This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby ScottyP » Fri May 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Va'al wrote:
ScottyP wrote:I despised the crosshatching texture, or at least my eyes did. Dizzying in a weird sort of way.

I can see how that might affect some readers, actually, now that you mention it. :-?

I thought it was a very good way of blending Tramontano's glossier colouring style with Burcham's texture.
I appreciated the intent and it kind of worked for the Cybertron scenes, but when it carried over to the Earth stuff I got a bit disoriented. No big deal, went and picked up my last few weeks of pulls and it isn't as bad on ink and paper as on a screen.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Kurona » Fri May 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Crosshatching?
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Va'al » Sat May 27, 2017 2:46 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Kurona wrote:Crosshatching?

Square pixel grains in the backgrounds, across the whole issue.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

iTunes Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #8

Postby Va'al » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:23 pm

In yet more comics news, but probably the last for now, from iTunes, we have a three-page preview of Optimus Prime #8 - aka the Jazz-centric issue with art by Casey Coller and colours with JP Bove! Check it out below, and head back in a couple of weeks for more.

Jazz confronts his past—and the Autobot’s future—in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime's mission... or turn against it?

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Man I love Caseys Art. Always have. I get why he doesn't do interiors but I wish he did.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Kurona » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Oh, we're back to this art! Fantastic! Zama's style grew on me and I do recognise how it was appropriate for the story, and Tramontano I'm also a fan of; but Casey's is my absolute favourite for this book and helped make ex-RiD so great.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:17 pm

I think Johana is a better for his line art however. Josh is a good colorist but his coloring is just too inconsistent anymore. With Guido he uses a very realistic modern comic style. With Alex and Zama is uses too much of a old school dot color style and with Casey Nick and Andrew its just so saturated. feels joyless sometimes. its a little jarring at times.

It's nice to see John doing some more coloring though it's very flat
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ScottyP » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Dear IDWGodJesusAllahXenuJosephSmithKrishnuMosesCthuluITriedAndHopeYourDeityOfChoiceOrNoChoiceWasListed,

Please put Casey Coller on an ongoing.

That is all,

Scotty.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Bounti76 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Can we please get rid of the damn captions? Anyone reading this book knows who everyone is.
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Nexus Knight » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:32 am

Motto: ""I fight for the honor of those whom the Decepticons crush under their pathetic heel.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Bounti76 wrote:Can we please get rid of the damn captions? Anyone reading this book knows who everyone is.

Uh, no? Considering some monthly readers may not be as into Transformers as others and have to live a life, it's not hard to see how they could forget the names of some of these lesser known bots.
Favorite quotes from The Transformers: The Movie-

"Ride in style!" Hot Rod (ever humble)

"Such heroic nonsense" Megatron

"I have better things to do tonight than die" Springer

"Till the day that all are one" Optimus Prime

"I belong to no one!" Megatron

"This is bad comedy" Galvatron (seeing Starscream's last bid for control)

"Ba wee gra na weep nini bong" Universal Greeting

"Till all are one" Rodimus Prime
Nexus Knight
Combiner
News Credits: 11
Alt Mode: Arsonist SnowCat and Stargazer
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Bounti76 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:20 am

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Nexus Knight wrote:
Bounti76 wrote:Can we please get rid of the damn captions? Anyone reading this book knows who everyone is.

Uh, no? Considering some monthly readers may not be as into Transformers as others and have to live a life, it's not hard to see how they could forget the names of some of these lesser known bots.

How about, yeah? If it's a book you subscribe to every month, regardless of how fanatical you are about Transformers, wouldn't you care enough about your monetary investment to follow along with the narrative and learn the names of the characters in the book you're paying for? Lost Light doesn't caption every single issue. Till All Are One doesn't. I genuinely don't understand why OP has to do it all the time, considering all three are books with relatively large casts (TAAO's being the smallest).
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 6

Postby Nexus Knight » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 am

Motto: ""I fight for the honor of those whom the Decepticons crush under their pathetic heel.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Bounti76 wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:

How about, yeah? If it's a book you subscribe to every month, regardless of how fanatical you are about Transformers, wouldn't you care enough about your monetary investment to follow along with the narrative and learn the names of the characters in the book you're paying for? Lost Light doesn't caption every single issue. Till All Are One doesn't. I genuinely don't understand why OP has to do it all the time, considering all three are books with relatively large casts (TAAO's being the smallest).

