 AUG210583 9A (CA) Burcham"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INFERNO Transformers G1 Autobot Cars complete + more Hasbro 1985 220807A"
INFERNO Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARCEE Transformers Studio Series 86-16 G1 Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
ARCEE Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210587 3B (CA) Padilla"
Transformers KING ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Optimus Prime and Diac" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Micronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON