This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
BUSTER HAS FLOATIES
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Va'al » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
This is fun. Not news, but definitely fun.
Burcham playing with colours.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Preview for IDW Optimus Prime 7

Postby william-james88 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
iTunes has a preview up for the upcoming Optimus Prime 7 comic.

Here is a description followed by the preview, enjoy!

Description
With the Junkion invasion resolved peacefully, Optimus Prime takes a moment to plan the Autobot's next move on Earth.

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

IDW Optimus Prime #8 Covers Revealed

Postby WreckerJack » Tue May 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
Preview World has posted Transformers: Optimus Prime #8 incentive cover and subscription cover B. We have posted them below so you can have a look to decide which cover you'd like before they become available.

The summary tells us that Jazz will have a leading role in this issue:
“Jazz confronts his past-and the Autobot’s future-in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime’s mission… or turn against it?”

The incentive cover has Optimus Prime and the Subscription cover features Jetfire. these comics will be available on June 14th, 2017.

WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7

Postby Kurona » Wed May 17, 2017 4:34 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
You know when you've recently fallen in love with a character who hasn't had the best past and/or recent history, so seeing them smiling in a peaceful situation by themselves doing something they probably enjoy makes you happy?

God I love that Jetfire cover.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Va'al » Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 pm

This is a really interesting analysis of Zama's layout work.
http://refinedrobotco.blogspot.it/2017/ ... -zama.html

Zama deploys some of those tools mentioned to work within the tight spaces of the page, to create tension and demonstrate space or a lack thereof. I want to break down two of my favourite pages from issue two. The interrogation of Jetfire by Prowl, two pages, one room.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Postby Va'al » Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 am

With the embargo broken by the regular sites, we can also share the preview directly from IDW for next week's Transformers comic Optimus Prime #7! Check out the full preview below, and let us know what you think of the book so far - while we prepare the review for its release!

Optimus Prime #7
John Barber (w) • Priscilla Tramontano (a) • Kei Zama (c)
With the Junkion invasion resolved peacefully, Optimus Prime takes a moment to plan the Autobot's next move on Earth.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Variant Cover for IDW Optimus Prime #8 by Kei Zama& Josh Burcham

Postby Va'al » Sat May 20, 2017 12:10 pm

With issue #7 hitting the stands next week, artist Kei Zama has shown off (after Previews World revealed it) the art for the following book in the Optimus Prime ongoing series from IDW Publishing - in which Casey Coller and JP Bove take on art duties! Lineart by Zama, and colours by Josh Burcham, you can check it out mirrored below.

(W) John Barber (A) Casey W. Coller (CA) Kei Zama
Jazz confronts his past-and the Autobot's future-in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime's mission... or turn against it?

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby steve2275 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Motto: "it may not get better
but it wont get any worse"
love all the arts
i come and go more than a hmw programmer
or a karma chameleon
BEAT L.A.
im content
WWWYKI!!!
steve2275
City Commander
Watch steve2275 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 2
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2

Postby budmaloney » Sat May 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Weapon: Sub-Machine Gun
I think the IDW Transformers series stopped being worth it as Combiner Wars started and the Titans Return finished. They felt so all over the place and IDW topped it off with Revolution which made no sense to me and just completely divested me from the series. MTME was the only thing I found made sense. It may be just me, but fragmenting the characters and stories with the Hasbro Universe became really confusing and difficult to follow. I haven't read Optimus Prime, and I'm not sure I will, but if Pyra Magna becomes the next leader of the Autobots or carries the matrix, I'd probably jump in. For now it's the long wait for Lost Light. Keep going strong Roberts.
I have a bad habit of not replying on time....you've been warned
budmaloney
Minibot
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Postby Kurona » Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm

I'd say that's a shame because if anything, Optimus Prime and Till All Are One have managed to supersede and be much better than their predecessors; creating probably some of the best Transformers stories period. Till All Are One in particular is what I'd consider to be the greatest of the three ongoings this year, but Optimus Prime is not far behind at all.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby budmaloney » Sat May 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Weapon: Sub-Machine Gun
The very last comic I read other than Lost Light, was the Titans Return Sentinel Prime and Optimus Raising Metroplex from the ground. So if I wanted to jump in, should I go with TAO since you recommend it? Then go Optimus? But won't I be lost with the whole ROM , Micronauts thing? Or will there be a trade coming out that consolidates the important connections.
I have a bad habit of not replying on time....you've been warned
budmaloney
Minibot
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Postby Kurona » Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 pm

budmaloney wrote:The very last comic I read other than Lost Light, was the Titans Return Sentinel Prime and Optimus Raising Metroplex from the ground. So if I wanted to jump in, should I go with TAO since you recommend it? Then go Optimus? But won't I be lost with the whole ROM , Micronauts thing? Or will there be a trade coming out that consolidates the important connections.

Right now the Hasbro Universe has been done how a shared universe should in theory be done best - you don't need to read ROM or GI Joe or whatever to follow what's going on in the one comic you actually want to read. They will provide extra details and context on what's going on in other places in the world; but thankfully, all the comics - including Optimus Prime - can act independently of each other. Essentially all you need to know is that G.I. Joe has replaced EDC - and even then the team seen interacting with Prime's team is largely made up of characters that were in ex-RiD; Spike, Talon etc.
So yeah, you can jump right in. You could read Revolution for a bit of extra context if you want, but to be honest it's not a very good story and I'd recommend just looking at a wikipedia article summary instead.

Come to think of it, your concerns aren't exactly uncommon - I'm not surprised that Revolution would make you hesitant to jump in, nor can I blame you; shared universe deals are always a bit iffy especially when a lot of people have grown tired and fatigued of constant events in a lot of comics. Maybe I should write up an article on this... :-?
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue May 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
This comic has made me really like Jetfire. I love what they did with his background, and this is where he and the Technobot's relationship starts! Yay!

I think those 6 go well together, and I'm glad the technobots are actually going to be in a comic again.
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Kurona » Tue May 23, 2017 6:46 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:This comic has made me really like Jetfire. I love what they did with his background, and this is where he and the Technobot's relationship starts! Yay!

I think those 6 go well together, and I'm glad the technobots are actually going to be in a comic again.

It's also kind of nice that they're continuing the theme of use-the-dead-guys in flashbacks. First Outback, then Horri-Bull, and now Nosecone. It's like Skids' flashbacks in MTMTE #48 and #49 where all those dead Predators and such showed up - I'm not sure if I should look into any deeper meaning here or if it's just kind of a cool thing.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue May 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Kurona wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:This comic has made me really like Jetfire. I love what they did with his background, and this is where he and the Technobot's relationship starts! Yay!

It's also kind of nice that they're continuing the theme of use-the-dead-guys in flashbacks. First Outback, then Horri-Bull, and now Nosecone. It's like Skids' flashbacks in MTMTE #48 and #49 where all those dead Predators and such showed up - I'm not sure if I should look into any deeper meaning here or if it's just kind of a cool thing.

we'll say cool thing. Cool things are cool
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Review of IDW Optimus Prime #7

Postby Va'al » Wed May 24, 2017 1:47 pm

The Heart in the Machine
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Look at this panel and smile

Story

As we saw last month, the first arc of the new ongoing series focusing on Optimus Prime - but really on Earth after Optimus annexed it to the Council of Worlds (yay space neocolonialism) - and the rebuilding phase is starting. Quite literally. But is everything as it seems in the newtopia of Little Cybertron?

..then this one, and weep

The usual John Barber device of captions to help the narration along is foregone here, in favour of the established parallels with flashbacks, and actual breathing space in character interactions, starting with Optimus and the President of the US, and Jazz's role in the next issue (but also the past). A change of pace, for sure, and a welcome one given the themes addressed in the book.

lol sex joke

Not only do we have parallels drawn between violence, guns and ostracism (in particular between Jetfire of the past and Optimus of the present), there are some less than subtle political commentaries on discrimination based on appearance or 'build', if you will - without ever getting preachy or entirely overt. More on this below.

Functionism. Casually

In terms of plot advancement, then, there is A LOT happening in the book too. A very nice balance achieved in using the characters and their actions/words to seed where the story might be going from here, with Arcee, the colonist recruits, Jazz - and most of all, of course, Pyra Magna.

Art

Taking the reins from Zama, Priscilla Tramontano shines as the artist on the book - and working on both lineart and colouring for the issue - especially in one specific case I want to address: the faceplateless Optimus. That, right there, is part of visual storytelling: Optimus at his non-warring, non-fighting, but coming face-to-face with his realisation from last issue, and as he speaks to humanity on a more common level.

How accessible does he look, right here?

Not the sole point to highlight about the art, of course, but one I wanted to reiterate nonetheless. Colour-wise, I found it fascinating how Tramontano was able to mimic Burcham's take so far, with the grainier texture, and add some extra light for the superficially lighter tone of the book, like a vibrant comma in the long sentence that is the ongoing series.