Not everyone has a good memory. Paying for something doesn't mean you instantly remember everything you read/watched. I know people who care a lot about their stories, but sometimes have to be remind even what the heck is going on.
Favorite quotes from The Transformers: The Movie-

"Ride in style!" Hot Rod (ever humble)

"Such heroic nonsense" Megatron

"I have better things to do tonight than die" Springer

"Till the day that all are one" Optimus Prime

"I belong to no one!" Megatron

"This is bad comedy" Galvatron (seeing Starscream's last bid for control)

"Ba wee gra na weep nini bong" Universal Greeting

"Till all are one" Rodimus Prime
Nexus Knight
Combiner
News Credits: 11
Alt Mode: Arsonist SnowCat and Stargazer
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Kurona » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 am

I think it would be better if there was a page before the story that showed pictures of characters, with their names and a tiny description below.

Like, for instance...

Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #8

Postby Va'al » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:22 pm

The third and final preview for next week's releases from IDW Publishing Transformers comics comes in the form of Optimus Prime #8, out this Wednesday - which is when our review will be going up too. Read more below courtesy of CBR, and enjoy Casey Coller's return to interior art!

Jazz confronts his past—and the Autobot’s future—in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime’s mission… or turn against it?

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Hector Ramirez...because why not. This is awesome.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #9

Postby Va'al » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Courtesy of Previews World, we have two variant covers for IDW Publishing's Optimus Prime #9 - the main retail one, and the retailer incentive by fan artist Zerob! Very Arcee-centric either way, but you can check them out below! And note: they include the wrong credits in at the top of the book, with variant A still sporting issue 8's names, unless it's referring to the cover artist, in which case Casey Coller is indeed the culprit.

THE LIFE OF SIDESWIPE! A Junkion machine finally gives long-injured Sideswipe a new lease on life! But when his brother goes missing, Sideswipe and Arcee return to Cybertron-and nothing will be the same between them ever again.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Deadput » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
The heck does Sideswipe need a respirator for?

And what even is that second cover?
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby Kurona » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Deadput wrote:The heck does Sideswipe need a respirator for?

And what even is that second cover?

The respirator is simply thematic and symbolic; covers are supposed to grab a reader's attention and sometimes tell them what's actually going on inside the issue, so without context Sideswipe just floating in a jar wouldn't really convey his medical condition. A respirator allows that to be communicated to the reader.

And yeah, the anatomy and proportions on the second cover are all out of whack.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby TF-fan kev777 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Kurona wrote:And yeah, the anatomy and proportions on the second cover are all out of whack.

Kinda like she went to the plastic surgeon and said, "Can you make my 2 boobs look like a single car hood?"
TF-fan kev777
City Commander
News Credits: 42
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Skill: 7

Postby Kurona » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:25 pm

TF-fan kev777 wrote:
Kurona wrote:And yeah, the anatomy and proportions on the second cover are all out of whack.

Kinda like she went to the plastic surgeon and said, "Can you make my 2 boobs look like a single car hood?"

... but, she's... consistently looked like that not just in the book, but throughout the entire continuity? With the exception of Heart of Darkness, but that wasn't flattering to anybody...
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
Kurona wrote:... but, she's... consistently looked like that not just in the book, but throughout the entire continuity? With the exception of Heart of Darkness, but that wasn't flattering to anybody...

My favorite look for arcee is still her Alex Milne design. Still love that weird no cheek look she had. Also

TF-fan kev777 wrote:Kinda like she went to the plastic surgeon and said, "Can you make my 2 boobs look like a single car hood?"

That's how most of the Autobot cars look anyway. Add in Shockwave and his glass boob shelf, and we have some extreme cases of back pain.
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
News Credits: 25
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Endurance: 7
Skill: 7

Review of IDW Optimus Prime #8

Postby Va'al » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:55 am

But Who Is Jazz, Really?
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
Jazz confronts his past—and the Autobot’s future—in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime's mission... or turn against it?

Hey, I got here eventually

Story

Once again, I find myself apologising for the lateness of this review - let's call it doing an IDW shall we? just to make me feel better - and making it fall so close to all the Transformers: The Last Knight news. On the other hand, the IDW Optimus Prime ongoing in unquestionably good and staying good, so swings and roundabouts!

Topical

The usual framing device that John Barber uses for most of his TF writing is replaced here by a fairly ingenious magazine style interview - the very same interview that has been prepared in previous issues leading up to this one - with the perspective being Jazz, playing along pretty much behind the scenes all along so far.

..except, well, you know..

Jazz, as pointed out in the previous issues, is an interesting choice of character - Cybertronian character - for a first big mediatic approach to Earth after Optimus' power-grab/forced annexation/colonialist actions. And all of those threads come up, and create the crux of the story...

Hmmmmmmmm

But, while Jazz is indeed the main player and spotlight taker in the issue - almost literally - Jetfire and Pyra Magna also take on some very shiny roles, both in flashbacks and present for the former, and the present and a potential future for the latter. There are things afoot, and there are still creases to smoothen out from the past. Hopefully before everything spirals again.

Art

Zama is away from the book again this month, letting Casey W Coller to cover the interior art for a change. And Coller's art has a regularity to it, a crisp, linear feel to the lines and outlines of the character designs and layouts, that may very much appeal to recent readers - and fits perfectly with the framing device of the script.

Just look at it..

The artistic collaboration here is with John Paul Bove, and a special one it is at that. Bove has shown how he can mimic several colour styles in the past (and is the colour wizard behind the Hachette definitive collection, too), but what he does here is keep the continuity with Burcham while also adding a lot of his own shine to it.

..look at it!

Of course, Tom B. Long is on lettering, and the different formats offer a whole new playground for his skills too - I actually wonder how much of his production set went into the final look of the issue, and if so, he was excellent. As for the covers, the thumbnail spotlights the Coller/Bove variant, but all the other versions of excellent art can be found in our database entry!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The magazine style interview is not an entirely original comics device (recently seen in the likes of The Wicked and The Divine, for example) but the way that it's employed in his issue, and how Barber manages to blend this new toy with his trademark running POV commentary - and how it feeds directly into the story - is extremely pleasing, and satisfying.

OH! THIS is when it happens

The characters, with Jetfire and Pyra Magna taking the biggest chunk, have some very very nice developments in backgrounds and perspective, and there's plotting and planning set up for things about to happen - plus gorgeous designs from Coller and Bove, covers included. Why would you not want to pick up this issue, you cool cats you?

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: + out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:17 am

I think this might be my favourite issue yet - I've fallen completely in love with Jazz and Jetfire. This is up there with Soundwaves and MTMTE Revolution as one of the best standalone issues in IDW Transformers imo
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 am

I loved it but I was really expecting Jazz to say something like "look, he was going to kill my friend and commander. I did what I had to do. I'm not proud of it and I can't ask for forgiveness but I ask to let me help"

That's all I really wanted. Not to say this was a bad issue at all. Casey is my fav artist and john is my fav writer and it was a solid issue.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:55 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Randomhero wrote:I loved it but I was really expecting Jazz to say something like "look, he was going to kill my friend and commander. I did what I had to do. I'm not proud of it and I can't ask for forgiveness but I ask to let me help"

I was hoping Jazz would mention that too, and maybe even mention how said friend then saved the universe (maybe not so much that last part). But it was a great issue, the best of OP so far IMO
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR #115 Cvr H unlockable Boom Studios Comics 2023 OCT230081 115H (CA) Montes"
MMPR #115 Cvr H un ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #118 Cvr D 1:10 Boom Studios Comics JAN240056 118D"
NEW!
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Garbage Pail Kids TRASHIN THROUGH TIME #4 Cvr A Dynamite Comics NOV230231 4A GPK"
NEW!
Garbage Pail Kids ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #1 Cvr D RI 1:25 IDW Comics 2023 1D 1RI (CA) Federici"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #9 Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics 2024 OCT231366 9D (CA) Levins"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #148 Cvr B IDW Comics 2024 DEC231061 148B Turtles Ongoing (CA) Eastman"
TMNT #148 Cvr B ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #143 Cvr C 1:10 RI IDW Comics JUL231252 143C Turtles Ongoing (CA) Sanchez"
TMNT #143 Cvr C 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr O LTD virgin Dynamite Comics AUG230330 11O Nakayama 231222I"
NEW!
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #4 Cvr E Boom Studios Comics 2023 JAN230391 4E (CA) Clarke"
MMPR TMNT II #4 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #9 Cvr L 1:20 Dynamite Comics 2023 JUN230690 9L (CA) Parrillo"
GARGOYLES #9 Cvr L ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #3 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2023 JUL230279 3B (CA) Quah"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 APR231619 4A (CA) Sakai"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #2 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 APR231627 2C (CA) Reilly"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #10 Cvr C Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney JUL230329 10C (CA) Leirix"
GARGOYLES #10 Cvr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime Action Figure (Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Cosmos" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Autobot Hound" on AMAZON