(though Rust Dust is missing a little red)

The lack of that many captions, though still some snarky name tags float around, means that we don't have as much from the hands of Tom B. Long - though there is a very good KRUNG if you wait for it. As for covers, we've seen all of them previously, bar Tramontano's own (in the thumbnail), featuring the Junkion-Optimus monument by Casey Coller and JP Bove, and its parody by Andrew Griffith and Josh Perez, plus of course the regular cover by Zama and Burcham. All can be seen in our database listing here!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

There is a lot more that can be said about this issue, for which I have very little time and space - but some of my thoughts on it are bounced off the Twincast in episode 175 of the podcast, due soon. In the meantime, I wanted to point out that of the many interactions we see in the book, I was glad to have something dealing with Arcee, and Aileron's role is still one that I'm intrigued about.

Am I the only one hearing ominous-ness here..?

Pyra Magna is still, however, the biggest presence outside of the titular character, even by just looking at the covers. There is a lot of talk not only about politics but also about faith (again, more thoughts in the podcast episode) in how her and OP interact and confront each other, and there is a lot - a lot - more to come out of this series.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: ½ out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed May 24, 2017 6:44 pm

I really enjoyed this issue. It was a "after the dust has settled" issue. It was nice to see nosecone pop up for a flashback since the poor guy has been dead for 6 years.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby ScottyP » Thu May 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
I despised the crosshatching texture, or at least my eyes did. Dizzying in a weird sort of way.

That aside, really darn good issue and the direction Pyra Magna is going in is fantastic fun to behold.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu May 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Now mind you I think it is a good thing for the book, but damn does Pyra piss me off! I'm not sure what it is about her, but she makes me grumpy and generally Brawn-y when I see her and hear her voice (if you call it that, since we now have a voice actor for her), but it's good this time! It adds some tension to the book for me and adds that somewhat good character who also makes her pages more interesting. Slide will totally be her slidekick too when she tries to overthrow Prime (which I still believe will lead into the IDW Power of the Primes thingy, we all know it's coming).

Also, Sideswipe. I know he comes back in 2 issues, but I love what they have done with him and Arcee. I feel like she will be crucial in his "recovery" (based on the cover if you can call it that) too, using her experience coupled with with Aileron's words
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Kurona » Thu May 25, 2017 5:46 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:hear her voice (if you call it that, since we now have a voice actor for her)

Wait, what? Who?! :D
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu May 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Kurona wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:hear her voice (if you call it that, since we now have a voice actor for her)

Marissa mentioned that Pyra sounds like Elizabeth Taylor
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Kurona » Thu May 25, 2017 5:51 pm

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Oooh right, durr. That's fun~
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ScottyP » Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Kurona wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Oooh right, durr. That's fun~
It's all fun and games until the pungent scent of White Diamonds perfume hits your nose :SICK:
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Va'al » Fri May 26, 2017 2:34 am

ScottyP wrote:I despised the crosshatching texture, or at least my eyes did. Dizzying in a weird sort of way.

I can see how that might affect some readers, actually, now that you mention it. :-?

I thought it was a very good way of blending Tramontano's glossier colouring style with Burcham's texture.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #5 Cvr T FOC Dynamite Comics 2023 FEB238439 5T (CA) Haeser 231208R"
GARGOYLES #5 Cvr T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr T Unlockable Boom Studios Comics OCT220288 1T (CA) Clarke"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr N 1:25 Dynamite Comics JUN230673 2N (CA) Henderson"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #9 Cvr H 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney JUN230686 9H (CA) Nakayama"
GARGOYLES #9 Cvr H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #100 BSE Boom Studios Comics OCT230183 Bernardo"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #1 Cvr I 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 MAY230481 1I (CA) Moss"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr I 1:15 Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney NOV220591 2I (CA) Nakayama"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #4 Cvr D Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney JAN230641 4D (CA) Leirix"
GARGOYLES #4 Cvr D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #108 Cvr A Boom Studios Comics 2023 MAR230263 108A"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #110 Cvr A Boom Studios Comics 2023 MAY230342 110A"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #3 Cvr Y 1:10 FOC Dynamite Comics DEC228475 3Y (CA) Lee"
GARGOYLES #3 Cvr Y ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #113 Cvr B Dark Grid Boom Studios Comics 2023 113B"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR THE RETURN #3 Cvr C 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2024 FEB240071 3C (CA) Montes"
NEW!
MMPR THE RETURN #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #8 Cvr I 1:10 AF Dynamite Comics 2023 MAY230551 8I (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #8 Cvr I ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Alpha Bravo Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Autobot Hound" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON